Please re vote! Last time you purchased an RE? Will you still support REs?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

When was the last time you purchased an RE? Will you continue to support REs?

Today.
1%
Within the last week.
17%
Within the last month.
14%
Within the last quarter.
6%
Within the last 6 months.
3%
Within the last year.
2%
Special: Only during sales and intro prices.
8%
Over a year ago.
3%
Never.
1%
I will continue to support REs.
40%
I am not sure I will continue to support REs.
4%
I am not interested in REs with VSTs becoming available.
3%

Total votes: 280
Galaxy

26 May 2017

aeox wrote:i think I've got all the REs I need. now it's just a matter of waiting to see if any REs come out that i WANT in the future.
Oh there will be for sure, with great developers like Robotic Bean, Lectric Panda, Blamsoft, Studio Corbach, Skrock, etc. I think there's lots of potential for new inovation in the rack. It's indie devs that make the format what it is I think.

Galaxy

27 May 2017

Bump!

Apologies everyone, I hope to get the votes back to where they were. If you voted again, thank you, if you haven't, please vote again. Thanks :)

gullum

27 May 2017

I will always support re and continue to buy them, but I have about 130 RE's now that I will only buy if I need it

Ahornberg

27 May 2017

there are a lot of REs that do not have a counterpart in VST and vice versa

Oquasec

27 May 2017

5/27/2017
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

clone

28 May 2017

Hell yes I will support RE's.
I just purchased my very first bundle of plugins, by waves. Still very intrusted in buying RE's.

Majestik Monkey

30 May 2017

i can't really think of any good reason not to carry on supporting Re's :reason:

Daniel36

30 May 2017

Bought ReSpire last week, and that pretty nature synth thing yesterday. Forgot the name... Will continue to support if there are REs that I want.

tumar

30 May 2017

When I open up NI Massive, Absynth and whole Korg Analog Collection VST in Reason 9.5, it is barely possible, that I buy any RE synth. The same about compressors, EQs etc.

aallvor

30 May 2017

My last purchase was at Christmas time. Will continue to support RE's, but at my current production pace, I guess I will have exhausted the possibilities of my RE's in about three years time! So, I'm in no hurry to add new Re's (or VST's, for that matter) to my arsenal.

Social Exodus

30 May 2017

I like REs so much better personally. I have a few pretty good VSTs as well, but overall IMHO REs are far more stable perhaps at the expense of capability.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

davidvilla

31 May 2017

I don't mess with CV, so it's going to be hard to impress me with RE instruments and effects from now on. RE developers need to step it up. It's a different world now.

EpiGenetik

31 May 2017

Good plugs are good plugs, regardless of format.

Of course, there is the ongoing support for RE's but I don't think VST buyers will be put off by that - more likely it will piss them off further down the line. It is still something which is necessary to consider, though.

michal22

31 May 2017

I will continue to support REs. REs is a better ecosystem for Reason. Let this platform grow only.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

The_G

01 Jun 2017

I like REs, but I use two DAWs and a VST/AU will work in both, whereas an RE will not. So unless it's something really special (like Steerpike BBD Delay and Expanse) *or* there's a free crossgrade (as with The Legend), I'll get the version that works across platforms.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

electrofux

01 Jun 2017

For sure i support REs. And i am not sure if i buy any meaningfull VST in the near future. For one thing i dont like the patch management. I also dont like the free floating window, there is no remotable for opening and closing a RE etc. etc.
And btw yesterday for the firsttime ever (i think) Reason crashed on me without telling me anything, just bam desktop. Was playing around with the Serum VST demo. No biggie but it happens.

MirEko

02 Jun 2017

i love the way RE installs are managed. i have many songs from years ago that i will never be able to open because of vst versions out of date or unavailable, for this reason i will buy RE version before vst
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

tobypearce

02 Jun 2017

I will continue to support REs.

I have, however, been genuinely surprised about the difference in DSP use for some VSTs. Vahlalla's Shimmer founds fantastic, yet is astoundingly efficient to run. Some REs are like this too - the KHS effects are incredible in this regard, and they too sound fantastic. Other REs seem less well optimised. This is not because they are vintage emulations - I understand the additional toll that that can exact (Diva, and some Arturia recreations are heavy users or DSP.) But some REs appear to use more DSP than they ought.

In short, i will continue to invest in great sounding plugins that are well optimised and do not hog resources without good reason (and a few that do hog resources but for good reasons), whether they are VST or RE.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Galaxy

05 Jun 2017

Thank you all for voting again after I messed up the poll. I have to admit now that VSTs are part of Reason, I'm looking at a lot of different plugins and installing some cool stuff. But, and a big but, using REs and stock devices feels more natural and "clean", visually. Old habits are old habits, and I think I will pick RE over VST, unless I can't get an RE option for what I want to achieve.

Ostermilk

10 Jun 2017

I suppose that already had most of the VST's that I use already so the novelty value isn't there (aside from the big one of now being able to use them in the Rack).

Since 9.5 came out the actual ratio of RE's vs VST's I've bought has been 4 to 1 in favour of RE's. So for me at least it's looking like a case of being format agnostic, I tend toward what I think is useful and provides good value rather than in what format it is delivered

decibel

10 Jun 2017

im actually a little sad that with the introduction of vsts to reason that we will unlikely ever see some of the more interesting vsts ported to reason now, so lets hope the sdk gets better and better and that eventually RE's will equal or surpass vsts we all know and love

FLVZ

10 Jun 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:Good plugs are good plugs, regardless of format.
Exactly, the first question is what purpose do you need fulfilled, and what you can afford. When considering convenience, REs win but VST is the more flexible format. There is very little RE format can't do and for the most, no one can hear the difference between most formats!
decibel wrote:im actually a little sad that with the introduction of vsts to reason that we will unlikely ever see some of the more interesting vsts ported to reason now, so lets hope the sdk gets better and better and that eventually RE's will equal or surpass vsts we all know and love
Don't count Props out as yet! The SDK is only 2.5 not SDK 3.0 just as Reason is 9.5 not 10; there may be more to look forward to :puf_smile:

davidvilla

11 Jun 2017

Oh god - SDK 3.0 improvements??? Are we not tired of these hopeless and futile Reason dreams we are so used to having...wishing for them to fix things and add things that have been available in VST plugins for YEARS??? Playing catch-up YET AGAIN. Seriously, are you not tired of that????

It's been like 2 weeks since the 9.5 release and I haven't used a single RE. Also haven't browsed the shop or cared to read about any new RE releases (seems like there has been maybe ONE RE release since then??). My interest in REs has hit zero. And I'll tell you what - it feels great to not give a shit about REs now or any that might be coming in the future.

CephaloPod

17 Jun 2017

davidvilla wrote:
11 Jun 2017
Oh god - SDK 3.0 improvements??? Are we not tired of these hopeless and futile Reason dreams we are so used to having...wishing for them to fix things and add things that have been available in VST plugins for YEARS??? Playing catch-up YET AGAIN. Seriously, are you not tired of that????

It's been like 2 weeks since the 9.5 release and I haven't used a single RE. Also haven't browsed the shop or cared to read about any new RE releases (seems like there has been maybe ONE RE release since then??). My interest in REs has hit zero. And I'll tell you what - it feels great to not give a shit about REs now or any that might be coming in the future.
So, you're saying there's a chance??
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

jonheal

17 Jun 2017

I will continue to buy REs.

I have a minimal collection of VSTs. One of them, Reaktor, is obviously a biggee and adds huge functionality within Reason that would not be there otherwise. And I like the fact that the goodies in Reaktor (and other VSTs) are bigger on the screen.

However, the extensive patching capabilities of REs will continue to be big advantage. My main thing now is plugging random wires into random holes to see what will happen — that opportunity is just not going to be afforded to me with VSTs, except in the case, obviously, for Reaktor's (and a few other products') own implementation of similar functionality.
Last edited by jonheal on 17 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

• Information