I'm looking for a extension that sounds most like Nord Lead A1?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JerrelTheKing

24 Apr 2017

Why not just grab the Nord refill? I dont understand why soooo much value is placed on Rack Extensions over Refills if they can get you where you want to be and there's no RE answer. If youre tired of doing all the layering work of sound design which can really drain the creative process I know, just grab the refill that has done all the work for you in Reason..

JerrelTheKing

24 Apr 2017

I will add though Im really looking forward to developers to start using rack extensions to do hardware emulation refills as opposed to stock stuff. I cant think of a single product like this yet on the Refill market.

fieldframe
RE Developer

24 Apr 2017

JerrelTheKing wrote:I will add though Im really looking forward to developers to start using rack extensions to do hardware emulation refills as opposed to stock stuff. I cant think of a single product like this yet on the Refill market.
Interesting idea. Wonder if one could do a Casio CZ refill with PX7?

QVprod

24 Apr 2017

JerrelTheKing wrote:I will add though Im really looking forward to developers to start using rack extensions to do hardware emulation refills as opposed to stock stuff. I cant think of a single product like this yet on the Refill market.
Out of curiosity, what you be looking for in these refills? I can understand if they're sample based (sampling oscillators), but to recreate hardware with RE based refills, what exactly would be recreated? Original presets if there are any?

unisyn

25 Apr 2017

Interesting thought.

Wouldn't cover the character of the DA converter etc.
but still.. Kawai Additive, PD, LA .. hmmm :)

sublunar

28 Apr 2017

I tried the DiscoDSP once and thought it sounded absolutely horrible. But if you guys say it sounds good I might give it another try now that VSTs are coming.

I've put a lot of time into editing my Nord 2x and if I can approximate patches on it with a VST, then that would take my mobile workstation to new places..

Re8et
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2017

Since i got the NL2x editor working in reason, I started playing my old Nord lead a lot more.
Tonight I made a set starting with the NL sawbass and adding all my reason RE to compare the sound recreating the patches
for each synth modelling after the NL sawbass

1) Viking 2 takes the lead as the most near sounding, with powerful FM and the best filters. For Arp osc you need to go modular.

2) Rob Papen Predator is nearly there, and surpasses the Vk2 if taking the Arp into account, it can be used to modulate the osc.
Also has the best routing matrix as for Arp capable synth.

3/4/5) Ivok, Viking 1and Monopoly takes the 3rd spot, with the Ivok bein more loud. Not own Polysix that could cover the high voices count.

6/7) Antidote sawbass is far behind but in the complex, with the Arp, makes quite a big deal in poly mode, it just sound different.
You have Amp modulation on the backpanel, arp in and out, as for Quad and Predator, there's a lot going on.
It can play the most voices with less cpu than other, overall its a great choice
The Quad is super complete and is possible to get something good playing with the wave section input cv or modulation, but not so many base waveshapes to start. Personally I prefer the Antidote but Quad would get good potentials if just had its filter updated a bit.

Too much different to compare:

Audiorealism Redominator can fill some gap in some bass sounds, as well as Ammo1200, but completely different beasts. Not really fit to the task of emulating all particular sound of the NL.
The Oberon also sound very good, FM shaping is amazing, but it's a completely different architecture to play with ADSR and Matrix. If it were not for the steep learning curve, I'd put it on par or just behind the Predator.

I don't know of any VST's that can do half the thing you can in Reason.

tomba

06 Aug 2017

Re8et wrote:
22 Jul 2017
Since i got the NL2x editor working in reason, I started playing my old Nord lead a lot more.
Tonight I made a set starting with the NL sawbass and adding all my reason RE to compare the sound recreating the patches
for each synth modelling after the NL sawbass

1) Viking 2 takes the lead as the most near sounding, with powerful FM and the best filters. For Arp osc you need to go modular.

2) Rob Papen Predator is nearly there, and surpasses the Vk2 if taking the Arp into account, it can be used to modulate the osc.
Also has the best routing matrix as for Arp capable synth.

3/4/5) Ivok, Viking 1and Monopoly takes the 3rd spot, with the Ivok bein more loud. Not own Polysix that could cover the high voices count.

6/7) Antidote sawbass is far behind but in the complex, with the Arp, makes quite a big deal in poly mode, it just sound different.
You have Amp modulation on the backpanel, arp in and out, as for Quad and Predator, there's a lot going on.
It can play the most voices with less cpu than other, overall its a great choice
The Quad is super complete and is possible to get something good playing with the wave section input cv or modulation, but not so many base waveshapes to start. Personally I prefer the Antidote but Quad would get good potentials if just had its filter updated a bit.

Too much different to compare:

Audiorealism Redominator can fill some gap in some bass sounds, as well as Ammo1200, but completely different beasts. Not really fit to the task of emulating all particular sound of the NL.
The Oberon also sound very good, FM shaping is amazing, but it's a completely different architecture to play with ADSR and Matrix. If it were not for the steep learning curve, I'd put it on par or just behind the Predator.

I don't know of any VST's that can do half the thing you can in Reason.
Thank you Re8et

I also wanted to thank everyone who replied after I made this thread about trying to capture the nord in reason somehow.

I ended up getting a refill which isn't bad

but I will take the suggestion of the Ivok, Viking 1and Monopoly since I only have reason 8
:reason: :re:

• Information