Blamsoft and eXode present VK-2 Viking Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

25 Mar 2017

Josdams wrote:I tried this, Is that correct ? I can't tell as it's my first time on it
Should be good! :thumbs_up:

Josdams

25 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
On the other hand, VK2 is neither Serum or Expanse (and it shouldn't really try to be). Most real analogs have impurities like noise and distortion in it's signal path and they also have a noise floor of about -90 dB to -80 dB. :)
ohhhh i see ! very interesting ! here is another but with jitter on at 40% and Drift 40% OSC mode :921, CPU usage :High, Drive Usage : High

Mixer OSC 1 amount : 100% Amp Level : 0.0 dB Amp mode : Linear

scratchnsnifff

25 Mar 2017

Loque wrote:I dont understand the CPU arguments... There are plenty cheap sounding CPU friendly synths available. A lot of complaints about cheap sounds in Reason. Now there is a wolf in the mouse cage, and they complain. Good sound quality and features have their price. I would like to know if the forums for Serum or similar synths are also full of complaints?
actually the other day i read a serum forum, and yes there were mad complaints about cpu usage but steve has optimized serum since then :p. it gives me hope that blamsoft will do the same. lol i just find it frustrating when you spend loads of money on a laptop. and then within a few months a new device comes out and can kill your cpu bars. but i love the device no complaints here. i understand the whole thing of having a price to pay for good quality. i suppose it was my fault for having to get a macbook pro (school made me do it :/ ) if i had my way i would have stuck with windows and had a laptop that could run viking :0
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Jonathan10

25 Mar 2017

I posted earlier saying i thought Legend was cleaner version of vk 2. After more playing i withdraw that comment. Vk 2 is a different beast with much more flexibility and frankly, this thing is awesome and among the best or the best sounding thick synth. Hats off to the developers. And for the price.... No brainer
:refill:

Blamsoft
RE Developer

25 Mar 2017

Josdams wrote:Image
It looks good, but you will get the pure sawtooth harmonic decay using the "Clean" mode (switch on the back). Like Exode said, set the oscillator CPU switch to high. And turn the jitter and drift to zero. Like you are doing already, to see a clean waveform you need to take the output from the waveform jack because there is drive/distortion in the mixer and amp. If you run the oscillator through the mixer and amp you will see additional harmonics.

Loque

25 Mar 2017

Blamsoft wrote:
Josdams wrote:Image
It looks good, but you will get the pure sawtooth harmonic decay using the "Clean" mode (switch on the back). Like Exode said, set the oscillator CPU switch to high. And turn the jitter and drift to zero. Like you are doing already, to see a clean waveform you need to take the output from the waveform jack because there is drive/distortion in the mixer and amp. If you run the oscillator through the mixer and amp you will see additional harmonics.
Interesting... Thx...
Reason12, Win10

artotaku

25 Mar 2017

Wow. This is a stunning sounding synth. Listening to my favourite chord progression at least for an hour now while changing patches.

Ahornberg

25 Mar 2017

Will there be a song challenge for VK-2?

bsp

25 Mar 2017

I finished my compo entry today (https://allihoopa.com/s/yuLJ3jvD) (=> the song challenge has already started).

First I said this synth is great, then it's awesome, now I say it's absolutely amazing.

I mean, 69 euros -- the OB-6 costs 3159e, that's more than 45x the price and this soft synth, while resembling a Moog Model 15 desing wise, can definitely do SEM/Oberheim-ish sounds (pads!).

Absolutely amazing times we live in!
Last edited by bsp on 25 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Electric-Metal

25 Mar 2017

Ahornberg wrote:Will there be a song challenge for VK-2?
It´s happening already ;)
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

raymondh

25 Mar 2017

I've spent several hours with this synth over the last day and I'm really impressed. It really does trip analog goodness!

Even though this is viciously CPU expensive, I think it will be a must have.

Ahornberg

25 Mar 2017

Electric-Metal wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:Will there be a song challenge for VK-2?
It´s happening already ;)
Great!

Libraquaricorn

25 Mar 2017

69 for this synth is a steal. I particularly enjoy teaming it up with PSQ-1684 and then modulate the crap out of both. Reason is really turning into an analog emulation heaven, and I love it. I'd probably pay up for a decent tape emulation if someone was to offer it. Would be a real sweet Icing on the analog cake...

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2017

Karim wrote:Oh my....

Good night, folks ..

OMGOOD MORNING FOKS AN LAYDIES :)

Data_Shrine

26 Mar 2017

First time I wishes I had R9. Unfortunately exchange rate + upgrade fee will be too high. Hopefully it will come back in sale in a few years ;P

bsp

26 Mar 2017

It costs a lot of money, yes. Reason is the single most expensive equipment I have (and I do own quite a lot of HW synths).

But: It's rock-steady (stable as a rock), and the 9.x features are worth the admission fee, in my honest opinion.

You only live once (and now!), think about it ;)

fieldframe
RE Developer

26 Mar 2017

bsp wrote:It costs a lot of money, yes. Reason is the single most expensive equipment I have (and I do own quite a lot of HW synths).
I'm actually really curious: Reason retails for USD $400. All of your hardware synths were cheaper than that?

bsp

26 Mar 2017

fieldframe wrote:I'm actually really curious: Reason retails for USD $400. All of your hardware synths were cheaper than that?
No but if you count in all the REs it really adds up.
As usual, I regret nothing :D

EDIT: my grand-father was a teenager in WW2. he used to clean up bodies in the exact same place where I live now (coincidence). 90 years old and he's still suffering from PTSD and does not even know it. why I am telling you this? "regret". And a reminder of what amazing times we live in.
Last edited by bsp on 26 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

26 Mar 2017

bsp wrote:
fieldframe wrote:I'm actually really curious: Reason retails for USD $400. All of your hardware synths were cheaper than that?
No but if you count in all the REs it really adds up.
As usual, I regret nothing :D
You get an analog synth for 69? Drummachines, fx, samplers, synth and a bunch more for less than 400 for hardware? Where? I want to throw my money at them!
Reason12, Win10

bsp

26 Mar 2017

you get diddlysquat for 69 bucks in the hardware world. well, you might get a Behringer CC300; I paid 15 quid for mine, and it's very similar to a Juno chorus :D

While the Reason software and all its REs probably have zero resale value (unlike HW), I like to compare it to an Access Virus hardware soft synth (that's just me, don't ask) and in this case, Reason wins hands down.

Morphic1977

26 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
Libraquaricorn wrote:Is it just me or is this beast a serious cpu hog?
"With industry leading DSP and audio rate modulation, VK-2 can be quite CPU hungry. There are several switches that allow you to turn down the quality of individual algorithms. VK-2 is designed for recent desktop computers."

:)
Exode, could you please post the recommended PC hardware setup or components (cpu, ram, ...) you and Blamsoft are using for Viking 2 and/or Expanse ? I know it is depending on project complexity, but if I would to use 5 to 7 examples of Viking 2 what PC is fast enough to play it smoothly?
:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

eXode

26 Mar 2017

Morphic1977 wrote:Exode, could you please post the recommended PC hardware setup or components (cpu, ram, ...) you and Blamsoft are using for Viking 2 and/or Expanse ? I know it is depending on project complexity, but if I would to use 5 to 7 examples of Viking 2 what PC is fast enough to play it smoothly?
eXode wrote:Not sure how many tracks everyone can get but I'd try to challenge myself regarding the amount of tracks and restrict the use of polyphony.

Like I stated in the the other thread, my psytrance demo track uses at most 7 monophonic instances of VK2, all set to max quality. I'm also running one instance of Kong for drums. With those settings my CPU is almost maxing out, but If I set everything to the lowest quality I get 2-3 bars. This is on a 4 year old Core i7 3770K system with 16 Gb RAM running Win 7 64-bit.
:)

Data_Shrine

26 Mar 2017

bsp wrote:It costs a lot of money, yes. Reason is the single most expensive equipment I have (and I do own quite a lot of HW synths).

But: It's rock-steady (stable as a rock), and the 9.x features are worth the admission fee, in my honest opinion.

You only live once (and now!), think about it ;)
You really got me thinking. I'm considering updating soon now haha. And the story of your grandfather.. i'm 34 and already full of regrets, and they're due to my constant hesitation over almost everything in life. Granted, updating isnt a life or death issue, yet i've been dealing with it as one.
Last edited by Data_Shrine on 26 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Kalm

26 Mar 2017

It's reasons (pun very intended) like these I don't envy other DAWs or ecosystems. VK-2 looks beautiful *sobbing*. At some point I will get it and The Legend.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information