Proton Granular Synth!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
chimp_spanner

25 Jan 2017

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... celerator/

Demo'ing now. First impressions, great! GUI seems a little sluggish in some areas (dragging the grain position is quicker than adjusting its knob, for example). But man, it's great to finally have this functionality in Reason!

And to think I wasted all that time making one out of NN-XTs and RPG8s :lol:

Peter

25 Jan 2017

Nice nice nice!

chimp_spanner

25 Jan 2017

After a *very* brief muckaround, just some initial feedback:

* Would definitely like to see a snappier interface. It's just a taaad laggy atm
* Some polyphony issues; set to 16 voices but sometimes will only play two at a time
* Would love to see a spread control for the grains!
* Reverse and ping pong playback modes would be nice, although I guess you could achieve this yourself with some editing

In fact yeah I can see what's going on with the polyphony. I think "voice" and "particle" are actually the same thing, which is a little different than I was expecting (typically a voice will have a set number of particles/grains). So you can run out of notes pretty quickly if you're using long decay times. So for now, just don't set the release too high and you should be okay! But would like to see this addressed at some point. All it'd really require is a bit of voice (or particle) stealing on new note presses :)

Again though, really cool stuff. Fantastic way to usher in 9.2!

Majestik Monkey

25 Jan 2017

Actually what I have noticed with Proton & Vibro too is !

When editing parameter's it's much smoother to use the Numeral parameters ....

But I really like this Concept ' moving the Grains through the Neutron ' & of course the Sample loading ,
Well done to Selig :geek: & LOC-AB :ugeek: ' Wonderful GIZZMO ;)

XysteR

25 Jan 2017

Granular synths and sample loading. I'll check out Proton when I get home - Today was indeed officially Christmas for me lol

chimp_spanner

25 Jan 2017

Haha yeah and for me too. I haven't even gotten dressed or started work yet. Thanks O̶b̶a̶m̶a̶ Reason 9.2.

And just to be clear like, not being negative on Proton. It's seriously awesome. It's also the first version, and the first of its kind. So I think we'll see some very interesting things in the coming months. For now though I'm busy turning my voice and guitar and other things in the room into pads haha.

Say here's a question; what happens to patches that you save that use external samples? Can they be saved as part of a ReFill? Would be cool for things like, for example, Hydronexius. They could release expansion sound-sets. Or we could have multi-sampled drum instruments where you could buy extra kits without the core plugin having to be updated, getting bigger and bigger.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 25 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Vince-Noir-99

25 Jan 2017

Looking at that, I'm wondering if at some point the good old NN-19 will become something like Simpler... even without the recent fancy additions (warp, slice etc). I'd be more than happy with a Simpler from 10 years ago in Reason 9, just for the waveform interface.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

25 Jan 2017

Yeah this may be the upgrade that pushes me over the edge to upgrade from 8.3. Sample loading is going to have a lot of promise for the RE format!

KirkMarkarian

25 Jan 2017

This synth is exactly what I've been looking for. Now I won't have to work outside Reason for granular sound. Fantastic! I have Fritz as well, and this covers areas that Fritz does not. It's like having my dream of Max/MSP inside of Reason, except it's now much easier to use!

KirkMarkarian

25 Jan 2017

OH! And pair it with Fritz! Holy cow. Random smudge city!

RequiemMachine

25 Jan 2017

I'm dying to try it out...damn job lol
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

hamzter
RE Developer

25 Jan 2017

Hi,
chimp_spanner wrote:* Some polyphony issues; set to 16 voices but sometimes will only play two at a time
The voice allocation works similar to Subtractor: when keys are held, you won't be able to steal them. Could this be the reason?
chimp_spanner wrote:* Would love to see a spread control for the grains!
If by this you mean "stereo spread" or "unison", it's in the works... :puf_bigsmile:
chimp_spanner wrote:* Reverse and ping pong playback modes would be nice, although I guess you could achieve this yourself with some editing
Not quite sure what you mean... Are you talking about being able to reverse the sample you load or something else?

Best regards,
Gustav

Ottostrom

25 Jan 2017

Kind of a shame they kept the style of their other REs around the screen part. I know the functionality is the important part, but I also want to feel inspired by the look!

hamzter
RE Developer

25 Jan 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Say here's a question; what happens to patches that you save that use external samples?
As far as I know, the patches for Rack Extensions work exactly the same way as patches with samples do for the legacy Reason devices.

Best regards,
Gustav

sonicbyte

25 Jan 2017

Looks very impressive... Sad I have R8.3 couldn't test yet

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2017

In Proton, is everything automatable with a right click like with most Reason devices? I'm asking because with Vibro you couldn't do that with most controls if I remember correctly.

aRiver

25 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:In Proton, is everything automatable with a right click like with most Reason devices? I'm asking because with Vibro you couldn't do that with most controls if I remember correctly.
Just came in to ask the same question, as it seems you can't automate anything at the moment.

Peter

25 Jan 2017

Just did a quick mess around for somebody who can't mess around! :lol: Five minutes of screwing around with spoken word. Awesome and so intuitive! :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2017

aRiver wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:In Proton, is everything automatable with a right click like with most Reason devices? I'm asking because with Vibro you couldn't do that with most controls if I remember correctly.
Just came in to ask the same question, as it seems you can't automate anything at the moment.

You can automate everything in both Vibro and Proton, and access them all from a Combinator as well. But you cannot right-click to access the automation. You must access the controls from the sequencer since these devices use custom displays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

25 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:Just did a quick mess around for somebody who can't mess around! :lol: Five minutes of screwing around with spoken word. Awesome and so intuitive! :thumbs_up:

How it indicates / shows you what part of the sample you're at, I've always wished for that on Malstrom with the Index. Visual as well as audial is always a bonus.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2017

Ottostrom wrote:Kind of a shame they kept the style of their other REs around the screen part. I know the functionality is the important part, but I also want to feel inspired by the look!
It was decided to keep the look of existing LoveOne products for this device rather than take time to come up with a completely new look.

The look can always change later, unlike other aspects of a device! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Peter

25 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:Visual as well as audial is always a bonus.
Visuals take the cake with the candles for me! I'm very visual in my overall process and I'm looking forward to how this will impact my music!

Creativemind

25 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:
Creativemind wrote:Visual as well as audial is always a bonus.
Visuals take the cake with the candles for me! I'm very visual in my overall process and I'm looking forward to how this will impact my music!
Yeah, bit off topic but would love a visual display on the M-Class Compressor as well.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Ottostrom

25 Jan 2017

selig wrote: It was decided to keep the look of existing LoveOne products for this device rather than take time to come up with a completely new look.

The look can always change later, unlike other aspects of a device! :)
It's such a nice device that I hope it can get its own style in the future! The texture right now looks strikingly similar to my bedroom ceiling, which is not the first place I would expect a display [emoji1]

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2017

Proton Quick Tips:

Knobs: drag control for coarse adjustments, drag numeric for finer adjustments.
Waveform Display: Click/drag to set/change Position. Shift/click/drag to change Size.
Mod Env: Shift/click to add points. Command/shift/click to delete points. Drag up/down to adjust a line segment's "curve". Command/click to reset a line segment's curve.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information