Proton Granular Synth!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2017

mataya wrote:I like everything about it. GUI is cool, different and sharp. And loading chord samples in this fool is so crazy. Having fun with it, so I guess I should buy it.
Ahhh, but I so want to wait and see what else will be coming up.

tx
M
You got almost 30 days to decide, no hurry.

Probably should have a song contest with this baby, if enough folks are interested… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

25 Jan 2017

hamzter wrote:
selig wrote:If it was up to me, and possible to do so, I'd add a knob that dials through all possible colors so you can choose your own… ;)
This is where the inspiration for the LoveOne GUIs come from:

I'm old enough to having programmed computers like this and be nostalgic about it... Which is probably why I just *love* their design.

/G
Ahhh I getcha! Hmm, I think maybe just try a different texture for the surrounding casing then. Give it a little wear and tear at the edges so it looks like a "thing", rather than just a grey texture :) All just opinion/taste, of course. It doesn't really have any bearing on how the thing works! It's just that little added cool factor. But I understand a little more where you're coming from now!

fceramic

25 Jan 2017

I might be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the direction of the emitters. That's a pretty important feature in a granular synth. :?
Of course I can just reverse the sample, but would be pretty handy.

parma

25 Jan 2017

Am I missing a way to control the speed of the emitter?

dvdrtldg

25 Jan 2017

mataya wrote:I like everything about it. GUI is cool, different and sharp. And loading chord samples in this fool is so crazy. Having fun with it, so I guess I should buy it.
That's kind of how I feel. Excited by the look of this but also feel like it's early days, and the shop is about to be flooded with amazing new devices or updates to existing ones

On the other hand, $55 to support this developer seems like money well spent

electrofux

25 Jan 2017

Love this Synth.

But i just need the names of the available remote items. I understood because of the custom displays you cant rightclick and automate (thats how i normally find out the remote items names when the devs forget to provide the remote maps) but there are still remote items for codecs, are there?

Karim
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
selig wrote:
aRiver wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:In Proton, is everything automatable with a right click like with most Reason devices? I'm asking because with Vibro you couldn't do that with most controls if I remember correctly.
Just came in to ask the same question, as it seems you can't automate anything at the moment.

You can automate everything in both Vibro and Proton, and access them all from a Combinator as well. But you cannot right-click to access the automation. You must access the controls from the sequencer since these devices use custom displays.
Ok, thanks.
That's alright I suppose. But I'm not gonna lie, I would personally prefer the right click automation alternative even if it means the synth taking up more space. I was kind of fascinated by Vibro when it came out, but to be honest I haven't used it much because of the workflow with all the different windows/menues and not being able to automate with the right click.

I know it might seem like unimportant as long as all the options are there but a particular workflow can determine whether something becomes a go to device or whether it ends up being ignored most of the time.

Of course I can only speak for myself, perhaps other people don't care at all.

Sorry for being a downer. I think we all appreciate the device and what it offers. It's kind of a big deal so that's why I want to give the honest feedback. Please don't take it as being ungreatful.
I take really seriously the 'right click' to arm an automation. It make really the difference between Reason and other traditional Daws (let's say Logic or Cubase ) and it is a huge time saver!
selig wrote:

tx
M

Probably should have a song contest with this baby, if enough folks are interested… ;)

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

aRiver

25 Jan 2017

selig wrote:

tx
M

I think it will be a great welcome step into a new era of Reason :)

hamzter
RE Developer

26 Jan 2017

Hi,
electrofux wrote:But i just need the names of the available remote items. I understood because of the custom displays you cant rightclick and automate (thats how i normally find out the remote items names when the devs forget to provide the remote maps) but there are still remote items for codecs, are there?
Names attached! I'll make sure they are in the manual too.

Best regards,
Gustav
Attachments
proton_remote_list.txt
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

hamzter
RE Developer

26 Jan 2017

fceramic wrote:I might be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the direction of the emitters. That's a pretty important feature in a granular synth.
Added to the TODO list. Thank you!

Best regards,
Gustav

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2017

My Song Comp entry is in and I have never had so much fun using samples.

Cool synth Gustav

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

electrofux

26 Jan 2017

hamzter wrote:Hi,
electrofux wrote:But i just need the names of the available remote items. I understood because of the custom displays you cant rightclick and automate (thats how i normally find out the remote items names when the devs forget to provide the remote maps) but there are still remote items for codecs, are there?
Names attached! I'll make sure they are in the manual too.

Best regards,
Gustav
Thank you!

platzangst

26 Jan 2017

This gets my money. I have been jonesing for this kind of stuff since REs were introduced.

dana

26 Jan 2017

Its a bit of a cpu killer when using playing multiple long release notes (or rapid-fire retriggering)

Apart from that, its really amazing!

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2017

dana wrote:Its a bit of a cpu killer when using playing multiple long release notes (or rapid-fire retriggering)

I've noticed that too in extreme cases, but to be honest the sounds you can create are so sonically 'dense' that it's not often I'd want to trigger that many voices because it seems to be sonic overkill in most cases IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2017

buddard wrote:Actually, it's not even necessary to create automation lanes manually, neither in the sequencer nor via right-clicking widgets! Just start recording, and automation lanes will be created automatically for all controls that you move, regardless if you're moving "hardware" controls or custom display controls.

If you want to draw the automation manually it's a different story, of course, but you can still use the above technique to create the automation lanes, and then you can draw the data you want afterwards. It will often be quicker to do this than to find the relevant parameter in the list.
Thanks, that's a great tip. I'm sure I've heard about it before but I had completely forgotten about it.

dvdrtldg

26 Jan 2017

Haven't had the chance yet to properly sit down with this one, but for now I can say that it's the first synth in Reason where every single patch makes me go WOAAAAAHHHHHHH

Loque

26 Jan 2017

Might be a stupid question, but i had Proton in a Combinator with a loaded sample and wanted to save the Combinator patch. Than i received a error message regarding song-plus settings, telling me to extract the sample. How can i save a patch with my own sample loaded?
Reason12, Win10

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2017

That just means that the sample hasn't been saved outside of the Reason file and you want to save the Patch, therefore the Sample needs to be an actual file on your HDD.

RT(f)M on Sample loading and saving and you are set. Pretty easy stuff. Oh and always say yes to rendering the sample if you have done crossfades etc.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Loque

26 Jan 2017

Benedict wrote:That just means that the sample hasn't been saved outside of the Reason file and you want to save the Patch, therefore the Sample needs to be an actual file on your HDD.

RT(f)M on Sample loading and saving and you are set. Pretty easy stuff. Oh and always say yes to rendering the sample if you have done crossfades etc.

The sample was on the HD. So, that means i cannot directly save it within a patch. The same shit for eXpanse. Realy bad IMO.

I got the solution. I have to un-select the sample, than i can save the patch. But, the sample is not within the patch. Weird stuff... So, Benedict, your help was not realy helpful.
Reason12, Win10

Faastwalker

26 Jan 2017

selig wrote:
dana wrote:Its a bit of a cpu killer when using playing multiple long release notes (or rapid-fire retriggering)

I've noticed that too in extreme cases, but to be honest the sounds you can create are so sonically 'dense' that it's not often I'd want to trigger that many voices because it seems to be sonic overkill in most cases IMO.
Excellent sounds, Dana. Really love this ;)

I agree with Selig. Some of the more dense sounding patches that come with this get quite messy with more than 1 note even! There's so much going on & with the effects section it can sound a bit overwhelming & messy. Some of the patches have blown me away. The sounds are indeed unique to Reason, as is the device. Some extremely interesting possibilities here. Very cool.

I'm a big fan of the LoveOne RE's. I bought them all up to Vibro, which I love but have not yet pulled the trigger on. I have to say though that I really don't like the GUI's on Vibro or Proton. I can appreciate what the developer is trying to achieve from the inspiration image posted earlier. But I don't think they work very well. It looks like two totally different ideas rather crudely spliced together.

I do appreciate that the look is in keeping with the original LoveOne devices. I think Neutron & the Chaotic Signal Generator look spot on. But having that style with the computer display style controls is less successful for aesthetic & practical purposes. Apologies for sounding like a finicky whinger! But I think such incredible devices deserve equally incredible GUI's. Personally I think the GUI as important as any other aspect of the device.

Now ............. back to Proton experiments. This is going to be a lot of fun :D

Marc64

26 Jan 2017

I love Proton(playing for hours figure out each knob what they do) even though improvements could be made :)
Dont know if it is my computer but when I have lots of stuff going on with the granual stuff the knobs is slow to turn, It doesnt flow smoothly like when we tryed logged reason betas.
Is it possible to make so the granual movements on the sample display moves more smoothly? or is it my computer.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2017

Loque wrote:So, Benedict, your help was not realy helpful.
So with that attitude, I will probably not even try to help next time.

Geez what the hell is wrong with people.

:(
Benedict Roff-Marsh

MannequinRaces

27 Jan 2017

Very excited to finally have a granular synth in Reason. Love the GUI. To the developer, please stick to your vision. This really opens up the door even more for sound design in Reason. Great time to be a Reason user.

"Product should be a dictatorship, not consensus-driven. There are casualties, hurt feelings, angry users. But all of those things are necessary if you’re going to create something unique." - https://techcrunch.com/2010/05/12/diggs ... on-things/

hamzter
RE Developer

27 Jan 2017

Hi,
Loque wrote:But, the sample is not within the patch. Weird stuff... So, Benedict, your help was not realy helpful.
The SDK is designed in such a way that Rack Extension patches can only refer to samples. There is currently no way to store the actual sample data inside the patch.

Best regards,
Gustav

• Information