Blamsoft and eXode present VK-2 Viking Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

22 Apr 2017

I actually use the audio inputs 1-2 below and into the mixer and not directly into the filter in my example.

Not sure if you have the FX enabled because the signal does go through the FX.

DinoJ

22 Apr 2017

eXode wrote:
DinoJ wrote:
challism wrote:Something I have been having a blast doing lately, is running audio thru VK-2's filters. It sounds amazing! And it's a way to be able to use VK-2 and not have it eat up my DSP. :) I love this synth!! <3
Probably a silly question and if it something I have missed when I skimmed through manual then apologies up front. But I was trying to figure out how to feed audio through VK-2 last night to use the filters as you suggested and I could not get it working. Is there something specific you have to do? I do it all the time with Antidote and it a breeze but with this I was left scratching my head... admittedly it was Friday night and I was maybe a tad worse for wear lol
You have to trigger the gate for the VCA to open. Best approach imho is to set VK2 to modular mode and then disconnect the EG routed to the AMP and adjust the level accordingly. Make sure that no oscillator is routed into the mixer or you'll hear a continuous sound from them.

You can also use the attached preset for convenience. :)
Thanks ever so much eXode, that patch worked perfectly and allowed me to see where I had gone wrong (which was everywhere... I was way off! lol). Using the audio inputs as you suggest means I can use the effects unit as well as the filters, which is really cool too. Just want to say, well done to you and Blamsoft for your fine work, I am one well happy owner of both VK-2 and eXpanse :D

scratchnsnifff

22 Apr 2017

Will there be any in depth tutorials on the modular capabilities of the vk2? Also how to use it as a stand alone effect unit? Don't know why it's going over my head but I love the chorus and distortion of the vk2 haha
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

22 Apr 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:Will there be any in depth tutorials on the modular capabilities of the vk2? Also how to use it as a stand alone effect unit? Don't know why it's going over my head but I love the chorus and distortion of the vk2 haha
Connect the audio source to an input and select it in any source, eg in the mixer. You need a note in VK-2 tomale it route the audio to the FX, that means, create a note lane and play a note in the lane as long as you want the fx.
Reason12, Win10

DinoJ

23 Apr 2017

If you use the patch eXode posted here a few posts back in answer to my question about routing audio through it, you don't seem to need a note lane for it. I put an instance of VK-2 in a Bus channel to use some of the effects and it has no note lane and nothing triggering a gate and the filter and effects still seem to be working just fine without it. Just route the audio through audio input 1 and 2 and use the main out of VK-2 as per normal. I am loving this synth so much right now, it just win all round :D

Libraquaricorn

23 Apr 2017

That feeling, when the trial of the only synth you've played with for a month times out and you must either buy it or wait another week for the highly unlikely possibility that you'll win it in a song challenge competition... #rackfeelssoempty

leonxx1983

23 Apr 2017

VK-2 is a nice synth but not quite as good as The Legend - that sounds more powerful and real to me. I knew as soon as I started playing with it. I find Legend also a bit more straightforward for sound creation - perhaps more like using a hardware analogue synth.

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2017

leonxx1983 wrote:VK-2 is a nice synth but not quite as good as The Legend - that sounds more powerful and real to me. I knew as soon as I started playing with it. I find Legend also a bit more straightforward for sound creation - perhaps more like using a hardware analogue synth.
i do belive VK-2 has much more sonic capabilities. i agree with Legend being a little more straightfoward to use right off the bat, but nothing a few hours of learning the synth won't fix.

chimp_spanner

23 Apr 2017

VK2 beats Legend IMO. Not by much and they're both very good! But the mod speeds on Legend just aren't fast enough, and the envelopes not deep enough. With VK2 the more I push it the more it gives me. And of course the modulation and routing options are superior too.

Not by any means shitting on Legend though. I use it all the time, and it works really well alongside VK2 and 1. I've been making tracks using nothing but those three together and the results are amazing!

leonxx1983

23 Apr 2017

aeox wrote:
leonxx1983 wrote:VK-2 is a nice synth but not quite as good as The Legend - that sounds more powerful and real to me. I knew as soon as I started playing with it. I find Legend also a bit more straightforward for sound creation - perhaps more like using a hardware analogue synth.
i do belive VK-2 has much more sonic capabilities. i agree with Legend being a little more straightfoward to use right off the bat, but nothing a few hours of learning the synth won't fix.
Sure I agree, more sonic possibilities, but for powerful, deep basses Legend wins! Just the raw oscillators sound thicker and more alive to me.

The_G

24 Apr 2017

Personally, I think Legend sounds a lot better than VK-2, but on the other hand, VK-2 is more versatile, with much more comprehensive modulation options. So it really depends on what you are looking for.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

nscerri

29 Apr 2017

Just purchased the VK2... it sounds truly amazing. I will still support good RE's especially exclusive one's even though now we have VST's coming. It is very important to embrace the fact that Propellerhead has transformed Reason from the most closed system to most versatile since it has its own SDK.

miscend

29 Apr 2017

In my own experience Legend sounds better in terms of the raw sound of the oscs and filters. But VK2 is more capable in terms of having far more features, however the CPU usage is also quite astronomical.

Catblack

30 Apr 2017

Even with 9.5 on the horizon I couldn't pass up this synth. The amount of routing in it is amazing. I'm looking forward to exploring it more.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

RequiemMachine

04 May 2017

Wow. Just got around to trialing this beast and its beautiful. The routing possibilities are worth it alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

nscerri

12 May 2017

An update of VK-2 (1.0.4) is now available. I am impressed with their support. Thanks :)

eXode

18 Aug 2017

Sorry if I got your pulse going, nothing fun (as in new) to see here.

I have been working on a new commercial ReFill for VK-2 and am getting close to finished with the audio track. I can honestly say that VK-2 is my favorite analogue sounding software synthesizer at the moment. I guess I might be biased because of my involvement, but that still doesn't change the fact. :)

Last edited by eXode on 19 Aug 2017, edited 2 times in total.

CaliforniaBurrito

18 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
18 Aug 2017

I have been working on a new commercial ReFill for VK-2 and am getting close to finished with the audio track. I can honestly say that VK-2 is my favorite analogue sounding software synthesizer at the moment. I guess I might be biased because of my involvement, but that still doesn't change the fact. :)

Sounds great!

eusti

18 Aug 2017

Really nice, Exode! :)

D.

Auryn

22 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
18 Aug 2017

These are some really impressive retro sounds right here... I'm afraid if I play any more of it my apartment will sprout neon signs and a dystopian cityscape view ;-)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Faastwalker

29 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
18 Aug 2017

Nice. Really nice. There's a definite heft & weight to the VK2's sound capabilities.

raymondh

29 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
18 Aug 2017

Very nice sounds!

With the current sale, I decided to go ahead and buy VK-2. Really great sound, even if I can only run a couple of instances :)

FLVZ

29 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
18 Aug 2017

Listening to this just makes me want to open up VK2 and have some fun! Will this package include combinators taking extensive advantage of the modular capabilities ?

eXode

29 Aug 2017

This ReFill will be focused on device patches primarily since it will be themed towards New Retro and not modular explorations. :)

FLVZ

29 Aug 2017

eXode wrote:
29 Aug 2017
This ReFill will be focused on device patches primarily since it will be themed towards New Retro and not modular explorations. :)
Thats cool, I guess I have the default patches to look at for modular exploration examples. Some of the current combi presets are a bit heavy on the eye though :D

• Information