px7 vs. fm4

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mataya

03 Dec 2016

I mean is px7 really a 100euro better. I find that fm4 is amazing. It sounds fm. my demo expired on px7 and I did not get much time to spend with it, but I think fm4 is maybe a better solution at this point. 19euro.
If Lectric Panda comes with a randomize refill...who knows what's next in this world.

tx
M

mataya

03 Dec 2016

I just bought the damned thing. It's f* insane!

EdGrip

03 Dec 2016

I think the main point of PX7 is original DX7 patches, and 30,000 other free patches.

FM4 is a slightly more cool synth, I'd say, but the patches are far fewer.

mataya

03 Dec 2016

Yeah, but this is one of those synths that invites you to play with it and it's super easy, but the sound coming out of it is just insane. Those combinator patches with extra effects in a chain just get's me in a super mood. :) again, 19euro ..k'mon

dvdrtldg

03 Dec 2016

There are some great FM4 combi patches on the Primal Audio website, well worth grabbing

mataya

03 Dec 2016

Thanks man. Discovered it by accident while searching for a manual. Great stuff. Synth is really amazing.

Social Exodus

03 Dec 2016

For what little I put into FM synths, the FM4 is way easier for me to wrap my head around.
FWIW
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

GRIFTY

04 Dec 2016

It's no contest IMO, fm4 is way cooler. I wish I could sell px7, I am very dissatisfied by it. And parsec too while we're at it

Emian

04 Dec 2016

So many talk about FM4 s CPU-usage, is it truely that hungry? Blew my trial when it was released....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

mataya

04 Dec 2016

GRIFTY wrote:It's no contest IMO, fm4 is way cooler. I wish I could sell px7, I am very dissatisfied by it. And parsec too while we're at it
Interesting. I don't have them, but I remember Parsec being very capable. Yeah, fm4 is definitely cool.

mataya

04 Dec 2016

Emian wrote:So many talk about FM4 s CPU-usage, is it truely that hungry? Blew my trial when it was released....
I recently got my hands on a i7 - 6700k and 16gb of very fast ram and I could say it eats, but it has plenty to eat.
It's worth it.

Creativemind

04 Dec 2016

EdGrip wrote:I think the main point of PX7 is original DX7 patches, and 30,000 other free patches.

Original DX7 patches, sounds interesting. How many patches is that?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EdGrip

04 Dec 2016

I don't know how many, but there's all the stock patches that are iconic because everyone used them in the 80s because nobody tried to program their own patches because it was a nightmare synth to program for normal people. The same goes for various extension banks that were available at the time. I've been meaning to try replicating some more typical 80s FM instrument patches on the FM4.

PhutureD

04 Dec 2016

mataya wrote:I mean is px7 really a 100euro better. I find that fm4 is amazing. It sounds fm. my demo expired on px7 and I did not get much time to spend with it, but I think fm4 is maybe a better solution at this point. 19euro.
If Lectric Panda comes with a randomize refill...who knows what's next in this world.

tx
M
Cant say which is better but a panda refill of this thing would be awesome:) Played around with a pc clone of a DX7.
The patches come to life once you start modulating a few controls.

dioxide

04 Dec 2016

Im unsure if it is worth the difference in price but Ive got both and i find myself using the PX7 more. I dont know why this is but i think the 6 OPs has something to do with it, i can get some very interesting tones out of it.

joeyluck

04 Dec 2016

dioxide wrote:Im unsure if it is worth the difference in price but Ive got both and i find myself using the PX7 more. I dont know why this is but i think the 6 OPs has something to do with it, i can get some very interesting tones out of it.
Yup. PX7 is one of my favorites. And in comparison, it is much more efficient on CPU, has more operators and algorithms (I enjoy scrolling through these with any of the FM synths), I find PX7 is capable of more complex sounds, the macro sliders are awesome for controlling and handy for quickly discovering new sounds. It's just an easier choice for me. I'd probably use the FM4 more if it was able to convert popular 4 op synth patches. That's another big plus for the PX7—the patch convertor.

RYM2612 is also fantastic and a CPU efficient FM synth. Don't overlook that one! And there's an update for it on the way!

fieldframe
RE Developer

04 Dec 2016

I tend to use PX7 and FM4 for different things. If I'm looking for an FM bass, FM4 tends to be my go-to, while PX7 is the one I use for melody lines, especially plucks. The extra operators and more complex envelopes in PX7 make carefully shaping a pluck's attacks and transients possible, while they just get in the way if I'm trying to make a gritty bass!

Despondo
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2016

Creativemind wrote:
EdGrip wrote:I think the main point of PX7 is original DX7 patches, and 30,000 other free patches.

Original DX7 patches, sounds interesting. How many patches is that?
http://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.ca ... o-30k.html

dioxide

05 Dec 2016

FM4 is based on the TX81Z whch has additional waveforms. The DX21/100 differs from the DX7 in that the modulation and feedback volume is louder on the DX21/100. The DX7 has more envelope parameters.

I don't have any direct experience of these devices in hardware, this is just stuff I have read online, posted here in case anyone is interested. It might be cool to see a PX7 level of quality emulation of the DX100 with a patch convertor. The differences in sound wouldn't be much but I'd buy it. I already have several analogue subtractive REs so it's comparable to have more than one FM synth for different sounds.

joeyluck

05 Dec 2016

dioxide wrote:FM4 is based on the TX81Z whch has additional waveforms. The DX21/100 differs from the DX7 in that the modulation and feedback volume is louder on the DX21/100. The DX7 has more envelope parameters.

I don't have any direct experience of these devices in hardware, this is just stuff I have read online, posted here in case anyone is interested. It might be cool to see a PX7 level of quality emulation of the DX100 with a patch convertor. The differences in sound wouldn't be much but I'd buy it. I already have several analogue subtractive REs so it's comparable to have more than one FM synth for different sounds.
I'd like a PX100 as well :D

Solid Bass on PX7 is very close to the DX100 patch. Some patches are possible when working with different algorithms and not using two operators.

Creativemind

05 Dec 2016

joeyluck wrote: Solid Bass on PX7 is very close to the DX100 patch. Some patches are possible when working with different algorithms and not using two operators.
Ooh Solid Bass, nice!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

dioxide

08 Dec 2016

I've gone back to both FM4 and PX7 tonight. The FM4 sounds harsher and thinner to my ears, probably better suited to plucks and some more trebley pads. The PX7 can be pretty meaty sounding which surprised me as I thought both synths would be more like one another. I'd defintely use the PX7 over the FM4 for bass sounds unless I wanted something that growls in the high frequencies.

Mysterygrimms

08 Dec 2016

One of these devs need to make a DX100 RE, just for the Solid Bass patch alone.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

jonheal

08 Dec 2016

dioxide wrote:I've gone back to both FM4 and PX7 tonight. The FM4 sounds harsher and thinner to my ears, probably better suited to plucks and some more trebley pads. The PX7 can be pretty meaty sounding which surprised me as I thought both synths would be more like one another. I'd defintely use the PX7 over the FM4 for bass sounds unless I wanted something that growls in the high frequencies.
I do like that avatar! It reminds me of me!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

miscend

06 Dec 2017

Does PX7 sound identical to the DX7 when you use converted patches? I just might get it if it does because FM8 just doesn’t cut it especially on more complex patches compared to the real thing.

• Information