Blamsoft Zero updated to 1.3

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

25 Apr 2017

Blamsoft has updated Zero to version 1.3.

New in version 1.3
  • Alt-click menu in the harmonics display with powerful editing tools
  • Waveform button allows you to load Yamaha DX11/TX81Z and Sequential Circuits Prophet VS waveforms
  • Global and operator fine tune are available as Mod Matrix destinations
  • Envelope settings utilize popup menus
Last edited by eXode on 25 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

25 Apr 2017

Waveform loading? Powerful harmonics editing? <3
Reason12, Win10

AzureEyes

25 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:Waveform loading? Powerful harmonics editing? <3
Yup. The waveforms are a menu that builds them in the spectrum. You can use the different tools available in the harmonic processes to modify them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scratchnsnifff

25 Apr 2017

What a way to start the day thanks blamsoft!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

25 Apr 2017

AzureEyes wrote:
Loque wrote:Waveform loading? Powerful harmonics editing? <3
Yup. The waveforms are a menu that builds them in the spectrum. You can use the different tools available in the harmonic processes to modify them!

Nice, was going to ask what it meant by that glad you answered it before I even asked :D

alex

25 Apr 2017

Great update! Zero is a wonderful synth and with each update becomes even more powerful! Thank you Blamsoft and eXode! :thumbs_up:
Downloading it right now!

@AzureEyes: I guess it's time for a new video from you, showing the new features! ;)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

scratchnsnifff

25 Apr 2017

alex wrote:Great update! Zero is a wonderful synth and with each update becomes even more powerful! Thank you Blamsoft and eXode! :thumbs_up:

@AzureEyes: I guess it's time for a new video from you, showing the new features! ;)

its crazy man, i feel like when ever i want a feature added they are either already working on it or said feature is around the corner! blamsoft is on point. its funny because a few weeks ago i was trying to make some of the DX waves that are the equivalent of using massive or serums bend + or - and now zero has them as an option haha

Loque

25 Apr 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
alex wrote:Great update! Zero is a wonderful synth and with each update becomes even more powerful! Thank you Blamsoft and eXode! :thumbs_up:

its crazy man, i feel like when ever i want a feature added they are either already working on it or said feature is around the corner! blamsoft is on point. its funny because a few weeks ago i was trying to make some of the DX waves that are the equivalent of using massive or serums bend + or - and now zero has them as an option haha
Agree, Blamsoft and eXode are on top atm.
Reason12, Win10

AzureEyes

25 Apr 2017

Soon [emoji16]

RequiemMachine

25 Apr 2017

Dammit. Lol. Blamsoft you keep this up and I might just buy the rest of your RE's just because... seriously thanks be caring about your customers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

scratchnsnifff

25 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:

Random but does anyone think that blamsofts distortion trifecta will be on sale in the next sale? I have been wanting a nice tube distortion so I can change it up from always using scream

Loque

25 Apr 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
Loque wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:

Random but does anyone think that blamsofts distortion trifecta will be on sale in the next sale? I have been wanting a nice tube distortion so I can change it up from always using scream
You tried The Echos tube? It can be used as a fx without the delay itself.
Reason12, Win10

satyr32

25 Apr 2017

eXode wrote: [*]Waveform button allows you to load Yamaha DX11/TX81Z and Sequential Circuits Prophet VS waveforms
so this means FM4 is now included in Zero. kind of.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

scratchnsnifff

26 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:
Loque wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:

You tried The Echos tube? It can be used as a fx without the delay itself.
Il have to look into that :) thanks for the tip! I remember last years sale I got the poly modular system for 20-30$! And the distortion triefecta was 25$ (pretty sure) I remember it was the last item I wanted to get but the sale ended

scratchnsnifff

26 Apr 2017

And by the way exode wasn't kidding when he mentioned powerful harmonics editing, that editor is crazy customizable which=endless FM timbre's also a fun tip in case the FM sounds harsh is to dial back the Harmonics knob in the operator section

Auryn

26 Apr 2017

Yeah this is a really useful update & props to Blamsoft for continued providing of these Zero updates. I don't know if the water supply in Spokane is contaminated with nontrivial quantities of amphetamines but otherwise it's hard to fathom the level of productivity these guys muster ;)

I don't know much about the technical/mathematical basis of additive synthesis, so it's super easy to just load waveforms in instead of having to (haphazardly) draw them from scratch. It's also very instructive/educational to see what waveforms can result from different distributions of harmonics.

One thing this update has made me look for is a visual table or index of all the Prophet VS waveforms. In the current version they are numbered in the menu (probably visual menus are not possible in the SDK) but with so many it's hard to remember which are which. Does anyone know of a web resource for this? I tried googling but didn't find much...
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

scratchnsnifff

26 Apr 2017

Auryn wrote:Yeah this is a really useful update & props to Blamsoft for continued providing of these Zero updates. I don't know if the water supply in Spokane is contaminated with nontrivial quantities of amphetamines but otherwise it's hard to fathom the level of productivity these guys muster ;)

I don't know much about the technical/mathematical basis of additive synthesis, so it's super easy to just load waveforms in instead of having to (haphazardly) draw them from scratch. It's also very instructive/educational to see what waveforms can result from different distributions of harmonics.

One thing this update has made me look for is a visual table or index of all the Prophet VS waveforms. In the current version they are numbered in the menu (probably visual menus are not possible in the SDK) but with so many it's hard to remember which are which. Does anyone know of a web resource for this? I tried googling but didn't find much...

Also i noticed when I was messing around with it, the vs waves doesn't let you know which one you selected, I was quickly making growls and there was one in particular that I liked but when I went to see which one I chose the drop down list didn't give any indication as to which VS waveform I had chose, not that much of an issue more of a workflow thing, honestly all of them are gateways to great sounds so it's all good :D

eXode

26 Apr 2017

Auryn wrote:One thing this update has made me look for is a visual table or index of all the Prophet VS waveforms. In the current version they are numbered in the menu (probably visual menus are not possible in the SDK) but with so many it's hard to remember which are which. Does anyone know of a web resource for this? I tried googling but didn't find much...
Here are some highres charts:
http://www.carbon111.com/evowaves1.png
http://www.carbon111.com/evowaves2.png
http://www.carbon111.com/evowaves3.png
http://www.carbon111.com/evowaves4.png

From this evolver resource site:
http://www.carbon111.com/evolver.html

scratchnsnifff

26 Apr 2017

eXode wrote:
Auryn wrote:One thing this update has made me look for is a visual table or index of all the Prophet VS waveforms. In the current version they are numbered in the menu (probably visual menus are not possible in the SDK) but with so many it's hard to remember which are which. Does anyone know of a web resource for this? I tried googling but didn't find much...
Here are some highres charts:
http://www.carbon111.com/evowaves1.png
http://www.carbon111.com/evowaves2.png
http://www.carbon111.com/evowaves3.png
http://www.carbon111.com/evowaves4.png

From this evolver resource site:
http://www.carbon111.com/evolver.html
Woah awesome! :puf_bigsmile:

Auryn

26 Apr 2017

Thank you exode, these are very useful. Just out of curiosity though, what is the relation between this Evolver synth and the Prophet VS? Is it some kind of clone?

Other than that, I agree with scratchnsniff that this is mostly for sound design workflow, all of the waveforms are interesting but it's certainly handy to have a chart if I'm looking for something specific. I wish I had these new features when I was doing my Zero refill last year! I'll probably do an update to that when I get my current project finished.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-

eXode

26 Apr 2017

Auryn wrote:Thank you exode, these are very useful. Just out of curiosity though, what is the relation between this Evolver synth and the Prophet VS? Is it some kind of clone?
You are welcome! :)

Both the Prophet VS and Evolver was designed by Dave Smith. The former under the Sequential Circuits brand, and the latter under the Dave Smith Instruments brand. The first evolver was a monophonic desktop synthesizer with a matrix for programming sounds (buttons for selecting rows with a shared row of endless encoders for tweaking parameters of the selected row). The Evolver has 4 oscillators in total, 2 DCO's and 2 Digital, running through two LPF analogue filters setup in a stereo configuration (one filter per channel). The evolver also employed a digital non-resonant 24dB HPF, distortion, tuneable feedback, output hack (like a bit crusher), and finally three digital delays that could be used for various stuff such as chorus, flanger, and delay. The digital oscillators of the Evolver featured the original waveforms from the Prophet VS (and also played back in 12-bit, like the Prophet VS). The Evolver was not a clone of the VS though, it just used the same waveforms for it's digital oscillators.

Auryn

26 Apr 2017

eXode wrote:Both the Prophet VS and Evolver was designed by Dave Smith. The former under the Sequential Circuits brand, and the latter under the Dave Smith Instruments brand. The first evolver was a monophonic desktop synthesizer with a matrix for programming sounds (buttons for selecting rows with a shared row of endless encoders for tweaking parameters of the selected row). The Evolver has 4 oscillators in total, 2 DCO's and 2 Digital, running through two LPF analogue filters setup in a stereo configuration (one filter per channel). The evolver also employed a digital non-resonant 24dB HPF, distortion, tuneable feedback, output hack (like a bit crusher), and finally three digital delays that could be used for various stuff such as chorus, flanger, and delay. The digital oscillators of the Evolver featured the original waveforms from the Prophet VS (and also played back in 12-bit, like the Prophet VS). The Evolver was not a clone of the VS though, it just used the same waveforms for it's digital oscillators.
Haha, you don't have to sell it to me, I already own (and am very happy with) Zero! It sounds like a cool synth though, I'm curious what the tuneable feedback is about... is that per-voice? But I don't wanna derail the thread so never mind, I could probably look that up sometime.

About Zero though (and I hope you don't mind a small feature request) I noticed that in the charts the waveforms have descriptive names. I realize that these might be only very loosely descriptive but they still might be useful to add in Zero's popup menu for reference (if you find a waveform you particularly like it's easier to remember a name than a number, for me at least) in some future update.

Loque

26 Apr 2017

Cool update! But what i directly missed, was a small menu button for the harmonics editor. always need to leave my hand off the (piano)keyboard.

Coll stuff anyway. After i found the tiny button on the waves display and the harmonic menu, i think i will be busy for a while... I am not sure, if i figured out "Envelope settings utilize popup menus" now :? -> Edit: I got them :-D

Is there a reason why i cant load my own waves? Not sure if this would be possible or usefull in any way
Reason12, Win10

eXode

26 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:Is there a reason why i cant load my own waves? Not sure if this would be possible or usefull in any way
Yes, the reason is that it requires a substantial programming effort and possibly even a redesign of some aspects of Zero, so it's not something that is planned for a point release. ;P

Loque

26 Apr 2017

eXode wrote:
Loque wrote:Is there a reason why i cant load my own waves? Not sure if this would be possible or usefull in any way
Yes, the reason is that it requires a substantial programming effort and possibly even a redesign of some aspects of Zero, so it's not something that is planned for a point release. ;P
Ok, thx for the reply.
Reason12, Win10

• Information