KiloHearts Transient Shaper is now available

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ReasonTalk

01 Feb 2017

Back in October KiloHearts released the biggest toolbox available, containing all in all 23 Rack Extensions. These so-called snap-ins are beloved for their simple, intuitive design while delivering a clean and crisp sound. Today they're adding yet another tool to the collection. KiloHearts Transient Shaper is now available!

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/02/kilo ... available/

pothole

01 Feb 2017

YES

Despondo
Competition Winner

01 Feb 2017

BTW, if you already own the Toolbox, the upgrade that adds the Transient Shaper is only $19 USD. :-)

dvdrtldg

01 Feb 2017

First impressions, sounds fantastic, and up against Kong & DCAM it has the potential to be way more aggressive. But for most applications I don't really need the extremes. On more everyday settings, Kong and DCAM suit me fine, and I like DCAM's hi pass option. Might pick this up later if it goes on sale. But if you don't already have DCAM, this is the business (and probably less of a CPU hit)

Bonkhead

01 Feb 2017

Despondo wrote:BTW, if you already own the Toolbox, the upgrade that adds the Transient Shaper is only $19 USD. :-)
THIS :D :thumbs_up: :exclamation:

Bonkhead

01 Feb 2017

Edit: you don't load the transient shaper page, but the toolbox page, yeah it's 19 euro's ! :puf_bigsmile:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/bundle/k ... s-toolbox/
Hmm, it is still 39 euro's ..... I logged in, have the toolbox and loaded the shoppage :(

Peter

01 Feb 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:First impressions, sounds fantastic, and up against Kong & DCAM it has the potential to be way more aggressive. But for most applications I don't really need the extremes. On more everyday settings, Kong and DCAM suit me fine, and I like DCAM's hi pass option. Might pick this up later if it goes on sale. But if you don't already have DCAM, this is the business (and probably less of a CPU hit)
Thanks for the review! I've found myself in situations of wanting a more aggressive shaper and I'm looking forward to trying this soon! :)

Blast

01 Feb 2017

Got it for the 19 dollars update since I already own the Toolbox,it is by far more gentle on the CPU than DCAM.

Maxsu

05 Feb 2017

Aaahhrg, I have to resist to instabuy this... oh, cool a Transientshaper in my Reasontoolbox :D

My Snares and Kicks are screaming for this!

Bonkhead

05 Feb 2017

Wow, i just tested khz transient shaper directly against dcam env shaper and the khz transient shaper is far superior to the dcam.

I loaded dr octorex acoustic college 130 drums and played it at 250 bpm with both shapers on it, comparing settings and sound one at a time, the difference is fantastic, it's huge, it's amazing. it's the best difference in Reason. Grab them by the transients.

Edit: even at 500 bpm the khz transient shaper still manages to do a decent job, it's super fast.

Edit 2: also dr octorex preset tambourine 120 slot 3 on 999 bpm makes it clear which one is the best.
khz999.png
khz999.png (362.35 KiB) Viewed 4386 times

Loque

05 Feb 2017

Bonkhead wrote:Wow, i just tested khz transient shaper directly against dcam env shaper and the khz transient shaper is far superior to the dcam.

I loaded dr octorex acoustic college 130 drums and played it at 250 bpm with both shapers on it, comparing settings and sound one at a time, the difference is fantastic, it's huge, it's amazing. it's the best difference in Reason. Grab them by the transients.

Edit: even at 500 bpm the khz transient shaper still manages to do a decent job, it's super fast.

Edit 2: also dr octorex preset tambourine 120 slot 3 on 999 bpm makes it clear which one is the best.

khz999.png
Did you compared it to Kong? DCAM produces a lot artefacts, but Kong is often better.
Reason12, Win10

Bonkhead

05 Feb 2017

I don't use kong to solely slap it's shaper in some random place inside a rack to make some transients more alive, workflow etc. But I'll test it now to see what it will do :)

Edit: tested, kong is indeed good, but khz transient shaper goes much further in settings and shapes, thus delivering more tweakability and sound design capabilities.

Edit 2: ok, i did another test, having a 16th snaredrum (kong standard preset) rolling.
Enhancing the transient both kong and khz transient shaper performed great with khz transient shaper having the most features and deeper settings, Dcam an ok second.
When doing the opposite, reducing transients, khz transient shaper is the only one which totally ducks the initial punch/tick of the snaredrum, while both kong and dcam env shaper still let through some minor percussive attack at the start of the sound.

Edt 3: Again back to testing the snare drum with the shortest range possible, kong does introduce some more artifacts than the khz transient shaper.
Still, khz transient shaper remains my go to device of those three, now i'm off testing it against C1L1 and Mace which I also bought for that super tight transient creation.

Edit 4: khz transient shaper outperformes both c1l1 and mace, mace being second and c1l1 being third when it comes to fastest responds to incoming signal and creating transients.

So I might conclude for myself that I think khz transient shaper is the best one available now in Reason.
Last edited by Bonkhead on 05 Feb 2017, edited 3 times in total.

Loque

05 Feb 2017

Bonkhead wrote:I don't use kong to solely slap it's shaper in some random place inside a rack to make some transients more alive, workflow etc. But I'll test it now to see what it will do :)

Edit: tested, kong is indeed good, but khz transient shaper goes much further in settings and shapes, thus delivering more tweakability and sound design capabilities.

Edit 2: ok, i did another test, having a 16th snaredrum (kong standard preset) rolling.
Enhancing the transient both kong and khz transient shaper performed great with khz transient shaper having the most features and deeper settings, Dcam an ok second.
When doing the opposite, reducing transients, khz transient shaper is the only one which totally ducks the initial punch/tick athe snaredrum, while both kong and dcam env shaper still let through some minor percussive attack at the start of the sound.

Edt 3: Again back to testing the snare drum with the shortest range possible, kong does introduce some more artifacts then khz transient shaper.
Still, khz transient shaper remains my go to device of those three, now i'm off testing it against C1L1 and Mace which I bought for that super tight transient creation.
Interesting... So in the end i have to try different devices that fit my needs. Good to have an arsenal...
Reason12, Win10

Kenni
Site Admin

08 Feb 2017

Bonkhead wrote:
Excellent stuff!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

KirkMarkarian

12 Feb 2017

Works great on the buss too! I found that a lot of what I was using Pump for can also be done with KiloHearts Transient Shaper. I do not want to disqualify Pump at all - it is really something else for a variety of things it can perform. The way I was using it was for the pumping effect. Transient shaper does that VERY well, and has a smoother overall feel. Yes, I know Pump can do it too, but the KTS really just allowed me to dial it in rapidly, and it has a slightly different feel.

philosurfer

13 Sep 2017

Love this thing. Well worth the upgrade price. I am pw0ning snares like there is no tomrrow!

svenh

18 Sep 2017

Yepp, very easy to use!

• Information