px7 vs. fm4

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
seqoi

06 Dec 2017

mataya wrote:
03 Dec 2016
19euro ..k'mon
19 euro where? I see 25? Not that i complain just asking,...

theshoemaker

06 Dec 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
04 Dec 2016
It's no contest IMO, fm4 is way cooler. I wish I could sell px7, I am very dissatisfied by it. And parsec too while we're at it
If I could choose again, I'd go with Zero!
If I'd choose CPU wise ... I go with PX7. Propellerhead device just rock this category!

And while on Parsec. Can't understand your issue. Maybe you don't like the workflow, or how to program it. But once you understand how it works, you can get so many diverse results. I love the easy workflow. I wish they incorporate the Filter from Grain and Europa, as well es the resulting WAVE as an custom display. Love Parsec ... also for its FM modifiers
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

madmacman

06 Dec 2017

If it is only about "using DX7 patches", then since VST support there's another competitor: the free DEXED. Not the most polished UI, but a solid contender for preset playback.

EdGrip

06 Dec 2017

I wish someone would do a refill for FM4.
I haven't tried Dexed, but it's free and loads DX7 patches, so I'd say start there.
So for DX7 imitation/patch playing, there's Dexed, and for modern FM stuff with loadsa CV, there's Zero (and FM4).
It kinda leaves PX7 without a niche. It sounds good, but if Dexed sounds equally good...

electrofux

06 Dec 2017

On my old computer i couldnt really use the FM4 because it eats. On my new one this might not be a problem but there is a big difference in CPU consumption.
FM4 sounds alot more modern if you compare the stock patches. PX7 has this huge library but i wish there was a best of because it is sooo big and there are many redundant and old sounding patches in there. However i bought some refills (eg NEO DX) and here the sound difference gets smaller if not non existant imho.
But if you have a good PC then the price of FM4 is definitly nice and the Synth sounds very good.
Also before i forget, PX7 unlike other REs is limited on the number of remotable items.

Loque

06 Dec 2017

electrofux wrote:
06 Dec 2017
On my old computer i couldnt really use the FM4 because it eats. On my new one this might not be a problem but there is a big difference in CPU consumption.
FM4 sounds alot more modern if you compare the stock patches. PX7 has this huge library but i wish there was a best of because it is sooo big and there are many redundant and old sounding patches in there. However i bought some refills (eg NEO DX) and here the sound difference gets smaller if not non existant imho.
But if you have a good PC then the price of FM4 is definitly nice and the Synth sounds very good.
Also before i forget, PX7 unlike other REs is limited on the number of remotable items.
http://lectricpanda.com/Lectric%20Panda ... %20PX7.rfl
https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.d ... o-30k.html
https://www.propellerheads.se/dx7-px7-converter/
https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

;)
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2017

Big fan of FM4. Just so simple to use and looks cool too. Zero is great as a good sounding preset bank for me, but I hate working with it. Too complex. Still a good synth though, especially if you're a tweaker.
I actually made a 3 track FM4 project for my "one synth EP challenge".

Here's one track I wrote for my FM4 project if anyone is interested in hearing FM4 in a song context and not just patch demos. I went for an old school Prodigy vibe with this one :)

miscend

06 Dec 2017

FM4 was originally written for iPad. If it can run on an old iPad it shouldn’t be that bad.

EdGrip

06 Dec 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Dec 2017

Here's one track I wrote for my FM4 project if anyone is interested in hearing FM4 in a song context
I still love this track. Yes, total Prodigy vibes!

sdst
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2017

fm4 looks better, Easy to use

PX7 FM Synthesizer will end up coming in Reason 13

Reasonable man

06 Dec 2017

Hydelide does a quick tutoril on the FM4 when explaining Fm. I was sold and bought it even though there was nothing off in the sale. Love it . Wavetable syntheseis is so over sold and and at this stage almost cliched. You need a bit of FM sometimes to add complexity to a track . You have to understand Fm Synthesis though just same the same as understanding subtractive . Wavetable synthesis is more of a ' wow man killer sound .....rad...no idea how that happenned i just turned that knob to the left man and hit the Lfo switch'

Marco Raaphorst

06 Dec 2017

Mysterygrimms wrote:
08 Dec 2016
One of these devs need to make a DX100 RE, just for the Solid Bass patch alone.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
I still own a DX100. Always felt like sampling it. It has a very analog engine. Notes on the same velocity with not sound the same. Lively tone :D

ebbhead

07 Dec 2017

miscend wrote:
06 Dec 2017
Does PX7 sound identical to the DX7 when you use converted patches? I just might get it if it does because FM8 just doesn’t cut it especially on more complex patches compared to the real thing.
I tested this when the PX7 first appeared using patches from my TX-802 (rack mount DX7 mk2) - and they sounded identical to my originals - very impressive!

I ended up moving the TX-802 on after transferring my library over to the PX7 - I was that impressed.

amcjen

07 Dec 2017

ebbhead wrote:
miscend wrote:
06 Dec 2017
Does PX7 sound identical to the DX7 when you use converted patches? I just might get it if it does because FM8 just doesn’t cut it especially on more complex patches compared to the real thing.
I tested this when the PX7 first appeared using patches from my TX-802 (rack mount DX7 mk2) - and they sounded identical to my originals - very impressive!

I ended up moving the TX-802 on after transferring my library over to the PX7 - I was that impressed.
Ha! That’s *exactly* what I did—I also have a TX-802 and my patches came over perfectly. Spent an entire weekend using the Props tool to convert internet DX7 patches over to PX7 and made a monstrous Refill for it.

As a result, I’m currently selling a TX-802 if anyone is interested. ;)

-Allison

miscend

08 Dec 2017

Looks like I will be getting PX7. On the next sale. By the way Arturia just anounced their own DX7 clone.

FLVZ

08 Dec 2017

miscend wrote:
08 Dec 2017
Looks like I will be getting PX7. On the next sale. By the way Arturia just anounced their own DX7 clone.
Arturia VSTs are like the chinese fakes of hardware emulation.

Looked at a few comparison videos and their stuff never really shines as bright as others. In this example DIVA does a better job of emulating something it wasn't specifically designed to be than the Arturia variant (which was). Arturia are good for their hardware imo

EdGrip

08 Dec 2017

Flavolous wrote:
08 Dec 2017

On the other hand, you'd assume that a DX7 would be the hardest digital emulation to fuck up.

FLVZ

09 Dec 2017

EdGrip wrote:
08 Dec 2017
Flavolous wrote:
08 Dec 2017

On the other hand, you'd assume that a DX7 would be the hardest digital emulation to fuck up.
I think their problem may have been they were one of the first to do these emulations, so everyone may have used them as a benchmark in the past. Their newer stuff may be of a higher precision especially with more competitors to worry about. Px7 keeps me happy enough, and in general I'll look for the RE before I try and find a VST version...

dvdrtldg

09 Dec 2017

EdGrip wrote:
06 Dec 2017
Have you checked the Primal Audio website? They have a bunch of patches for FM4 there, some of them are excellent

Quiloc Lim

09 Dec 2017

EdGrip wrote:
06 Dec 2017
I haven't tried Dexed, but it's free and loads DX7 patches, so I'd say start there.
So for DX7 imitation/patch playing, there's Dexed, and for modern FM stuff with loadsa CV, there's Zero (and FM4).
It kinda leaves PX7 without a niche. It sounds good, but if Dexed sounds equally good...
Go get them. :-)

http://www.primal-audio.com/presets.html

scratchnsnifff

15 Dec 2017

I haven’t tested this with fm4 or any other other FM synths but I know that when making some sounds on algorithm 17/18 it’s almost like building a sound building it up using multiband FM or something. I can’t truely put words to the concept that I put to use. But as I had an the mix channels graphic EQ, and as I adjusted each knob certain parts of thee spectrum would register. Lows mids and highs I have a few combinator patches that make use of this technique. Even though the px7 seems to be just for the preset people, it really is good at making modern sounds. Maybe one day of the props add it to Reason they could add mini graphic envelope displays. Or have one decently sized graphic envelope and according operator tabs. That’s what I don’t like about the px7 Iv never understood the crazy amount of envelopes I tried watching the dubspot video on it, but the sounds of Chris petti’s dry mouth just made me unable to get past the first minute XD
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information