Exclusive first look at Blamsoft and eXode's VK-2 synth Rack Extension

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
pjeudy

19 Mar 2017

It's Polyphonic Finally !!!!!!
Question..is this a full version to be bought SEPERATELY or will there be an upgrade for VK-1 USERS?
Source: @Reasonistas
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

eXode

19 Mar 2017

The most important info right now is that VK-2 is an entirely new synth and that VK-1 will remain in the shop.

VK-2 is very modular and it has many features not found in VK-1.
  • All new DSP
  • Polyphonic
  • Modular Internal Routing
  • Audio Rate Modulation
  • Oscillator Linear FM
  • Notch Filter (LP - HP crossfade)
  • Filter FM
  • Unison
  • Effects
  • Back Connections Galore
More details will follow upon official release! :)

dvdrtldg

19 Mar 2017

Looks legendary

noelcampbelljnr

19 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:The most important info right now is that VK-2 is an entirely new synth and that VK-1 will remain in the shop.

• All new DSP
  • Polyphonic
  • Audio Rate Modulation
  • Oscillator Linear FM
  • Filter FM
  • Unison
  • Effects
Most important info right now for VK-1 owners is can we upgrade for an upgrade price? yes or no :)

Mmj85

19 Mar 2017

Oh My. VK-2 Looks delicious i might say!
But wait, is that an icon (Bottom Right on top of the VK-2 Logo) to fold the bottom portion of the device like THOR's? Is it compatible with RE's now? :shock:

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2017

noelcampbelljnr wrote:
eXode wrote:The most important info right now is that VK-2 is an entirely new synth and that VK-1 will remain in the shop.

• All new DSP
  • Polyphonic
  • Audio Rate Modulation
  • Oscillator Linear FM
  • Filter FM
  • Unison
  • Effects
Most important info right now for VK-1 owners is can we upgrade for an upgrade price? yes or no :)
It's an entire new synth. So, there is nothing to upgrade ;)

Reasonistas
RE Developer

19 Mar 2017

aeox wrote:
noelcampbelljnr wrote:

• All new DSP
  • Polyphonic
  • Audio Rate Modulation
  • Oscillator Linear FM
  • Filter FM
  • Unison
  • Effects
It's an entire new synth. So, there is nothing to upgrade ;)
This is correct. Think of VK/Viking as a product line so there could be future Viking products. There is also the VO-1 Viking Oscillator (https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... scillator/)
ImageImageImage

manisnotabird

19 Mar 2017

Does the VK-1 not do audio rate modulations?

AzureEyes

19 Mar 2017

VK 2 is an entirely new synthesizer! Like Noel said Viking is a product line!

So far there's!
VK-1
VO-1

Coming soon
VK-2
Last edited by AzureEyes on 19 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

EdGrip

19 Mar 2017

So the question inevitably presents itself: Legend or Viking 2? Where do they sit relative to each other, how do they differ and how do they compete?

Karim
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2017

EdGrip wrote:So the question inevitably presents itself: Legend or Viking 2? Where do they sit relative to each other, how do they differ and how do they compete?
Both? [emoji2]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Koshdukai

19 Mar 2017

noelcampbelljnr wrote:Most important info right now for VK-1 owners is can we upgrade for an upgrade price? yes or no :)
Most important info right now for VK-1 owners is: It's VK-2, not VK-1 V2.0 ;)

Like many already said, it's VK-2 as in "the 2nd synth in the Viking product line of Blamsoft synths"
not "VK-1 done a 2nd time" or "a better version of VK-1" or "VK-1 2.0" :)

Mmj85 wrote:But wait, is that an icon (Bottom Right on top of the VK-2 Logo) to fold the bottom portion of the device like THOR's? Is it compatible with RE's now? :shock:
or maybe, also like Thor's OSCs and Filters or Kong FX, to switch it to another module/page, maybe?
(now that the RE SDK 2.5 allows that).

FLVZ

19 Mar 2017

Which classic hardware is being emulated here, or was the inspiration... if that was a catalyst within this project. :D
Even though we've not heard the instrument, its hard not to get excited based on the developer's rep!

fieldframe
RE Developer

19 Mar 2017

Mmj85 wrote:Oh My. VK-2 Looks delicious i might say!
But wait, is that an icon (Bottom Right on top of the VK-2 Logo) to fold the bottom portion of the device like THOR's? Is it compatible with RE's now? :shock:
I think your Thor reference is on target, but a different aspect of it. To my knowledge, SDK 2.5 still doesn't support folding, but it does support changeable panels like the filters and oscillators in Thor. So my guess is that the button there switches between the different effects that VK-2 includes.

Side note: It does also appear that unlike Thor, you're not actually changing the module, just changing the visible one, since the effect toggles look just like the stack included in Expanse. So you get all the options at once, even when they're not visible.

Majestik Monkey

19 Mar 2017

:clap: Top Dog :puf_bigsmile:
Attachments
LTCI-Jaw_Dropping_Dog1.jpg
LTCI-Jaw_Dropping_Dog1.jpg (118.36 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

ejanuska

20 Mar 2017

How much $?

dioxide

20 Mar 2017

Looks fantastic but personally I prefer fixed routing for standard modulation such as LFO and Filter Envelope amount as it maps properly to a Remote MIDI controller. Thor is great but the lack of this feature is a shame. I'll still demo this though.

selig
RE Developer

20 Mar 2017

dioxide wrote:Looks fantastic but personally I prefer fixed routing for standard modulation such as LFO and Filter Envelope amount as it maps properly to a Remote MIDI controller. Thor is great but the lack of this feature is a shame. I'll still demo this though.
I would agree - and am I not seeing any way to scale modulation sources?

I'm also with you in that I'll still demo this because of the pedigree. You can't judge a device on features alone!
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

eXode

20 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
dioxide wrote:Looks fantastic but personally I prefer fixed routing for standard modulation such as LFO and Filter Envelope amount as it maps properly to a Remote MIDI controller. Thor is great but the lack of this feature is a shame. I'll still demo this though.

I'm also with you in that I'll still demo this because of the pedigree. You can't judge a device on features alone!
Most importantly, you can't judge it without the whole picture and proper hands on with it. All in good time... :)

selig
RE Developer

20 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
selig wrote:

Most importantly, you can't judge it without the whole picture and proper hands on with it. All in good time... :)
Ahhhh - add thickener to plot, reduce heat, stir occasionally…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

riemac

20 Mar 2017

Maybe you can switch the effects section to a modulation matrix?

raymondh

20 Mar 2017

I was interested up to the point it is pitched as a whole new synth rather than upgrade to VK-1.

I already own The Legend and VK-1. My only gripe with VK-1 is it is monophonic. We will see I guess when the pricing is announced...

Loque

20 Mar 2017

raymondh wrote:I was interested up to the point it is pitched as a whole new synth rather than upgrade to VK-1.

I already own The Legend and VK-1. My only gripe with VK-1 is it is monophonic. We will see I guess when the pricing is announced...
Distributor is they key in all cases you need more voices,eg some synths have only 4 voices or if you have FX that is tracked by notes. A bit fiddling of cables though... Things are easier if PolyCV is supported by devices in some cases.
Reason12, Win10

riemac

20 Mar 2017

riemac wrote:Maybe you can switch the effects section to a modulation matrix?
Reasonistas just published three soundcloud soundexamples of VK-2. They sound really great. And you can see on the picture, that the effect section can be in fact be switched.
There seems to be a dedicated LFO.

• Information