Bigger combinator

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Marco Raaphorst

25 Oct 2018

normen wrote:
29 Jan 2017
Remember that the SSL insert is also a combinator so all the knobs and buttons would go in there as well (or it'd only be able to control the first 4..)
this would be my solution for compatibility (if second knob not used, only single knob is shown):
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 13.11.47.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 13.11.47.png (44.88 KiB) Viewed 1531 times

Jackjackdaw

21 Jan 2019

8 knobs please. My humble request.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2019

jamiefbolton wrote:
26 Jan 2017
Anyone else think the combinator could use an expansion of more knobs and buttons? Or the ability to drag and drop only knobs or only buttons? I'd buy this as a rack extension too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish you could combine combinators.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

phithegoldenratio

21 Jan 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Jan 2019
you get 8 knobs if you sacrifice 4 CV ins :o

BUT 8 knobs, 8 switches, 8 CV ins should be standard. knobs and switches even expandable to b3 16 or 32 hm... yummm
i*d be pissed if they will not do anything about it with next release #

Fraxis

21 Jan 2019

I'd like to see something that's a hardware controller-specific combinator, separate to the existing one. So, for example, one that mimicked the interface of a Nektar Panorama, but with the option to mix and match the controls to lock to any device within the 'combinator' or toggle through them. Could potentially reduce or remove the need for device templates?

scratchnsnifff

21 Jan 2019

More matrix slots!!!
At least double or Triple

They should look at the Re with the most amount of combinator compatible controls, and allow for at least that many matrix slots
I love the combinator, but the synths (stock and Re) are only going to have more and more to them. And the current combinator only allows for control of 10 parameters

So with this in mind, It will be an absolute need at some point. As for myself, this is already a need. I want to have Fm, LFOs, modifiers, filters, etc all bring controlled from a macro. I don’t care if I have to double up on a knob, but it will come to the point where we have 300+ parameters in a synth and we will only be able to macro 10 parameters.

This is already true when using omnisphere and vps avenger
Sure there are work arounds but it’s odd that such a useful tool is almost forgotten. I really thought when they introduced vst that a combinator update would be right after, due to the lack of control.

If they do build a new one it is absolutely imperative that it has all of the current features plus more, I really don’t want to see Reason get new synths and have no clean way to control them. Automation works, however the sequencer handles it in a weird way. You end up with a ton of sequencer tracks and can easily get lost with a medium sized project. Luckily the props do have a great starting point with the current combinator.

Drag and drop
(When a device is combined) right click an map to rotary,cv, or buttons
Random and velocity as a source
Crazy number of matrix slots per device, or come up with a way of a never ending amounts of slots for sources and targets. It would have to be a code that creates code

Another great idea is how bitwig handles their concept of Macro systems, instead of there being a device that you have to count on. You create a button or knob. Or create a second 8 buttons or knobs.

As stated before. It will come to a point where it will get harder to use the combibator, it’s an amazing tool for mixing synths and effects. But it’s hard to tell yourself that you can’t use that control because you ran out of space. It’s a weird limitation because literally everything else seems so free an open lol
Cv and audio lets synths talk to each other, but the device that’s meant for creative organization gets filled up pretty quick with some of the mega synths

I sincerely hope this is looked at in the near future as it will make a lot of hardcore users happy :) hope this concept takes off
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Oquasec

21 Jan 2019

We still have to connect un arpeggio RPG-8's to do that, or hook all of them up to spiders :)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jackjackdaw

22 Jan 2019

phithegoldenratio wrote:
21 Jan 2019
Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 Jan 2019
you get 8 knobs if you sacrifice 4 CV ins :o

BUT 8 knobs, 8 switches, 8 CV ins should be standard. knobs and switches even expandable to b3 16 or 32 hm... yummm
i*d be pissed if they will not do anything about it with next release #
The thing I love about Reason is the opportunity for experimentation, the thing I hate is that in this spirit a lot of things that should be a built in feature or a simple button press have to be achieved by some janky work-around hack.

michal22

23 Jan 2019

I dream about something like this:
Control is via touch panel - as CV Suite Vectorizer. At each corner of the touch panel is the memory bank: Bank A, Bank B, Bank C and Bank D. You create your own devices in Combinator and set the parameters of the devices as you want. Now you press the right mouse button on the Combinator and choose option - save all parameters in the bank A. Now you change the parameters of the devices in combinator and choose option - save all parameters in the bank B. You can set things up this way also other memory banks. Now, by moving a finger, or the cursor on the touch panel, you can customize sound effect or instrument. You can create rich and complex (complicated) passage. In the future, the Combinator will support touch screens.

Programming the current combinator is not easy and enjoyable. In Reason, after changes in the min/max value in combinator programmer you do not hear the change in sound. You must move the combinator knob to hear the changes. There is no problem in Ableton. All changes (with the right setting of the knob) are heard on a regular basis. In Reason you need to lose a lot of time when entering parameters. New (touch) combinator would be very easy to use and very effective.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

challism

12 Sep 2019

jamiefbolton wrote:
26 Jan 2017
hopefully someone will make one if Props won't....

i'm totally unaware of how to create rack extensions...certainly someone could do it?
This has been brought up almost as many times as the request for an improved/expanded Combi. Currently the RE STK is unable to support the creation of a Combi, otherwise, I'm sure we would have seen a bunch of them hit the shop already.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

botnotbot

12 Sep 2019

My take: rather than a static combinator interface, the next-gen combinator may arrive as a modular control surface for a Reason Rack instance (plugin mode) or folder track/sub rack/whatever it will be called (Reason mode). That way they can deliver a "final" combinator functionality that won't require too much more intervention from them in order to make users happy while finally addressing the fact that rack organization could use some additional sub-racking capabilities (ie, it's not just too many tracks on the sequencer that gets problematic in a large project). And if the user doesn't want to wire any CV into their panel (probably only available in Reason mode anyway), then you can skip a whole subset of processing concerns for that "combinator" related to CV in/out ports, etc.

Since the Rack plugin can now seemingly run all of the legacy Reason devices, it seems we may be on the cusp of something like the above arriving in the 11.x life cycle, after or in conjunction with the arrival of the graphics stack over-haul.

Oquasec

12 Sep 2019

Tbh I wish Reason either called it self Reason 11 for good or just get rid of numbers and make a new name : /
Since Reason studios is the new name, why not just call Reason 12...
Propellerhead One?????????????????????????
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

12 Sep 2019

OMG a super Combinator, that's SUCH a good idea, it could fold out and have heaps of knobs and CV ins and a huge matrix - somebody should totally recommend this to Props, my bet it will only take them 75 years to implement it and it will be sold separately for our convenience at only 100 US dollars (plus inflation)!

Bjørn Felle

19 Sep 2019

I made a design for an updated Combinator and tweeted it at props. Check the comments for more screenshots of how I thought programming could work. Hopefully they’re working on an updated combi. This device makes Reason for me, so an updated version would be incredible.

• Information