Meet RYMCast! And the team behind it and the RYM2612

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ReasonTalk

24 Jan 2017

In October, Mathieu Demange released the RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer Rack Extension, an emulation of the Yamaha YM2612 soundchip, best known for being the vibrant voice of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive videogame console. Recently, he teased us with RYMCast (now in public beta), a VGM player for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive videogame music files capable of exporting patches to the RYM2612. The ReasonTalk team had the opportunity to discuss this exciting news and more with Mathieu and his teammate in design, William Lamy (Willbe).

Read the article here!

platzangst

25 Jan 2017

Oh dear god - if the "mythic sampler" mentioned is the Ensoniq Mirage I will just throw double fistfuls of money at the man.

dioxide

26 Jan 2017

platzangst wrote:Oh dear god - if the "mythic sampler" mentioned is the Ensoniq Mirage I will just throw double fistfuls of money at the man.
Agreed that would be great, but he did use the word "effect":
that I’ll try to put into an effect
I'd rather see a full sampler instrument device also.

platzangst

26 Jan 2017

dioxide wrote: Agreed that would be great, but he did use the word "effect":
that I’ll try to put into an effect
I'd rather see a full sampler instrument device also.
And how nice that sample loading is now possible! So if they have plans for an effect, perhaps they can spin that into an instrument.

Still, I used a Mirage for many years, and though you could do some interesting things if you had the Advanced Sampling OS floppies, I don't recall there being anything so unusual just in sampling-based features that couldn't be covered with a Reason stock device and editors. After that, there's the issue of the Mirage's memory, longer sample times resulting in aliasing, and then the analog filters, both of which could be replicated as an effect. If the goal is just to make a bit of audio sound like it came out of a Mirage, then effects would be sufficient.

Of course, it might be some other legendary sampler, too, so...

• Information