Rack Extention Location

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mind2069

17 Mar 2017

Hi

I just purchased a laptop with classic 128GB SSD C: and 1TB D: drive.

First venture into this.

So I know I have to install programs on D drive to keep space on C:, but after install on the D:, the soundbank went into C, can I move these on the D:.

I have downloded a rack extention to see where it goes, but I cant find it, and I cant seem to choose where to put them. is these a way to know if they are on the D: drive and if not, can I move them there.

Mike

zumBeispiel

18 Mar 2017

Windows 10 RackExtensions location:
C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/RackExtensions

tiker01

18 Mar 2017

You can use junctions to reroute data. Google hardlink!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

mind2069

18 Mar 2017

Thansk, found them

How do you guys manage limited ssd space for rack extentions and soundbanks

OldGoat

18 Mar 2017

mind2069 wrote:How do you guys manage limited ssd space for rack extentions and soundbanks
I would move them to a drive with more space using junctions...in case you haven't done it yet:

Use the following for implementing a Junction-Point:

1. Copy "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/RackExtensions" to the desired location, e.g. "F:\RackExtensions".
2. Rename
"C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/RackExtensions" to "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/_RackExtensions".
3. Open a Commandline as Administrator (Start->Type "CMD"->Right Click->"Run as Administrator").
4. Enter the following command, then press Enter: cd "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/"
5. Enter the following command, then press Enter: mklink /j RackExtensions F:\RackExtensions
6. Start Reason, if everything is running well, you may remove the backup (Step 2 "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/_RackExtensions")

Please replace "F:\RackExtensions" with the desired location!

mind2069

18 Mar 2017

Thanks OldGoat, worked like a charm

DJDark2010

22 Mar 2017

Nice to know that. But at the moment I have enough space for RE´s :)
But very good tip!

doctecazoid

24 Mar 2017

Yes, seconded - great little tech-nique there. Thanks Mr. Goat!

mreese80

30 Mar 2017

thanks for the tip. can't i just copy this folder to my external and create a shortcut for it?
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:thanks for the tip. can't i just copy this folder to my external and create a shortcut for it?
You could do but it won't work, you have to create a junction for it.

Step 4 and 5 can be merged as one step

instead of
4. Enter the following command, then press Enter: cd "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/"
5. Enter the following command, then press Enter: mklink /j RackExtensions F:\RackExtensions

4. Enter the following command, then press Enter:
mklink /j "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/RackExtensions" "F:\RackExtensions"

mreese80

30 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
mreese80 wrote:thanks for the tip. can't i just copy this folder to my external and create a shortcut for it?
You could do but it won't work, you have to create a junction for it.

Step 4 and 5 can be merged as one step

instead of

mklink /j "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software/RackExtensions" "F:\RackExtensions"

ok. and thanks
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Irelle

31 Mar 2017

hi guys,

For those who did not really understand how to move REs...how do I do that? I have Win7. Thanks!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2017

Irelle wrote:hi guys,

For those who did not really understand how to move REs...how do I do that? I have Win7. Thanks!
Make sure that Reason is NOT open.

1) Start explorer and copy this to the address bar %appdata%\Propellerhead Software

This will take you to the Propellerhead Software subdirectory..

2) Right click on the sub directory "RackExtensions" and select "Cut" navigate to where you want to copy the data to i.e. d:\, right click and select paste.

Then follow OldGoats instructions.

3) Open a Commandline as Administrator (Start->Type "CMD"->Right Click->"Run as Administrator").

mklink /j "%appdata%\RackExtensions" "D:\RackExtensions"

Note: replace YOURUSERNAME with your login name to Windows, and replace D:\ with the location to where you pasted the RE in step 2.

BananaSkins

28 Feb 2021

Thanks for this - I am installing Reason 10.4 on a new machine.

Q1 Can you not choose a different directory to begin with when downloading your account RE'S
Q2 If I trial / purchase a new RE where will that be downloaded to initially?

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

01 Mar 2021

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/

Good info here, we've got a function built into our right-click on Windows Explorer so it's way easier (check the section "How to Create Symbolic Links with a Graphical Tool")

• Information