About RE GUIs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
deepndark

28 Feb 2017

Ok, almost every native Reason device has an "easy to work with" GUI. Also Antidote looks like a synth that doesn't require me to buy and use glasses.
I wish some synths would update their synths (keeping the features but making them look like you can focus making sounds with them).
And some devs should name the parameters like the Props would do. Predator is a really good synth in so many ways, but I must say it requires lot of nerves from me, to feel like I have a control over it.

theshoemaker

28 Feb 2017

That's about preferences ... the only Stock Device GUI I really like ... is ... NONE. I think Parsec2 from props is very well arranged ... besides that ... Expanse does a pretty amazing job at being a full blown synth and easy to patch. Thor is to fiddling, compared to others, still I can handle it. Subtractor and Malström are to static for my needs. I want to use modular synths. But that's the beauty of it. Choose from all the stuff you like most. Nostromo is also lovely ... Looking forward to V2
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

deepndark

28 Feb 2017

theshoemaker wrote:That's about preferences ... the only Stock Device GUI I really like ... is ... NONE. I think Parsec2 from props is very well arranged ... besides that ... Expanse does a pretty amazing job at being a full blown synth and easy to patch. Thor is to fiddling, compared to others, still I can handle it. Subtractor and Malström are to static for my needs. I want to use modular synths. But that's the beauty of it. Choose from all the stuff you like most. Nostromo is also lovely ... Looking forward to V2
Parsec seems very chilloutish no doupt. But hey - you buy new synths mainly because of their sounds and then after that, how it looks like. Right? :cool:

Kalm

28 Feb 2017

GUI is a huge importance for me. It compels me whether or not the synth will create a certain sound or if I will even attempt creating a sound with it. Looks and sound must go hand in hand.
Last edited by Kalm on 07 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

theshoemaker

28 Feb 2017

deepndark wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:That's about preferences ... the only Stock Device GUI I really like ... is ... NONE. I think Parsec2 from props is very well arranged ... besides that ... Expanse does a pretty amazing job at being a full blown synth and easy to patch. Thor is to fiddling, compared to others, still I can handle it. Subtractor and Malström are to static for my needs. I want to use modular synths. But that's the beauty of it. Choose from all the stuff you like most. Nostromo is also lovely ... Looking forward to V2
Parsec seems very chilloutish no doupt. But hey - you buy new synths mainly because of their sounds and then after that, how it looks like. Right? :cool:
I buy them on how I can work with them to sound good ;) ... thats why the only synth I've been buying until now is Parsec ... got lucky to Beta Test Nostromo so I own the license now. But besides that, I only bought filters or CV tools (Hello Mr. Panda) Because the stockdevices do an amazing job, especially because I got the KORG ones and PX7 in a bundle when I bought Reason.

I'd love to buy the papen ones? YES!
The synapse ones? YES
The blamsoft ones? Oh hell, YES
The Ochen K.? A serious YES!
The Zvorks? Ähm YES!

Do I need them after all ... hmmm ... I got thor which is awesome and px7 for this nifty FM stuff. Parsec is even deeper than Thor, but rather limited in modulating.

When I get some more money to spend, of course. I will :)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

hadmyrackextended

07 Mar 2017

Kalm wrote:GUI is a huge importance for me. It compiles me whether or not the synth will create a certain sound or if I will even attempt creating a sound with it. Looks and sound must go hand in hand.
I opened Zero, and closed it again for this exact reason - made 'Zero' sense to me.

Kalm

07 Mar 2017

hadmyrackextended wrote:
Kalm wrote:GUI is a huge importance for me. It compiles me whether or not the synth will create a certain sound or if I will even attempt creating a sound with it. Looks and sound must go hand in hand.
I opened Zero, and closed it again for this exact reason - made 'Zero' sense to me.
It's just necessary sometimes. lolol
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Loque

07 Mar 2017

hadmyrackextended wrote:
Well, thats a decision...
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2017

GUIs definitely matter to me. An intuitive workflow is everything. I know most people like Thor for it's versatility and stuff, perhaps even for its looks. But I've always found the GUI pretty messy. It's like they threw a bunch stuff in there randomly and then drew some arrows to somehow make sense of it. I just doesn't feel intuitive to me.

Subtractor and Malström are alright but there are REs I much rather prefer when it comes to GUI, like: FM4, Legend, Expanse.
Come to think of it, all of my favorite synths have GUIs and workflows I really like.
For me Zero is a good example of a great synth with an overwhelming GUI, which is why I've never got into it.
But I'm glad Blamsoft pulled it off with Expanse. That's a big synth with endless options yet still it's easy to work with.

Of course everything regarding GUIs and workflow is subjective. Some tools you just don't click with.

eXode

07 Mar 2017

hadmyrackextended wrote:
I'm sad to hear that, but at the same time Zero is a very advanced FM synth. Considering it's features I'm not sure how it could have been made any more user friendly to be honest. FM requires more from the user and I believe that to be true regardless if you are using Zero, PX7, or similar FM synths on the VST platform.

I don't think it's a coincidence that synth tech's in the 80's saw several DX7 come in for service with all the factory presets intact. :)

Kalm

07 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
hadmyrackextended wrote:
I'm sad to hear that, but at the same time Zero is a very advanced FM synth. Considering it's features I'm not sure how it could have been made any more user friendly to be honest. FM requires more from the user and I believe that to be true regardless if you are using Zero, PX7, or similar FM synths on the VST platform.

I don't think it's a coincidence that synth tech's in the 80's saw several DX7 come in for service with all the factory presets intact. :)
I have no doubts about Zero and might pick it up in the near future after PX7 but the font just gets me sometimes lol. (Well mostly the title fonts). I had the same feeling about Solaris at first but the update with the real knobs look and a strong color palette made me glad I got it and it sounds dope.

selig
RE Developer

07 Mar 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:…But I'm glad Blamsoft pulled it off with Expanse. That's a big synth with endless options yet still it's easy to work with.…
Maybe that's the Exode effect? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2017

selig wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:…But I'm glad Blamsoft pulled it off with Expanse. That's a big synth with endless options yet still it's easy to work with.…
Maybe that's the Exode effect? ;)
Could be :)

Loque

07 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
hadmyrackextended wrote:

Well, i like Zero and was also impressed by the GUI. I think you cannot satisfy every user.
Reason12, Win10

fieldframe
RE Developer

08 Mar 2017

Kalm wrote:
eXode wrote:
hadmyrackextended wrote:

I have no doubts about Zero and might pick it up in the near future after PX7 but the font just gets me sometimes lol. (Well mostly the title fonts). I had the same feeling about Solaris at first but the update with the real knobs look and a strong color palette made me glad I got it and it sounds dope.
Yeah, the typography on Zero was a real turnoff for me. I recognize the title font (Neuropol by Ray Larabie); I was using it back in high school before I knew any better. :P It's really not a UI font in the first place; it's what in design is called a "display type" meaning it should only be used in large headlines (such as an event poster for your neighborhood trance DJ).

In any case, I'm really glad Blamsoft got its act together in terms of typography for Expanse, which looks as professional as it sounds.

ScuzzyEye

08 Mar 2017

fieldframe wrote:Yeah, the typography on Zero was a real turnoff for me. I recognize the title font (Neuropol by Ray Larabie); I was using it back in high school before I knew any better. :P
Same!

In fact when a teaser was shown of Zero, without any developer attached, I guessed it was by Deadman Audio Devices, because they used the same font.

Funny thing. Yesterday, I saw a sign at a Salvation Army chapel listing service times written in Neuropol, and I thought of Zero/Deadman Audio. :D
Last edited by ScuzzyEye on 08 Mar 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Exowildebeest

08 Mar 2017

I think it's a really cool, cyberpunky font. But yeah, poor choice for complicated FM synth's GUI :) I would have been a lot more acceptable if it was a simple effect unit or subtractive synth, where readability isn't that important.

fieldframe
RE Developer

08 Mar 2017

ScuzzyEye wrote:
fieldframe wrote:Yeah, the typography on Zero was a real turnoff for me. I recognize the title font (Neuropol by Ray Larabie); I was using it back in high school before I knew any better. :P
Same!

In fact when a teaser was shown of Zero, without any developer attached, I guessed it was by Deadman Audio Devices, because they used the same font.

Funny thing. Yesterday, I saw a sign at a Salvation Army chapel listing service times written in Neuropol, and I thought of Zero/Deadman Audio. :D
Neuropol on a sign at a church? Was it for the EDM liturgy? :)

hadmyrackextended

20 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
hadmyrackextended wrote:

Don't get me wrong i will have another go when pennies require me to be less selective, but on the trial it just didn't seem intuitive enough to me. I am not talking down on it's capabilities im sure it's very good, It just wasn't easy on the eye ' for me '.

:)

Data_Shrine

20 Mar 2017

Maybe its a sign that an high-res, eyes-friendly graphics engine is coming ? Check out the Thor screenshots in this new Keyboardmag article :

http://www.keyboardmag.com/lessons/1251 ... thor/62171

eXode

20 Mar 2017

Data_Shrine wrote:Maybe its a sign that an high-res, eyes-friendly graphics engine is coming ? Check out the Thor screenshots in this new Keyboardmag article :

I believe those are from the iOS version of Thor.

Data_Shrine

20 Mar 2017

eXode wrote:
Data_Shrine wrote:Maybe its a sign that an high-res, eyes-friendly graphics engine is coming ? Check out the Thor screenshots in this new Keyboardmag article :

I believe those are from the iOS version of Thor.
Oh, damn. x_x that's quite possible.

• Information