Blamsoft and eXode present VK-2 Viking Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mind2069

29 Mar 2017

@Nirude

You are so skilled, nobody offered you a contract for a RE GUI

Some would definitely benefit, give the aquios a shot and contact the developer

raymondh

30 Mar 2017

Possible bug -

If you play a sound and then hold down the sustain pedal, when you release the keys, the envelope re-triggers from the start.

Does that sound like the intended behaviour?

KIKBAK1

30 Mar 2017

Sold!, used it in a few tracks.
KIKBAK1.com

Blamsoft
RE Developer

30 Mar 2017

raymondh wrote:Possible bug -

If you play a sound and then hold down the sustain pedal, when you release the keys, the envelope re-triggers from the start.

A fix for the sustain pedal bug has been submitted to Propellerhead.

raymondh

30 Mar 2017

Blamsoft wrote:
raymondh wrote:Possible bug -

A fix for the sustain pedal bug has been submitted to Propellerhead.
Thanks!

Loque

02 Apr 2017

This synth makes me horny! Big thx to the devs and also to the patch designers! Your on my fav list!
Reason12, Win10

SYBRIX

02 Apr 2017

just bought this. got a lot to learn :D

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2017

Loque wrote:This synth makes me horny! Big thx to the devs and also to the patch designers! Your on my fav list!
Glad to see I'm not the only one, for a while I thought I was not normal feeling horny playing about with this synth LOL

The CPU is a little on the heavy side but the power of this thing pushes that to one side... :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

and there is so much to learn and experiment with, I'm in my heaven.... :D

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

05 Apr 2017

Nektar mapping done for the VK2 and can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466&p=317743#p317743

Auryn

05 Apr 2017

So while doing sound design for this device I had a few combinator ideas that didn't get finished before the sound bank was due. I've finished them now and put them up for free download on my site here (bottom of the page): https://www.quixoticsounddesign.com/vk-2/

Most of the combi's revolve around the idea of using external CV to tune one or more of the oscillators, which makes it possible to create hybrid monophonic/polyphonic patches, where you can have one oscillator play a chord while the other plays an arpeggio for example. Several template combinators are provided, along with some presets to try, and a short description/manual. If you're into experimenting, it should be up your alley.

If you have any questions about the combinators you can PM me or use the contact form on the site.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

qn5

06 Apr 2017

Yup. This thing is a fucking BEAST. Sounds amazing. Great patches.
And it will eat your CPU's babies. Loving it so far though. Just have to be judicious with the usage.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

joeyluck

08 Apr 2017

A suggestion:

Could an 'ALL effects on/off' button be added? Somewhere outside of the panel perhaps, because there are many patches saved on the Mod Buses/LFOs panel. And you have to first navigate to one of the effect panels to access the individual on/off buttons for each.

I am less likely to turn off Dist, Phaser, and Chorus, but sometimes I do.
Most of the time it's turning off the reverb and delay.

Or maybe in lieu of this, a folder similar to the Low CPU folder, that contains all patches without effects. Or at least without delay/reverb.
Could call it 'no ambience' or 'naked' or 'raw.' Could exist in the home folder and in Low CPU folder. Too much?
I feel browsing is much nicer when songwriting when you know when to expect reverb on patches (and at times, extra reverb on top of what you might have on the channel). Just an idea :)

FLVZ

11 Apr 2017

Is it possible to incorporate Oscillator On/Off buttons ? I have multiple patches which utilise the Loop adsr & loop s functions of the envelopes, and they basically continuously run unless I dedicate a slow lfo to the amp control to cut-off the oscillator. Sometimes this doesn't even work and I just go about my business with the noise in the background.

Faastwalker

13 Apr 2017

Finally got around to hitting the TRY button on VK-2. Very impressed so far. Sounds really, really, nice. I've just been going through presets currently. There's a great range of sounds here and some of the presets are amazing. Excited by the modulation possibilities and the amount of audio and CV I/O on the back is insane! Think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this before the intro offer expires.

Faastwalker

14 Apr 2017

...... got the dreaded 'computer to slow' message with a single instances of VK-2, nothing else and a fair bit of modulation. That's disappointing. First time I've ever had that on my current build, which I did a couple of years back. I had the quality settings to normal. Didn't expect to see that message. I think I might need an upgrade before I pull the trigger on VK-2!!

Windows 10
i5 3.0 ghz CPU
8GB RAM

Loque

15 Apr 2017

Faastwalker wrote:...... got the dreaded 'computer to slow' message with a single instances of VK-2, nothing else and a fair bit of modulation. That's disappointing. First time I've ever had that on my current build, which I did a couple of years back. I had the quality settings to normal. Didn't expect to see that message. I think I might need an upgrade before I pull the trigger on VK-2!!

Windows 10
i5 3.0 ghz CPU
8GB RAM
Disable the warning. Maybe there is just a peak.
Reason12, Win10

The_G

19 Apr 2017

Man, this thing is brutal on the CPU--only 4 instances before I started to get glitching and the dreaded "computer too slow" message. For comparison's sake, I can do 6 instances of Expanse before the same thing starts.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Audiotic

19 Apr 2017

I don't mind the CPU strain so much... It makes me focus on the instruments I already have, thus focusing more on writing or automation. Although without bouncing audio, I wouldnt be able to use any of the pads ;)

Another thing thats actually due to the great organic sound of the thing is that some notes/parts have a slightly different feel/sound when you play them each time... makes it hard to go for Exactly that sound you want without bouncing multiple takes. I'm not complaining though, since that slight unpredictability is what makes the sound special ;)

Faastwalker

19 Apr 2017

Yes, a CPU mutilator this one. Sounds fantastic though. Will probably buy it once I've upgraded my computer - going for an i9 Quantum 8-core CPU with at least 128GB of fast RAM. Might be able to make a track with this thing then :shock:

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2017

Audiotic wrote:I don't mind the CPU strain so much... It makes me focus on the instruments I already have, thus focusing more on writing or automation. Although without bouncing audio, I wouldnt be able to use any of the pads ;)

Another thing thats actually due to the great organic sound of the thing is that some notes/parts have a slightly different feel/sound when you play them each time... makes it hard to go for Exactly that sound you want without bouncing multiple takes. I'm not complaining though, since that slight unpredictability is what makes the sound special ;)
Are you speaking of the jitter and drift features that replicate analog oscillators ?

challism

20 Apr 2017

Something I have been having a blast doing lately, is running audio thru VK-2's filters. It sounds amazing! And it's a way to be able to use VK-2 and not have it eat up my DSP. :) I love this synth!! <3
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

chimp_spanner

21 Apr 2017

Trialled it...sat on it for a while...realised nothing else in the rack comes close in terms of the filter section, and just the detail in the oscillators. I really, really like this synth. Worth every penny. Get it while it's cheap!!!

DinoJ

22 Apr 2017

challism wrote:Something I have been having a blast doing lately, is running audio thru VK-2's filters. It sounds amazing! And it's a way to be able to use VK-2 and not have it eat up my DSP. :) I love this synth!! <3
Probably a silly question and if it something I have missed when I skimmed through manual then apologies up front. But I was trying to figure out how to feed audio through VK-2 last night to use the filters as you suggested and I could not get it working. Is there something specific you have to do? I do it all the time with Antidote and it a breeze but with this I was left scratching my head... admittedly it was Friday night and I was maybe a tad worse for wear lol

eXode

22 Apr 2017

DinoJ wrote:
challism wrote:Something I have been having a blast doing lately, is running audio thru VK-2's filters. It sounds amazing! And it's a way to be able to use VK-2 and not have it eat up my DSP. :) I love this synth!! <3
Probably a silly question and if it something I have missed when I skimmed through manual then apologies up front. But I was trying to figure out how to feed audio through VK-2 last night to use the filters as you suggested and I could not get it working. Is there something specific you have to do? I do it all the time with Antidote and it a breeze but with this I was left scratching my head... admittedly it was Friday night and I was maybe a tad worse for wear lol
You have to trigger the gate for the VCA to open. Best approach imho is to set VK2 to modular mode and then disconnect the EG routed to the AMP and adjust the level accordingly. Make sure that no oscillator is routed into the mixer or you'll hear a continuous sound from them.

You can also use the attached preset for convenience. :)
Attachments
VK2_Processing.zip
VK2 set up for external audio
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

geronimo

22 Apr 2017

Many thanks: and the verso-patch picture.

In trying, I notice that we do not go through the effects of the Viking.

• Information