Robotic Bean presents Resonans, Reason`s first physical modelling synthesizer!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
electrofux

10 May 2017

Just out of interest, do the Algos somehow relate to the Korg Prophecies VM Models?

bxbrkrz

10 May 2017

buddard wrote:By the way, Resonans 1.0.2 update is out now. It addresses two bugs that were found after the release:
  • Browsing samples during playback could result in a crash
  • Newly allocated voices could produce unwanted sounds on note on under some circumstances
Already a bug fix? I don' know for sure but it seems your timing releasing Resonans was perfect. :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

kungubu

10 May 2017

buddard wrote:
kungubu wrote:Is there any chance for us nerds to actually get to know whats happening when we turn the brightness and structure knobs in the two algorithms? I mean I hear whats happening when I turn them – I mean what am I actually doing when I'm turning the knobs?
As geronimo says, there is a general description in the User Guide. However, it doesn't go into much detail, so I'll provide som extra information here. :puf_smile:

What's common for both models is that the range of the Brightness knob is split into two parts: The first half of the range controls an additional lowpass filter on the impulse signal, before the physical models. The second half of the range is interpreted by each model.

Modal Resonator

The modal resonator is basically a bank of up to 60 resonant bandpass filters per voice, which are used to separate the impulse signal into partials. This is why it's a good idea to use an impulse with lots of harmonic contents, for example noise. So the filters will emphasize different frequencies of the impulse and make them ring out longer by cranking up the resonance. The stereo image is created by sending odd partials to the left channel, and even partials to the right channel.
  1. Structure affects the frequency spacing between the partials
  2. Brightness affects the resonance settings of the upper partials
  3. Damping affects the overall resonance amounts
  4. Position affects the amplitude relationships between the partials
Inharmonic String

Inharmonic string is based on the Karplus-Strong algorithm that uses fractional delay lines (comb filters) to simulate wave propagations in a string. The feedback loop contains an absorption filter (lowpass) and a dispersion filter (allpass), and the delay times are modulated.
  1. Structure affects detuning and modulation amounts
  2. Brightness affects the cutoff of the absorption filter
  3. Damping affects the feedback amount via the absorption filter
  4. Position affects the phase relationships between the stereo channels among other things
Thanks

of course I read the manual before I asked the question.

just a few follow ups,

In the modal resonator – you say up to 60 resonators, which knob affects the number of resonators, or is the amount dependent on the frequency. If when the structure knob is at 26,5 the resonators are in tune, but how does the detuning work in the different direktions?

In the Inharmonic string – since it is a karplus strong synthesis the frequency adjusts the delay time, and the structure knob makes this delay time less tuned, but you say it also affect modulation amounts – what kind of modulation?

buddard
RE Developer

10 May 2017

kungubu wrote: In the modal resonator – you say up to 60 resonators, which knob affects the number of resonators, or is the amount dependent on the frequency. If when the structure knob is at 26,5 the resonators are in tune, but how does the detuning work in the different direktions?
Not up to 60 resonators, but up to 60 bandpass filters that divide the signal into partials. You're correct in that the fundamental frequency affects the number of partials. It's because the fundamental frequency is where you have the first partial, or first harmonic. The rest of the partials are added above the fundamental in intervals determined by the Structure setting (with Structure around 25 the interval is the frequency itself). Once you get close to the Nyquist frequency (samplerate / 2), you stop adding more partials. So the higher the note you play, the fewer number of partials are needed.
kungubu wrote: In the Inharmonic string – since it is a karplus strong synthesis the frequency adjusts the delay time, and the structure knob makes this delay time less tuned, but you say it also affect modulation amounts – what kind of modulation?
It's based on Karplus-Strong, but it's a little more advanced. Among other things, the main delay line has two playheads whose positions are being modulated, and there's an allpass filter in the feedback loop in addition to the regular absorption filter.

rcbuse
RE Developer

18 May 2017

LectricPandaResonans.jpg
LectricPandaResonans.jpg (226.81 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Lectric Panda Generates Resonans Refill.
http://lectricpanda.com/

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

Incredible!

buddard
RE Developer

18 May 2017

rcbuse wrote: Lectric Panda Generates Resonans Refill.
http://lectricpanda.com/
Awesome! I'm downloading it now. :D

WongoTheSane

18 May 2017

Amazing!

Faastwalker

18 May 2017

How about a collaboration between LectricPanda & RoboticBean (RoboticPanda / LectricBean?!) to create a series of EuroRack inspired RE's? Can you imagine? Would almost certainly yield some of the most exciting & interesting devices we'd ever seen. Something I feel these two developers have already achieved with their current arsenal of amazing RE's.

rcbuse
RE Developer

18 May 2017

Faastwalker wrote:How about a collaboration between LectricPanda & RoboticBean (RoboticPanda / LectricBean?!) to create a series of EuroRack inspired RE's? Can you imagine? Would almost certainly yield some of the most exciting & interesting devices we'd ever seen. Something I feel these two developers have already achieved with their current arsenal of amazing RE's.
Robolectic Pandabean
CONCEPT_ALT_49d604675bcff_etcbot.png
CONCEPT_ALT_49d604675bcff_etcbot.png (92.47 KiB) Viewed 4108 times

Bumbum

19 May 2017

rcbuse wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:How about a collaboration between LectricPanda & RoboticBean (RoboticPanda / LectricBean?!) to create a series of EuroRack inspired RE's? Can you imagine? Would almost certainly yield some of the most exciting & interesting devices we'd ever seen. Something I feel these two developers have already achieved with their current arsenal of amazing RE's.
Robolectic Pandabean

oh crap! make this happen :D :D

WongoTheSane

19 May 2017

Nostromans and Resonitz confirmed.

challism

20 May 2017

This same exact thought has crossed my mind a few times. I would LOVE to see what these two geniuses might come up with if they worked together. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

20 May 2017

Srsly guys....what a very nice sounding synth! Gratulations RB!
Reason12, Win10

Faastwalker

22 May 2017

rcbuse wrote:
Robolectic Pandabean

Yes, yes, yes!! :D

I've got some ideas about RE devices I'd love to see & you guys would be the perfect developers I believe :cool:

In my dreams, this is already happening :geek:

buddard
RE Developer

24 May 2017

rcbuse wrote: Robolectic Pandabean

Hah, another classic!

Faastwalker

25 May 2017

buddard wrote:
rcbuse wrote: Robolectic Pandabean

Hah, another classic!

I've got some ideas. Can I PM you guys?

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 May 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
You are welcome to send ideas, but be warned, there is positively no shortage of ideas. If RB is anything like me, he also has notebooks of ideas as well. Now, if you PM me some free time... that would be sweet. :puf_wink:

Faastwalker

25 May 2017

rcbuse wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
You are welcome to send ideas, but be warned, there is positively no shortage of ideas. If RB is anything like me, he also has notebooks of ideas as well. Now, if you PM me some free time... that would be sweet. :puf_wink:
I thought that may be the case. There are no shortage of fantastic RE's from you guys. But, yes. Not enough hours in the day ........ I did actually sign up as a RE developer a year or so ago. I had a grand idea I would hire & work with some more talented people than myself to help realize my ideas. But alas time, and money, have laid waste to my best intentions. I guess I could learn all this stuff myself ........ expect my first proper RE in about 10 years time in that case!! :shock:

buddard
RE Developer

30 May 2017

rcbuse wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
Can confirm, lack of ideas is definitely not the bottleneck for me either. But there's of course always room for better ideas, so keep them coming! :)

buddard
RE Developer

30 May 2017

By the way, the introduction price of Resonans will be extended to after the winners of the song challenge have been announced. The new preliminary end date is June 6th, but it might be extended further! I'll keep you posted.

KirkMarkarian

15 Jun 2017

Just bought this synth. Just beautiful. I've only just delved into the string and percussive aspects of it today, and am looking forward to working on pads and other modulated bits soon. And paired with Fritz? Oh man! Can't wait!

Lov2sing

16 Jun 2017

Since you are open to ideas, then get the sounds for the Yamaha VL / EX5 and you will cover just about everything I could ever want. Being I do more cinematic, jazz and gospel themes this system would give realism to real instrument manipulations. thanks I really like it. :ugeek:
We make music for a reason

jonheal

16 Jun 2017

rcbuse wrote:
Robolectic Pandabean

Looks like Locutus of Borg.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

WillyOD

17 Jun 2017

Hey, just noticed this (for some reason though it was a refill before). Sounds pretty amazing! I'm gonna trial this during the summer, hopefully we'll get a another sale before autumn.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

• Information