PSQ-1684 v3.1.0 is in the shop! [Updates]

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
botnotbot

19 Nov 2017

That's strange because I don't see that behavior.

It jumps back and forth from 000 to 127 regardless of what I'm doing to the Velocity knobs.

I'm using this on Reason 9.2, macOS Sierra.

WongoTheSane

19 Nov 2017

Are you using this output?

output.JPG
output.JPG (53.21 KiB) Viewed 5900 times

botnotbot

19 Nov 2017

Ah! No, I was using the Grid Out. Thanks for clarifying!

So I will need to merge these gate outputs in order to use them in a sequence, correct?

WongoTheSane

19 Nov 2017

Instinctively, I would do the reverse: the sequence is supposed to be handled by the Sequencer (which does carry velocities), itself being driven by pulses (the grid). I don't know of a way to modulate the output of the grid internally, as it is supposed to emit pulses (on/off) and not varying signals (note that it can't be a target in the mod matrix for instance).

But you could get pretty much the same effect by setting one of the sequencers to just one step lengthwise, and connecting to its output. For instance: pulse A1 drives step W1 of S1, whose velocity is determined either by its velocity knob or a mod matrix modulation. Then you can pick the output of W1 on the back, instead of picking the output of A1.

Bear in mind I'm not saying this is the "right" way of doing it, it's just the one I'm used to!

These knobs are made for chaos
And that's just what they'll do
One of these days they gonna random over you

:)

ejanuska

19 Nov 2017

If you stick it in a combinator you can modulate the velocity knobs of the sequencer with any oscillator, buy you might hit the 10 assignment limit of the programmer.
Or you can use the CV input of the PSQ and the mod matrix to modulate, then assign the CV input to modulate the sequencer velocity.

Just sayin

Bumbum

06 May 2018

Hydlide released couple of tutorials for new psq

electrofux

11 Jul 2018

As i am digging deeper and deeper into this fabulous device a couple of Questions and suggestions came up.

I am trying to generate a sequence of long pulses and as far as i have understood the manual and by trying out the shift register is destined for this because it handles the pulse width differently than the normal pulse generator which (in a simple one generator setup) produces mostly the more static 1/4,1/2 etc long pulses when width is cranked up.
With the shift register i can use 32 or 16 bit patterns in the more populated and interesting pattern area with width cranked up so that neighbouring bits create a longer pulse.

But with the Shift Register i am having a hard time getting the pulses on the beat and i found that even though the bits are set to 16 or 32 i get a noticable jump when the pattern resets at eg 64- shouldnt it run through (delay, phase set to 0) smoothly?

Also i often have the wish to nudge the bit pattern a notch or two to get the sequence on the beat but when using delay i get a delay whenever the device resets. It would be cool to have a nudge control for the bit pattern. OR if i could exclude it from the reset because then the delay could be used for that. In that context i have seen that reset is a modulation destination for pulse generators. Is this an individual reset?

Another thing is up and down buttons for the shift register patterns. There are so many patterns that some of them aren't reachable through the devices controls as the resolution is not fine enough, right?

rcbuse
RE Developer

11 Jul 2018

electrofux wrote:
11 Jul 2018
As i am digging deeper and deeper into this fabulous device a couple of Questions and suggestions came up.

I am trying to generate a sequence of long pulses and as far as i have understood the manual and by trying out the shift register is destined for this because it handles the pulse width differently than the normal pulse generator which (in a simple one generator setup) produces mostly the more static 1/4,1/2 etc long pulses when width is cranked up.
With the shift register i can use 32 or 16 bit patterns in the more populated and interesting pattern area with width cranked up so that neighbouring bits create a longer pulse.

But with the Shift Register i am having a hard time getting the pulses on the beat and i found that even though the bits are set to 16 or 32 i get a noticable jump when the pattern resets at eg 64- shouldnt it run through (delay, phase set to 0) smoothly?

Also i often have the wish to nudge the bit pattern a notch or two to get the sequence on the beat but when using delay i get a delay whenever the device resets. It would be cool to have a nudge control for the bit pattern. OR if i could exclude it from the reset because then the delay could be used for that. In that context i have seen that reset is a modulation destination for pulse generators. Is this an individual reset?

Another thing is up and down buttons for the shift register patterns. There are so many patterns that some of them aren't reachable through the devices controls as the resolution is not fine enough, right?
So if I understand correctly you are looking for pulses of varying length, but you want them on the quarter beat.

Reset PSQ
Set master clock to 1/4
Pulse A1 Width to 50.0
Pulse A1 Division to 1
Pulse A1 Count to Down

You should now have a regular pulse every 1/4 note with a pulse width of 50% to start with.

Lets modulate the A1 pulse width with a random source that changes every time Pulse A1 triggers. Sequencer S1 driven with A1 will work great.

Randomize the aux values
Set knobs to Aux
Sequencer Tools > All Rows > Randomize

Sequencer S1 Move to Random
Set a modulator: Sequencer S1 Aux to Pulse A1 Width, Amount 100
Pulse A1 Width = 10.0 (since we are adding up to 100 with above)

Now we should have pulses every 1/4 note with varying pulse widths. Some are going to latch since we can have widths up to 110%.
Set Pulse A1 Chaos to 20% so we avoid that latch and have a few pulses off.

Tweak A1 Width, A1 Chaos, and S1 Aux > A1 Width Amount to taste.
Attachments
Var Width Pulses.repatch.zip
(3.08 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

electrofux

11 Jul 2018

Ah yeah man, modulating pulsewitdth. Nice.

But it also seems that the pulsegenerators modulation destination "Reset" is an individual reset, is it?

Another suggestion: making the right or left hand part of the Sequencer Indicator a mute button.

Iapetus 9

15 Jul 2018

Seriously...this is the best RE in the shop. I can only hope for more modular awesomesauce. Thanks Panda!
38L > 51D every time.

Bumbum

22 Jul 2018

my face when i notice that you can set reset counter to "disable"
this has been so annoying when making loops and i never thought that you can disable it....

jimmyklane

22 Jul 2018

I’ve never seen this RE before, and thank you Hydlide for releasing the explanatory video posted above! With all the functionality as well as the mod-matrix and connectivity in the back it seems to me that this must be the most powerful sequencer available for Reason.

I’ve always used Reason as a linear recorder....no blocks, simply playing in the parts as I come up with them, and sometimes cutting and pasting “chorus” “verse” etc. using a tool like this, especially connected to EMIs with players attached, I can see an entire song being created simply by automating which patten plays at what time!

I’ve got to give this a try, as it seems really interesting. I’ve never gotten into analog sequencers, instead going with (at first) hardware MIDI recorders and then the computer....this would be my first foray into the “analog” aspect of sequencing but I can already see the possibilities.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

rcbuse
RE Developer

22 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 Jul 2018

I’ve got to give this a try, as it seems really interesting. I’ve never gotten into analog sequencers, instead going with (at first) hardware MIDI recorders and then the computer....this would be my first foray into the “analog” aspect of sequencing but I can already see the possibilities.
The rabbit hole is deep!

etyrnal2

13 Sep 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Feb 2017
PSQ1684v3Front.png
PSQ1684v3Back.png

Lectric Panda is excited to present V3 of PSQ-1684.
  • Full SDK 2.5 overhaul
  • Deeper editing via menus
  • 24 slot modulation matrix
  • Drag to source and destination
  • 8 CV in / 8 CV out
  • Patch Support
  • New randomization abilities
30-day Trials have been reset, so try it again today:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/psq-1684/

V3 Manual update in progress...
THIS THING IS AMAZING!!!!! LOVED IT INSTANTLY!!!

100% one instance of PSW-1684 : https://allihoopa.com/s/6iDkKFj2

i had to create about nine tracks to fully comprehend this thing... i use this with KRON and a BUNCH of Re CV tools

One thing your LFO machine is definitely lacking is monopolar/bipolar switch, and an offset knob function... it's nice to be able to control the amplitude of the wave, but to be able to offset it is when i always have to grab KRON. I kept trying to use your LFO, but just really need a way to offset the whole wave up or down. Would be cool to add a 3rd knob to the knobs allowing lfo 1 & to to modulate each other's phase, etc... the additional knob would be to allow one lfo to modulate the other LFO's vertical offset in a bipolar manner
:reason: :record: :recycle: :re: :adapted: :ignition: :essentials: :refill: :rebirth:

Undistraction

14 Sep 2018

That's a really nice track.

And totally agree with your suggestions regarding LFO.

Crumbfort

27 Feb 2019

Random question for Lectric Panda! (I own and love all your REs, keep up the awesome work)

Re: the PSQ-1684: Would it be possible to have individual sequencer steps as modulation targets? I've been messing with Five12 Numerology a bit and the ability to randomly modulate individual steps is something I really like. I realize I could do this with multiple PSQ-1684s and switches, but that gets pretty unwieldy pretty quickly.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Crumbfort

09 Apr 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
27 Feb 2019
Random question for Lectric Panda! (I own and love all your REs, keep up the awesome work)

Re: the PSQ-1684: Would it be possible to have individual sequencer steps as modulation targets? I've been messing with Five12 Numerology a bit and the ability to randomly modulate individual steps is something I really like. I realize I could do this with multiple PSQ-1684s and switches, but that gets pretty unwieldy pretty quickly.
I hate to quote myself, but would anybody else be interested in this? Am I missing a more obvious way that this can be done already?
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

rcbuse
RE Developer

09 Apr 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
09 Apr 2019
Crumbfort wrote:
27 Feb 2019

I hate to quote myself, but would anybody else be interested in this? Am I missing a more obvious way that this can be done already?
Sorry I missed your post the first time around. There currently isn't a way to modulate those individual step values, only the sequence value as a whole.

Crumbfort

10 Apr 2019

Ah, completely all good! I think it'd be an awesome feature to possibly add (I'm saying that without any knowledge of how difficult it would actually be to implement :puf_bigsmile: ) but no worries at all if it never happens. PSQ-1684 is a brilliant module as is.

electrofux

11 Apr 2019

There is no way to prevent the sequencers to reset on stop, is there?

mjxl

11 Apr 2019

electrofux wrote:
11 Apr 2019
If you manually press run it won't stop when you stop the sequencer.

electrofux

11 Apr 2019

mjxl wrote:
11 Apr 2019
electrofux wrote:
11 Apr 2019
If you manually press run it won't stop when you stop the sequencer.
It still resets the Sequencers though when manually pressing run again to stop. I was looking for a way to keep the Sequencer position on stop like in Thor in Step Mode.

EdGrip

30 Apr 2019

When you're just trying to get your head around PSQ-1684 and you're preeeeeeetty sure Panda is fucking with you:

(I was trying to find a way to adjust and modulate the length of the gate signals coming out of a Matrix. I thought "I bet PSQ-1684 can do that." But I don't think it can. Could it? It seems like the sort of thing a PSQ-1684 would do...)

rcbuse
RE Developer

01 May 2019

EdGrip wrote:
30 Apr 2019
When you're just trying to get your head around PSQ-1684 and you're preeeeeeetty sure Panda is fucking with you:

(I was trying to find a way to adjust and modulate the length of the gate signals coming out of a Matrix. I thought "I bet PSQ-1684 can do that." But I don't think it can. Could it? It seems like the sort of thing a PSQ-1684 would do...)
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the signal coming out of a matrix. The 'position gate' output or a sequencer output ?

EdGrip

01 May 2019

I mean a Matrix device - each step holds the gate open for half the step length, but I was looking for a way to vary that. Whatever I was trying to achieve I'm sure I could have achieved with ASDR settings.

Anyway, I think that bit of the manual is wrong. ;)

• Information