For those concerned about RE's future with VST support coming...

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Grecco

28 Apr 2017

Just tried VST support and... missing RE :lol: love PC, love MAC, love Reason, but VST setting up is a nightmare. I wish do not to reinstall OS. :lol:
Happy :reason: user.

joeyluck

28 Apr 2017

Does anybody have any tips for uninstalling VSTs? I continue to find crap all over the place.
It's very inconsistent between plugins.

Most recently:
U-he had it's own folder in Library>Application Support, Sonic Charge did not :question:
Both had plugins installed in Library>Audio>Plug-ins :thumbs_up:
Both had presets installed in Library>Audio>Presets :thumbs_up:
Sonic Charge additionally had a folder created in my user Documents for presets. U-he did not. I did not save user presets for either :question:
Sonic Charge installed an authenticator, u-he did not :question:
Sonic Charge installed an Application folder. U-he did not. :question: [EDIT] Oh look, an uninstall feature for Synplant! :thumbs_up:
I feel like there was some stuff somewhere I'm not mentioning...
I installed Arturia earlier that had stuff in different places and it installed some 65 MB software center thing :puf_unhappy:

Happy to have found the Sonic Charge uninstaller. Not all offer that. Will see what it gets rid of.
But where else should I be looking for those that don't have uninstall features? I'm on Mac.

groggy1

28 Apr 2017

I imagine that there will be a good market for Players (in the future) and for RE tools. (I'm assuming Players will be opened-up for 3rd parties at some point?)

But yeah, I can't imagine synths and effects will thrive in RE.

When I saw the ability to drag/drop a VST into the rack just like a RE, that was way better than I imagined it would be (I had assumed that you'd load a "VST wrapper", and then have to select the VST from within that as a second step. So Kudos to PH for making this well-integrated.
If they work with a few companies to make the VSTs themselves available through Prop's store (with auto-install, and keeping up-to-date with Patches), and charge just a small fee above normal VST price (say $10), my head will fall off. Reason would be *the DAW* that makes buying/maintaining VSTs easier, and that would just be amazing. Maybe this is the direction they're going?

XysteR

29 Apr 2017

tumar wrote:Rack Extensions has no future, it's mistake, it's "artifical limb", it was made as angry contrariness against VST world. Underpowered, poorly optimized (crazy latency!) for CPU, with design stuck in 90s.
So far wrong I can't even be bothered to give my reasons....

Jonathan10

29 Apr 2017

For me biggest Draw is Nexus and my Roland System 1 plugout because i have the keyboard. I love viking 2 and synapse effects and will continue to use.
:refill:

stfual

29 Apr 2017

I can see a model where VSTs are sold through the Propellerhead shop. Perhaps even at a discount if they are tagged to the Propellerhead license control system which seems to work as well against piracy as iLOK. One of the great advantages of the Propellerhead model for RE developers is the lack of piracy, if they can extend that to some VSTs why not.

In my own case as an owner of FL and Soundforge the VST format gives more flexibility across products so i'd rather buy VST than RE at the same price. But I find Reason much easier to use than FL so if the same product is available in a Reason owner only format at a lower price whether tagged VST or RE i'd probably just buy the Reason only version.

That said had i been able to use Guitar Rig and Amplitube VSTs in Reason I wouldnt have bought any of the Kuassa Re's so i can see lost Re sales.

chimp_spanner

29 Apr 2017

stfual wrote:I can see a model where VSTs are sold through the Propellerhead shop.
Maybe this has been coming for longer than we know! After all, they did change the category in the shop from rack extensions to plugins...perhaps in preparation?

decibel

29 Apr 2017

i just finished another session messing around on the beta and i have to say using vsts combined with my favourite RE's is giving me some excellent results, i'll use what ever gets the job done, my hope is to stay firmly planted in reason so if good rack extensions keep getting developed that work more efficiently in reason then vsts do then i'll be throwing my money at them for sure

C//AZM

29 Apr 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:I know it's silly and old-fashioned, but this kinda makes me feel a little less special for using Reason. I've used I since it began, I enjoy its exclusivity. VSTs are great. I don't hate them, but what the heck. Yeah, I know, good for business. Still...
LOL I know exactly what you mean! Shame on us for feeling that way.

GRIFTY

29 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:Does anybody have any tips for uninstalling VSTs? I continue to find crap all over the place.
It's very inconsistent between plugins.

Most recently:
U-he had it's own folder in Library>Application Support, Sonic Charge did not :question:
Both had plugins installed in Library>Audio>Plug-ins :thumbs_up:
Both had presets installed in Library>Audio>Presets :thumbs_up:
Sonic Charge additionally had a folder created in my user Documents for presets. U-he did not. I did not save user presets for either :question:
Sonic Charge installed an authenticator, u-he did not :question:
Sonic Charge installed an Application folder. U-he did not. :question: [EDIT] Oh look, an uninstall feature for Synplant! :thumbs_up:
I feel like there was some stuff somewhere I'm not mentioning...
I installed Arturia earlier that had stuff in different places and it installed some 65 MB software center thing :puf_unhappy:

Happy to have found the Sonic Charge uninstaller. Not all offer that. Will see what it gets rid of.
But where else should I be looking for those that don't have uninstall features? I'm on Mac.
Just find the folder where you installed it, and delete that folder. This could leave behind some artifacts but it will do 80% of the dirty work in one fell swoop. If the developer didn't include an uninstaller, then they likely anticipated you doing this anyway

• Information