Please re vote! Last time you purchased an RE? Will you still support REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

When was the last time you purchased an RE? Will you continue to support REs?

Today.
1%
Within the last week.
17%
Within the last month.
14%
Within the last quarter.
6%
Within the last 6 months.
3%
Within the last year.
2%
Special: Only during sales and intro prices.
8%
Over a year ago.
3%
Never.
1%
I will continue to support REs.
40%
I am not sure I will continue to support REs.
4%
I am not interested in REs with VSTs becoming available.
3%

Total votes: 280
sdst
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2017

the RE developers Will continue to support REs? That is the big question

i don't see much news about new REs, after Reason has vst support

jonheal

17 Jun 2017

sdst wrote:
17 Jun 2017

I can see VST developers wondering if it's worth porting their existing devices, that's for sure.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

eXode

17 Jun 2017

sdst wrote:
17 Jun 2017

My guess is that RE developers want to wait and see what happens, if there's a big impact on sales, etc.

sdst
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2017

jonheal wrote:
17 Jun 2017
I can see VST developers wondering if it's worth porting their existing devices, that's for sure.
I dont think it's worth porting a vst to RE now

What a vst developer can do is resize the vst to fix in the rack like a RE

golddustwoman

17 Jun 2017

I will still buy them. I like using the rack. I mainly use guitars and it's a good set up for me to scroll through the effects chain in order, keeping an eye an the previous effect, much easier to re-tweak the last effect setting while still in the rack, if required. I like working mobile so a 13' MB can be tricky with various sized VST windows, just tricky, not unworkable.

But, I'm also ridiculously happy VST is finally here, I think an excellent and elegant job has been done to integrate them. Reason is now an incredible environment, long may it reign.

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2017

sdst wrote:the RE developers Will continue to support REs? That is the big question

I can definitely say Selig Audio has not changed plans because of VST support - and as a user I'm very happy to have it! As a developer I've always tried to produce products that attempt to cover ground not covered by other existing devices on any platform, while also taking advantage of Reason's unique capabilities.

And yes, I have a new device in the works that will begin testing in the next month or two! We shall see if there's still a viable market for REs since the introduction of VSTs, but it would take a huge sea-change to dissuade me from future development at this point!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

17 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
17 Jun 2017
sdst wrote:the RE developers Will continue to support REs? That is the big question

I can definitely say Selig Audio has not changed plans because of VST support - and as a user I'm very happy to have it! As a developer I've always tried to produce products that attempt to cover ground not covered by other existing devices on any platform, while also taking advantage of Reason's unique capabilities.

And yes, I have a new device in the works that will begin testing in the next month or two! We shall see if there's still a viable market for REs since the introduction of VSTs, but it would take a huge sea-change to dissuade me from future development at this point!
:)

A totally uneducated and completely wild-assed guess, but I would say Reason's long-time "core" base, those who bought it — and buy it — for its infinite patching possibilities will continue to be interested in REs, particularly those that exploit lots of patchabiltiy. The new "plug-and-play" crowd that Propellerhead seems to have courted recently; maybe those folks are happy enough with VSTs, especially if they have lots of nice presets. :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

davidvilla

17 Jun 2017

Pure spit-ballin' here based on zero sales data, but, what I think is:

Reason's "tweakers" = $

The "plug-n-play" crowd = $$$$$$

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2017

davidvilla wrote:Pure spit-ballin' here based on zero sales data, but, what I think is:

Reason's "tweakers" = $

The "plug-n-play" crowd = $$$$$$

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Reason has always been that way - ReFills wouldn't sell if not! The "tweakers" make ReFills, the "p-n-p" crowd buys them. Speaking generally, of course.

Lot's of both crowds make music with these tools - would be a shame to ONLY cater to one of these two crowds IMO.
;)

Selig Audio, LLC

electrochoc (PRX-A)

17 Jun 2017

I just upgraded to Reason 9.5 from Reason 6.5, after a many months long pause on music making. I didn't upgrade for the VSTs: it was just a happy coincidence! I was lately looking at ways to use VSTs while using Reason, and everything just suddenly became way easier than I expected! So being back at music somewhat triggered back my gear acquisition syndrom, and I must say VSTs in Reason open a lot of acquisition possibilities!

Before answering the question of this thread, let's say I'm a tweaker who tries to make all his sounds from synthesizers, making music in the IDM/concrete/experimental category. I like plug-ins that open possibilities in terms of tweaking and sound design, and I don't feel at all concerned with the loudness war and being played on radios.

With this in mind, the plug-ins I look the most at right now are some top instruments available in the VST world, like Sonic Charge's microTonic or AAS's Chromaphone 2. I feel like a lot of my next purchases in this category will be VSTs, and I may pay less attention to what will be released as REs... The VST market is just so full of very unique instruments, where some important synthesis techniques are just starting to appear as REs...

When it comes to effects, it's a little bit different. I didn't look lately at effects that could be labelled creative ones, so I don't really know on which side I'd be shopping, although I'm tempted to say it should be half VSTs, half REs. But for studio effects, or effects aimed at only enhancing the sound, I'd likely prefer to stay within the rack. iZotope's Ozone Maximizer (RE) will likely be among my next purchases, and I don't really feel a need to look outside the Prop's shop for this kind of stuff.

On the utilities side, since I see utilities as ways to improve all the CV part of Reason, I should shop only for REs! There's two little CV utilities I should get very soon!

I'm curious to see where people will put their money now that VSTs are available... In my case, in the next months, I predict something like 65% VSTs, 35% REs in terms of money spent... It's not that I don't like REs or anything (I've been a huge enthousiasts a couple of years ago), but my current priority is to get plug-ins that I feel will have the biggest impact on my process of music making...

By the way, from 6.5 to 9.5 means: players, MIDI-out, spectrum analyser... Wow! Just... Wow! :D
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

DJMaytag

21 Jun 2017

I just bought the Silent Way Voice Controller as a way to support the developer for all his hard work. It turned out to be a blessing, as the VST version of the Voice Controller couldn't do something that the RE could (accept a Redrum gate and route/convert it to an audio channel).

I'm perusing the shop for RE's that fill some voids, notably when using Reason with my modular synth. However, I could definitely see a use for buying an RE where it offers a feature above and beyond the VST (likely in terms of CV/gate outputs), EVEN IF I ALREADY OWN THE VST!

Steedus
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2017

I think I'm coming back round to Rack Extentions. I've always used Reason so VSTs are new to me, so this is all probably just the normal way it works but..

So I got some free Softube VSTs with my new interface. This is the process to get them into Reason:

Go to softube website, have to create a softube account. In order to register a VST you have to go to another site called Grobbler, and create a Grobbler account. Then you have to link you iLok account to your Grobbler account. Then you have to download a piece of software from Grobbler which is 175MB. Then you have to run the software and login to the app. Then you have to download the VSTs from there, and then install them. Then when you run your DAW you have to authenticate each one by logging in to your iLok account and have to choose whether you want to authenticate on your iLok key, or the computer you're using. I have no idea if this is a one time thing or if you can change this later on.

So now you have a softube account, a grobbler account, an iLok account and a Propellerhead account to deal with when something goes wrong. It was such a faf to get a bunch of VSTs working I really don't think I would be bothered most of the time.

The Rack Extention route is sooooo much easier.

sdst
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2017

any interesting RE In months, No news, nothing, Well just another saturated synth

It seems that the REs are dead, Killed by the vst

I still use more REs than vst in reason, I hope to see an real interesting REs like the PSQ-1684

• Information