Reveal Sound ReSpire in the shop x $59 !!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
stp2015

05 May 2017

EdGrip wrote:I'm going to cautiously treat it as if €59 is what this synth costs and it's as good as it's going to get. And I think I'd rather keep the money for something else.
Do you really think this is as good as it will get?

IMHO they will - at the very least - iron out the bugs and make all important parameters available for automation. Most likely, they will also add CV features (which they said they are currently working on). I think they have too much of a reputation to lose to just drop this project or leave it half assed after promising publicly that they would fix it.

Oquasec

05 May 2017

The trial lets you bounce in place or stem the files anyways so It's still worth a look for everybody hahahahaha
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

raymondh

05 May 2017

I hope they also add dropdown menus to select waveforms and other things, like we now have in Expanse, Zero etc.
The UI is pretty basic on this thing, and it's quite inconsistent - e.g. the way to change waveform is very different to the way to change reverb type.

But the presets do sound very, very nice.

Loque

05 May 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:I know this thing is hyped and maybe the VST version is super awesome, but after trying it out for the first time for about 20 minutes I'm sorry to say I'm not impressed at all, not at this point at least.
Mostly because there's so many things that aren't automatable. And when I actually put an automation lane in the sequencer for something that actually can be automated, like the filter frequency, the DSP jumps through the roof making my computer crackling away with only one instance. I've never experienced anything like this before, not even close and I own most of the bigger Reason synths like Expanse, Zero, Antidote. Something must have gone horribly wrong in the making of this. It feels like they rushed to just get their product out there as soon as possible without even trying it out first.

Scrolling through the presets. they're alright, but nothing special really. And when you can't even automate anything fun like ctrlA or ctrlB what's the
point? There's like 10 things you can actually automate and they don't work once you do it in the sequencer. What a joke.

I'm so glad I tried it before buying it. I almost went for it because of the hype and the price. I hate to say it but wow what a disappointment.
They really need to go back and finish their product.
Zero or eXpanse breaks my my computer if i use a bit more than the standard. Zero enabled all osc, a bit modulation stuff and fx, play a chord and BAM! No need to say, that 196khz oversampling will not work either. VK-2 is working quite ok, but it has only 3 osc, if i didnt use the backside much, where you can grad each oscilator many times again... I will check, if ReSpire will harm my computer too. Maybe its time for an 12 core 4ghz update...
Reason12, Win10

Galaxy

05 May 2017

Anyone know how long the intro price will last for?

sonicbyte

05 May 2017

OMG I don't know if someone notice this, but the whole synth is out of tune or pitched up by one whole tone or two semitones.
If you reset the device and play for instance the C key it actually sounds like a D... I've absolut pitch so It sounds pretty strange for me, but first I though was the presets I`ve tested, so just in case I reset the device and "voilá"....Also I compare with other stock devices just in case I was me or something...

ltbrunt00

05 May 2017

Think of it this way the money they are making with this sale will pay for improvements.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

stp2015

05 May 2017

sonicbyte wrote:OMG I don't know if someone notice this, but the whole synth is out of tune or pitched up by one whole tone or two semitones.
If you reset the device and play for instance the C key it actually sounds like a D... I've absolut pitch so It sounds pretty strange for me, but first I though was the presets I`ve tested, so just in case I reset the device and "voilá"....Also I compare with other stock devices just in case I was me or something...

No, for me it is fine. Put it in a combi together with subtracter and they are in pitch. Check your reason preferences (there is a master tuning slider).

sonicbyte

05 May 2017

stp2015 wrote:
sonicbyte wrote:OMG I don't know if someone notice this, but the whole synth is out of tune or pitched up by one whole tone or two semitones.

No, for me it is fine. Put it in a combi together with subtracter and they are in pitch. Check your reason preferences (there is a master tuning slider).
Is not my Reason out of tune, I've put aside with a sine from thor, then a Reason Pianos, then an NN-XT on a blank new project, reset the Spire.... if you play a C it sound D...

eXode

05 May 2017

Perhaps the tuning issue is sample rate related?

chimp_spanner

05 May 2017

Well the sounds are undeniably great! I'm not sure how I feel about the early-access approach to RE's although it might be an interesting idea moving forward to get a greater number of people on board. But it is kiiinda unusual for a rack to hit the shop in an unfinished state.

But yeah I mean it sounds fantastic. Can't argue there! The menus are kinda janky - no drop downs? Hopefully this'll get resolved :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

05 May 2017

Yes, it seems it's only set up to work at 44.1kHz sample rate. Very, very poor.
stp2015 wrote: No, for me it is fine. Put it in a combi together with subtracter and they are in pitch. Check your reason preferences (there is a master tuning slider).
If your sample rate is 44.1kHz it will sound correct. If you're using 48kHz or higher, it's wrong.

stp2015

05 May 2017

Yes, I am indeed on 44.1kHz. Looks like we are helping them find all the major bugs in this large public beta :D

ejanuska

05 May 2017

Wow, I was about to pull the trigger since it was so cheap and hyped so much.
Maybe they just dumped it with no plans of future improvements due to the VST thing. Nobody really knows. Promises? How about I promise to buy it if after it gets improved. The check is in the mail.
I don't think it sounds so different from other synths I already own.

chimp_spanner

05 May 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
Yes, it seems it's only set up to work at 44.1kHz sample rate. Very, very poor.
stp2015 wrote: No, for me it is fine. Put it in a combi together with subtracter and they are in pitch. Check your reason preferences (there is a master tuning slider).
If your sample rate is 44.1kHz it will sound correct. If you're using 48kHz or higher, it's wrong.
Ouch! Yeah I change my mind; no early access pls. This isn't Steam. :lol:

stp2015

05 May 2017

I have a feeling their heads are "steaming" right now and the first update will be out quite soon :D :D :D

Kalm

05 May 2017

Looks like its out the store
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

EnochLight

05 May 2017

As I said in the other thread, people should definitely treat this as an "early access public beta test". I realize it says "preview edition" on the device itself, and their product page says to demo first because of high CPU use, but it's really, reaaaallly buggy, too.

That said, at only $59 USD and the fact that we all KNOW that Reveal Sound will eventually address these issues, it's hard to pass up... if I didn't already own the VST. ;) For that reason, I'm not sure if I'll pick this up or not. Part of me wants to support Reveal Sound's efforts - since I know for a fact they had to have spent a great deal of time and resources porting this, but... it's also not my responsibility to bail them out. And taking into consideration this is their only product, it's not like we need to convince them to stick around for RE development.... They could bail after this (though I'm sure they'd have a hell of a lot of pissed of Reasoners at their gates).

Decisions, decisions... what to do...? $59 really isn't a lot of money (that fills my gas tank up 1 & 1/2 times), so I might bite the bullet. We'll see...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

05 May 2017

Kalm wrote:Looks like its out the store
Holy crap - you're right! THEY PULLED IT!!!! D'oh!!!! :o :shock: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Kalm

05 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Kalm wrote:Looks like its out the store
Holy crap - you're right! THEY PULLED IT!!!! D'oh!!!! :o :shock: :lol:
I saw it at first and when I went to add it to the cart there was an error. I was like NAWWWW GIMMEEE. Lol honestly as long as they put the 60 price tag back I'm cool. I can wait for the updates as I just got the VK-2 not too long ago.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

scratchnsnifff

05 May 2017

Damn! Was dying to get my hands on it while it was there in the shop haven't even gotten out of work yet haha
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

chk071

05 May 2017

$59??? Jeez. Bargain of the century. Whoever doesn't buy this is *insertrandomswearwordhere* :P
:reason: :rebirth:

EdGrip

05 May 2017

Well, that was all rather odd.

chk071

05 May 2017

I'm sure it will be available again soon. I suspect there was some major issue, and Reveal-Sound fixes that now. Wouldn't be the first time. ;) (not that they're bad developers, but, there were one or two updates which broke something majorly, they were quick to fix it though)
:reason: :rebirth:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

05 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:As I said in the other thread, people should definitely treat this as an "early access public beta test". I realize it says "preview edition" on the device itself, and their product page says to demo first because of high CPU use, but it's really, reaaaallly buggy, too.

That said, at only $59 USD and the fact that we all KNOW that Reveal Sound will eventually address these issues, it's hard to pass up... if I didn't already own the VST. ;) For that reason, I'm not sure if I'll pick this up or not. Part of me wants to support Reveal Sound's efforts - since I know for a fact they had to have spent a great deal of time and resources porting this, but... it's also not my responsibility to bail them out. And taking into consideration this is their only product, it's not like we need to convince them to stick around for RE development.... They could bail after this (though I'm sure they'd have a hell of a lot of pissed of Reasoners at their gates).

Decisions, decisions... what to do...? $59 really isn't a lot of money (that fills my gas tank up 1 & 1/2 times), so I might bite the bullet. We'll see...
At €59 I was considering taking a punt, but that's a decent chunk for something that doesn't really work with just a promise. They might be great guys, and put in a lot of effort, and they might work overtime trying to fix it. But still, they chose to release it in they state they have, and that should concern everyone.

At a time when there's an understandable concern about the addition of VSTs in Reason and what will become of REs, especially instruments and effects, now is not the time to being have paid alpha tests. Submitting it to the shop and publishing it at this stage reeks of panic; by doing such a huge discount and not specifying a deadline, they were intentionally hoping a lot users would rush to buy it immediately without trialling it first and realising how broken it is, and leaving those customers with a promise to finish it later. I'm sure many of us have seen how that sometimes works out on Steam. ;)

This isn't a case of a few fairly obscure or embarassingly missed bugs that slipped through beta; we all have those despite our best efforts, those are unfortunate but sadly expected. It's not even about lack of the CVs, after all, Korg weren't too bothered about those either ;) . This is three or four deep and fundamental bugs/omissions. That reflects badly on them. It reflects badly on the RE format at a time when PH have been discussing ways of improving it and having conversations with other RE and VST developers about the VST support in Reason. It's a cynical insult to users who've long been excited by the prospect of one the most highly regarded VSTi's out of recent years appearing in Reason. And lastly it reflects badly on Propellerhead that it got into the shop, and I can't say I'm surprised it's been pulled given the state it's in.

It's literally only usable at 44.1kHz, and with no automation tracks.

• Information