Zvork releases Oberon 2.0

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zvork

19 Apr 2017

zvork wrote:We are working on the trial reset. Hopefully, it will happen :-)
Trials have been reset!

dvdrtldg

19 Apr 2017

zvork wrote:Trials have been reset!
Uh oh

There goes my last remaining reason not to buy it

Loque

19 Apr 2017

zvork wrote:
Trials have been reset!
Nice....its going to be a long weekend now...Thx!
Reason12, Win10

Loque

19 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
zvork wrote:
Trials have been reset!
Nope...not for me. Guess owners cant get another chance to trial.
Reason12, Win10

zvork

19 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
Loque wrote:
zvork wrote:
Trials have been reset!
Can you give me the version of Oberon that you currently have? I'll check with the Props...

Loque

19 Apr 2017

zvork wrote:
Loque wrote:
Loque wrote:
zvork wrote:
Trials have been reset!
Can you give me the version of Oberon that you currently have? I'll check with the Props...
The latest before the update, i think its 1.1.0.
Reason12, Win10

tanni

19 Apr 2017

It has access to this information, yes. It suggests the root key found in the file but there is also an estimated root key from an analysis algorithm too. You get to choose.

As for the loops, the fact that everything is a wave table in Oberon means that the loop isn't "automatic". But you can automatically configure an envelope from that loop information to drive the sample playback in the expected manner.
thanks for the answer. I think thats good news. So I will definitely buy it after I update Reason from version 8 to 9. :thumbs_up:

Faastwalker

19 Apr 2017

zvork wrote:
Trials have been reset!
Excellent news. Definitely going to give Oberon 2 a TRY.

dvdrtldg

20 Apr 2017

I'd love to see some more in-depth videos on using this thing for crazy sound design

The manual is pretty bare-bones, and while I quite like this synth, I'm a bit clueless as to how to unlock its potential, particularly when it comes to working with samples. I'm very excited and inspired by eXpanse, VK2 and Proton, this one not so much

starflakeprj

20 Apr 2017

zvork wrote:
Trials have been reset!
Not working for me, and I don't own version 1, but trialed it some months ago.

Marc64

20 Apr 2017

Same here, can't trail again and I trailed it when v1 came out...

bsp

20 Apr 2017

Sorry to hear that the trial is not working for you.

This really is a great synth and a MUST HAVE, in my honest opinion -- especially if you have outboard gear you want to sample.

The sample importer works wonders with any kind of material you throw at it (*drumloops not so much) and it manages to preserve the original "tone" without sounding "sterile".

The sample slices you can scan through are always looped perfectly (additive re-synthesis magic).

Here's my latest demo tune:

The "song challenge" did not permit any external synths so I created various wavetables with Oberon that I re-imported back into the synth (completely free-form audio clips joined together).

The shape modifiers (FM, phase distortion, ..) cannot be modulated in realtime but I just sampled them and made wavetables out of the parameter movements.

The track uses a few 3rd party samples, though:
  • The opening lead is the freezed decay phase of the University of Iowa's Steinway & Sons model B piano.
  • The bass uses a freezed and resynthesized fragment of a Buchla synthesizer.
The "choir"-like pad towards the end of the track is actually an Oberon 1 patch that is being processed by D16's excellent Decimort 2 RE.

p.s.: The best part is that the synth is highly optimized and takes very little CPU time. Could have been a Propellerhead product ;)

Re8et
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2017

alex wrote:
05 Apr 2017
zvork wrote: ...
Wave modifiers
Even without audio samples, Oberon’s sound design process has been greatly improved. The introduction of two modifiers on top of the existing user drawable wave form sequences lets you modulate these wave forms in a non destructive way. Each modifier shares the same list of possible operators such as FM, sync, clipping, bit reduction or analog sounding filtering. Since each wave form of the original two step sequence has its unique two modifiers, morphing between a FM wave form and an analog sounding synced wave is now possible.
This is awesome! Thank you Zvork! :)
I agree it sounds GREAT! zero aliasing and in your face, using it more and more in my projects.
I don't know if this is the appropriate space to ask, but I would love it twice if the wave modulations parameter could be automated or made remote controllable, maybe next update?

Thanks Zvork!

zvork

23 Jun 2017

Re8et wrote:
20 Jun 2017

I agree it sounds GREAT! zero aliasing and in your face, using it more and more in my projects.
I don't know if this is the appropriate space to ask, but I would love it twice if the wave modulations parameter could be automated or made remote controllable, maybe next update?

Thanks Zvork!
Yes I agree it would be ENORMOUS. It is not an easy task seeing how the wave modifiers are implemented...

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2017

zvork wrote:
23 Jun 2017
Re8et wrote:
20 Jun 2017

Thanks Zvork!
Yes I agree it would be ENORMOUS. It is not an easy task seeing how the wave modifiers are implemented...

:lol: :lol: :thumbs_up:

antic604

17 Sep 2018

Oberon is the current Deal of The Week at -50% (EUR49):

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Sep 2018

bit of a steal at that price....

Loque

17 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Sep 2018

Underrated synth. I bit clunky and different, but with very great possibilities and unique sound! Just wish the modifiers were realtime ;-)
Reason12, Win10

antic604

17 Sep 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Underrated synth. I bit clunky and different, but with very great possibilities and unique sound! Just wish the modifiers were realtime ;-)
With recommendations like those, I have to check it out later today :) Thanks!

Loque

17 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2018
With recommendations like those, I have to check it out later today :) Thanks!
It was the 2nd synth with free wave form drawing, but the first with morphing between them. Since 2.0 you can load samples and use them as waveforms, which can also sound like a grain engine. The oscillators on its own can sound quite fat, with a little bit of a metallic character. I am just still not so used to the GUI.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

17 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
17 Sep 2018
I am just still not so used to the GUI.
Yeah, I can see that.

It's so obvious that the knobs / sliders should've been bigger, even at the expanse of the labels. Also the specific areas (oscillators, LFOs, filters, mixer) could've been more distinguished with splash of color, but this is a common shortcoming of many REs...

Auryn

17 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Yeah, I can see that.

It's so obvious that the knobs / sliders should've been bigger, even at the expanse of the labels. Also the specific areas (oscillators, LFOs, filters, mixer) could've been more distinguished with splash of color, but this is a common shortcoming of many REs...
I actually quite like Oberon's GUI. I've worked with it quite a lot (I did a refill for it) and I have come to appreciate the single large display especially. Editing envelopes precisely is much easier than with Expanse for example.

I really can't recommend this RE highly enough BTW. It has a unique sound with a lot of detail and clarity, and the architecture does a lot of stuff that other RE's just can't. It's such a shame that Zvork isn't developing it further...
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

antic604

17 Sep 2018

Auryn wrote:
17 Sep 2018
I actually quite like Oberon's GUI. I've worked with it quite a lot (I did a refill for it) and I have come to appreciate the single large display especially. Editing envelopes precisely is much easier than with Expanse for example.
Oh, the layout is pretty fine but I imagine those knobs & sliders will be very small on laptop screen. Looks like a lot of wasted space.

Auryn wrote:
17 Sep 2018
I really can't recommend this RE highly enough BTW. It has a unique sound with a lot of detail and clarity, and the architecture does a lot of stuff that other RE's just can't. It's such a shame that Zvork isn't developing it further...
Reading this topic and feedback to the Deal of The Week above I'm struggling to not buying it before I get home from work, you know to actually test it ;) :D

BTW, it's quite awesome that Reason has so many additive synths: Parsec, Oberon, Spektre, even eXpanse and Zero have additive synthesis elements in them. That's quite rare in VST world, to the point that I only can think of NI Razor and Loom.

Auryn

17 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Oh, the layout is pretty fine but I imagine those knobs & sliders will be very small on laptop screen. Looks like a lot of wasted space.
Ah I see, I'm a desktop user myself (with a 32" tv as a monitor) so size is not really an issue for me, but I can understand how it would seem fiddly. It's probably an aesthetic trade-off, considering how Zvork is also a graphic designer.
antic604 wrote:
17 Sep 2018
Reading this topic and feedback to the Deal of The Week above I'm struggling to not buying it before I get home from work, you know to actually test it ;) :D

BTW, it's quite awesome that Reason has so many additive synths: Parsec, Oberon, Spektre, even eXpanse and Zero have additive synthesis elements in them. That's quite rare in VST world, to the point that I only can think of NI Razor and Loom.
Ha well Oberon is really a one-of-a-kind synth, there is really isn't anything like it, even in the VST world. The presets are a bit hit-and-miss, and it took me a while before I got some really interesting sounds out of it. There's a lot more I could say about it but here's a old article that probably covers the basics: https://www.reasontalk.com/2018/02/refi ... nd-design/
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

antic604

18 Sep 2018

Ok, so I've tried it yesterday and it sounds good, doesn't take too much DSP, but I REALLY dislike the GUI, so not being convinced it adds something that I can't do in Parsec, Spectre and Grain I'm gonna pass.

Considering how hyped I was yesterday, I'm quite proud of myself to resist it ;)
Last edited by antic604 on 18 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

• Information