Free Rack extensions: Real time list

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Kenni
Site Admin

15 Mar 2017

Rack extensions currently listed as free

Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

mreese80

15 Mar 2017

this is nice. like how you did this.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2017

COOL – Thanks for this Kenni!
Note: Not working on Tapatalk for some reason.
Selig Audio, LLC

JJGreen

15 Mar 2017

What purpose does this serve as at this moment in time, when Reasonistas has released a Combi patch only five days ago that cleverly allows the Reason user to immediately see the missing RE's he/she is missing, at a glance ? Ie: look for the cardboard placemarkers.... if a user sees cardboard, then that's the missing RE's

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7499503&p=313590#p313539

I'm assuming that you're populating the table 'live', and plonking it in to the 'sortable' formant via iframes or something like that, and by doing so will always populate and update... but right now your list has 42, and Noel's Combi has 42............

This is all simply an observation. I don't want to have every single free RE in my menu options. There really is some CRAP in the free RE list.

As much as I admire Jiggery Pokery, and have BOUGHT about five of his plugins (the Hammond, the Oxygen synth, the chorus, the bucket delay, and something else), the three TM series 'placeholder' RE's are over the top. Add to that Selig Audio LLC's RE that more or less does the same, and then that pointless light dance thing, then a bunch of CV routing. When you do the value proposition review, most of the free RE's are dubious offerings that would be unlikely to hold a market value.

Even those that were a paid for RE (i'm thinking the saturation knob), that became free... really, it's just a knob. The DAW world did not stop, or miss a heartbeat, when the Saturation Knob came out.

How about a list of the 42 free RE's, with an accompanying 'perceived value' figure associated with each? The vast majority would be expressed as <$1USD

Kenni
Site Admin

15 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:What purpose does this serve as at this moment in time, when Reasonistas has released a Combi patch only five days ago that cleverly allows the Reason user to immediately see the missing RE's he/she is missing, at a glance ? Ie: look for the cardboard placemarkers.... if a user sees cardboard, then that's the missing RE's

I'm assuming that you're populating the table 'live', and plonking it in to the 'sortable' formant via iframes or something like that, and by doing so will always populate and update... but right now your list has 42, and Noel's Combi has 42............

This is all simply an observation. I don't want to have every single free RE in my menu options. There really is some CRAP in the free RE list.

As much as I admire Jiggery Pokery, and have BOUGHT about five of his plugins (the Hammond, the Oxygen synth, the chorus, the bucket delay, and something else), the three TM series 'placeholder' RE's are over the top. Add to that Selig Audio LLC's RE that more or less does the same, and then that pointless light dance thing, then a bunch of CV routing. When you do the value proposition review, most of the free RE's are dubious offerings that would be unlikely to hold a market value.

Even those that were a paid for RE (i'm thinking the saturation knob), that became free... really, it's just a knob. The DAW world did not stop, or miss a heartbeat, when the Saturation Knob came out.

How about a list of the 42 free RE's, with an accompanying 'perceived value' figure associated with each? The vast majority would be expressed as <$1USD
While some of your claims might be a matter of opinion, you're probably right.

In regards to our list, it's not a competition. Noel released a really useful combinator, we made a real time search engine for the propellerheads shop. We've had that for the past 2-3 months (https://echo.reasontalk.com).

This thread is just an alternative, and an updated one. We have the same for on-sale rack extensions. As to adding a perceived value, again, it's a matter of opinion.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

mreese80

15 Mar 2017

Kenni wrote:
JJGreen wrote:What purpose does this serve as at this moment in time, when Reasonistas has released a Combi patch only five days ago that cleverly allows the Reason user to immediately see the missing RE's he/she is missing, at a glance ? Ie: look for the cardboard placemarkers.... if a user sees cardboard, then that's the missing RE's

While some of your claims might be a matter of opinion, you're probably right.

In regards to our list, it's not a competition. Noel released a really useful combinator, we made a real time search engine for the propellerheads shop. We've had that for the past 2-3 months (https://echo.reasontalk.com).

This thread is just an alternative, and an updated one. We have the same for on-sale rack extensions. As to adding a perceived value, again, it's a matter of opinion.
I like the icons it shows. And there is some crap in that combinator lol.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

JJGreen

15 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:
Yes, a lot of it is crap. That's why they are free.

Why do we need five different place marker RE's? Some guy nailed it early on, I think it was Peff or Papen. Maybe that one is nine smackeroos, but it does the job. All five of them do pretty much sweet bugger all but stick a blank plate in the virtual rack.

And what is this crap?

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... t-premier/

It does NOTHING but display some lights. Why clog our 'right click' menu options for instruments, FX & utilities with pointless garbage ? It only makes for a cumbersome workflow.

JJGreen

15 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote: Ummm... It communicates with aliens!
Oh is this a hotline to Sting ? Maybe I will install it after all.

Peter

15 Mar 2017

I've had my beer for the day but can somebody please clarify if somebody is complaining about a free service for free products?

How dare you call the magnificent Saturation Knob "just a knob"!!!! :o

Loque

15 Mar 2017

Peter wrote:I've had my beer for the day but can somebody please clarify if somebody is complaining about a free service for free products?

How dare you call the magnificent Saturation Knob "just a knob"!!!! :o
Yea, i laughed about the" just a knob" too :puf_smile:
Reason12, Win10

Hazel

15 Mar 2017

Those Jiggery Pokery tm-commentator thingies are probably literally the things I use the most out of anything. There are also some other free ones that are fantastic as well. It's all opinion really.

moneykube

15 Mar 2017

um nice... nothing free??? lol... I see this... on macbook pro and firefox
Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 2.20.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 2.20.31 PM.png (37.06 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Kenni
Site Admin

15 Mar 2017

moneykube wrote:um nice... nothing free??? lol... I see this... on macbook pro and firefox
Weird.

Anyone else has this problem? It might be your browsers security settings blocking iFrames or an ad blocker.

PS: Use Chrome :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:
mreese80 wrote:

Why do we need five different place marker RE's? Some guy nailed it early on, I think it was Peff or Papen. Maybe that one is nine smackeroos, but it does the job. All five of them do pretty much sweet bugger all but stick a blank plate in the virtual rack.…
Hope this doesn't come off as defensive, but the Selig ReMark was created in response to a bunch of folks on the PUF asking specifically for it. It wasn't something I would have done on my own accord, but rather something I did in response to "popular demand" so to speak.

And for the record, development began in October 2012 with a suggestion by user "themensch". Although it was released about a month after PEFFs, technically it was the first of it's kind since it was discussed publicly long before PEFF released his device. Remarkable, huh? (sorry, couldn't resist)
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

JJGreen

15 Mar 2017

You can't claim bragging right for just talking about something. Peff came to the party first. And his is more professional, with an intuitive GUI and creates a warmer sound in my mixes than ReMark.

My while point is, we don't need five spacers. On tje free list, there are three too many. Just because something's free doesn't mean we should rush to instll it. I see it more as bloatware. Four spacers, one RE with a big knob and 30 CV tools that all do the same thing, plus some idiotic disco panel that contributes nothing but epilepsy risk to a project.

I'm calling for a moratorium on future REs being free.

Kenni
Site Admin

15 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:You can't claim bragging right for just talking about something. Peff came to the party first. And his is more professional, with an intuitive GUI and creates a warmer sound in my mixes than ReMark.

My while point is, we don't need five spacers. On tje free list, there are three too many. Just because something's free doesn't mean we should rush to instll it. I see it more as bloatware. Four spacers, one RE with a big knob and 30 CV tools that all do the same thing, plus some idiotic disco panel that contributes nothing but epilepsy risk to a project.

I don't see the issue here. If you don't need those tools, don't install them. It's like complaining that there's multiple spreadsheet programs out there. You're being unnecessarily negative :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

JJGreen

15 Mar 2017

quote="Kenni"]
JJGreen wrote: I don't see the issue here. If you don't need those tools, don't install them. It's like complaining that there's multiple spreadsheet programs out there. You're being unnecessarily negative :)
And you're being unneccesarily critical of me voicing an opinion. I'm calling it as I see it. The free RE list is collection of junk. Pretty much like half the priced items in the store. A Metronome, seriously?! We're sitting on a production powerhouse and people want to vut a metronome? All the free and junk REs do is take up real estate on the menu. People do not NEED to rush out and take free stuff just because its free. Thats what Im attemping to illustrate here.

I got a Galaxy S7 last year. Was offered one of those VR headsets for free. My flatmate was surprised that I refuaed the offer. Why? Becuse I have no need or desire for such a thing. To me its not going to be some free gift. To me its just clutter, and a tax on the environment.

A little bit like ReMark. How many trees were felled to make that ? How many babies were born without extremities due to the production waste polluting the town dam? How many jobs has it cost America? Plis it's too expensive. Peff's spacer on the other hand, is a conscientious development. Did you know that 'Peff' means 'tree' in Yemeni language? Me neither, because it's not true. Still, if it was, it would be a good story.

I'm hoping you will make a list of ethically responsible REs, Kenni. About the only one that gets my tick of approval are the cardboard placeholders. Unbleached, biodegradable. But the sound is bit too subtle.

So I urge everyone, PLEASE consider the kittens that might die next time you install that free knob, blank plate, or CV spaghetti monster. You don't need them, but the world sure does need kittens.

joeyluck

15 Mar 2017

I appreciate the different ways in which we users are informed of free Rack Extensions.

I think the Combinator patch is a cool idea, but not something I need because I am aware of what I have and there is a handful of free REs I don't have installed and know that I don't have them.

I also don't need this list or others, because I am very well on top of what the free REs are and what pops up in the shop, because I'm pretty enthusiastic about it :)

When I kept track of sales via a thread before the Hot Deals link or Kenni's clever approach, I didn't need the thread to inform myself.
I didn't create a thread thinking or suggesting everybody should buy every Rack Extension that was on sale.

We are all about providing resources to users to simply inform them. And we all acknowledge that not every Reason user is going to learn of things from resource A, or B, or C, etc. And many users aren't even aware of any of these resources. So we all just spread the knowledge across the Interwebs.

I thank the developers for the free goodies :thumbs_up:
Some that I get a laugh out of, many that I get a great deal of use out of, and some that aren't in my inventory.

mreese80

16 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
JJGreen wrote:
mreese80 wrote:

Why do we need five different place marker RE's? Some guy nailed it early on, I think it was Peff or Papen. Maybe that one is nine smackeroos, but it does the job. All five of them do pretty much sweet bugger all but stick a blank plate in the virtual rack.…
Hope this doesn't come off as defensive, but the Selig ReMark was created in response to a bunch of folks on the PUF asking specifically for it. It wasn't something I would have done on my own accord, but rather something I did in response to "popular demand" so to speak.

And for the record, development began in October 2012 with a suggestion by user "themensch". Although it was released about a month after PEFFs, technically it was the first of it's kind since it was discussed publicly long before PEFF released his device. Remarkable, huh? (sorry, couldn't resist)
;)

I have your device Selig. It's not crap. Great Devider. If i didn't like i would say so.

Exowildebeest

16 Mar 2017

Just a meta-comment: the title of this thread is a bit awkward, not very descriptive :)

Edit: that's better ;)
Last edited by Exowildebeest on 16 Mar 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Hazel

16 Mar 2017

I can totally understand the argument of 'taking up precious real-estate in the menu', however until the Propellerhead developers give us a 100% user customizable device menu (which I think should be a thing)... ... ...It is what it is. That being said, when I got my copy of the program, you can bet your ass I was on that site downloading every free instance of rack extension I could get my paws on.

Oquasec

22 Mar 2017

Those being integrated into reason 9.5 or 10 is also a good idea.^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

mreese80

22 Mar 2017

JJGreen wrote:You can't claim bragging right for just talking about something. Peff came to the party first. And his is more professional, with an intuitive GUI and creates a warmer sound in my mixes than ReMark.

lmao. idiotic disco panel :lol: :lol: :lol: :lightbulb:

• Information