Please develop a tilt EQ RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

21 Jan 2017

Lot of discussion going on about such EQs. I must say, i never used a tilt EQ and i dont think i ever will, but I just tried to build one, also including dynamic control. So, here it is. All made of stock or free devices. Tell me, what you think.
Attachments
Tilt EQ with dynamic control.zip
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Reason12, Win10

sdst
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2017

I have this backdrops if you are interested.lol

Loque

21 Jan 2017

sdst wrote:I have this backdrops if you are interested.lol

Looks good. Feel free to edit the Combinator and post your result.
Reason12, Win10

O1B

21 Jan 2017

Just had a look... no sound.. and

-I didn't download the TMA-4, but Im guessing it's that notepad thing.
- FREQUENCY as a crossover - check. but this is where using the shelf and Para can lead to a smoother 'line'.
-Your GAIN knob at the Tilt Point makes sense. The Button could be used to invert the Tilt, or invert one one side of the tilt, etc. Nice.
- Your Q Knob is Very interesting . Varying the linear nature of the tilt is not something I thought of.
- Ill have to try out your "GAIN MIXER" when i get up for coffee.

Nice one. now do one with the GC-7, pleeeeeezzzzzzzz.

Loque wrote:Lot of discussion going on about such EQs. I must say, i never used a tilt EQ and i dont think i ever will, but I just tried to build one, also including dynamic control. So, here it is. All made of stock or free devices. Tell me, what you think.

normen

21 Jan 2017

O1B wrote: If a proper tilt Is "MAGIC" to you... so be it. Softube and I, disagree.
Exactly, Softubes plugin is a great example of a Tilt EQ and it has no magic, just combined high and low shelf in one knob plus a few other features like a high and low pass, all requiring only 4 knobs and 4 buttons - just like a Combinator has. Glad we finally agree.

Loque

21 Jan 2017

O1B wrote:Just had a look... no sound.. and

- FREQUENCY as a crossover - check. but this is where using the shelf and Para can lead to a smoother 'line'.
-Your GAIN knob at the Tilt Point makes sense. The Button could be used to invert the Tilt, or invert one one side of the tilt, etc. Nice.
- Your Q Knob is Very interesting . Varying the linear nature of the tilt is not something I thought of.

Loque wrote:Lot of discussion going on about such EQs. I must say, i never used a tilt EQ and i dont think i ever will, but I just tried to build one, also including dynamic control. So, here it is. All made of stock or free devices. Tell me, what you think.
No sound? Gotta check that as soon as iam back home.

TMA is used to provide some explanation and hints.

The tilt flips if you you change the Gain knob. Center position is no change, left and right switches the tilt withs gain. That is explained in the TMA :-)

The gain mixer was required for signal inversion, so you can attenuate or boost depending on the dynamic input. Note, that if you flip the tilt you need to flip the knob of the dynamics to have the same effect. Also explained in the TMA.

I wanted to use free devices. But changing the EQ shouldnt be too hard. I gonna check that asap.
Reason12, Win10

Karim
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2017

wooooowww nice one! thx Loque...

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

O1B

21 Jan 2017

no no! i just never used any audio. You're combo's all good. In fact, its an awesome starter.
Why aren't you developing REs, Loque? Your posts says to me you have a lot of Great Ideas/Knowledge.
Loque wrote:

The tilt flips if you you change the Gain knob. Center position is no change, left and right switches the tilt withs gain. That is explained in the TMA :-)

The gain mixer was required for signal inversion, so you can attenuate or boost depending on the dynamic input. Note, that if you flip the tilt you need to flip the knob of the dynamics to have the same effect. Also explained in the TMA.

I wanted to use free devices. But changing the EQ shouldnt be too hard. I gonna check that asap.

O1B

21 Jan 2017

so , now it's "just combined high and low shelf in one knob" PLUS "a few other features " You just Lost one.
Im not trying to insult the precious 4 knob 4 button Tilt Combi with 1 button and no precision. Your combi is safe, Normen.

Give it a rest, please. We're back to productive conversations about it. Your feelings are noted and immortalized. "Juzt a few nobs n buttons"
yeah.. i get it.
normen wrote:
O1B wrote: If a proper tilt Is "MAGIC" to you... so be it. Softube and I, disagree.
Exactly, Softubes plugin is a great example of a Tilt EQ and it has no magic, just combined high and low shelf in one knob plus a few other features like a high and low pass, all requiring only 4 knobs and 4 buttons - just like a Combinator has. Glad we finally agree.

normen

21 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:Haha it worked. I dragged a Thor on, dragged the TiltEQ Combi over the top of it and it worked. It automatically wired itself to it. So CombiFX work the same as normal effects when you just drag them on then?
Actually you can just drag it into the effects section of the mix channel and control it directly from the SSL mixer. Thats the cool thing about the FX section, its effectively "just" a combinator thats in the mixer by default. And thats the cool thing about Reason that we can just develop and share such things ;)

Karim
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2017

normen wrote:
Creativemind wrote:Haha it worked. I dragged a Thor on, dragged the TiltEQ Combi over the top of it and it worked. It automatically wired itself to it. So CombiFX work the same as normal effects when you just drag them on then?
Actually you can just drag it into the effects section of the mix channel and control it directly from the SSL mixer. Thats the cool thing about the FX section, its effectively "just" a combinator thats in the mixer by default. And thats the cool thing about Reason that we can just develop and share such things ;)
it can be adressed to the aux chain and used in PRE instead to use in insert on the channel? I usually do it with pulverizer to benefit "dirt" option on more channels on choice. Make sense?

FOLLOW Karim Le Mec

Loque

21 Jan 2017

O1B wrote:no no! i just never used any audio. You're combo's all good. In fact, its an awesome starter.
Why aren't you developing REs, Loque? Your posts says to me you have a lot of Great Ideas/Knowledge.
Loque wrote:

I was thinking about it... I have 25 years experience in coding, not that much in audio processing, but hey, we have Google :-D but the Company stuff from PH prevents me from doing it tbh...
Reason12, Win10

normen

21 Jan 2017

Karim wrote:it can be adressed to the aux chain and used in PRE instead to use in insert on the channel? I usually do it with pulverizer to benefit "dirt" option on more channels on choice. Make sense?
It could but the effect of an AUX send is quite different than an insert. Plus sends work the same for all instruments that you send there. And the purpose of a tilt EQ is to apply different tilts to different parts to balance out lows/highs between the parts.

Using a distortion send isn't a good idea either imo, when you send a new channel to it it will change the sound of the channels you already sent there. But if it works for you by all means do it!

Loque

21 Jan 2017

Here is the GQ-7 version. Note, that i did not used the same "sweet spot", but this can be adjusted in the modulation matrix of the Combinator for the first knob, that is routed to the band 1 and 5 of GQ7. Due to the lack of modulation possiblities and knobs, i did not added a "sweet spot" control to make the flip point "wider". Feel free to anoy PH to improve the Combinator.

Also added a HPF and LPF button, that changes according to the frequency a little bit.

No boosting mids or cutting bad frequencies added, because the mod matrix in the Combinator was full. Also i did not added the "auto gain compensation" of GQ7.
Attachments
Tilt EQ by GQ7 with dynamic control.zip
(58.3 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Reason12, Win10

Karim
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2017

normen wrote:
Karim wrote:it can be adressed to the aux chain and used in PRE instead to use in insert on the channel? I usually do it with pulverizer to benefit "dirt" option on more channels on choice. Make sense?
It could but the effect of an AUX send is quite different than an insert. Plus sends work the same for all instruments that you send there. And the purpose of a tilt EQ is to apply different tilts to different parts to balance out lows/highs between the parts.

Using a distortion send isn't a good idea either imo, when you send a new channel to it it will change the sound of the channels you already sent there. But if it works for you by all means do it!
Thx Normen. I'll use singularly where it needs [emoji6]

FOLLOW Karim Le Mec

Abstrax

21 Jan 2017

Loque wrote:Here is the GQ-7 version. Note, that i did not used the same "sweet spot", but this can be adjusted in the modulation matrix of the Combinator for the first knob, that is routed to the band 1 and 5 of GQ7. Due to the lack of modulation possiblities and knobs, i did not added a "sweet spot" control to make the flip point "wider". Feel free to anoy PH to improve the Combinator.

Also added a HPF and LPF button, that changes according to the frequency a little bit.

No boosting mids or cutting bad frequencies added, because the mod matrix in the Combinator was full. Also i did not added the "auto gain compensation" of GQ7.
Cool Combi Thanx. Whats the advantage of making it a dynamic eq?

Loque

21 Jan 2017

Abstrax wrote:
Loque wrote:Here is the GQ-7 version. Note, that i did not used the same "sweet spot", but this can be adjusted in the modulation matrix of the Combinator for the first knob, that is routed to the band 1 and 5 of GQ7. Due to the lack of modulation possiblities and knobs, i did not added a "sweet spot" control to make the flip point "wider". Feel free to anoy PH to improve the Combinator.

Cool Combi Thanx. Whats the advantage of making it a dynamic eq?
Well, if you boost and get too much gain, the sound is overdriven. But you can remove it, because the GQ7 has a auto gain feature. The dynamic EQ comes original from the MClass EQ version. You coul also try to build your own auto gain btw...

In the final version of the tilt EQ i added buttons to change the attack and release of the dynamic section, so you can smooth the attack and have a louder decay - its a bit like a envelope/transient shaper as a EQ version. Has nice effects on hihats.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

21 Jan 2017

So, here is the final version: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7498703
Reason12, Win10

alex

21 Jan 2017

Damn, man! This combi patch is absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing! :thumbs_up:
I'm thinking to add a dry/wet feature to it using the free Morfin XF crossfader controlled via modwheel, but I'm not sure if it would makes sense at all, I mean if it would be the same as reducing the gain knob or something different...
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Loque

21 Jan 2017

alex wrote:

Damn, man! This combi patch is absolutely brilliant! Thanks for sharing! :thumbs_up:
I'm thinking to add a dry/wet feature to it using the free Morfin XF crossfader controlled via modwheel, but I'm not sure if it would makes sense at all, I mean if it would be the same as reducing the gain knob or something different...
I am a big fan of dry/wet, but i cannot recommend this here. The EQ introduces latency and the final mixed signal will have phasing. To compensate this you have to rebuild the device chain for the dry signal as well. Too bad, that Reason doesnt compensate this.

But you are in the right direction. The gain control in combination with the dynamic control is enough here. If the shelf slopes are too much, just dont use it and add your own filter.
Reason12, Win10

Reasonistas
RE Developer

22 Jan 2017

I created another Combinator skin in case anyone cares to map the 4 rotaries and 4 buttons to do exactly what the Softube plugin device does (if possible). The only button I omitted was the 12 dB/Oct button for the HP rotary.
Softube Tonelux Tilt.png
Softube Tonelux Tilt.png (127.35 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Softube Tonelux Tilt Combi Skin.png
Softube Tonelux Tilt Combi Skin.png (65.08 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Softube Tonelux Tilt Combi Skin Demo.png
Softube Tonelux Tilt Combi Skin Demo.png (79.31 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Last edited by Reasonistas on 22 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

O1B

22 Jan 2017

Really awesome stuff. Great to see the interest in Tilt filters. They are very effective tools, despite the naysayers.
I also think that Normen and Selig only had the Tonelux as reference Points. Actually, there are a few.

Not bad ... leaving off only one fx from the ToneLux. Nice.
Drawing from Loque's ideas/add-ons (dynamic control), Variable Q, and Tilt inversions, would make for a respectable RE.

now, if the designer would consider adding LPF and HPF Resonance, we'd be off the the Races:

Even Fab-Filter is getting some. And, they're an unquestionable Software Development Team.
"The Tilt setting tilts the measured spectrum around 1 kHz with a specified slope, expressed in dB per octave. The default setting of 4.5 dB/oct results in a natural looking spectrum, resembling best how loudness is perceived by the human ear."

"Pro-Q 2 does contain a "Tilt Shelf" filter type, or is this not what you mean? We've decided not to pursue "vintage" filter types with Pro-Q 2, focusing on clean EQ'ing instead. But maybe in a future release. :-)"
Cheers, Frederik (FabFilter)

Response: "That's exactly what I am asked for. Thanks Frederik."

O1B

22 Jan 2017

FYI, the RRS' RE3Q is damn tilt@y!
Sub and 40 Hz.... with this you either tilt up the Sub, 40 and 160 - or tilt it down.
Massive Power in that EQ. I can only imagine the Power in the actual 18v EQ4M:
but at $2,500, I'll have to wait.

O1B

23 Jan 2017

Bump On Tilt Control.... :exclamation: Gotta dispel the misinformation around here :exclamation:

from Tonelux:
"Actually, it is the most useful thing I have ever done. It clears up everything you put it on. Just a little, maybe 1 or 2 dB is enough.

The original design was a way to provide the HI-FI listener with a tone control without having a tone control, so they could say that it didn't have a tone control... The TILT allowed a little adjustment without being drastic.

"keep it simple, stupid" as they say. I am also using it for the side chain of a compressor. It works well there too."

"Think about a constant and varying phase shift across the passband instead of a series of random ones. Gotta sound good!"

"The original market for the tilt control was home listeners whose primary concern was the music; it offered a gentle compensation for mild variations in balance from LP to LP. Actually not a bad idea, and perhaps useful in recording too."

Peace,
Paul Wolff, ToneLux

"esteemed audio guru"

as far as Normen's statement "Theres no hidden magic".... :mrgreen: I totally Agree. :mrgreen:

MarkTarlton

24 Jan 2017

thanks! also I appreciate your non-partisan approach :)

• Information