Blamsoft and eXode present VK-2 Viking Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

23 Mar 2017

VK-2 Viking Synthesizer

VK-2 brings you the power of a modular synthesizer, without the hassle of cables. All of the individual synthesis components can be freely routed giving you ultimate power and flexibility. Throughout the device there are DSP enhancements that add analog realism to the sound, from the accurate modular waveforms, to the modeled CP-3 mixer clipping, to the Zero Delay Feedback filter section. You can also just as easily use VK-2 as a mean sounding hardwired analog synth in the default configuration. VK-2’s modular routing is done with displays at each controllable parameter in the device. All modulation in VK-2 is audio rate, freeing you to get your creative routing juices flowing. At the end of the signal chain, pristine effects polish your sound to perfection.

With industry leading DSP and audio rate modulation, VK-2 can be quite CPU hungry. There are several switches that allow you to turn down the quality of individual algorithms. VK-2 is designed for recent desktop computers.

Own VK-1? VK-2 is a unique new synth in the Viking family. Here is what VK-2 offers that is not available in VK-1.
  • 6 voice polyphony
  • Incredible modular internal routing capabilities
  • All new cutting edge DSP algorithms
  • Oscillator linear FM
  • Notch filter mode that crossfades between LP and HP.
  • Filter FM
  • 4 voice unison
  • 5 pristine on-board effects
  • Back connections for almost every signal
VK-2 Viking Synthesizer brings you modular synthesis, with all of the fun and none of the hassle. You’ll soon be creating modular patches like a pro without leaving the comforts of your own computer. And most importantly, you’ll be getting the authentic sound of a modular. Give it a try for yourself. VK-2 is now available for free trial and purchase in the Propellerhead Shop.

Introductory price through the end of April.

ReasonTalk

23 Mar 2017

The time has come Blamsoft and eXode dropped the bomb and we can assure you that your Reason rack will be destroyed by VK-2 in the best way one can imagine.

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/03/blam ... nthesizer/

TheMiles

23 Mar 2017

So few reactions, I guess everyone is speechless :)
What a great Synthesizer!!!

Catblack

23 Mar 2017

I'll have to give this a try. I am amazed at how many things are on the back panel -- it's like finally seeing a dream realized.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Emian

23 Mar 2017

I got to wait till i finish work to try this beauty out...

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

FLVZ

23 Mar 2017

When you're trying to save for eXpanse and Blamsoft drop another bombshell! :o

Libraquaricorn

23 Mar 2017

Yes, I'm speechless! And confused right now... I need to read the manual!
I mean, I tried to change the waveform for one of the oscillators and was overwhelmed by all these parameters.
It will take some time to get used to those menus.
I hope this synth will be my introduction to modular synthesis for real....

Is it just me or is this beast a serious cpu hog?

eXode

23 Mar 2017

Libraquaricorn wrote:Is it just me or is this beast a serious cpu hog?
"With industry leading DSP and audio rate modulation, VK-2 can be quite CPU hungry. There are several switches that allow you to turn down the quality of individual algorithms. VK-2 is designed for recent desktop computers."

:)

Libraquaricorn

23 Mar 2017

This will come in handy I guess:

http://blamsoft.com/tutorials/

eXode

23 Mar 2017

It helps if you think of the various displays on the main panel as various input jacks. It also helps if you think about routing as a sequential process. Oscillators go into mixer, mixer into filter, etc. :)

mrnicehat

23 Mar 2017

such a great piece of synth. 6 stars.

noelcampbelljnr

23 Mar 2017

VK-2 is a beast. Its fascinating what can be achieved by routeing at the back. Flip the rack around start experimenting. I have been getting some weird and wonderful patches. I really like where Blamsoft and Exodes heads are at with this release. Very interesting RE.

One gripe is its a CPU Hog on Pad sounds and keeps crashing with a warning. I flicked the switch at the back to drop the CPU as well. Lets hope Props can update the SDK to help the developers with this.

One final question. I don't know its by design or a mistake. If I have cabling at the back of VK-2 and then I change the patch. The cabling remains??? is this by design or an error???

joeyluck

23 Mar 2017

noelcampbelljnr wrote:One final question. I don't know its by design or a mistake. If I have cabling at the back of VK-2 and then I change the patch. The cabling remains??? is this by design or an error???
Cabling is independent of patches. To save cabling, even if it's within the same device, you have to save it inside a Combinator (or Reason file). I think it would be cool if you could save 'internal' cabling with device patches.

noelcampbelljnr

23 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
noelcampbelljnr wrote:One final question. I don't know its by design or a mistake. If I have cabling at the back of VK-2 and then I change the patch. The cabling remains??? is this by design or an error???
Cabling is independent of patches. To save cabling, even if it's within the same device, you have to save it inside a Combinator (or Reason file). I think it would be cool if you could save 'internal' cabling with device patches.
I agree. Lets hope at a future update. VK-2 is a fascinating RE really enjoying it.

raymondh

23 Mar 2017

What does "audio rate" mean, with the reference to all modulation being audio rate?

mrnicehat

23 Mar 2017

raymondh wrote:What does "audio rate" mean, with the reference to all modulation being audio rate?
you can use low resolution cv-jacks(reason;) or the high quality audio-jacks. This is really cool. isn't it. Blamsoft is amazing.

esselfortium

23 Mar 2017

raymondh wrote:What does "audio rate" mean, with the reference to all modulation being audio rate?
CV in Reason is transmitted at a lower sample rate than audio, so using audio-rate modulation gives you more power to route anything to anything on VK-2's back panel without quality degradation.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

PeZiK

23 Mar 2017

Amazing!

I get an instant creation cravings when playing this instrument and that's what it is all about!

Love the prize - instabuy!

Thanks Blamsoft and eXode for this lovely mofo of a synth...my family will miss me - I hope ;)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2017

"Requires Reason 9.2"

Nooo!

Oh well, I'm not planning to upgrade yet so VK-2 will just have to wait I guess.
I'm still more than happy with Legend, Expanse and FM4, my three favorites at the moment.

But I would almost upgrade just to be able to join the Song Challenge :)

lowpryo

23 Mar 2017

ahh damn, yeah, another thing to put on the wishlist when I upgrade to R9 (or 10). hope that intro price makes a return too!

WongoTheSane

23 Mar 2017

Amazing on so many levels, from modularity to price, connections on the back, top patchmakers, PolyCV... A masterpiece. But why oh why call it VK-2 if you have to plaster a huge "this is not an update to VK-1, this is an entirely different product altogether" disclaimer every time it says VK-2??? :lol: Doesn't matter, gonna buy it no matter the name.

Expanse, we love you but you have to understand that your little brother will require our attention for the next few months...

bsp

23 Mar 2017

First impressions (after playing with the synth for an hour and creating ~6 patches):
  • nice "round" tone, I really like it! (sounds very musical)
  • very CPU intensive (up to 4 bars for a 4 voice patch on "normal" filter settings with two voice unison on an i7-4770@3.4Ghz)
  • would be cool if the "shape" knobs would do sth for _all_ waveforms (work in progress ?)
  • a modmatrix would be cool (for performance controls, e.g. to map velocity to various, per-note audio-rate modulation intensities) (a new panel...?)
  • a unison level knob would have been nice (some patches I just made had phase-cancelation issues). is it still possible to add this ?
this is one of the few - maybe even the first- RE I bought w/o trying it first and so far I'm definitely not disappointed.

Good job, eXode and blamsoft!

tiker01

23 Mar 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:"Requires Reason 9.2"

Nooo!

Oh well, I'm not planning to upgrade yet so VK-2 will just have to wait I guess.
I'm still more than happy with Legend, Expanse and FM4, my three favorites at the moment.

But I would almost upgrade just to be able to join the Song Challenge :)
The eXpanse 2.0 upgrade and this would make me upgrade but the players and the rest of Reason 9 really worth it. Try to find a deal on amazon or sweetwater.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

16BitBear

23 Mar 2017

This is an instant purchase for me. I have dreamt of an analog beast like this in Reason. Thanks guys! I am going to have some fun this weekend with VK-2. :puf_bigsmile: :thumbs_up:

scratchnsnifff

23 Mar 2017

ahhhhh i shouldn't have bought this, but so glad i did :) go blamsoft go!!!!!! (and exode) hey by the way i hope you guys take my advice on a synth with some multi band processing tools i feel like that would be a great dub stepper haha can't wait to give this viking a go!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information