Blamsoft and eXode VK-2 Viking Synthesizer Song Challenge

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
raymondh

05 Apr 2017

ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:
raymondh wrote:
ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:
raymondh wrote:Here's my entry :)

This is fantastic! I know you didn't use the presets, but how did you achive that amazing lead synth sound (or the layers making it)? Too good.
Thanks! Very kind! I mostly started with presets (if only for the inspiration). The presets are so good.
Then I tweaked them to fit the arrangement and soundscape. The brass lead is an existing patch, just opened the filter a bit to sound more majestic.
There is quite a bit of layering and some new sounds as well, mostly to have some fun with programming the synth and creating rhythmic sounds in 'modular mode'.

I think arrangement can have a really big impact on how a sound is perceived. The quality / feel / impact of a sound may not be what you do to that sound - it might be what you put around the sound. For this track I tried to have contrasting elements to help focus on certain sounds. eg. complement a low sound with a high sound, or complement a fast sequence line with a slow pad, or complement a melodic line with a very static line.

It's a long answer to your question (sorry) but hopefully it is useful :)
That's great advice. My problem is that I just randomly twiddle and assign things and sometimes it ends up well, others not so. I need to learn a lot more, but it all helps. Thanks again, and keep producing those great sounding tracks!
Your track sounds nice too! And frankly if you are experimenting a lot you could come up with a much more compelling track than me, since I tend to follow 'the rules'!

FLVZ

05 Apr 2017

Flavolous wrote:Made this with 9 VK2s & called up a couple of V01s to use for modulation, this synth is phenomenally flexible! :

:mrgreen:
Feel free to omit the above entry Noel G, It was an april fools track :oops: , here's the updated version:

ThisIsNotTheMusic

06 Apr 2017

quote]

Your track sounds nice too! And frankly if you are experimenting a lot you could come up with a much more compelling track than me, since I tend to follow 'the rules'![/quote]

Thank you. I try. There are rules?? :ugeek:
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

Loque

06 Apr 2017

ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:quote]

Your track sounds nice too! And frankly if you are experimenting a lot you could come up with a much more compelling track than me, since I tend to follow 'the rules'!
Thank you. I try. There are rules?? :ugeek:[/quote]
Read the whole first entry in this thread.
Reason12, Win10

ThisIsNotTheMusic

06 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:

Read the whole first entry in this thread.[/quote]

That wasn't what I meant Loque. I'm aware of the comp rules. We were talking about general norms in music I believe, and experimenting. Sorry if I gave you the wrong end of the stick there!

Loque

06 Apr 2017

ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:
Loque wrote:

That wasn't what I meant Loque. I'm aware of the comp rules. We were talking about general norms in music I believe, and experimenting. Sorry if I gave you the wrong end of the stick there![/quote]
There are rules? :oops:
:lol:
Reason12, Win10

ThisIsNotTheMusic

06 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:
ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:
Loque wrote:

That wasn't what I meant Loque. I'm aware of the comp rules. We were talking about general norms in music I believe, and experimenting. Sorry if I gave you the wrong end of the stick there!
There are rules? :oops:
:lol:[/quote]

Erm really do not want to go on about this, but if you read Raymonds comment it lends context to my comment - nothing to do with the rules of this comp. :o :roll:

freyelise

07 Apr 2017

Hi all, just registered here for this contest, been lurking around occasionally for a while. I used to do these song challenges more often on the old Propellerheads user forum, so it's been a while.

I went for a pretty expected route with a synthwave-y song. Some sounds are slightly tweaked presets and some I patched together myself. The lead sound towards the end is a no osc filter resonance patch through a guitar amp RE, which I thought turned out okay, although it was easy to make it way too piercing. (Also for the life of me I couldn't hit the filter cutoff directly at 440Hz, so it's one hertz flat.. meh) I also sampled the drum sounds from VK-2 patched I threw together, enhanced by Kong's effects. (no tone or noise though, as I thought that'd be against the spirit of the challenge)

Here's my entry, hope you like it! I'll take a listen to everybody's songs after the deadline for sure, some good stuff from what I dabbled already!

teddymcw

07 Apr 2017

Vk-2 is big win. This was the first thing that popped out with it. More to come I'm sure.

[allihoopa]https://allihoopa.com/s/Ui6VHPOk[/allihoopa]
Last edited by teddymcw on 08 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

08 Apr 2017

Revised version of my entry below, same as before except slightly remixed and much improved (I hope) drum sound and composition. Please use this entry instead of my original - thanks!

Re8et
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2017

Sunday inspiration!

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2017

was going to hold off a while to trial this but.. here we go

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2017

Alright, Soooo I am going all out for this contest!!! :D

Hope to make one more song to complete the naming of my tracks ;)

Loque

11 Apr 2017

Advanced Suite wrote:Alright, Soooo I am going all out for this contest!!! :D

Some nice ideas. V1 reminds me on Blue Monday.
Reason12, Win10

FLVZ

11 Apr 2017

Well done dude, I honestly think if you spent a bit more time finishing these songs over the next few months it would make an epic album! Really enjoyed that listen!

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:

Some nice ideas. V1 reminds me on Blue Monday.
Wow thank you! That is an amaizing song to get paired with! :) I think they might be close to the same key and tempo.

Advanced Suite
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2017

Flavolous wrote:

Well done dude, I honestly think if you spent a bit more time finishing these songs over the next few months it would make an epic album! Really enjoyed that listen!
Thank you! :D
At the end of the year I will go back through all the songs I made, and will pick my favorites that I want to "polish"

I have a hard time figuring out what sounds good this early on in the process because I am super bias about music I just made. I have a massive attachment to a song I just created because I invested all this time into it.
I always finish a track I am working on because sometimes when I listen to it later I really like it. And sometimes the opposite happenes, a track I really like when I'm working on it doesn't seem so cool later on.

So at the end of the year I am sure some of these will make the final cut. ;)

kimothebeatmaker

11 Apr 2017

This VK2 thing is awesome. It just breathed new life into Reason for me. This and Expanse are my favorites from the Prop Shop!
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

ThisIsNotTheMusic

12 Apr 2017

VK2 has become my Go To Synth for every track I'm working on. Loving it.

NekujaK

12 Apr 2017

My entry - one of those deep night 3am experimentations. Except for vocals, all instruments and sounds are VK-2... 11 of 'em! It's definitely a sweet-sounding versatile synth.

wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

FLVZ

13 Apr 2017

Anyone else having trouble uploading to soundcloud ? tried different browsers, different internet connection, different computer. It completes uploading but doesn't save...

FLVZ

13 Apr 2017

Here's my (2nd) entry, all sounds apart from the girl speaking are from VK2. Managed to create a drumloop using no oscillators or external inputs which was a pretty cool experiment I demoed right at the end!

Edit: Removed the Allihoopa link, didn't realise there were strange rights of useage on that site! Also adjusted grammar...
Last edited by FLVZ on 13 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Oquasec

13 Apr 2017

Soundcloud's only problem is it's storage rules.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information