Blamsoft and eXode present VK-2 Viking Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Blamsoft
RE Developer

27 Mar 2017

manisnotabird wrote:Is there a setting on the frequency input CV trim on the oscillators that allows it to accurately track note CV? I was wanting to create a paraphonic patch where each of the oscillators is playing a different note.
No, sorry, that is not possible.

kungubu

27 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
kungubu wrote:I can't find a way to scale modulation amounts outside a combinator – for example if I want to control fm amount with an envelope or a lfo. Is there something I've missed or is this the way it's supposed to be?
You use a mod bus for that.

I.e. Source: OSC1 Sine | Scale: EG1. Then you route that mod bus to the destination, i.e. Mod Bus 2 in the OSC2 Linear FM Input. :)
Thanks – now I see how it works.

evolve187

27 Mar 2017

First off - Let me say that I love the sound of this synth - it is relatively CPU hungry but one way I found that gives me a bit more breathing room is to turn off the internal reverb effect if the patch uses it and use an insert instead.

This reduced the CPU requirements in many cases, making a patch go from sketchy (audible pops) to smooth and it puts your synth in a reverb field that is consistent with other sounds.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

deepndark

28 Mar 2017

Ok, I'm TRIAL'ing this atm. and hell yes! WOW! This is maybe the best sounding RE synth yet. Work well done on the sound part, Blamsoft & eXode.
Propably the quality of this synth needs all the CPU and my opinion is: It's better to create a synth with such an awesome sound-quality, than making another mediocre one.
I see Viking 2 as a future-synth. So I need to start saving for a new Power-PC - be it Ryzen or Intel - so after a year or two I can run at least 20 VK2:s at the same time. :)

alex

28 Mar 2017

Another thing worth to mention is the modeled distortion circuitry, its really effective and sounds amazing! :thumbs_up:

Which reminds me: please Blamsoft, make a standalone version of that one! :)
I'm thinking of a whole new device, a la saturation knob, but with more twists, like selectable distortion algorithm, a dry/wet control, global output volume (and possibly an optionally a pre-distortion eq stage). I would buy it instantly!
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Loque

28 Mar 2017

alex wrote:Another thing worth to mention is the modeled distortion circuitry, its really effective and sounds amazing! :thumbs_up:

I'm thinking of a whole new device, a la saturation knob, but with more twists, like selectable distortion algorithm, a dry/wet control, global output volume (and possibly an optionally a pre-distortion eq stage). I would buy it instantly!
I thought the same. Also the same for the FX. I did not had that much time yet, but imo the amp sounds good on many material, but not at all material. The delay sounds greate in stereo, same for the reverb. Would like to know if they are the same as in Zero. As i said, not that much time to check them in deep or compare them.

But tbh, i would not pay that much for separated FX, so IF you do it, maybe you can considere a update/crossgrade or a package price, maybe with the synth.
Reason12, Win10

Noplan
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2017

Sheesh... that thing eats my CPU even with low settings. Time to upgrade.

FLVZ

28 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:I don't know if this have been brought up yet, but some of you might have noticed that there's a mono mode, and a modular mode. The modular mode is what you want to use when using VK-2 in a Combinator, connected to other devices. Modular mode makes sure that the oscillators and noise are always, well oscillating and making noise. :)
I created a patch using "loop s" on EG2 going to the amp as per usual. The patch runs continuously, is there a way to make it only run when notes have been triggered (without having to tamper with the delicate envelope settings that make the patch)?

Exowildebeest

28 Mar 2017

I'm wondering if I'm missing something: there seem to be no CV inputs for the LFO speeds. Odd oversight or intentional? I can't find any internal way of affecting the LFO speeds either - the only way is a Combinator...?

Loque

28 Mar 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:I'm wondering if I'm missing something: there seem to be no CV inputs for the LFO speeds. Odd oversight or intentional? I can't find any internal way of affecting the LFO speeds either - the only way is a Combinator...?
Iam always missing in or outs, there can never be enough imo. I am just wondering that noone thought about flipping a section and popping out mod destinations or other controls or a different oscilatoror or filter, like in Thor. Wouldnt it be nice, to flip a VK-2 oscilator and you have tons of more possibilities and modulations? Same for a LFO...
Reason12, Win10

Auryn

28 Mar 2017

Flavolous wrote:I created a patch using "loop s" on EG2 going to the amp as per usual. The patch runs continuously, is there a way to make it only run when notes have been triggered (without having to tamper with the delicate envelope settings that make the patch)?
I don't think there is an internal way to do that (you could use a slow one-shot saw from one of the LFO's as an extra envelope, but it will decay)
Easiest way is to put the VK-2 into a combinator together with a thor, intialize the thor and then in the thor's mod matrix select "last key>last gate" as a mod source and cv out 1 as a destination. Then connect the thor's CV out 1 to the VK-2's amp cv control input, that should do the trick.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

manisnotabird

28 Mar 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:I'm wondering if I'm missing something: there seem to be no CV inputs for the LFO speeds. Odd oversight or intentional? I can't find any internal way of affecting the LFO speeds either - the only way is a Combinator...?
Use one of the oscillators as an LFO?

miscend

28 Mar 2017

I think I would need to know if CPU optimisation is a priority in future maintenance updates before I invested in this synth.

scratchnsnifff

28 Mar 2017

alex wrote:Another thing worth to mention is the modeled distortion circuitry, its really effective and sounds amazing! :thumbs_up:

Iv been wanting them to make an effect module RE that uses some of expanses modifiers and there distortion algorithms from Viking vk2 :D that'd be as nasty As it gets not sure if the expanse modifier would be able to do what it does to an audio input of sorts but I think that'd be a great sale for those who want to use a part of expanse but don't have the 150, haha I'd use it either way, I really think blamsoft is hitting every nail on the head :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

FLVZ

28 Mar 2017

Auryn wrote:
Flavolous wrote:I created a patch using "loop s" on EG2 going to the amp as per usual. The patch runs continuously, is there a way to make it only run when notes have been triggered (without having to tamper with the delicate envelope settings that make the patch)?
I don't think there is an internal way to do that (you could use a slow one-shot saw from one of the LFO's as an extra envelope, but it will decay)
Easiest way is to put the VK-2 into a combinator together with a thor, intialize the thor and then in the thor's mod matrix select "last key>last gate" as a mod source and cv out 1 as a destination. Then connect the thor's CV out 1 to the VK-2's amp cv control input, that should do the trick.
Fantastic, did the job with just the slow lfo, many thanks!

zeebot

28 Mar 2017

I can't wait for when refills by the usual folks are released because they are make some amazing sounds with this beast.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Exowildebeest

29 Mar 2017

manisnotabird wrote:
Use one of the oscillators as an LFO?
Thanks for the tip, I'm already putting it to good use :)

My question still stands though.

eXode

29 Mar 2017

Hi,

It's a design choice. The idea is that you use the OSC as a LFO if you need control over rate.

Somewhere along the process we just have to draw a line, otherwise we'd never get finished! ;) :lol:
Last edited by eXode on 29 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Karim
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2017

alex wrote:Another thing worth to mention is the modeled distortion circuitry, its really effective and sounds amazing! [emoji106]:

+1000 I'd like to have separate distortion device too... [emoji106]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

alex

29 Mar 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
Iv been wanting them to make an effect module RE that uses some of expanses modifiers and there distortion algorithms from Viking vk2 :D that'd be as nasty As it gets not sure if the expanse modifier would be able to do what it does to an audio input of sorts but I think that'd be a great sale for those who want to use a part of expanse but don't have the 150, haha I'd use it either way, I really think blamsoft is hitting every nail on the head :D
I'm no expert but as far as I can tell I don't think it's possible.
I guess it has something to do with the way the wavetable are stored, processed and retrieved, and by that I mean that the modifiers (my guess) act at a wavetable/oscillator level, not after, so at that point you are developing an oscillator, not an effect unit. ;)

I could be wrong though, so I encourage anyone which has better understanding than me to chime in and clarify on this, please! :)
I'm curious as well.
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

scratchnsnifff

29 Mar 2017

alex wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:
I'm no expert but as far as I can tell I don't think it's possible.
I guess it has something to do with the way the wavetable are stored, processed and retrieved, and by that I mean that the modifiers (my guess) act at a wavetable/oscillator level, not after, so at that point you are developing an oscillator, not an effect unit. ;)

I could be wrong though, so I encourage anyone which has better understanding than me to chime in and clarify on this, please! :)
I'm curious as well.
Haha I'm just a reason user as well, I think that would make sense, honestly anything they make usually hits off nicely maybe they will dive into making some sort of effect unit
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Nirude

29 Mar 2017

VK2group small3k.jpg
VK2group small3k.jpg (863.14 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
Original images are 5000*2813 per image. Had to scale this down so it is all together 3000px wide (from 15k*10k)
3d man.

Exowildebeest

29 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
Hi,

It's a design choice. The idea is that you use the OSC as a LFO if you need control over rate.

Somewhere along the process we just have to draw a line, otherwise we'd never get finished! ;) :lol:
Okay :)

But still... given its modularity and 'egalitarianism' I really expected the LFO rate to be controllable, it's something that ought to come with the menu, so to speak. Imho the line needs some border adjustment ;)

And btw, I wouldn't have minded if it would have taken a little longer ;) As it's such a short time after Expanse, I'm really impressed with how quickly you and Blamsoft have worked. Not many developers can release two amazing sounding synths in such a short period of time.

Exowildebeest

29 Mar 2017

Nirude, you should get a 3D printer. Sell plastic mock RE's!

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:Nirude, you should get a 3D printer. Sell plastic mock RE's!
Yeah, and make a little Rack so so we can build our own model Reason.
Now that would be cool (but guaranteed to piss off the ladies in our lives).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information