Zvork releases Oberon 2.0

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Libraquaricorn

07 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:This might be a Propellerheads issue, not a Zvork issue but why does when you go to the Propellerhead Shop, does it say in the New Arrivals part, Oberon? it doesn't make clear that this is in fact the 2nd version or it's an update or say Oberon 2. So people who have only recently bought Reason and are not familiar with Re's might think this is a brand new synth, which it isn't. It is an update to an existing Re.
That's how the shop works - all updates are "new arrivals". It's a nice incentive for the developers to keep updating their work, imo.

Arrant
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2017

Oh heck the trials have been reset, I didn't realize before now :shock:
However I can't actually add the instrument into my rack, doesn't show up in the menu. Weird :roll:

RequiemMachine

07 Apr 2017

I tried to Trial it as well...it downloaded but doesn't show up in Reason. It also doesn't show as an active trial on my account Rack Extension page. It is weird.
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Viscor

07 Apr 2017

Same problem as the two guys above me. When I tried to download the demo it kinda bugged out on me. After that I thought I just wasn't logged in properly and that's why it showed me the "download trail" button.
I should mention that I already trailed Zvork once, back when it first came out.

Can someone confirm that the trails have been reset?

Oquasec

07 Apr 2017

All of those work [tried the lumina RE a few weeks back] But decided to just manual/youtube those since that's even more effective for purchasing decisions :P
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

zvork

08 Apr 2017

Here's the first micro tutorial on Oberon 2 : how to import samples.

Majestik Monkey

08 Apr 2017

Thanks Zvork ' :thumbs_up:

That is a big Help & quite brilliant the way the Wave can be Twisted & mangled ' Love this new update 2 !

Keep up the sterling work , :puf_bigsmile:

tanni

08 Apr 2017

Here's the first micro tutorial on Oberon 2 : how to import samples.
thanks. Do Oberon read out the WAV-header from WAV-samples, so I can play already looped samples with rootkey information ?

bsp

08 Apr 2017

I conducted a little experiment with a Tempest drumloop (from an older project) today.

First I made several sequences that trigger portions of the loop.
Then I mapped a few MIDI controllers to Oberon's XMorph, Position, and Motion parameters (both Osc1+2) and recorded a couple of variations of the patterns. The original loop is played by an NN19.

Sounds..interesting :roll:

bsp

08 Apr 2017

Ok, here's another one:

What I did here was record 16 synth sounds from my Prophet 12, use slice edit in Reason to detect the transients (+automatically place slice markers there), then move slice 'n' to the start of bar 'n' in a 16 bar sequence (so that values 0..127 will later map to the slices in increments of 8).

Then I joined all the slices and exported the 16 bar region as a wav which I then loaded into Oberon.

In Oberon I mapped velocity to "wave sequence position", set "Motion" to 15% and increased the release time of the Amp envelope.

Then I sent a simple MIDI sequence to Oberon to play the notes. Each note has a slightly different velocity but the main slice selection is done with a MIDI controller that modulates the note velocities (added to the sequence "base" velocities):

The cool thing is that you absolutely do not need to worry about manually looping the samples. Due to the way Oberon imports the wav, the loops always sound perfect.

I made a couple of mistakes, though. For example, the slice volumes are not leveled and some slices are an octave above others. However, this is just an example to demonstrate the technique.

p.s.: I have absolutely no idea how the vocal sound did emerge. It sure was not one of the original sound slices. Spooky!
p.p.s.: FX used: Jiggery Pokery's Chenille and Steerpike for chorus+delay, Meeker Déjà-vu as another delay (steerpike taps), TSAR-1 for reverb.

p.p.p.s.: @Zvork: I'd highly recommend to add "ModWheel / Pitchbend / CV1..5 @ Note On" modulation sources. This would make things like these a lot easier!

Abstrax

08 Apr 2017

bsp wrote:Ok, here's another one:

What I did here was record 16 synth sounds from my Prophet 12, use slice edit in Reason to detect the transients (+automatically place slice markers there), then move slice 'n' to the start of bar 'n' in a 16 bar sequence (so that values 0..127 will later map to the slices in increments of 8).

Then I joined all the slices and exported the 16 bar region as a wav which I then loaded into Oberon.

In Oberon I mapped velocity to "wave sequence position", set "Motion" to 15% and increased the release time of the Amp envelope.

Then I sent a simple MIDI sequence to Oberon to play the notes. Each note has a slightly different velocity but the main slice selection is done with a MIDI controller that modulates the note velocities (added to the sequence "base" velocities):

The cool thing is that you absolutely do not need to worry about manually looping the samples. Due to the way Oberon imports the wav, the loops always sound perfect.

I made a couple of mistakes, though. For example, the slice volumes are not leveled and some slices are an octave above others. However, this is just an example to demonstrate the technique.

p.s.: I have absolutely no idea how the vocal sound did emerge. It sure was not one of the original sound slices. Spooky!
p.p.s.: FX used: Jiggery Pokery's Chenille and Steerpike for chorus+delay, Meeker Déjà-vu as another delay (steerpike taps), TSAR-1 for reverb.

p.p.p.s.: @Zvork: I'd highly recommend to add "ModWheel / Pitchbend / CV1..5 @ Note On" modulation sources. This would make things like these a lot easier!
woah. sounds dope.

Oquasec

08 Apr 2017

So it's a super NNxt or a thor with a vocoder connected to it.
That plugin is fucking bookmarked.
Producer/Programmer.

RequiemMachine

11 Apr 2017

Viscor wrote:Same problem as the two guys above me. When I tried to download the demo it kinda bugged out on me. After that I thought I just wasn't logged in properly and that's why it showed me the "download trail" button.
I should mention that I already trailed Zvork once, back when it first came out.

Can someone confirm that the trails have been reset?
I got a response from Props support. According to them.the.trials were not reset so if we've already tried it in the past we cannot trial it now. Its a real shame the new functionality could have been.what I was looking for nut I'm not dropping $100 without trying the new features. Oh well.

Viscor

11 Apr 2017

RequiemMachine wrote: I got a response from Props support. According to them.the.trials were not reset so if we've already tried it in the past we cannot trial it now. Its a real shame the new functionality could have been.what I was looking for nut I'm not dropping $100 without trying the new features. Oh well.
Real bummer, but thank you for reaching out to Propellerheads. Seems like I have to give this one a pass for now.

Oquasec

11 Apr 2017

So glad I didn't trial most of those plugins yet cept that lumina RE xD
They have have manuals for em. I already know I'd enjoy the hell out of antidote & oberon if I had em.
Producer/Programmer.

RequiemMachine

11 Apr 2017

Viscor wrote:
RequiemMachine wrote: I got a response from Props support. According to them.the.trials were not reset so if we've already tried it in the past we cannot trial it now. Its a real shame the new functionality could have been.what I was looking for nut I'm not dropping $100 without trying the new features. Oh well.
Real bummer, but thank you for reaching out to Propellerheads. Seems like I have to give this one a pass for now.
Me too, unfortunately.

househoppin09

11 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:So glad I didn't trial most of those plugins yet cept that lumina RE xD
What's the lumina RE? There's nothing in the shop with that name.

Oquasec

12 Apr 2017

Producer/Programmer.

Auryn

12 Apr 2017

I'd like to chip in here to say that I've been working on a refill for Oberon on and off for the last few months, and it really is an amazing synthesizer. The architecture is unique and it can produce an enormous range of sounds with remarkable quality and clarity. Anyone who hasn't tried it yet is basically robbing themselves!
It's a pity there's no option for a re-trial with the new features. The only reason I can think of that the developer didn't do this is because the props charge money for it.

Anyway, IMHO it's a damn shame that this synth doesn't get the attention it deserves. For anyone still sitting on the fence I quickly threw together a demo of some of the patches I have been working on for the refill. It's just a simple demo, no FX/mastering or much arrangement, I don't have the time ATM to edit together a more concise or interesting arrangement, but it will give a nice overview of some of the sounds the synth can do. The first 16 patches you'll hear are actually included with the V2 update, the rest is still WIP for the refill:

~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

zvork

12 Apr 2017

We are working on the trial reset. Hopefully, it will happen :-)

RequiemMachine

17 Apr 2017

zvork wrote:We are working on the trial reset. Hopefully, it will happen :-)
That would be awesome!

modecca

17 Apr 2017

The 20 dollars update is totally worth it.
The range of sounds I can now achieve with the addition of sample loading, waveform modifiers (fm pd sync etc) and ability to randomize everything (waveforms, envelopes, filters etc) is much larger than the first version.

For now I can live with that fact that it is not possible to automate the modifiers(fm pd sync etc).
They appear to using a taxing processes and assigning lfos to them would probably result in a lot of crashing.
🔗💥

Majestik Monkey

18 Apr 2017

tanni

18 Apr 2017

Does Oberon 2 read out the wav-header while sample-loading and imports the loop and rootkey information automaticly ?

zvork

19 Apr 2017

tanni wrote:Does Oberon 2 read out the wav-header while sample-loading and imports the loop and rootkey information automaticly ?
It has access to this information, yes. It suggests the root key found in the file but there is also an estimated root key from an analysis algorithm too. You get to choose.

As for the loops, the fact that everything is a wave table in Oberon means that the loop isn't "automatic". But you can automatically configure an envelope from that loop information to drive the sample playback in the expected manner.

• Information