Blamsoft and eXode present VK-2 Viking Synthesizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tiker01

24 Mar 2017

Jowe79 wrote:I'm afraid of buy vk2..... i use reason 9 in laptop i7 4500 3,12 ghz and 16gb ram.... is my machine insufficient for USE viking 2??? Forget purchase this RE? Or i will can use many sounds and functions???... my machine is buyed in 2016.... i haven't too money for buy a new machine for every rack extension of blamsoft..... i'm very confused... any can get Some AIR for this issue for cpu usage?
Thanks

You can try for 30 days free!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Majestik Monkey

24 Mar 2017

Now this is something I can really sit with for Hour's upon hours getting completely lost in MOOG-MODE ! WETFTM :)

Fantastic Job Blamsoft & Exode: Ps Cheer's for the Reduction:

VK-2 is right outa the Ball park!

In a major way, it's already forcing me too press much further than I would with the modular plot
................ ' { The Matrix is everywhere & almost anywhere } :o .....................

I literally tossed the coin between Vk-2 & Legend ! VK-2 Lost , too tail's, & then "suddenly" my finger slipped on the Buy button for VK-2 :lol:

miscend

24 Mar 2017

This is heavy on CPU compared to everything else. Any chance of CPU optimisations in future?

Libraquaricorn

24 Mar 2017

They should have named it Viking VK-2000 :D

Seriously, you know you've got a great synth when one of the main complaints is its name....

Jowe79

24 Mar 2017

Laptop i7 4510u 3,10ghz with 16 gb ram is sufficient for use vk2?

mrnicehat

24 Mar 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:
Marc64 wrote:Great sounding syth BUT it is cpu HEAVY!!! Even on low cpu setting on the back(no difference) I even put the buffer size on my asio card at max. I can do one chord and when I change chord I just get computer too slow and I have a 64bit quad core 2.4ghz 6.5gb ram and a ssd disk.
This synth is a no go, for me atlest... :/

lol, I have a 2012 Mac pro 3.33 12core with 64gigs of ram.Some of the patches in expanse brings my comp to its knees.
Sure this reason diva is pretty hungry. And that your 12cores comes in trouble is normal. That's the amdahl's law.

Need a 50 GHz single core CPU too, but this will not happen in next thousand years. There will a be a limit in realtime processing in the future(the matrix is a lie;)

Tipp:Set all to medium and you can handle more voices on parallel tracks. Or use combinator split key range for the lower and higher octaves. sum it in 6:2. Reason can split it in more processes if you use more instances.

This synth is new and blamsoft will tune this dspcode the next months(I hope), because blamsoft programmers are genius. I think we should buy to support blamsoft and eXode.

Loque

24 Mar 2017

I dont understand the CPU arguments... There are plenty cheap sounding CPU friendly synths available. A lot of complaints about cheap sounds in Reason. Now there is a wolf in the mouse cage, and they complain. Good sound quality and features have their price. I would like to know if the forums for Serum or similar synths are also full of complaints?
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

24 Mar 2017

I am all in favour of people making soft synths that are designed to use all the processing power available in a modern computer. I'd rather have the option to buy them than not, even if it's beyond my laptop's skillz. Cos envelope-pushing is always good.

Auryn

24 Mar 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:I'm going to ask the obvious here. If I own The Legend synthesizer, why should I buy this? Sell me
Ok.

The Legend is just a legend. Vikings were real. Hence you should buy this synth :puf_bigsmile:
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Majestik Monkey

24 Mar 2017

On my System / Win 7 Pro-Quad core ' 8 gig ram/ OptiPlex 760 / OBSC & way over 5 years old!? , it runs really quite well

yeh sometimes it can punch-up the Cpu ' but what is coming out sound-wise is far to Rich to be missed, IMHO 2 :cool:

Majestik Monkey

24 Mar 2017

Auryn wrote:
KIKBAK1 wrote:I'm going to ask the obvious here. If I own The Legend synthesizer, why should I buy this? Sell me
Ok.

The Legend is just a legend. Vikings were real. Hence you should buy this synth :puf_bigsmile:

I don't know about that, Legend!? ' There's something a' foot A Leg-end ........ Bum Bum :lol:

frog974new

24 Mar 2017

Loque wrote:I dont understand the CPU arguments... There are plenty cheap sounding CPU friendly synths available. A lot of complaints about cheap sounds in Reason. Now there is a wolf in the mouse cage, and they complain. Good sound quality and features have their price. I would like to know if the forums for Serum or similar synths are also full of complaints?
the main goal of any Re is to use on our project :)
what's the benefits if create 2 or 3 device than can stuck our CPU ..?

if people're a bit afraid to use this Re with an i7 , may be there's something wrong ..Oo..

miscend

24 Mar 2017

Loque wrote:I dont understand the CPU arguments... There are plenty cheap sounding CPU friendly synths available. A lot of complaints about cheap sounds in Reason. Now there is a wolf in the mouse cage, and they complain. Good sound quality and features have their price. I would like to know if the forums for Serum or similar synths are also full of complaints?
IMHO this uses more CPU than other high CPU usage plugins. One instance alone takes several bars of DSP.

Other music forums also talk about CPU a lot. If this was a VST on KVR they'd be several pages of whinging about how taxing it is on i7s.

XysteR

24 Mar 2017

Finally a synth that makes my 8 core i7 @ 4.4Ghz sweat - well, the combinator patches do. So I bought it! Awesome synth with awesome patches too!

It seems eXode had a decent stab at the Polymoog Vox Humana patch too (Pads / Human Vox -EX) Just needs a vintage script Phase 90 and You're driving... Gonna try it through Synapse Ninety tomorrow ;)

Well done on another awesome synth! Keep em coming...

KIKBAK1

24 Mar 2017

I may buy this just because it looks cool, and has some cool sounds it, but why is a bass patch taking up 3 bars of dsp?
KIKBAK1.com

XysteR

24 Mar 2017

KIKBAK1 wrote:I may buy this just because it looks cool, and has some cool sounds it, but why is a bass patch taking up 3 bars of dsp?
If you think they're pushing your computer - Try some of the pads in the Combinator section. But seriously though, this kind of power/sound doesn't come cheap on CPU.

KIKBAK1

25 Mar 2017

XysteR wrote:
KIKBAK1 wrote:I may buy this just because it looks cool, and has some cool sounds it, but why is a bass patch taking up 3 bars of dsp?
If you think they're pushing your computer - Try some of the pads in the Combinator section. But seriously though, this kind of power/sound doesn't come cheap on CPU.
Do we know if it's really pushing the cpu? I mean we know it's pushing the DSP? I know for a fact that when using expanse (and maxing out DSP) I took a look at the system monitor and saw like 90% CPU was idle. So, I don't know :?:
KIKBAK1.com

Loque

25 Mar 2017

frog974new wrote:
the main goal of any Re is to use on our project :)
what's the benefits if create 2 or 3 device than can stuck our CPU ..?

if people're a bit afraid to use this Re with an i7 , may be there's something wrong ..Oo..
I'd rather would make my musik without bouncing... But i would not expect, that the latest 4k resolution vr high end game would run on a matrox or vodoo3. I had to buy something newer. And if i want vr, i have to buy vr
glasses. If i want 7:1 dolby, i need a sound board and speakers that support this. If it requires 8 cores, well...
Reason12, Win10

tobypearce

25 Mar 2017

This may come to be the Diva of the Reason rack. That synth is notoriously demanding on CPU. It also sounds fantastic.

I've gotten used to bouncing some of my tracks. There are some positives to this approach - it requires committing to a sound then moving on. I am beginning to find this quite an efficient way to work. It may even be helping me to finish more of the tracks I start.

My personal technique is that I have a special Reason song called "Frozen". If I've a track that I want to bounce, but want the option of tweaking later, or using again in another track, I copy the track into the Frozen song, and relabel it [track name - sound] so I can remember where it came from.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Jonathan10

25 Mar 2017

Anybody have any opinion on whether this synth beats the Legend? So far Legend seems to sound better and more user friendly but i could just be missing the strengths of vk 2
:refill:

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Mar 2017

tobypearce wrote:This may come to be the Diva of the Reason rack. That synth is notoriously demanding on CPU. It also sounds fantastic.

I've gotten used to bouncing some of my tracks. There are some positives to this approach - it requires committing to a sound then moving on. I am beginning to find this quite an efficient way to work. It may even be helping me to finish more of the tracks I start.

My personal technique is that I have a special Reason song called "Frozen". If I've a track that I want to bounce, but want the option of tweaking later, or using again in another track, I copy the track into the Frozen song, and relabel it [track name - sound] so I can remember where it came from.

Nice tip! Still, Reason needs a more transparent freeze feature than the clumsy bounce to audio track. Workarounds like this are cool, but shouldn't be necessary.

raymondh

25 Mar 2017

Jonathan10 wrote:Anybody have any opinion on whether this synth beats the Legend? So far Legend seems to sound better and more user friendly but i could just be missing the strengths of vk 2
I think they are two different synths, with two different sounds. Both amazing. Trial them both :)

eXode

25 Mar 2017

Josdams wrote:Image
1. Did you set the OSC quality to max?
2. Did you disable drift and jitter (jitter in particular) seeing as it's enabled by default.

On the other hand, VK2 is neither Serum or Expanse (and it shouldn't really try to be). Most real analogs have impurities like noise and distortion in it's signal path and they also have a noise floor of about -90 dB to -80 dB. :)
Last edited by eXode on 25 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Josdams

25 Mar 2017

I tried this, Is that correct ? I can't tell as it's my first time on it

Imagegif uploader

• Information