Zvork releases Oberon 2.0

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zvork

05 Apr 2017

Based on an optimized additive engine, Oberon 2 now builds on the recent 2.5 version of Propellerhead’s Rack Extension SDK to add new powerful sound design features. The synthesizer still features an architecture of two editable filters fed by two additive spectrum sequence oscillators, with bend and morph capabilities, modulated by two LFO’s and three multi-point editable envelopes through a six entry modulation matrix.

Sample loading
Now, users can import up to two simultaneous audio samples of any format supported by Reason into one of the two user wave sequences. Audio samples are analyzed into a sequence of evolving partial spectrums which can then be played by the oscillators. Play complete samples, single cycle wave forms or freeze onto a specific time. Either way, this opens up new possibilities combined with Oberon’s morph and filtering capabilities.

Wave modifiers
Even without audio samples, Oberon’s sound design process has been greatly improved. The introduction of two modifiers on top of the existing user drawable wave form sequences lets you modulate these wave forms in a non destructive way. Each modifier shares the same list of possible operators such as FM, sync, clipping, bit reduction or analog sounding filtering. Since each wave form of the original two step sequence has its unique two modifiers, morphing between a FM wave form and an analog sounding synced wave is now possible.

Enhanced envelopes
Oberon’s 16 point curve based envelopes where already powerful but their loop section was constrained to begin at the first point. With version 2, the start of the sustain loop can be anywhere on the envelope curve. Even the release section now has a separate loop option. Combined with an improved user interface for envelope editing, such as quantize on all four sections, giving movement to your sound is easier than ever.

Workflow enhancements
The latest Rack Extension SDK features let us improve the user interface, especially the main editing display. Each curve type features more templates, quicker functions, sorted menus in a more compact form, leaving more space for the curve display. The modulation matrix has migrated to this central display, giving the interface a less cluttered feel. The two LFO’s now gained a delay and rise parameter for more subtle modulations. For those of you who wish to integrate Oberon inside Blamsof’s Polymodular system, we’ve added a new audio output mode for more compatibility.

Available for Reason 9.2 and above
This version is available only for owners of Reason 9.2 and above at 99$ / 99€ or as a paid upgrade for existing Oberon license owners at 20$ / 20€. Oberon is also available as a bundle with the Noxious additive synthesizer and LeSpace multi-delay at a lower combined price.

chimp_spanner

05 Apr 2017

Bought it, love it! The sample loading is a huge bonus. Thanks so much for this! I'll be using this a *lot* more than I did version one!

decibel

05 Apr 2017

think i'll be updating asap :)

chimp_spanner

05 Apr 2017

Just wanna add to that...the sample loading is fantastic! Took me a while to figure out/remember that there's a position control. Got some crazy metallic sounding time stretching going on. Love love love this!

Majestik Monkey

05 Apr 2017

I have always been happy with Oberon v1 !

But this takes it into a different Realm of Phatt-Squash :puf_bigsmile:

Thank's Zvork Super Work & Sterling UPDATE & Upgrade price to boot :ugeek:

Shokstar

05 Apr 2017

Killer Update, I love the new Sample function :) Good Job @Olivier

bsp

05 Apr 2017

This upgrade was definitely worth the 19e.

With sample loading and the improved envelopes Oberon makes a 100% more sense to me now (and "yay" for release loops, my cries have been heard :)).

@zvork: Would it be possible to have the new (per env) "Duration" / "Attack" / "Sustain" / "Release" knobs available as mod matrix targets ? (they are super useful, btw) (Attack and Release are already there, right?)

"All Duration", "All Attack", "All Sustain", "All Release" targets would also be very convenient.

Regarding samples: I take it that Oberon analyzes the frequency spectrum of the samples and there is no need for any fixed size "wavetable" cycles ?

Arrant
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2017

Looks very interesting!
I would however much prefer the video to feature the actual audio that went along with sample import and the other new features instead of a demo track. My Oberon trial is over long ago, along with many other users on here I'll bet, and a video showing how the synth sounds while used is the next best thing.

zvork

05 Apr 2017

Arrant wrote:Looks very interesting!
I would however much prefer the video to feature the actual audio that went along with sample import and the other new features instead of a demo track. My Oberon trial is over long ago, along with many other users on here I'll bet, and a video showing how the synth sounds while used is the next best thing.
Tutorials are on the way concerning the new features.

Libraquaricorn

05 Apr 2017

Can the sample loading features in Oberon 2.0 in any way compare to the way Proton use samples? Can I skip getting Proton if I upgrade Oberon, is what I'm really asking here...

alex

05 Apr 2017

zvork wrote: ...
Wave modifiers
Even without audio samples, Oberon’s sound design process has been greatly improved. The introduction of two modifiers on top of the existing user drawable wave form sequences lets you modulate these wave forms in a non destructive way. Each modifier shares the same list of possible operators such as FM, sync, clipping, bit reduction or analog sounding filtering. Since each wave form of the original two step sequence has its unique two modifiers, morphing between a FM wave form and an analog sounding synced wave is now possible.
This is awesome! Thank you Zvork! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Viscor

05 Apr 2017

Man, I would love to give Oberon another try now. Does anybody know if Propellerheads grant a second trail for bigger RE updates?
Now with Oberon allowing to load samples I am sure you can get some insane sounds out of it. :D

Creativemind

05 Apr 2017

zvork wrote:
Arrant wrote:Looks very interesting!
Tutorials are on the way concerning the new features.
Excellent!

Looks a very nice synth indeed. Great work.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

05 Apr 2017

Viscor wrote:Man, I would love to give Oberon another try now. Does anybody know if Propellerheads grant a second trail for bigger RE updates?
Now with Oberon allowing to load samples I am sure you can get some insane sounds out of it. :D
I don't think they do. If a synth gets updated though it'd be great if you could trial it again ;)

dvdrtldg

05 Apr 2017

Version 1 of Oberon didn't really do it for me, but this looks amazing

I'll sign a petition for a trial reset if there's one going around

spacefarmer

05 Apr 2017

Libraquaricorn wrote:Can the sample loading features in Oberon 2.0 in any way compare to the way Proton use samples? Can I skip getting Proton if I upgrade Oberon, is what I'm really asking here...
No and no imo.
Additive/Resynthesis and Granularsynthesis are two different beasts with different qualities.
Both, Oberon and Proton are must haves for synthenthusiasts in Reason imo.
I hope, You are able to understand my bad shoolenglish.

Libraquaricorn

05 Apr 2017

spacefarmer wrote:
Libraquaricorn wrote:Can the sample loading features in Oberon 2.0 in any way compare to the way Proton use samples? Can I skip getting Proton if I upgrade Oberon, is what I'm really asking here...
No and no imo.
Additive/Resynthesis and Granularsynthesis are two different beasts with different qualities.
Both, Oberon and Proton are must haves for synthenthusiasts in Reason imo.
I hope, You are able to understand my bad shoolenglish.
Loud and clear, spacefarmer! I've kept Proton on hold in case something similar surfaced in the wake of the new SDK, but it looks like I just have to get the Oberon update, with all the enthusiasm it seems to create for itself. I bought Oberon on sale, liked it at first but then struggled to put it to good use. Found myself lost in endless tweaking eventually going nowhere... I'll give it another shot.

bsp

05 Apr 2017

hmm, I just came back here to tell you that it absolutely can -- depending on your expectations.

I like Proton for ambient pads and Oberon is certainly not a grain cloud sample player.

But: I find that Oberon excels at scanning through samples and sounds more organic at that, IMHO. You also have a lot more control over the playback.

Here's a short sound snippet that I whipped together in a hurry (20min or so):

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2017

That is a nice piece. Definitely shades of TD (esp in that beep sequence).

I championed Oberon 1 and made a lot of patches for the release so am excited to see version 2 but would really like to better understand how sample loading works in with the engine. While the intro video is nice it doesn't really help us understand what is on offer with samples.

At $19 for the update maybe I should just jump but I still would like to see something like Blamsoft did with the eXpanse update video as no Trial (seeing I own V1) makes it hard to understand.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

bsp

05 Apr 2017

Thanks. I actually like it better than the other one I spent 3 hours on :D

Regarding samples and what's on offer:

You can load samples into the two wave slots and do all the things that were possible with the drawable shapes in Oberon 1.

The sample loader performs a spectral analysis of the waveform, it's not just looped sample fragments.

It works best with slow evolving material.

When you feed a drumloop into it, it does not quite sound like a drumloop anymore (it sounds interpolated). Could still be useful for glitched out percussion.
The bell like sound in my sound snippet is actually a drum loop, slowed down almost to a halt. The pitched up part is just another "wave sequence position".

To be honest, if you made a lot of patches for zvork he should grant you a free license. Some devs do that just for reporting a bug !

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2017

Oh I got Oberon 1 and the point update for my patches (and bug finds) but wasn't invited in this time (I didn't know to offer myself) so I'm on the outside which is a shame as I would have loved to play on this update and make more patches.

I just popped Oberon 1 in a track that was 90% done and with things I have learned in the last little while about "warming" had some lovely sounds happening. I settled on a Moggy lead to ice the otherwise minimal cake.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Libraquaricorn

06 Apr 2017

I'm really enjoying the update. Is it me or does the whole synth just sound better? I have only had time to mess about with it at work, but I did this take of two instances with a sample loaded in the one oscillator and classic waveforms in the other:

Abstrax

06 Apr 2017

I'm also looking forward to a video with a little more detail on the sample loading feature.

Biolumin3sc3nt

07 Apr 2017

It would be nice if the trials could be reset.... just sayin! This is a 2.0 Zvork?>?

Creativemind

07 Apr 2017

This might be a Propellerheads issue, not a Zvork issue but why does when you go to the Propellerhead Shop, does it say in the New Arrivals part, Oberon? it doesn't make clear that this is in fact the 2nd version or it's an update or say Oberon 2. So people who have only recently bought Reason and are not familiar with Re's might think this is a brand new synth, which it isn't. It is an update to an existing Re.

• Information