Any decent Chorus units ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
SWEAT1984

03 Jan 2017

Hi i like the Unison in Reason however I find some of the stock Chorus plugins in other DAWs sound better, is there any good vintage (think JUNO) chorus' for Reason ? i tried the free Khz one but wasn't too impressed.

Catblack

03 Jan 2017

Chenille. You should search the forum here and see what people say, and also try it out. I had to get it almost as soon as I ran through the presets when I tried it. And you'll find plenty of people recommending it.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2017

I use the stock Red Chorus quite a bit as it has a tight sound (not forced into wide stereo). I have used the kHs unit but it isn't mind-bending. Don't despair tho as there are plenty of options

1. use a pair of the red devils wired in dual-Mono, one for each side of the stereo pair, and the sound is big and wide.

2. use the Thor Chorus (via Audio Ins fed to Filter 3 slot) as it can be fab

3. use The Echo and mix 50:50 with a very short ms time and LFO to taste.

4. or do the same with a pair of dual-Mono DDL-1s and use a Pulsar wired thru a Combi to mod time.

5. the AirRaid Audio Essentials Chorus is rather nice and gets a lot of play with me, esp on the Parallel mode. I esp like the ability to control the stereoness.

I also build choruses with JPs Titus or Essentials S-Delay + Pulsar. If you care to put in the time, zvork's LeSpace can create some warm space.

If you want that Juno 106 Chorus then understand how it is made. I have done it is few times using tempo sync on Pulsar to have four LFOs with each set 90 degrees off the one before. That gives a unison type sound instead of the swirly thing. Chenille should do that pretty well.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jfrichards

03 Jan 2017

i really like this little dude but it's really expensive:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/khs-chorus/
What don't you like about it?

Loque

04 Jan 2017

I like Synapse chorus, from gentle to aggressive it has a very good sound.
Reason12, Win10

raymondh

04 Jan 2017

Chenille is the closest I've heard to the chorus on my JX-8P / JU-06. Not quite there, but very good.

The thing about the Roland chorus is it has a massive impact on the sound. It isn't enhancing the sound, it fundamentally changes it.
The downside is that it can make the patches a wee bit "samey".

If you use Chenille and want the Roland effect, use it as an insert effect and there is a folder called "Chenille Insert Patches" with a patch called "Jupiter Dual Chorus 1". Use that, with a very wet mix.

Olivier

04 Jan 2017

Chenille fits all my chorus needs.. Incredibly versatile and huge amounts of control to dial in delicately.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Bloma

04 Jan 2017

I'll third the Chenille. I use it on most songs these days.

O1B

04 Jan 2017

Im guessing you KNOW the sound you're looking for. And, I understand that the lil Red one won't do.
IMO, the Controls on the Chorus effect ALSO Matters to getting the MOST out of it.

Nice free VST: The separate DRY/WET and Spread Knob are missing from Synapse DC-2
Nice $100 Analog. Not TRUE Chorus, but the Track really Pops out. And, Peep the 2-band EQ.

The Synapse DC-2 cuts through for Guitar/VOX. I'd wish for more controls (Spread, SHAPE, sep DRY/WET).. the 'RATE?' is a bit too predictable to be 'natural' but can still work well in the mix.
IMO, a Great Chorus ... Chenille Complete Clean Chorus Control. WAVE, Unison, Detune, filter, SICK!!!
It just needs a TITUS version for simplicity and CPU for early Mixes.

It probably helps to have a few choices./options. Trialling is Free.

svenh

04 Jan 2017

Chenille, echobode, khs chorus, synapse chorus are all very good. Trial them out and you will have a hard time to choose between them! :-)

Vince-Noir-99

04 Jan 2017

Don't forget Pulveriser! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Set Tremor to modulate the Frequency in Comb mode, at low Hz. Peak will set the feedback amount. Make two of those, decoupled from each other for stereo :)

Voyager

04 Jan 2017

And what you guys think about the Thor chorus ?

lecafard

04 Jan 2017

Chenille is pure warm.

Loque

04 Jan 2017

Voyager wrote:And what you guys think about the Thor chorus ?
Its nice, thats it. Compared to Synapse the sound is weak.
Reason12, Win10

Social Exodus

04 Jan 2017

Chenille is all the chorus I need, and then some.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Faastwalker

04 Jan 2017

Another vote for Chenille. It's awesome & very creative if you want to get into it, loads of excellent presets if you don't.

Creativemind

05 Jan 2017

I know it's not for Reason, it's a vst but thought I'd let you know as it's free.

You could try the Classic Chorus too. I don't know how good it is particularly but sounds good to me.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=490
Attachments
Classic Chorus.PNG
Classic Chorus.PNG (43.55 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Marco Raaphorst

05 Jan 2017

I love the Thor Chorus (TC like imo) and Pulveriser

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2017

I tried to think of a good chorus to recommend and then I suddenly realized that I pretty much never use any chorus. Maybe I use it in about 1 in 20 songs. I haven't even thought about that until this thread. I think it has to do with my experience with the choruses in some synths, like Thor, Zero and others. It just seems like chorus tends to make any sound less powerful and distinctive. Didn't like the Reason stock chorus either.

But maybe I've discarded the effect too early. Listening to some demos in the shop it seems you can do some wild things. I should explore the world of chorus effects more. I already own a couple of them, especially if you include synth choruses that can be used as send effects.
Which one(s) of these should I start with. I own these (inculding choruses in synths) so let's start there:

kHs Chorus
Synapse DC-2 Dual Chorus
Expanse
JPS Harmonic Synthesizer (if I remember correctly, I think I actually liked this one)
CF-101 Chorus Flanger in Reason

eXode

05 Jan 2017

Obviously Chenille is the mother of all choruses.
Reason CF-101 is great for mono -> stereo.
Uhbik-F is great for both mono and stereo signals if you set it up properly
Echobode

SWEAT1984

05 Jan 2017

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I trialled Chenille ............WOW - awesome sound and such control!

Faastwalker

05 Jan 2017

SWEAT1984 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I trialled Chenille ............WOW - awesome sound and such control!
It's about to get a face lift as well. I love it as it is but I think the purpose of the GUI update is to make programming more intuitive with an improved layout. I think it's a paid update for $9.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2017

Bloma wrote:I'll third the Chenille. I use it on most songs these days.
Another vote from me for Chenille. The Dimension D models are imho very useful , providing a subtle versatile effect which works on many sources . The other presets purport to cover many of the classics, and the results are all very useable. The GUI & CV ins offer a huge degree of control.

I would say Echobode by Sonic Charge is definitely worth investigating too. Although I do not have the Rack Extension , the VST has found uses all over my other projects since it eventually got released in that format. Echobode is a versatile effect covering the common modulation effects (chorus, flanging , autopan , phasing) plus many more odd (but useful) effects the like of which I have never heard. I can only imagine with the addition of the control offered by the CV connection within Reason , that the performance of the RE exceeds that of the VST.

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:I know it's not for Reason, it's a vst but thought I'd let you know as it's free.

You could try the Classic Chorus too. I don't know how good it is particularly but sounds good to me.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=490

The suite of VST effects produced by Kjaerhus were among the first plugins I used, all sounded good to me - and all freeware.

Imho the creme of the free devices is a current model from Togu Audio Line , their TAL-Chorus-LX. https://tal-software.comThis emulates the characteristics of the Juno-60 chorus, according to their site. I think it's rather good, as are both their affordable emulations of the the SH 101 and Juno 60 , from which the chorus is taken.

• Information