Blamsoft and eXode present VK-2 Viking Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
bsp

26 Mar 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:
bsp wrote:It costs a lot of money, yes. Reason is the single most expensive equipment I have (and I do own quite a lot of HW synths).

But: It's rock-steady (stable as a rock), and the 9.x features are worth the admission fee, in my honest opinion.

You only live once (and now!), think about it ;)
You really got me thinking. I'm considering updating soon now haha. And the story of your grandfather.. i'm 34 and already full of regrets, and they're due to my constant hesitation over almost everything in life. Granted, updating isnt a life or death issue, yet i've been dealing with it as one.
God bless my pop-pop.

One of the major workflow enhancements in R9 is that the popup menus in REs can now be hierarchical. Fully supported by this dev and _this_ is a major stepping stone in terms of ease of use. Should have been always like that, but "hey".

Regarding hesitation: Been there, done that. My advice (in retrospective): Don't hesitate, live -now- !

Some music you might enjoy:
Last edited by bsp on 26 Mar 2017, edited 2 times in total.

geronimo

26 Mar 2017

One can complain according to the power of its computer but Blamsoft also thought to the "smaller" .

Libraquaricorn

26 Mar 2017

Just a small question: The modular system the VK-2 is modelled after is monophonic, right? Apologies if this has been answered already.

bsp

26 Mar 2017

@geronimo: let's not kid ourselves. you need an i7 for this to be fun.

@Libraquaricorn: Yes but this RE can be monophonic OR a polyphonic synth (up to 6 voices + unison).

Libraquaricorn

26 Mar 2017

bsp wrote:@geronimo: let's not kid ourselves. you need an i7 for this to be fun.

@Libraquaricorn: Yes but this RE can be monophonic OR a polyphonic synth (up to 6 voices + unison).
Thanks, bsp. I kinda like restrictions, historically accurate ones in particular, so I'll rather turn off the polyphony than compromise on the other quality settings if that makes it closer to what this beast tries to emulate in the first place. I have loads of polyphonic synths anyway.

bsp

26 Mar 2017

I don't think it tries to emulate anything in particular. It's just a very nice synth.

Loque

26 Mar 2017

bsp wrote:I don't think it tries to emulate anything in particular. It's just a very nice synth.
Doesnt it has a model switch on the back?
Reason12, Win10

bsp

26 Mar 2017

Loque wrote:
bsp wrote:I don't think it tries to emulate anything in particular. It's just a very nice synth.
Doesnt it has a model switch on the back?
It does but I can't blame them for drawing inspiration from some of the most iconic synths in electronic music history.

dioxide

26 Mar 2017

Demoing this now. This thing sounds incredible!

dvigatel

27 Mar 2017

Very good synth. Will use in house and techno tracks.

alex

27 Mar 2017

I don't have access to my PC untill late evening, but, given the powerful modular architecture, I'm wondering if I could create a feedback loop for the filter stage, eg: Filter -> Matrix and then Matrix -> Filter.

Anyway this synth should have been called Pleasure + Heaven.
Pleasure because it sounds stunnigly good and Heaven because of its modular design that from a "sound design" perspective is a dream that comes true. :)

Another milestone reached for the RE platform. Kudos to Blamsoft, eXode and all other people involved. :thumbs_up:
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Loque

27 Mar 2017

alex wrote:I don't have access to my PC untill late evening, but, given the powerful modular architecture, I'm wondering if I could create a feedback loop for the filter stage, eg: Filter -> Matrix and then Matrix -> Filter.
Yes, you can. There is a direct filter output without the envelope, that you can route back into a audio in which you select in the mixer. But not sure, if this can crete nice results.
Reason12, Win10

eXode

27 Mar 2017

Synthwave/New Retro style demo for Blamsoft VK2. All synth sounds (not drums) were made with VK2. :)

Last edited by eXode on 28 Mar 2017, edited 2 times in total.

alex

27 Mar 2017

Loque wrote: Yes, you can. There is a direct filter output without the envelope, that you can route back into a audio in which you select in the mixer. But not sure, if this can crete nice results.
Thanks! I'll try it and I'll let you know if something nice would happens! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

kungubu

27 Mar 2017

I can't find a way to scale modulation amounts outside a combinator – for example if I want to control fm amount with an envelope or a lfo. Is there something I've missed or is this the way it's supposed to be?

eXode

27 Mar 2017

kungubu wrote:I can't find a way to scale modulation amounts outside a combinator – for example if I want to control fm amount with an envelope or a lfo. Is there something I've missed or is this the way it's supposed to be?
You use a mod bus for that.

I.e. Source: OSC1 Sine | Scale: EG1. Then you route that mod bus to the destination, i.e. Mod Bus 2 in the OSC2 Linear FM Input. :)

eXode

27 Mar 2017

Here are some useful tutorials that explain some of the basic routing concepts of VK2.

Blamsoft VK-2 - Understanding the default patch
Blamsoft VK-2 - Learning the mod busses
Blamsoft VK-2 - FM, AM & RM

eXode

27 Mar 2017

I'm sure most people are still getting to know VK-2 in itself but I want to highlight the fact that VK-2 is designed to be fully modular.

Some of you might have seen this and asked yourself "Why are all the sources available in the mixer, and not just the oscillators?"
The reason for this is because we designed VK-2 from the perspective that it can be both a stand alone synthesizer, but also as a part in a large modular configuration. In the modular world, mixers are not used exclusively for audio, but for CV as well. Mixers can be useful in scenarios when you only have a single mod input, but want that input to be modulated from two different sources.

Likewise, a filter doesn't have to be used for audio only. A filter can be used to smooth out a control signal, almost acting like a lag of sorts.

Just by combining two instances of VK-2 in a Combinator a whole new world opens up since you can choose to direct the three oscillator of the 2nd instance to the first, and using the remaining mixer and filter for CV processing duties. The VCA can be used as another scale!

ltbrunt00

27 Mar 2017

I downloaded the trial version, It seems like a killer synth. The only probably it keeps crashing reason. Is there an update for this. I have songs with a ridiculous amount of refills and REs in them and they don't crash. Other than that the few seconds It does work it seems like a behemoth.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

eXode

27 Mar 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:I downloaded the trial version, It seems like a killer synth. The only probably it keeps crashing reason. Is there an update for this. I have songs with a ridiculous amount of refills and REs in them and they don't crash. Other than that the few seconds It does work it seems like a behemoth.
Does Reason actually crash, or do you mean that you get the computer too slow error message?

If it does crash Reason I would contact both blamsoft (info@blamsoft.com) and also propellerhead to let them know.

scratchnsnifff

27 Mar 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:I downloaded the trial version, It seems like a killer synth. The only probably it keeps crashing reason. Is there an update for this. I have songs with a ridiculous amount of refills and REs in them and they don't crash. Other than that the few seconds It does work it seems like a behemoth.

I had the same issue but since I noticed the low CPU patches iv been fine and dandy, it's just a matter of finding and changing the switches that say something along the lines low middle high quality, if you just look at the low CPU patches try to copy some of the settings and save it as an initialized patch so you always open vk2 with the lower CPU settings that's when the fun will begin for you :) hope that helped
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ltbrunt00

27 Mar 2017

My mistake, Reason does not crash I get the computer too slow error message?

ltbrunt00

27 Mar 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:

I had the same issue but since I noticed the low CPU patches iv been fine and dandy, it's just a matter of finding and changing the switches that say something along the lines low middle high quality, if you just look at the low CPU patches try to copy some of the settings and save it as an initialized patch so you always open vk2 with the lower CPU settings that's when the fun will begin for you :) hope that helped

I will give this a try tonight.

ltbrunt00

27 Mar 2017

Thanks for the help forum. I do like this synth, will be buying it tonight.

manisnotabird

27 Mar 2017

Is there a setting on the frequency input CV trim on the oscillators that allows it to accurately track note CV? I was wanting to create a paraphonic patch where each of the oscillators is playing a different note.

• Information