Please re vote! Last time you purchased an RE? Will you still support REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

When was the last time you purchased an RE? Will you continue to support REs?

Today.
1%
Within the last week.
17%
Within the last month.
14%
Within the last quarter.
6%
Within the last 6 months.
3%
Within the last year.
2%
Special: Only during sales and intro prices.
8%
Over a year ago.
3%
Never.
1%
I will continue to support REs.
40%
I am not sure I will continue to support REs.
4%
I am not interested in REs with VSTs becoming available.
3%

Total votes: 280
Galaxy

29 Apr 2017

***Important: I apologize for the inconvience. Please vote again, editing the poll deleted the results.

VST integration is great, sure who doesn't like more options, right? With the latest news about 9.5, we can expect a lot of new users, which can actually pan out as a pro for RE sales. On the other hand, this can potentially hurt RE sales too.

As a current Reason user how often do you buy REs? Will you continue to support the format? Please vote for two different subjects.

1. When was the last time you purchased an RE.

2. Will you continue to support the RE format.
Last edited by Galaxy on 05 Jun 2017, edited 5 times in total.

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

brb lemme see my page...ah be postin some stuff
chrome-extension://fdpohaocaechififmbbbbbknoalclacl/capture/index.html?src=screencapture-propellerheads-se-user-products-1493464578257.png

chrome-extension://fdpohaocaechififmbbbbbknoalclacl/capture/index.html?src=screencapture-propellerheads-se-user-products-1493464657682.png
Last edited by Oquasec on 29 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

decibel

29 Apr 2017

if good devices keep coming in RE format that are well priced also then there is no reason why they wont get preferential treatment when it comes time to make purchases, i have heavily invested in RE development and i have no regrets realy as they have made my reasonuser experience so much better over the last few years, i also have a pretty decent little pile of vsts that have been getting neglected because i prefer to work in reason, now its a situation where everybodys invited to play together, the walls have come down yeah, i can only see things getting better hopefully, we might have less REs on the way but maybe the standard will get higher also if they have to compete with vsts from bigger more established companys, apart from that i really love to see propellerhead do some sort of deals with the big name developers as the sdk improves to get them to do some special projects especially for the rack environment and reason users, maybe they could quietly get a team of hotshot developers together to develop version 2's of stock devices subtrator, malstrom,nn-xt, nn-19 & the m-class devices etc to come with Reason 10 ?

Loque

29 Apr 2017

I think, some sales will drop, others stay stable. The future of RE and their devs now depends on what kind of products tgey have in means of quality, reliability, uniqueness and of course price. No need to pay for a C1-L1 anymor 50€ when you can use the VST for free as an example.
Reason12, Win10

xylyx

29 Apr 2017

c1-l1 is a good example as I was planning to purchase it but won't be doing so now. I was also waiting to see if Proton came on offer again but with VST support coming, I have a couple of plugins that I already own which will mean a Proton purchase is unlikely now. The only RE that I will still likely buy is PSQ-1684, as that offers something different to what I have in VST.

scratchnsnifff

29 Apr 2017

I buy one every few weeks haha recently got ammo, and will continue to get REs I literally only have a handful of vsts that I need only because reason can't do what those few do :) il always support the grassroots developers, seems like they make some of the coolest stuff!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

esselfortium

29 Apr 2017

I bought Kuassa's Efektor series a couple weeks ago.

I like the workflow and futureproofing of REs, so I'll definitely keep buying them if devices I want keep coming out. Not having to worry about whether my song files will still be usable in a decade is a huge advantage for me. I'll definitely be picking up some VSTs, though -- I'm excited beyond description at the prospect of using Kontakt libraries in Reason. They fill the biggest gap that was in the Reason rack, and Kontakt is such an established force in the industry that it's a pretty safe bet to assume that it'll still be supported in another decade.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

RequiemMachine

29 Apr 2017

Blamsoft will always get my support...their RE's are awesome. If I have the option of an RE and a VST that are directly comparable, I'll take the RE. Its going to have far better Rack Integration which is why I love Reason. So, Serum vs Expanse (I own both)...I would rather use Expanse, even though I have Serum. But when I have the option to use GQ-7 RE vs FabFilter ProQ2 VST....I'm going to go for the FabFilter. They do the same thing, but ProQ2 is just a way more advanced plugin. Not saying GQ-7 isn't a good RE. Its fantastic and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Honestly, though, the only reason I bought it was it was the closest I could get to a ProQ2 in Reason. For me, the only change is going to be I won't buy RE's as surrogates for things I used to have to do outside of Reason now. I'm still going to buy Synth RE (that Rack Integration is important to me) and the interesting things (Distillery, CV stuff, Anything by Lectric Panda, etc).

Also, the VST world should be thankful to RE's......Echobode (one of the greatest plugins of all time) started as an RE and then became a VST afterwards. :D
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

16BitBear

29 Apr 2017

I usually buy at least one lower priced RE a month and then buy quite a few during the annual sales. I don't see that dramatically changing. There are RE's I don't have comparably made in VST format and vice versa. Now I can have the best of both. As a small business owner myself, I always prefer to throw my money at creative small developers and businesses. That is basically the description right now of the successful and adore RE developers be it Blamsoft, Jiggery Pokery, etc. And bluntly, companies like Synapse Audio and Kuassa who made sure to create RE's and VST's will also always get my business if they keep continuing and developing exceptional RE's like their previous ones. :)

O1B

29 Apr 2017

Good thread for developers.

AirRaid, Lectric Panda, Blamsoft, DLD, JiggeryP, Lab:ONE, Quadelectra, Red Rock, SeligA, UnfilteredA, and Zvork, makes REs.... to name a few....

Propellerhead makes REs.

I will absolutely continue to support REs, but I need a lot less these days, so....
It'd better be Creative.

-008'

29 Apr 2017

Last RE purchase was this week. Yes. I will continue to buy RE (and VST) that I want/need/find useful.

I was thinking if Reason supports VST, I wonder if the prop shop will too! I would buy VST in propshop if the delivery could even remotely resemble RE-style delivery.

It's a real buzzkill to buy VST from 20 different manufacturers, have 20 different accounts, passwords. And then all the "hoops" to jump through for some licensing..like downloading many different companies "service centers" and "license apps" etc.

IMO the way that the propshop and RE work is second to none. (Think new computer and re-installing of all your stuff. It's a nightmare in VST land. But in Reason it's ridiculously simple
And headache-free. ;))
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Galaxy

29 Apr 2017

-008' wrote:Last RE purchase was this week. Yes. I will continue to buy RE (and VST) that I want/need/find useful.

I was thinking if Reason supports VST, I wonder if the prop shop will too! I would buy VST in propshop if the delivery could even remotely resemble RE-style delivery.

It's a real buzzkill to buy VST from 20 different manufacturers, have 20 different accounts, passwords. And then all the "hoops" to jump through for some licensing..like downloading many different companies "service centers" and "license apps" etc.

IMO the way that the propshop and RE work is second to none. (Think new computer and re-installing of all your stuff. It's a nightmare in VST land. But in Reason it's ridiculously simple
And headache-free. ;))
Lots of good points here.

I hope REs strive myself. The integration with clean and neat installation/ authorization is a huge bonus. There are great VSTs out there, and now we're lucky to access them in our Reason productions, I'm all for that.

It just irks me to see some comments on here from some who are so quick to jump ship from the RE customer base. They're all free to do as they wish. I would just hate to see RE devs get hurt by this, especially the indie guys.

This is the reason for this thread, to help encourage devs to continue to support the format, and hopefully bring new devs to the game as well.

One thing I thought about. What if Propellerhead made an RE VST/AU wrapper so REs could also be used in other DAWs too? That would really help the RE market a ton! No more "I can only use my REs in Reason" argument, and then the user base would grow even more. The only other strike against REs I can see is the reselling argument.

Karim
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2017

As far as I'm concerned, though with less frequency, I will continue to buy/support rack extensions where the plugin gives me a unique benefit and if there is a vst counterpart I will evaluate the price between the two. (but I'm sure the RE version in the past is more valuable and cheaper). Don't forget the comfort to put it in the cart, buy and use it in a couple of clicks. I hope all VST producers have the opportunity to come in the Props Shop and sell all them stuff [emoji16]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Karim
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2017

Galaxy wrote:
-008' wrote:Last RE purchase was this week. Yes. I will continue to buy RE (and VST) that I want/need/find useful.

And headache-free. ;))
Lots of good points here.

I hope REs strive myself. The integration with clean and neat installation/ authorization is a huge bonus. There are great VSTs out there, and now we're lucky to access them in our Reason productions, I'm all for that.

It just irks me to see some comments on here from some who are so quick to jump ship from the RE customer base. They're all free to do as they wish. I would just hate to see RE devs get hurt by this, especially the indie guys.

This is the reason for this thread, to help encourage devs to continue to support the format, and hopefully bring new devs to the game as well.

One thing I thought about. What if Propellerhead made an RE VST/AU wrapper so REs could also be used in other DAWs too? That would really help the RE market a ton! No more "I can only use my REs in Reason" argument, and then the user base would grow even more. The only other strike against REs I can see is the reselling argument.
+1000 for the RE wrapper. Good point
[emoji108]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

satyr32

29 Apr 2017

If they continue to develope REs I will support Blamsoft, Lectric Panda, Jiggery Pokery, Ochen K, Zvork, Robotic Bean and also others. I am not interested in VSTs except Reaktor and Overbridge. Now i am going to buy VK-2. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Heater

29 Apr 2017

On the old board there was this massive discussion about reselling REs and the Props basically made it clear that we would never be allowed to sell REs. At the point I stopped buying REs and haven't since.

Now that VSTs are going to be available for Reason I don't think I'll ever buy another RE unless the Props change their mind.

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

Most recent purchase was a few weeks back, a RE called nautilius.
Producer/Programmer.

WongoTheSane

29 Apr 2017

I purchased VK-2 yesterday, well after the VST announcement. There are several REs I have my eyes on atm (waiting for May Madness).

tronam

29 Apr 2017

REs are still better integrated into the Reason environment, so they'll continue to be my preference. My next RE synth purchase will most definitely be ReSpire. I'm so gleefully gobsmacked to be able to run Kontakt now though, so it's happiness all around. :)
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Libraquaricorn

29 Apr 2017

I bought Viking VK2 yesterday. I love the RE format and since I have no real experience with any other DAWs it's the only thing I know. I bought the full version of Reason 7 in december 2013 after demoing a few other DAW's and I remember having a bunch of free VST's that I put to use during this time of research, and often thinking "What a hassle!". I've bought a new computer since 2013 and I've felt so lucky that I could just sync all and be ready to go from where I left with the old one. The old one is still up and running, btw, in a different location and is still mirroring my home studio by the sweetness of "Sync All". That said, being now introduced to the world of VST again I am confident that Reason will do that for me as smooth and painless as possible. But I really hope all those excellent REs will keep coming like I'm used to.

JacobiusWrex

29 Apr 2017

Seems to me like utility/sequencer type REs will become more sought after

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

challism

30 Apr 2017

The last RE I purchased was Echobode, about 2 months ago. I know, I was really late to the party on Echobode, I just kept waiting for a sale, which never happened. Anyway, I will continue supporting REs, absolutely. I'm not a fan of VSTs at all. They are messy and cumbersome. They clog up my workflow.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Oquasec

30 Apr 2017

That's another thing keeping me a reason dude. I noticed how clean some workflows for some daws are...
Some daws have a super smooth workflow, that is seamlessly integrated that I would like to maintain.

Plus rewire needs it's own project file before I main that like back in the day lol.
Producer/Programmer.

Lov2sing

30 Apr 2017

i have over 200 RE's and only about 40 VST's and other than buying the Manly Massive/Passive by UA, I don't see that number getting much closer. Although I am glad for VST's they are not Reason standardized, quality controlled plug-ins. Right now I'm thinking others will want RE intergration more than anything else when they see CV controls or RE's like The Leveler.
We make music for a reason

borracho

30 Apr 2017

I'll be happy to buy unique REs that take advantage of Reason's flexibility - Blamsoft VK2 is a great example - you can freely route anything anywhere. Would be cool to see more modular stuff - west coast modules, some weird processing devices, better CV tools. Maybe something new like mixers (would it be cool to have mini-mixers inside the rack that emulate Neve, API, SSL?) But no more IDT, basic effects etc. I'm so glad I can use now soundtoys, uad and my other favorite VSTs inside the great modular environment.

• Information