Robotic Bean presents Resonans, Reason`s first physical modelling synthesizer!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
miscend

06 May 2017

Some of the sounds posted above remind me of Kaivo
http://madronalabs.com/products/kaivo

dvdrtldg

06 May 2017

Getting some really strange & beautiful sounds out of this thing and I haven't even run audio through it yet

Noise
Competition Winner

06 May 2017

Resonans Brass Stabs vs Parsec Brassy.patch
Didn't tweak any of the patches.

I've been comparing Parsec with Resonans, just to make sure this was a useful add-on to my library, but I don't know.. Parsec is already giving similar type of sounds like the ones from Resonans. Parsec in the Mallets and Plucks department is delivering very good patches, like the ones in Resonans.
If you are coming from parsec, I guess you will get that feeling of "I've heard this before" lol.

Have to admit Resonans has is own thing going on, sounds "looks" more clean and pure. Back to more trialing.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

electrofux

06 May 2017

Actually i didnt want to buy more synths for a while but this is tempting me. I like the sound and the tweeks - unusual things going on. Was surprised that there are some very deep basses.

buddard
RE Developer

06 May 2017

kungubu wrote:The Oliver Gillet code you're referring to – is it so that the resonator is based on Rings?
Yeah, that's spot on! Both of the current models are adapted from Rings. There were quite a few modifications I had to do to make them fit better in the context of a standalone polyphonic instrument, for example how they handle external audio. I also had to do some pretty heavy optimizations of the modal resonator to make it polyphonic (without reducing the resolution like the original module does) without killing the CPU.

buddard
RE Developer

06 May 2017

Loque wrote:The intro price is only till end of may. This may(!) be a bit short for a challange and a buy if lose.
That's a good point! Once all the details are set we will probably extend the intro price so that it runs a couple of days past the deadline.

buddard
RE Developer

06 May 2017

manisnotabird wrote: Couple minor things I've noticed: some of the presets are very quiet. Seems like the Modal Resonator is biased towards the left channel (if the spread is above zero, of course).
The presets are peak normalized at -12dB, without taking loudness into account. And the "crest factor" of this synth can be wildly varying and kind of unpredictable due to the nature of the synthesis method. So it was a bit of a dilemma for us.
manisnotabird wrote: Wish there was a way to use the "detect transients" mode with audio in, without each key press triggering impulse (i.e. just the external audio doing the triggering---the keys just changing notes/chords). When you play a chord and then let go, often only one note of that chord keeps playing with the external audio, wish there was some kind of intelligent hold.
This was not an easy problem to solve, and I agree that the detect transient mode is not ideal in this respect. It's definitely something I'm still thinking about, and if I find another feasible solution I might add it as an option in a future update.

Thanks for the feedback!

jfrichards

06 May 2017

normen wrote:So cool, been waiting for something like this! I love Logic's Sculpture, its the only thing I miss since I started doing all my synth stuff in Reason.
Sculpture has been one of the four reasons I go into Logic once in a while (the others being the Bosendorfer grand, the wav/caf drum loops, and when I need to score something). I've gradually moved tons of drum loops from Logic into Reason Rex files, my sight-reading buddy moved to Australia, and now there's Resonans. I can live without a Bosendorfer and the Parsec 2 grand is superb, so it looks like bye bye to Logic.

rcbuse
RE Developer

06 May 2017

Love this this, playing around...

jfrichards

06 May 2017

rcbuse wrote:Love this this, playing around...
And we all know your generated patches for Resonans is going to be KUUUU-razy.

Dare I think about Resonans with Fritz or Shape? No, I'm too fragile.

PSoames

06 May 2017

I've just been doing the same with PSQ, Fritz and Resonans.

I haven't a clue what's going on, but I've got shivers running down my spine with some of the sounds I'm getting out of this unholy trinity.

PSoames

06 May 2017

jfrichards wrote:

You beat me to it John.

I think I might actually be getting sexually aroused mucking about with these. And as Mrs PSoames will attest that hasn't happened in years.

RB and Lectric Panda have saved my marriage. ;)
Last edited by PSoames on 07 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

jfrichards

06 May 2017

PSoames wrote:...I've got shivers running down my spine with some of the sounds I'm getting out of this unholy trinity.
Add a Parsec with those three in a combinator (especially with the new NS Luminosity refill), and say hello to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Last edited by jfrichards on 06 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

PSoames

06 May 2017

jfrichards wrote:
PSoames wrote:...I've got shivers running down my spine with some of the sounds I'm getting out of this unholy trinity.
Add a Parsec with those three in a combinator (especially with the new NRS Luminosity refill), and say hello to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Oh My!

"Mrs PSoames, break out the KY! Daddy's home!"
Last edited by PSoames on 07 May 2017, edited 2 times in total.

buddard
RE Developer

06 May 2017

jfrichards wrote:

That track sounds awesome!

And yes, I can confirm that Resonans + Fritz is a pretty rad combo. I did this a lot during development and would just get stuck playing around and listening to the same 2 bar loop for hours, modulating the hell out of both devices. :lol:

Kuranes

06 May 2017

rcbuse wrote:
eusti wrote:Interesting demos... Might be a tad unfortunate in regards to timing this release... Just before May Madness and at the same day Spire dropped at a super discounted $ 59... Anyway, here's the link to the shop: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/
I don't know about that. Resonans is hitting new territory here. I'm waaay more excited about this than ReSpire. It really reminds me of Mutable Instruments Elements, which is awesome. ReSpire... yea, not even going to bother trying that.
I think you are right, Panda. Now that I've tried Resonans, I realize I was a bit overwhelmed yesterday by all the drama around ReSpire. I thought I had to defend Reveal for all the hard work they've done against the criticism they received. But in the face of Resonans beauty... That is, how it should be done. Full of new fascinating possibilities, and without any obvious bugs.

Although I didn't plan to purchase anything new in the foreseable future, I now know I have to buy this RE. Not just because it is a wonderful instrument. But also to encourage Robotic Bean (and other devs like you!) to keep on exploring new ways of making music away from the mainstream.

(BTW: Can't wait for Nostromo 2.0 !)
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-del-vecchio

Gardinski

07 May 2017

This is stupendously lovely. I've just lost an hour and a half playing with it (having promised myself I'd just have a quick tinker for a minute or two), and it is without doubt one of the best sounding REs I've heard.

It's tremendous fun to play with. To my mind, this is a much more interesting piece of kit than Spire. I hope it's a real success for Mr Bean.

Gardinski

07 May 2017

buddard wrote:Yeah, that's spot on! Both of the current models are adapted from Rings.
I'm intrigued by your use of the word "current". Does that mean there's a possibility of future updates with additional models, or am I reading too much into it? :puf_bigsmile:

Lov2sing

09 May 2017

BoldIcon wrote:
Lov2sing wrote:If this is anything close to Yamaha' VL1 then it's an instant buy for me. That was one great board which they used the same technology in the EX5 and the sounds were incredible in it too. Way to go, can't wait to try it out.
I had an EX5 back in the day! I'd like to hear updates as to your thoughts about this new RE after you try it.
Ok I tried it out and the concept is sound but if I compared it to the EX5 then it is lacking controls for breath manipulation which some how they would need to add a ribbon controller (don't know how they would do that). The other thing is the sound set patches. They did not focus on real instruments like Yamaha did; therefore I cannot compare it apples to apples. On an update please give more real instruments and this would give some hardware a run for the money, IMO. I will purchase it due to the fact I get things based on need and this is a need for orchestra playing. I'm waiting to get a wind controller which will make this RE come alive. Oh do a trombone sound and you will understand you need a ribbon controller to do the slides. All in all they have created a great RE.
We make music for a reason

Biolumin3sc3nt

09 May 2017

I've been getting some other worldly stuff too, running PSQ and Resonans. I still have no idea what the hell im doing in PSQ lol - Randomize baBY
Great job on this new synth Robotic Bean. I would totally do a buy now, but im strapped for even gas money right now. I approve tho and ill put it in the - "need to get later bin" ! Well done

kungubu

09 May 2017

Is there any chance for us nerds to actually get to know whats happening when we turn the brightness and structure knobs in the two algorithms? I mean I hear whats happening when I turn them – I mean what am I actually doing when I'm turning the knobs?

Biolumin3sc3nt

10 May 2017

the only thing i can think for us nerds is: ReasonTalk - of course we'll talk about this Synth

geronimo

10 May 2017

kungubu wrote:Is there any chance for us nerds to actually get to know whats happening when we turn the brightness and structure knobs in the two algorithms?
A page 7 in this document, this commands are described . ;)

http://roboticbean.com/support/resonans ... _Guide.pdf

buddard
RE Developer

10 May 2017

kungubu wrote:Is there any chance for us nerds to actually get to know whats happening when we turn the brightness and structure knobs in the two algorithms? I mean I hear whats happening when I turn them – I mean what am I actually doing when I'm turning the knobs?
As geronimo says, there is a general description in the User Guide. However, it doesn't go into much detail, so I'll provide som extra information here. :puf_smile:

What's common for both models is that the range of the Brightness knob is split into two parts: The first half of the range controls an additional lowpass filter on the impulse signal, before the physical models. The second half of the range is interpreted by each model.

Modal Resonator

The modal resonator is basically a bank of up to 60 resonant bandpass filters per voice, which are used to separate the impulse signal into partials. This is why it's a good idea to use an impulse with lots of harmonic contents, for example noise. So the filters will emphasize different frequencies of the impulse and make them ring out longer by cranking up the resonance. The stereo image is created by sending odd partials to the left channel, and even partials to the right channel.
  1. Structure affects the frequency spacing between the partials
  2. Brightness affects the resonance settings of the upper partials
  3. Damping affects the overall resonance amounts
  4. Position affects the amplitude relationships between the partials
Inharmonic String

Inharmonic string is based on the Karplus-Strong algorithm that uses fractional delay lines (comb filters) to simulate wave propagations in a string. The feedback loop contains an absorption filter (lowpass) and a dispersion filter (allpass), and the delay times are modulated.
  1. Structure affects detuning and modulation amounts
  2. Brightness affects the cutoff of the absorption filter
  3. Damping affects the feedback amount via the absorption filter
  4. Position affects the phase relationships between the stereo channels among other things

buddard
RE Developer

10 May 2017

By the way, Resonans 1.0.2 update is out now. It addresses two bugs that were found after the release:
  • Browsing samples during playback could result in a crash
  • Newly allocated voices could produce unwanted sounds on note on under some circumstances

• Information