Blamsoft and eXode VK-2 Viking Synthesizer Song Challenge

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

25 Mar 2017

Blast wrote:can I use Synchronous in the song challenge?
Yes

What you may use in your song (with copyright permission):
  • Any Reason native and rack extension Effects and Utilities, including R9 "Players" (no external plug-ins or hardware)
ImageImageImage

bsp

25 Mar 2017

My entry:

I hope you enjoy the Wavestation-like bass line.

21 instances of VK2, 16 audio tracks, and two NNXTs.

No presets were used (but the presets are definitely very good).

EDIT: soundcloud link:

raymondh

25 Mar 2017

bsp wrote:My entry:

I hope you enjoy the Wavestation-like bass line.

21 instances of VK2, 16 audio tracks, and two NNXTs.

No presets were used (but the presets are definitely very good).

EDIT: soundcloud link:
Very nice! I do like the Wavestation-like bassline!

bsp

25 Mar 2017

Thank you very much, Raymond!

The sequence consists of ~140 single shot samples spread over 2 NNXTs, sampled from 13 VK2 instances. The notes are played via pitchbend modulation (note on to select zone, pitchbend to transpose +-24 semitones -- completely bonkers!).

Majestik Monkey

26 Mar 2017

Blast wrote:can I use Synchronous in the song challenge?
Yes you can ' as stated above , Any Re effects , Utility , Player's ! ;)

bsp

26 Mar 2017

Very nice demo, Raymond!

(space reserved for 2nd entry..when I get around to it ;))

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2017

I see the special offer ends at the end of april, could the contest results overlap with the end of the special offer? I'd like to know the winners before the offer ends. Is it possible to shorten the contest a little not to overlap with end of April, just to give us a little more headroom? tnx.

bsp

26 Mar 2017

Agreed, the contest should end before the special offer expires.

However, my 2cents on these "compos" are: The tracks I like best almost never win. It's like feeding $$ bills to a slot machine on the off chance that you might get lucky.

In Germany we say "dabeisein ist alles" (roughly translates to "participation is everything").

Good luck everyone, this is going to be a memorable contest!

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2017

This sound just so f/// awesome.... Sunday morning.... here we go!!

9 vk2 instances, one of which is just a filter fx. All presets. 3 dsp bars.

raymondh

26 Mar 2017

bsp wrote:Very nice demo, Raymond!

(space reserved for 2nd entry..when I get around to it ;))

Loque

26 Mar 2017

Maybe you just missed to add 2 songs from the first page?
Reason12, Win10

bsp

26 Mar 2017

nope, they just reserved a posting space and edited their posts (oldest trick in the book, hah!)

damasio

27 Mar 2017

macbook pro 2014 8 core here. A 3rd minor chord rips my CPU to shreds. Lowering the quality button on the back panel doesn't help.
I can hear there is some good sound processing going on my compliments on that. But if my mac 8 core can't handle it, there is more work to be done. Right now i won't be able to use this rack extension.

Loque

27 Mar 2017

damasio wrote:macbook pro 2014 8 core here. A 3rd minor chord rips my CPU to shreds. Lowering the quality button on the back panel doesn't help.
I can hear there is some good sound processing going on my compliments on that. But if my mac 8 core can't handle it, there is more work to be done. Right now i won't be able to use this rack extension.
I guess that a single RE cant use multiple cores. If thats true, PH need to improve this.
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

27 Mar 2017

Those of us who opted for the portability of a laptop always knew there would be a price to pay one day. ;)

scratchnsnifff

27 Mar 2017

Loque wrote:
damasio wrote:macbook pro 2014 8 core here. A 3rd minor chord rips my CPU to shreds. Lowering the quality button on the back panel doesn't help.
I guess that a single RE cant use multiple cores. If thats true, PH need to improve this.
Here we go, shall we get a head start on telling the props to update the sdk? Hahaha but honestly I agree I feel like if REs could tap into all of the computers power we wouldn't have that issue I find it funny that a 2000 dollar machine is being bullied by a 79$ RE :p in time Itl get better one way or another :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

damasio

28 Mar 2017

2000? try 3500.

Can anyone from the Blamsoft crew jump in here?
A tip to manage cpu cost for future updates:
- Implement release polyphony the same way Thor has, this way there won't be any overlapping notes accumulating voices.

Blamsoft
RE Developer

28 Mar 2017

damasio wrote:2000? try 3500.

Can anyone from the Blamsoft crew jump in here?
A tip to manage cpu cost for future updates:
- Implement release polyphony the same way Thor has, this way there won't be any overlapping notes accumulating voices.
The voice allocation is a known issue. It is due to the envelope curve setting. To get a quick deallocation, set the envelope curve to zero.
Last edited by Blamsoft on 28 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

28 Mar 2017

Well, my machine is more than 5 years old, cost 1800 and can handle this synth. Maybe some guys invested wrong...
Reason12, Win10

ThisIsNotTheMusic

28 Mar 2017

Entry # 2 makes me want to own this Synth, but how many Synths are enough?! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_down: :thumbs_up:

I am going to enter. I'm going to try not to buy it ....
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

Oquasec

28 Mar 2017

One of my fav plugs of all time for wavetables before RE was http://lady.rdsor.ro/~kotro/index.php?m=soft
Expanse and viking look like good reasons to update in the future. [9.5/10]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

28 Mar 2017

ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:Entry # 2 makes me want to own this Synth, but how many Synths are enough?! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_down: :thumbs_up:

I am going to enter. I'm going to try not to buy it ....
5 minutes later ... after some random keyboard play and twiddling ... hmmm something about this is really ... ahem ... resonating with me ... moogy madness is in there aplenty ........ OK f*ck it, I'm buying it ... :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :essentials: !!
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2017

bsp wrote:Thank you very much, Raymond!

The sequence consists of ~140 single shot samples spread over 2 NNXTs, sampled from 13 VK2 instances. The notes are played via pitchbend modulation (note on to select zone, pitchbend to transpose +-24 semitones -- completely bonkers!).
Wow a lot of work for one sound :) but a true example of detailed sound design. I love the way it turned out. Great work man.

I would like to see a part 2 of that song a little longer. Ended too soon for me. ;) and with a very contrasting mellow breakdown.

Not that it isn't great the way it is. Just some thoughts I had while listening.
Really dig how scattered yet organized this song sounds.

Really great work man.

bsp

28 Mar 2017

Advanced Suite wrote:
bsp wrote:Thank you very much, Raymond!

Wow a lot of work for one sound :) but a true example of detailed sound design. I love the way it turned out. Great work man.

I would like to see a part 2 of that song a little longer. Ended too soon for me. ;) and with a very contrasting mellow breakdown.

Not that it isn't great the way it is. Just some thoughts I had while listening.
Really dig how scattered yet organized this song sounds.

Really great work man.
Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate that.

I originally planned for this to be a bit longer but the recording/sampling (b/c of CPU limitations) took a lot more time than I hoped it would.
All in all, including patch design, the track took me ~12 hours and I could not afford to spend more.
At one point I even wanted to scrap it but then I remembered the good advice of "seeing it through anyways and finishing that track".

Now it's back to patch programming and then I'll probably make a new track that demos a completely different aspect of this fine synth :-)

• Information