VST in reason, effects on the rack extension market?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
nooomy

28 Apr 2017

My guess is that all major VST producers will stop rack extension production

but there will still be a small flow of minor or new companies producing rack extensions

what do you guys thing the VST's will do to the rack extension market?

tronam

28 Apr 2017

I can imagine new audio instrument and effect REs becoming fewer and far between, with a greater emphasis on utility/CV racks.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

The_G

28 Apr 2017

I think it will be an indie market, just as you said. But it basically is already.

Prices are likely to go down as well, I'd imagine.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Kenni
Site Admin

28 Apr 2017

Rack Extensions is a unique format to Reason and it still have one thing that VST doesn't: 100% freedom for the developer to create patching options on the back.

Now that Reason will support VST, more VST developers will keep an eye on Reason and discover what a unique format Rack Extension is. Both VST's and RE's are (almost always) developed in the same language (C++), so besides from the fact that DSP code being "easily" portable, I suspect that VST developers will eye a market with RE's.

VST developers are not only in it for the money - They usually consist of musicians and sound designers. For some, the creative freedom with Rack Extensions will entice them to give the RE format a shot. That's my prediction anyway.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Shokstar

28 Apr 2017

That's a good decision to see vsts within Reason. Now Reason is on a good way to become a Major DAW.

T he only thing what I don't like is the old vst windows that overlay on the screen. Yeah but it's great to use all my vst instruments now in reason. No need to buy another DAW ;)

mataya

28 Apr 2017

Diva + PSQ + UAD LA2A in Reason ...what??

Loque

28 Apr 2017

I still prefer RE because of better integration. If i can chose for a buy, i would buy a RE, because now i really dont need another DAW. I was thinking about using another DAW just for VST, especially free VSTs.
Reason12, Win10

RPSupport

28 Apr 2017

nooomy wrote:My guess is that all major VST producers will stop rack extension production

but there will still be a small flow of minor or new companies producing rack extensions

Us here at Rob Papen are still producing and supporting Rack Extensions(RP-EQ is on the way soon), you can still do great things with the format that you cannot do in VST and the same goes for VST. There are some things in VST that you cannot do in RE etc.

You will now have the best of both worlds IMO. :puf_smile:

sonicbyte

28 Apr 2017

RPSupport wrote:
nooomy wrote:My guess is that all major VST producers will stop rack extension production

Us here at Rob Papen are still producing and supporting Rack Extensions(RP-EQ is on the way soon), you can still do great things with the format that you cannot do in VST and the same goes for VST. There are some things in VST that you cannot do in RE etc.

I'm glad you still here to develop more great things in the future :thumbs_up:

decibel

28 Apr 2017

although im happy about the news, its still not going to be quite the same, personally i was hoping that further sdk updates would make anything possible and eventually we would see more and more killer RE's released and even though i own a shitload of vsts i would still consider buying them as RE's because i would prefer to see them snugly sitting in the rack with everything else rather then as a floating window outside of the rack

joeyluck

28 Apr 2017

It will for sure be harder to entice developers to develop for RE. Maybe RE developers will get a larger cut of sales than what they were previously getting?

electrofux

28 Apr 2017

Probably not going to buy alot of VSTs but what just became VERY interesting is a Virus TI and the Elektron Overbridge stuff.

Loque

28 Apr 2017

RPSupport wrote:

<3 :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

mataya

28 Apr 2017

Redrum + Eli Arousor + Omega Transformer ... wtf?

electrofux

28 Apr 2017

I really wonder if reveal audio are pissed off, now that they just put in so much energy to port spire over to RE.
How about other developers? Whats their view on this? They suddenly got a ton of new competitors.

I personally don't see anything that i really want on the VSTi market, except from the HW integration plugins like Overbridge.

nooomy

28 Apr 2017

electrofux wrote:Probably not going to buy alot of VSTs but what just became VERY interesting is a Virus TI and the Elektron Overbridge stuff.
AW shiet! I didnt even think about that! I have http://www.rekonaudio.com/products/rola ... 106-editor

Will a Roland Juno-106 editor work in reason now?! that is freaking awsome!

tronam

28 Apr 2017

I'll still be using REs the majority of the time, but being able to run Kontakt now is huge for me.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

DLDTech

28 Apr 2017

From a smaller developers point of view...

The main problem is that we suddenly have a huge amount of competition in the way of VST's.. At the high end, you have all the big names which everyone wants and at the low end there's a ton of free VST's available which are as good as many RE's..

I'm expecting PH will see an increase in Reason sales (which is great) but many of those buyers will already have invested in their own VSTs or just want to pay out for something like Komplete and get a great set of instruments when combined with the stock devices.

Finally, there's the issue of VST piracy - do you think the average home user will spend good money on a RE when they can easily get a pirated VST device that does something similar??

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe some newcomers will love the tight integration of RE's and forget about VST, but realistically I expect the synth and effect RE market to be decimated and left with a few CV devices that are only possible with RE.
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

scratchnsnifff

28 Apr 2017

Haha on the note of REs being easier, REs don't force you to download this sort of "authorize" subscribe to some website, make you log on to a server to then. Be able to download there's a lot of little steps :p but can anyone tell me which serum do I get when I have a Mac? What's the difference in vst or au? Is one for Mac one for windows?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

RDS

28 Apr 2017

DLDTech wrote:From a smaller developers point of view...

Finally, there's the issue of VST piracy - do you think the average home user will spend good money on a RE when they can easily get a pirated VST device that does something similar??
This is the main point, piracy of VST is big, even big famous artist are sometimes caught using pirated instruments...

Loque

28 Apr 2017

RDS wrote:
DLDTech wrote:From a smaller developers point of view...

This is the main point, piracy of VST is big, even big famous artist are sometimes caught using pirated instruments...
Its a good point. No "sync all" for VSTs aswell. I srsly will think about it, before i purchase a VST, because of the hassle with licensing stuff and reliability of the VSTs.
Reason12, Win10

normen

28 Apr 2017

Shokstar wrote:That's a good decision to see vsts within Reason. Now Reason is on a good way to become a Major DAW.
Problem is Reason stinks as a generic DAW. It's made to be Reason, not a generic DAW.

eXode

28 Apr 2017

A more interesting question imho, is "VST in Reason, effects on the RE SDK development?" :)

satyr32

28 Apr 2017

electrofux wrote:I really wonder if reveal audio are pissed off, now that they just put in so much energy to port spire over to RE.
How about other developers? Whats their view on this? They suddenly got a ton of new competitors.

I personally don't see anything that i really want on the VSTi market, except from the HW integration plugins like Overbridge.
An Overbridge user has to get the Beta to find out if it works. NOW!! :lol:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Pralijah

28 Apr 2017

There is a double edged sword on this.

Ok, RE will drop in price because competition. Or at least more sales.

But also, Reason now becomes a magnet which will bring in tons of new users who also can fully trust Reason to be their fully professional DAW in their studio.

This can make RE:s market also more busy because of the neat system of updates etc. So while some huge Sound orchestral libraries, Kontakt that may need external hard drive or Ozone mastering suite, all those be handy to be used allongside Reasons workflow.

RE market might survive because of the popularitet of Reason as the one DAW of choice. VST:s are great if using other DAWs but if you get lesser needs for using another DAW, RE will also be useful. I think this will be good for both formats in the longer run. The RE market quality will rise when the audience is huge. At least I hope for a win-win situation. Some real quality RE:s in the shop might drop a bit in price but instead more users means more possible income for the developers than before.
Last edited by Pralijah on 28 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Make music shake again!

• Information