GRID64G by Retouch control!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Gorgon

24 Mar 2017

The ideal companion for Kong
The Grid64g Rack Extension is a gate step sequencer device which is perfect for triggering Kong, Redrum and sampler devices like the NN-19 or NN-XT. It features:

16 independent channels capable of outputting gate with velocity and quantized bipolar CV values
32 steps matrix with independent control over the rate and the length of the pattern for each channel
various pattern edit functions, including randomize, shift left and right, and clear
16 scenes with the ability to copy, paste and delete scenes
solo and mute of channels
recording of solo, mute and scene changes in the main sequencer
scene CV In and Out to chain several devices together for more complex sequencing arrangements

http://retouchcontrol.com/grid64g/

Looks fantastic for us Push users!
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Majestik Monkey

24 Mar 2017

Love it '

A really great partner for Kong/KonGrid64G ' :puf_bigsmile:
Last edited by Majestik Monkey on 24 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Catblack

30 Mar 2017

This RE really needs a basic combi with a Kong already wired into it.
Last edited by Catblack on 01 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

GRIFTY

31 Mar 2017

that video was kind of confusing...... nothing you hear syncs up with what you see. i would love to see some actual live playing of this thing. seems really cool

electrofux

31 Mar 2017

Good idea for a device! There are some caveheats for me though that make ReDrum more flexible in that usecase. Maybe it can be fixed.
Since this device only has 32 Steps, chaining would be a nice thing to have and it actually offers the Scene CV Input for that. But if you use that then you cannot edit anything anymore.
You can however circumvent this issue by using a combinator and automate Scene Selection from there BUT when using pattern chaining an option to turn on/off "follow scene/pattern" is crucial.

Maybe they can build in an internal Chain Sequencer which would be the boss solution. That would be unique and let this device stand out.
Just add another option "Chaining" where you use the 32 top buttons and be able to define a scene for each pad/square. Those scenes get circled through then (the longest drum pattern should define the length shorter ones should loop through).

Catblack

31 Mar 2017

electrofux wrote:Good idea for a device! There are some caveheats for me though that make ReDrum more flexible in that usecase. Maybe it can be fixed.
Since this device only has 32 Steps, chaining would be a nice thing to have and it actually offers the Scene CV Input for that. But if you use that then you cannot edit anything anymore.
You can however circumvent this issue by using a combinator and automate Scene Selection from there BUT when using pattern chaining an option to turn on/off "follow scene/pattern" is crucial.

Maybe they can build in an internal Chain Sequencer which would be the boss solution. That would be unique and let this device stand out.
Just add another option "Chaining" where you use the 32 top buttons and be able to define a scene for each pad/square. Those scenes get circled through then (the longest drum pattern should define the length shorter ones should loop through).
I agree with what you are saying here.

It's interesting in that you can set different lengths and rates for each drum. I do wish there were a couple of longer rates (1 bar, 2 bar, 4 bar) -- hopefully there'll be an update. In fact if there is an update to the RE, I'd love it if the RE itself got away from the grid controller metaphor and showed us what each drum/pad was set to. (Perhaps just displaying a little bit of info with rate/length/cv/vel/etc for the selected one on the side.

As someone who has bumped their heads on getting a grid controller to work with kong and redrum, this is a wonderful RE. It's taking a little bit to get used to the workflow of it though.
Last edited by Catblack on 01 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Damn.

Gorgon

31 Mar 2017

It has a lot of potential but it still needs a lot of optimizing and debugging it seems. Mouse input really isn't good. Seems a little unfinished. But there will be updates obviously. :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

electrofux

01 Apr 2017

It is probably a good allround drums sequencing device IF you have a Grid Controller. As a Reason device it doesnt really offer THAT much more options than lets say ReDrum or other Sequencers. It is very lean though and having different individual pattern lengths is cool. But for me it is not enough.

That's why i suggested including a chain sequencer to make it stand out and it is actually something i am wanting for a long time. There is currently no device that helps in creating a longer Drum Playback.

Gorgon

01 Apr 2017

Well, it's not working with my Push(eR). Did everything exactly like in the documentation, created the midi ports, edited the config file (didn't even forget to place the extra comma), added the control surface, but it's doing fuck all.

And yes, I also updated to the latest PusheR version.

RetouchControl
RE Developer

01 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:Well, it's not working with my Push(eR). Did everything exactly like in the documentation, created the midi ports, edited the config file (didn't even forget to place the extra comma), added the control surface, but it's doing fuck all.

Hi there,
please contact us via our support email, provide your details and we'll be glad to help resolve any issues. For people who are having issues, it's best to contact us directly at retouchcontrol@gmail.com. Thanks.

Gorgon

01 Apr 2017

RetouchControl wrote:
Gorgon wrote:Well, it's not working with my Push(eR). Did everything exactly like in the documentation, created the midi ports, edited the config file (didn't even forget to place the extra comma), added the control surface, but it's doing fuck all.

Hi there,
please contact us via our support email, provide your details and we'll be glad to help resolve any issues. For people who are having issues, it's best to contact us directly at retouchcontrol@gmail.com. Thanks.
Already did, and apparently the cases-sensitivity in the midi ports is a thing.

It's working now and thanks for the great support. :)

Gorgon

01 Apr 2017

Alright, it works GREAT with Ableton Push and the PusheR app. Mouse input is very unresponsive but this way is freaking awesome. Hello Reason step sequencer that I've been waiting for since 2001!

Surfeast

02 Apr 2017

This was the one I was waiting/wishing for for a while . I was not happy with the other Push work flows but this one pretty much nails it Yes the mouse should be able to sweep the grid better but using the controller seems fine.
Inspired by hearing Kraftwerk in 1976

Catblack

02 Apr 2017

RetouchControl has been great at support.

The thing about this RE is that it is a different metaphor/workflow. I'm someone has spent a lot of time working on a codec for a grid controller, but stopped when I got to the drum machines. So I've been thinking along these same lines. And while there's a few minor tweaks I'd make to this workflow, overall it's a literal dream. If you have one of the supported grid controllers, you won't regret getting this.

By minor tweaks I mean things like swapping the CV and Preview buttons on the controller so that the more useful Preview button is nearer to the Scene button. Or perhaps having a second press of Vel/Rate/Length/CV return you to Scene. And definitively if RetouchControl updates the RE, having a bit more info on the front panel might be nice.

But don't let any of that dissuade you. Getting the hang of the interface is pretty fast, and you'll be able to program 32 steps at a time like you've always wanted to!

Damn.

ejanuska

02 Apr 2017

I wonder if the Livid Base II will get any support for this RE.

Catblack

02 Apr 2017

ejanuska wrote:I wonder if the Livid Base II will get any support for this RE.
Doubtful. It's a workflow made for an 8x8 grid.

Damn.

O1B

02 Apr 2017

Do you have the first or second push, if you don't mind?
This seems killer. Any recommendations ?

I lean towards 'Screens with info' so this seems terrific.
The P1 isn't much of an instrument , and livid' base serves better as an instrument,
PusheR seems like Peanut Butter AND Chocolate.

Thanks for any help, G.
Gorgon wrote:The ideal companion for Kong
The Grid64g Rack Extension is a gate step sequencer device which is perfect for triggering Kong, Redrum and sampler devices like the NN-19 or NN-XT.

Looks fantastic for us Push users!

Gorgon

03 Apr 2017

O1B wrote:Do you have the first or second push, if you don't mind?
This seems killer. Any recommendations ?
I have Push 1. And that's more than enough for what I do with it. PusheR was already great to work with for just Reason and Ableton (even at the same time, you can switch by pressing one button from Reason mode to Ableton mode and back), and now with this grid sequencer it's even better.

demt

30 Apr 2017

carnt find anything on PusheR would be really gratefull for a link, n
back on track the GRID64G RE is working like a dream with my novation launchpad i used to think i was ok with drums but this is simply mindblowing its that intuitive. the synths are also kicking out awesum sounds n a complete track seems to take about half an hour

i dont know about you push guys but im getting a grandsworth of kit for 200quid according to the sound lauchpad and 64GRID kick out
in fact id say this is the future of electronic music if advertised properly
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

DJMaytag

26 Jun 2017

Just picked this up, and am looking at an original Launchpad to use with this. Will that work, or do I need a newer one?

So far, I am absolutely LOVING this thing, even sans any external control. One of my biggest gripes with doing drums in Reason was that Redrum was limited to hi/mid/low velocity and that using Matrix sequencers to program drums was a PITA.

• Information