Rack Extension Suggestions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
KIKBAK1

28 Dec 2016

Hi fellow Reason users, I'm looking for REs that I may of glanced over. My specialty in music creation is Hip Hop & Electronic with some hybrids outside of that. Sometimes full vocal songs or just instrumentals.In most cases, I mix & prepare my tracks for outside mastering, but also master myself. As of late, I've been doing lots of "in the box" mixing but have the option of using my dangerous 2buss for some analog summing.
Ok, So here's what I have in my mind. I'm interested in REs that can do something or a specific job very well, this can be in the mixing stage or the song/track creation stage. Not really looking for something tweaky or deep, just great tools for the toolbox. Looking forward to hearing some good input from the forum, Thx

Here are the REs I already have.

-Synths/Instruments

A-List Guitarist
A-List Electric Guitarist
Redominator
Expanse
Megasaur
Hydronexious
StringWerk
kHs One
Monopoly
Propulsion
Little Lfo
AutoTheory
Ivoks
Predator
Vecto
Nautilus Bass Synth
Antidote
The Legend

-Effects
Audiomatic
Synchronous
Pandemic
RoughRider
Resampler Bit Crusher
RE-2a
Dcam BusComp
Dcam Env Shaper
Etch red
Kuassa- Eq Bundle
Mcdsp C670, E670, Frg-4Re
Buffre
Crapre 1+2
RE 200 Bass enhancer
Softube Saturation Knob
Echobode
PUMP
Synapse DR-1 Deep Reverb, & VE-3 vintage EQ
Last edited by KIKBAK1 on 31 Dec 2016, edited 3 times in total.
KIKBAK1.com

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2016

GQ-7: Should be the stock EQ in Reason, but it isn't. Just the most flexible EQ for Reason. Beats the Mclass EQ in every way: better sound, more EQ bands, better visual feedback. Lots of filter slope options. On sale right now.

Disperser: Does something to the phase of the transients. Makes sounds more snappy an less dull. Super easy to use. Doesn't work for everything, but often enough to own it imo.

Carve EQ Ducker: Can solve EQ problems when two instruments are fighting to be heard in the same frequency range. Makes EQing a lot easier. It sometimes feel a bit like cheating. Just don't overdo it, a little goes a long way.

theshoemaker

28 Dec 2016

Give Nostromo a try. Very versatile Synth. It's a bit daunting in the beginning, but once you start to understand how it works. Especially in combination with PSQ
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

theshoemaker

28 Dec 2016

Here is a short sample of them in action. Would never have come up with a riff like this. I love the creativity of this combo.

KIKBAK1

28 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:GQ-7: Should be the stock EQ in Reason, but it isn't. Just the most flexible EQ for Reason. Beats the Mclass EQ in every way: better sound, more EQ bands, better visual feedback. Lots of filter slope options. On sale right now.

Disperser: Does something to the phase of the transients. Makes sounds more snappy an less dull. Super easy to use. Doesn't work for everything, but often enough to own it imo.

Carve EQ Ducker: Can solve EQ problems when two instruments are fighting to be heard in the same frequency range. Makes EQing a lot easier. It sometimes feel a bit like cheating. Just don't overdo it, a little goes a long way.
GQ 7 has been on my radar. It's the only EQ in the prop shop with 5 stars ( besides Mp5). The only reason I haven't bothered with it is because I do use the SSL eq + the Kuassa eqs and I tend to throw the Synapse 3 band eq on anything sounding too mid-rangey, don't really use the mcdsp 3 band eq much at all.

Is there a specific reason this eq is a must have? I can get a lot done with the stock ssl eqs.

I'll have to give disperser a shot, but didn't hear big differences in the video examples.

Carve seems interesting, maybe able to save me time in the mix, I usually use the ssl eqs to hash out any freq battles, or choose sounds that aren't in the same range when creating.
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

28 Dec 2016

theshoemaker wrote:Give Nostromo a try. Very versatile Synth. It's a bit daunting in the beginning, but once you start to understand how it works. Especially in combination with PSQ
How are the factory presets? Good for HipHop/Electro? It looks interesting just haven't demo'd it yet. There was a time when I would create my own patches etc, I don't mind turning some knobs, but def prefer to have lots of usable sounds ready to go.

Nice electro riff btw!
KIKBAK1.com

theshoemaker

29 Dec 2016

Really can't say a lot about the patches. It's a matter of taste. But you get plenty good ones. In your case I wouldn't care as much about a new synth. eXpanse is a beast. But if you really want to have some unique sound Nostromo is a beauty. The sound above has been a preset with some patch changes using CV with PSQ. If you are not into that modulation stuff, PSQ might be the wrong tool for you, because it's all about CV. As for eXpanse, have a look at the community refill thread over in the patches & refills section. I created a couple new ones. Especially two combinators for electro stuff.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2016

KIKBAK1 wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:GQ-7: Should be the stock EQ in Reason, but it isn't. Just the most flexible EQ for Reason. Beats the Mclass EQ in every way: better sound, more EQ bands, better visual feedback. Lots of filter slope options. On sale right now.

GQ 7 has been on my radar. It's the only EQ in the prop shop with 5 stars ( besides Mp5). The only reason I haven't bothered with it is because I do use the SSL eq + the Kuassa eqs and I tend to throw the Synapse 3 band eq on anything sounding too mid-rangey, don't really use the mcdsp 3 band eq much at all.

Is there a specific reason this eq is a must have? I can get a lot done with the stock ssl eqs.

I'll have to give disperser a shot, but didn't hear big differences in the video examples.

Carve seems interesting, maybe able to save me time in the mix, I usually use the ssl eqs to hash out any freq battles, or choose sounds that aren't in the same range when creating.
Many EQs/REs or the SSL EQ are good for broader strokes. What's good about GQ-7 is the flexibility and ability to be surgical. It can do both wide and narrow Q settings.

Interesting, I think the Disperser changes the sound quite a bit. I do tend to use it in more subtle ways myself though.

Carve is somewhat comparable to a sidechain effect but it behaves smarter, since it's only ducking the frequencies that the other sound has. And you can also adjust what frequency range should be effected.

Anyway make sure you try everything yourself before you buy anything. We're all different when it comes to what tools we like to work with.

Here's an example of where I used Carve. 1:14-1:37. The saw synth is ducking to make way for the voicy synth lead. Everytime the voice lead stops the saw lead gets pushed forward again. It's a good way to make sure the listener hears the most important element.

Another example. 2:14-2:40. The background pad is pushed back with Carve to make way for the lead synth. You don't really hear any effect, but that's the point. It just helps you mix easier.

KIKBAK1

29 Dec 2016

theshoemaker wrote:Really can't say a lot about the patches. It's a matter of taste. But you get plenty good ones. In your case I wouldn't care as much about a new synth. eXpanse is a beast. But if you really want to have some unique sound Nostromo is a beauty. The sound above has been a preset with some patch changes using CV with PSQ. If you are not into that modulation stuff, PSQ might be the wrong tool for you, because it's all about CV. As for eXpanse, have a look at the community refill thread over in the patches & refills section. I created a couple new ones. Especially two combinators for electro stuff.
I'll demo it and see how it feels. Maybe this would be great for my personal stuff. Thanks for your input.
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

29 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote: Many EQs/REs or the SSL EQ are good for broader strokes. What's good about GQ-7 is the flexibility and ability to be surgical. It can do both wide and narrow Q settings.
Just watched a vid about GQ-7, I like the mid/side options. Not that I plan to do any mid side mastering, but I like the way those options alter the sound.
TritoneAddiction wrote: Interesting, I think the Disperser changes the sound quite a bit. I do tend to use it in more subtle ways myself though.
Carve is somewhat comparable to a sidechain effect but it behaves smarter, since it's only ducking the frequencies that the other sound has. And you can also adjust what frequency range should be effected.
I'll give these a demo and check them out.
TritoneAddiction wrote:[
Anyway make sure you try everything yourself before you buy anything. We're all different when it comes to what tools we like to work with.
I bought Pandemic before trying it, I thought it was a cool auto panning device. Maybe I haven't spent much time with it, but it seems more like a stereo chorus type device. Def should of tried first.
TritoneAddiction wrote:[
Here's an example of where I used Carve. 1:14-1:37. The saw synth is ducking to make way for the voicy synth lead. Everytime the voice lead stops the saw lead gets pushed forward again. It's a good way to make sure the listener hears the most important element.

Another example. 2:14-2:40. The background pad is pushed back with Carve to make way for the lead synth. You don't really hear any effect, but that's the point. It just helps you mix easier.
Great tunes!! Can hear the carve working especially on that pad
Last edited by KIKBAK1 on 29 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.
KIKBAK1.com

joeyluck

29 Dec 2016

Effects:
I would check out the kHs Toolbox bundle (and each individually). So much you can do with those.
I also don't see Synchronous on your list. That's a great one to have and still on sale.
And Futzbox! Excellent on solo instruments or on the entire song for intros and transitions.

Synths:
You've got many great ones!
I'd add Nostromo to the list.

challism

29 Dec 2016

As Joey mentioned, Nostromo and Synchronous are definitely worth a try.

Also GSX is on sale right now. I just bought it and have been having a lot of fun with it.
Audiomatic is fantastic!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

KIKBAK1

29 Dec 2016

joeyluck wrote:Effects:
I would check out the kHs Toolbox bundle (and each individually). So much you can do with those.
I also don't see Synchronous on your list. That's a great one to have and still on sale.
And Futzbox! Excellent on solo instruments or on the entire song for intros and transitions.

Synths:
You've got many great ones!
I'd add Nostromo to the list.
That kHs toolbox has so much stuff, I grabbed the reverser & delay. Havent tried any of the others. I do have synchronous, it was included free in a previous update so didn't include in the list. Demo'd Futzbox when it first came out and don't remember it, but its a great price point. Should of grabbed that instead of pandemic.

And another vote for Nostromo :thumbs_up:

Thanks for chiming in!
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

29 Dec 2016

challism wrote:As Joey mentioned, Nostromo and Synchronous are definitely worth a try.

Also GSX is on sale right now. I just bought it and have been having a lot of fun with it.
Audiomatic is fantastic!

Another vote for Nostromo that's 3 :re: I have Synchronous & Audiomatic. GSX seems kind of tweaky, reminds me of the Filter Research stuff. Could be great for change ups. I'll have to demo & see

Thanks for the input!
KIKBAK1.com

sdst
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2016

With all those RE can you do Alien Music

for Hip Hop you Just need kong.

KIKBAK1

29 Dec 2016

sdst wrote:With all those RE can you do Alien Music

for Hip Hop you Just need kong.

Lol, I don't use Kong. Redrum all day!
KIKBAK1.com

WongoTheSane

29 Dec 2016

KIKBAK1 wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:Give Nostromo a try. Very versatile Synth. It's a bit daunting in the beginning, but once you start to understand how it works. Especially in combination with PSQ
How are the factory presets? Good for HipHop/Electro? It looks interesting just haven't demo'd it yet. There was a time when I would create my own patches etc, I don't mind turning some knobs, but def prefer to have lots of usable sounds ready to go.
Might be interesting to note that Lectric Panda has already published 4 free refills for Nostromo, totaling around 8000 patches (on top of the default ones). And I'd recommend it as well.

Arrant
Competition Winner

29 Dec 2016

Looking at that list I'd say you're well covered synth-wise. A surgical EQ like the suggested GQ-7 will suit you well.
You might also want to look into a multiband comp (can also be used as precision filters) and possibly a limiter (e.g. Ozone).
Seems you are also a bit light on distortion, I'd reommend the Devastor.

eXode

29 Dec 2016

I'd say hold back on the synths to be honest. Expanse is incredibly deep, I mean REALLY deep. If there's one synth to master outside of the factory synths Expanse would be it for me. Even during it's development (and after) we discovered things with it that we hadn't considered would be possible during the designing stage.

I'd say take your time and play around with a single oscillator leaving everything else out. Disable the filter, play around with mods, the harmonic editor, and the unison settings. Learn just how versatile that single oscillator can be. :)

KIKBAK1

29 Dec 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
Might be interesting to note that Lectric Panda has already published 4 free refills for Nostromo, totaling around 8000 patches (on top of the default ones). And I'd recommend it as well.
I've downloaded the random generated patches from his site for Thor & Monopoly. Some of the patches are great.
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

29 Dec 2016

Arrant wrote:Looking at that list I'd say you're well covered synth-wise. A surgical EQ like the suggested GQ-7 will suit you well.
You might also want to look into a multiband comp (can also be used as precision filters) and possibly a limiter (e.g. Ozone).
Seems you are also a bit light on distortion, I'd reommend the Devastor.
Tried out the GQ-7 today for a few mins. I'm not really sold on it yet, already have 7 or 8 other EQs to choose from in the rack. But I'll give it some time.

Ozone may be of use, I tend to put limiters/maximizes on single instruments or groups, but never on the master fader.

I'll have to look into devastator. Scream4 gets lots of use though. Really don't use the blamsoft bitcrusher much

Thanks for your response
Last edited by KIKBAK1 on 29 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.
KIKBAK1.com

KIKBAK1

29 Dec 2016

eXode wrote:I'd say hold back on the synths to be honest. Expanse is incredibly deep, I mean REALLY deep. If there's one synth to master outside of the factory synths Expanse would be it for me. Even during it's development (and after) we discovered things with it that we hadn't considered would be possible during the designing stage.

I'd say take your time and play around with a single oscillator leaving everything else out. Disable the filter, play around with mods, the harmonic editor, and the unison settings. Learn just how versatile that single oscillator can be. :)
There was a time when I was deep too, but right now I'm kinda shallow with synths. I spend more time going through patches than making my own. In the same breath, I'm always learning and open to learn the ins & outs of new REs.
KIKBAK1.com

chk071

30 Dec 2016

Sorry for hijacking this thread... but... is it possible to use (bought) rack extensions in the demo version of Reason?
:reason: :rebirth:

joeyluck

30 Dec 2016

chk071 wrote:Sorry for hijacking this thread... but... is it possible to use (bought) rack extensions in the demo version of Reason?
No need to hijack any thread (let alone multiple). You can always create a new thread for your question ;)

I believe your question was answered in another thread.

KIKBAK1

30 Dec 2016

I'm definitely taking advantage of the last day of the sale in the prop shop.

Buy List

-FutzBox

Maybe buying list

-devastor
-GQ-7
-carve
-Ozone
-Disperser

Thanks to all who chimed in!!!
KIKBAK1.com

• Information