REs that New Reason users with lots of VSTs shouldn't overlook

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dpcoffin

29 Apr 2017

I'm just coming back to Reason after years away, like I imagine quite a few others may be, too, right now. I've got plenty of VST/AU's, mostly synths/samplers, so it's unlikely that I'll be investing in any new, Reason-only variations…

BUT, there's so many RE's out there that aren't synths. And maybe even RE synths that are really unique!

I'd love to hear what long-time RE users would recommend to not overlook.

And as I'm also new to this impressively active forum, no doubt I'll have missed earlier threads with similar recommendations for truly distinctive or even odd-ball RE's that a new Reason user might not even think to look for…?

So, let the recommendations begin, please!

TIA!

(And if this is deemed a topic that belongs elsewhere, I look forward to learning about that, too)

Abstrax

30 Apr 2017

This is really a question of what you are looking for really. If you wanna really get into the deep end of reason, u have to get comfortable with the CVs.

Blamsoft polymodular system is unbelievable. Gives you the tools to turn multiple instrument devices into a polyphonic instrument. Even taking a single polyphonic Thor patch and converting it to a polymodular setup using 4-8 copies of itself will completely open up a track.

JP Ammo 400r is invaluable to me now. I personally have it added in my default combinator so it's always there when I need CV modulation. Jiggery-pokery's delay devices are also top-notch.

Rob Papen Vecto/predator-All have different strengths but always fit in a mix.

zeebot

30 Apr 2017

Seen as you used Reason before then you know the power of cv and combinators and that you can build your own unique erm...anything really.

Personally just off the top of my head I'd say have a look at
Polar.

Synchronous

Audiomatic

Parsec

Just with these 4 REs you can build an insane combinator using 10 Parsecs and as many effects as your machine can handle not even including the use of the Reason players.
There are so many unique devices in reason, have fun exploring and welcome home :puf_smile:
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

esselfortium

30 Apr 2017

JPS Harmonic Synthesizer is a retro additive synth that's pretty unique, sounds great, and is extremely fun to make patches for.

Of the stock devices, don't overlook Pulverizer -- it is a super versatile compression/distortion/filtering/modulation effect that I've used on basically every instrument under the sun. It's simple enough to use for quickly beefing up a lacking sound, and capable enough to go much further than that.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

dpcoffin

30 Apr 2017

Thanks all! Happy see both confirmations and surprises here; off to examine:)

zeebot

30 Apr 2017

You could also look into a synth called Revival as it is a bit of a strange beast..it's an organ but it isn't and no one really seems to know what is going on with it. I don't know if there is a VST version or equivalent as I haven't used them for a long time.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/revival/
Anyway, here is a track by someone just using the synth and drums. I own it but have never really delved into into it deeply.

They really are crap.

ltbrunt00

01 May 2017

Synchronous is out of this world. Layer these things for some pretty cool stuff.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

dpcoffin

01 May 2017

Both Synchronous and PSQ-1684 are at the top of my list, as is Ammo 400/1200, thanks! REALLY cool that these can all be demo'ed…

Electric-Metal

01 May 2017

New users should definitely take a look at all that CV-stuff in the shop. I'm aware that it's everybodys cup of tea, but for those who like it, there's some nice toys.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

dpcoffin

01 May 2017

Electric-Metal wrote:CV stuff…for those who like it, there's some nice toys.
That's exactly why I'm coming back to Reason; the VST thing is just a nice surprise that tipped the scales:)

scratchnsnifff

01 May 2017

Anything by blamsoft is always a must have!!! If you want wavetables get expanse if you like retro moog stuff check out the Viking series, also skrock has some nifty wavetable synths that I like a lot,

And another must have is rob papen vecto or quad, vecto is awesome for atmospheric sounds and quad is a bass machine :D again anything by RP is worth checking out

I recently discovered the jiggery pokery ammo 15 LFO/oscillator and it's awesome because you can even make it do FM or RM and iTs only 15$

As for effects kiloheartz always will have you covered as well as air raid audio haha I know this is a lot of them but my toolbox is overflowing and these are the brands I always am going back to hope this helps :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

rcbuse
RE Developer

01 May 2017

dpcoffin wrote:Both Synchronous and PSQ-1684 are at the top of my list, as is Ammo 400/1200, thanks! REALLY cool that these can all be demo'ed…
Don't forget your free Synchronous Refills @ http://lectricpanda.com/

dpcoffin

01 May 2017

Yummy, thanks, LectricP!

So, Synchronous vs. Shape?

dpcoffin

01 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote: ammo 15 LFO/oscillator and it's awesome because you can even make it do FM or RM and iTs only 15$
Features÷Price=ENDLESS! Ta:)

esselfortium

01 May 2017

dpcoffin wrote:Yummy, thanks, LectricP!

So, Synchronous vs. Shape?
I'd say it depends on how you're planning on using it. Synchronous is very instant-gratification because it includes a bunch of built-in effects to modulate, so it's easy to draw some shapes, play around with some knobs, and quickly come up with "happy accidents". Shape is probably more powerful for generating complex modulation, but it doesn't do any audio processing on its own, so it takes a bit more setup and conscious decision.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

dpcoffin

01 May 2017

Very helpful, thanks! Looks like Synchronous also facilitates comparison/adjustment of multiple concurrent lfo shapes, yes? (My upgrade hasn't arrived yet so I can't test anything; impatient!)

Zac

01 May 2017

Selig Leveler, JPS Chenille, Antidote to name a few.

There are a few that came so close in originality but just missed the grade in execution... OchenK Driver, Carve, eds06

zeebot

01 May 2017

Yes, all Selig's REs are great and very useful in the rack. I'd also look into some of Ochen K's stuff for some creative weirdness. The fun thing with reason is you can plug and pretty much send and receive from anything into anything so you never know what you can come up with.

They really are crap.

Oquasec

01 May 2017

They made a bigass version of most of those utility plugins in the shop.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information