I'm looking for a extension that sounds most like Nord Lead A1?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tomba

15 Apr 2017

I know there are a few refills but what snyth does reason offer as a rack extention that sounds the most and does the same type of arpegiations as a nord lead a1?
:reason: :re:

Karim
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2017

Maybe the Antidote but I can be wrong... @eXode knows better than me 'cause there's no official emulations or inspired modeled rack extension (as let's say Red70 that aims to emulate the OP-X) .

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

QVprod

15 Apr 2017

Depends on what you mean whether it be presets or functionality. I do not believe there is anything that directly models it or the presets, but from a functionality standpoint, the Nord lead is pretty much just a 2 oscillator synth with layering capabilities (4 part multitimbral). Thor can accomplish many of the same sounds (per part) as well as many (if not most) of the synth rack extensions and probably far exceed what the Nord is capable of per part. The only thing would be matching all the oscillator types. Layering would require the use of multiple synths in a Combinator to match the 4 part multitimbral functionality.

As far as arpeggiation, have you tried the Dual Arp player device in Reason 9? It's probably more than capable being that the patterns are customizable
Last edited by QVprod on 19 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

tomba

15 Apr 2017

QVprod wrote:Depends on what you mean whether it be presets or functionality. I do not believe there is anything that directly models it or the presets, but from a functionality standpoint, the Nord lead is pretty much just a 2 oscillator synth with layering capabilities (4 part multitimbral). Thor can accomplish many of the same sounds (per part) as well as many (if not most) of the synth rack extensions and probably far exceed what the Nord is capable of per part. The only thing would be matching all the oscillators (AM is the one thing Thor can't do). Layering would require the use of multiple synths in a Combinator to match the 4 part multitimbral functionality.

As far as arpeggiation, have you tried the Dual Arp player device in Reason 9? It's probably more than capable being that the patterns are customizable
Thank you for taking the time out to respond.

I currently have reson 8. I bought reason 8 full edition 1 month prior to propellerheads coming out with reason 9 and they would not offer me the upgrade fee for free. VERY upset with that. Yes its ONLY 130 but its the principle and a mean way to treat a new adopter...

That said I don't have reason 9.

The more I do work in reason 8 the more I want hardware.

The more work I do in reason the more I see expensive hardware ONLY comparing to it

Just didn't know if I could find something like the nord lead a1 in reason already

Oquasec

15 Apr 2017

Damn. My reason 8 license is a few years old so I was automatically ousted :P
But then I remembered how propeller head handles their updates.[No recycle built into octorex yet?]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

QVprod

15 Apr 2017

tomba wrote:
QVprod wrote:Depends on what you mean whether it be presets or functionality. I do not believe there is anything that directly models it or the presets, but from a functionality standpoint, the Nord lead is pretty much just a 2 oscillator synth with layering capabilities (4 part multitimbral). Thor can accomplish many of the same sounds (per part) as well as many (if not most) of the synth rack extensions and probably far exceed what the Nord is capable of per part. The only thing would be matching all the oscillators (AM is the one thing Thor can't do). Layering would require the use of multiple synths in a Combinator to match the 4 part multitimbral functionality.

Thank you for taking the time out to respond.

I currently have reson 8. I bought reason 8 full edition 1 month prior to propellerheads coming out with reason 9 and they would not offer me the upgrade fee for free. VERY upset with that. Yes its ONLY 130 but its the principle and a mean way to treat a new adopter...

That said I don't have reason 9.

The more I do work in reason 8 the more I want hardware.

The more work I do in reason the more I see expensive hardware ONLY comparing to it

Just didn't know if I could find something like the nord lead a1 in reason already
Well the good news is the answer to your question is basically yes. Software synths in general far exceed the capabilities of hardware. Especially since it's so easy to layer them. People buy hardware more-so for a particular sound character or for ease of live performance.

RPG8 might actually be suitable enough as an arp in the mean time.

Oquasec

15 Apr 2017

To match software their only option is audio tracks.
Literally that's the only way they can get the same depth as the software due to what those things are in the first place.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2017

Subtractor was designed by one of the same people who designed the Nord so there are some distinct similarities there. Just like the Nord, Sub's faceplate hides a lot of sonic power and architectural surprises.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Rook

15 Apr 2017

I used to have a Nord Lead A1. Great synth. Antidote is probably the closest thing to it. I actually sold the Nord because of how good Antidote is. The Nord sounded a little bit smoother and each one can do some things the other can't. But the convenience of Antidote counts for a lot. I miss having the Nord sometimes, just for the hands-on aspect of it. But not enough to spend the cash on one (again), when I have a synth like Antidote in Reason.

ambitran

17 Apr 2017

I emailed George at Discodsp about coming out with a Discovery/Discovery Pro Rack Extension and he said he wasn't interested in making one. Everybody PLEASE email him requesting a discovery synth for reason. It's the one VST I miss the most! https://www.discodsp.com/discovery/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riemac

17 Apr 2017

ambitran wrote:I emailed George at Discodsp about coming out with a Discovery/Discovery Pro Rack Extension and he said he wasn't interested in making one. Everybody PLEASE email him requesting a discovery synth for reason. It's the one VST I miss the most! https://www.discodsp.com/discovery/

I mailed him aswell but got the same answere, that there are no planes to port it to RE.

ambitran

17 Apr 2017

riemac wrote:
ambitran wrote:I emailed George at Discodsp about coming out with a Discovery/Discovery Pro Rack Extension and he said he wasn't interested in making one. Everybody PLEASE email him requesting a discovery synth for reason. It's the one VST I miss the most! https://www.discodsp.com/discovery/

I mailed him aswell but got the same answere, that there are no planes to port it to RE.
What a shame [emoji853]

KirkMarkarian

17 Apr 2017

Benedict wrote:Subtractor was designed by one of the same people who designed the Nord so there are some distinct similarities there. Just like the Nord, Sub's faceplate hides a lot of sonic power and architectural surprises.

I was going to say the same thing - how much more "Nord" can you get in Reason than the Subtractor?

ambitran

18 Apr 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
Benedict wrote:Subtractor was designed by one of the same people who designed the Nord so there are some distinct similarities there. Just like the Nord, Sub's faceplate hides a lot of sonic power and architectural surprises.

I was going to say the same thing - how much more "Nord" can you get in Reason than the Subtractor?
It's still not the same :cry: The Nord Lead and/or Discovery has a very distinct sound that would be welcomed to the Reason rack!

Nirude

19 Apr 2017

+1 for the Nordlead emulation RE!
3d man.

ambitran

20 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:The DiscoDSP site says it's temporarily closed...
I saw that as well. Strange

Re8et
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2017

Start with the Ammo 1400. Nord A1 has 42 waves shapes, Sub 32. The Ammo1400 has 120+

You have to go modular, it's the only way. Blamsoft Vk1 and 2 and the whole modular RE are just the start.
Then use the Ammo as OSC for the Vk2.

Vk2 is the first RE to emulate real analog circuitry. FM synthesis has both audio and cv in.
Primal ladder filter has also FM in. Add a pulse phase from the VK2 to that.
The Nord A1 has 4-part multi-timbral and every one with its own midi channel, that can also be synced.
So you would need one Vk2 for every OSC out of the AMMO. Or Subtractor, of you don't have it.

So basically it's a 4x everything, each with its own ADSR, ARP, LFO, FM, AMP, and FILTERS.
Master Clock Sync of Arpeggiator, LFO and Delay you need to know what to assign them to and build your modular Nord lead accordingly BECAUSE THEY ARE MUTABLE.

Just an idea... start with a 1 voice VK2 to begin with...

tomba

22 Apr 2017

Re8et wrote:Start with the Ammo 1400. Nord A1 has 42 waves shapes, Sub 32. The Ammo1400 has 120+

You have to go modular, it's the only way. Blamsoft Vk1 and 2 and the whole modular RE are just the start.
Then use the Ammo as OSC for the Vk2.

Vk2 is the first RE to emulate real analog circuitry. FM synthesis has both audio and cv in.
Primal ladder filter has also FM in. Add a pulse phase from the VK2 to that.
The Nord A1 has 4-part multi-timbral and every one with its own midi channel, that can also be synced.
So you would need one Vk2 for every OSC out of the AMMO. Or Subtractor, of you don't have it.

So basically it's a 4x everything, each with its own ADSR, ARP, LFO, FM, AMP, and FILTERS.
Master Clock Sync of Arpeggiator, LFO and Delay you need to know what to assign them to and build your modular Nord lead accordingly BECAUSE THEY ARE MUTABLE.

Just an idea... start with a 1 voice VK2 to begin with...
Thank you everyone for the input esp Re8et.

But the simple fact that you state all that has to be done to recreate the nord shows me that reason software will NEVER compare

I'm getting back into hardware at some point. I'll just song write for now

QVprod

22 Apr 2017

tomba wrote:
Re8et wrote: Thank you everyone for the input esp Re8et.

But the simple fact that you state all that has to be done to recreate the nord shows me that reason software will NEVER compare

Interesting. As far as I can see the only thing makes the Nord "better" than any of the synths mentioned is that it's 4 part multitimbral. All that means is that the work of layering is done for you. Other than that, a 2 oscillator synth isn't really anything special so I would have to disagree that Reason will never compare. In fact, its actually considerably more capable (with or without REs) than what can be done on the Nord.

I would actually disagree with Re8et about all the steps necessary (Not that the end result would be bad) as the Nord lead A1 is a very simple synth. 4 part multitimbral functionality is easily replicated with just 4 synths in a combinator.

ambitran

22 Apr 2017

Let's not forget, no matter what work-around you do, nothing has the character and distinct sound of a Nord Lead. Discodsp Discovery VST is the best emulation yet, and even imports Nord Lead sounds

tomba

23 Apr 2017

QVprod wrote:
tomba wrote:

Interesting. As far as I can see the only thing makes the Nord "better" than any of the synths mentioned is that it's 4 part multitimbral. All that means is that the work of layering is done for you. Other than that, a 2 oscillator synth isn't really anything special so I would have to disagree that Reason will never compare. In fact, its actually considerably more capable (with or without REs) than what can be done on the Nord.

I would actually disagree with Re8et about all the steps necessary (Not that the end result would be bad) as the Nord lead A1 is a very simple synth. 4 part multitimbral functionality is easily replicated with just 4 synths in a combinator.

Reason CAN ridiculously layer. But I don't want to anymore. My current almost finished product in reason 8 I do not want to repeat any of the process again with

Reason HAS helped me realize what sound I want per each song part though. And me looking at the Nord is based off hundreds of hrs of work inside reason 8.

QVprod

23 Apr 2017

tomba wrote:
QVprod wrote:
tomba wrote:

Reason CAN ridiculously layer. But I don't want to anymore. My current almost finished product in reason 8 I do not want to repeat any of the process again with

Reason HAS helped me realize what sound I want per each song part though. And me looking at the Nord is based off hundreds of hrs of work inside reason 8.
I'm not trying to convince you against buying it. If you want it you want it. Maybe you just like the character or the idea of turning physical knobs. Honestly was curious if there was some functionality of the Nord that I was missing that made it better since you said Reason would never compare.

raymondh

23 Apr 2017

ambitran wrote:Let's not forget, no matter what work-around you do, nothing has the character and distinct sound of a Nord Lead. Discodsp Discovery VST is the best emulation yet, and even imports Nord Lead sounds

This is the heart of the conversation - what synth has the most similar "character" to the Nord.

It's not about whether the general architecture and features compare to the synth, it's about whether it actually sounds like one.

For example a 2 oscillator DSI synth sounds completely different to a 2 oscillator Roland synth, even if they have the same number of oscillators, envelopes, LFOs, the same modulation routing etc. When you listen to the bendy lead synth on Duran Duran's Don't Save A Prayer - it screams Roland Jupiter 8. When you hear the intro synth to Kim Carnes' Betty Davis Eyes, it is obviously a Sequential Prophet 5. Both fairly simple analog synths with limited modulation, limited Osc waveforms etc but very different sound.

Presumably this is because of the behaviour of the oscillators and especially the filters.

So I guess the question here is, what synth in Reason could fool you into thinking you were listening to an A1? (even if it doesn't have functional equivalence)

raymondh

24 Apr 2017

I found a couple of patches on Malstrom, one called Nordalogue, the other called Nordic.

Not sure if they sound like a Nord Lead?

• Information