Index Chord Dictionary in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Socram
RE Developer

24 Nov 2016

Hey guys! Just wanted to announce my new Rack Extension release, Index. It features Reverse Chord Lookup (Chord Detection) and Direct Diatonic Chord Lookup for any given key and scale. A powerful and affordable tool for songwriting and/or keyboardists.

It is currently 40% off and only $9 as an introductory Black Friday special!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ictionary/

Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

TheGuyNotNamedBob

24 Nov 2016

I have been wanting something like this for a long time: the one thing Reason couldn't replicate from Garageband.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

24 Nov 2016

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:I have been wanting something like this for a long time: the one thing Reason couldn't replicate from Garageband.
Just tried it out. One thing I think you forgot to mention (and you should, because it is the number one coolest feature IMO) is the fact that if you connect the Reverse (Tome) out to the note and gate of a synth, then choose tome in the sequencer lane, you can then play tome, and your synth will play along, allowing you to both hear your synth and see the chord.

if this is a bad explanation, just say so and I'll see if I can explain better.

bsp

24 Nov 2016

@Socram: Thanks, this is super useful! (instabuy!)
A minor feature request: Would it be possible to postpone the note off until the mouse button is released AND the fixed hold time has ellapsed (when clicking on a chord to play it). Currently the note durations seems to be fixed.

slightly off-topic:
Your RE reminds me that I always wanted to write a chord designer and seeing/playing with your RE will make this a priority now I guess (mine won't be an RE and it will be just for private use). I'll draw some inspiration from your RE and use it to validate mine :)
I think it would be cool if it were possible to create a list of chords from different keys/scales, select the octave and inversion etc per chord, then trigger chords from that list via MIDI input (already have the list and MIDI trigger thing but chord notes currently have to be entered manually).
Just thinking out loud here, of course (and yea, I am not a real musician and often prefer to construct music rather than play it live, especially complex chord progressions that are difficult to play rhythmically).

Creativemind

24 Nov 2016

A feature I've wanted in Reason for ages. Would be good if it was built in but hey, better than nothing. My only grumble is the graphics could've been a tad better :-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Ottostrom

24 Nov 2016

Two things I would like to be added:
#1. A way to make suspended chords in the chord list on the right.
#2. A way to change what octave individual chords play in when you have an instrument connected.
These features are more geared towards using Index as a song builder, which I think it could be great for.

TheGodOfRainbows

24 Nov 2016

Insta-bought. Static Cling is becoming a household name.

Loque

25 Nov 2016

So does this RE output the correct chords on a key press? And can the played chords be recorded with a Player? How does it respond to notes played (gate length and velocity)?

I cannot test this device actually, so feedback is welcome.
Reason12, Win10

Socram
RE Developer

25 Nov 2016

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback, sorry for the delay, blame the holidays and all :) I appreciate all the kind words, it means a lot.
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:One thing I think you forgot to mention (and you should, because it is the number one coolest feature IMO) is the fact that if you connect the Reverse (Tome) out to the note and gate of a synth, then choose tome in the sequencer lane, you can then play tome, and your synth will play along.
Glad you came across this ha, but I didn't advertise it as it is not technically intended functionality and might not work as expected depending on the situation due to limitations in CV beyond my control. That CV out is intended for my other RE, Tome.
bsp wrote:@Socram: Thanks, this is super useful! (instabuy!)
A minor feature request: Would it be possible to postpone the note off until the mouse button is released AND the fixed hold time has ellapsed (when clicking on a chord to play it). Currently the note durations seems to be fixed.
Yes this and some other features are planned for future and free updates. Some of the ideas you suggested in your offtopic block will be added as well! Can't say which yet...
Ottostrom wrote:Two things I would like to be added:
#2. A way to change what octave individual chords play in when you have an instrument connected.
These features are more geared towards using Index as a song builder, which I think it could be great for.
Both of these are planned features that will be coming in future free updates! I just couldn't contain it for myself anymore and had to release :).

Loque wrote:So does this RE output the correct chords on a key press? And can the played chords be recorded with a Player? How does it respond to notes played (gate length and velocity)?

I cannot test this device actually, so feedback is welcome.
Key presses to trigger direct lookup is also a planned feature. I'm not sure I understand your other two questions in the context of Index.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Loque

25 Nov 2016

It would be nice to record the played chords of your device with a Player, but i think it is not possible now... If i connect Chords & Scales i easily can send the chords to a track...
The other question is, are the note length and velocity send out?
Reason12, Win10

Ottostrom

25 Nov 2016

Socram wrote:
Ottostrom wrote:Two things I would like to be added:
Both of these are planned features that will be coming in future free updates! I just couldn't contain it for myself anymore and had to release :).
Well that makes my decision on whether or not to buy it easy! When I was playing around with Index I quickly realized that THIS is what I wanted Scales & Chords to be. The custom chord list that bsp suggested would definitely be very useful when writing music so I'm hoping for that one as well :)

Ottostrom

25 Nov 2016

Another suggestion I have is on the coloring of the keys. I think it would be easier to see which keys belong to which scale if the black keys were BLACK when they fit. This is my quick edit on how I think C Minor should look:

ImageMine

ImageCurrent

Catblack

26 Nov 2016

I'm buying this. (Edit: And Tome!)

I've been working on an RGB grid controller Remote Codec, and one thing with my various layouts and scales I run into is just not knowing what chord I'm playing. (Which makes the discovery that much more wonderful.)

I'd actually hunted around for a standalone windows program to do this, and I did find a freeware one, but it was a pain to route an external midi instrument to it. (And I can't even remember what the one I'd found was called.)

That you are committed to updating this, is a huge, huge plus.

That said, my feature request is having the ability to color the keys -- consider using a circle of fifths color palette - Red for C, Yellow for B, Blue for G#, Orange for D, Green for F#, Purple for Bb. Like http://orig00.deviantart.net/d906/f/201 ... 28doqc.jpg

I know this is an odd request, but I've been doing this on my grid controller and seeing the various scales and chords relating to hues has been really psychedelic and wonderful. It's not a new idea - here's one from 1915 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavier_% ... i%C3%A8res but having a switch on the back to turn colors on would be just stellar, and really make your RE pop out of the rack.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Socram
RE Developer

26 Nov 2016

Thanks for the support, I'm glad you liked both!

That is an interesting request, I will see what I can do but admittedly it might be a bit specialized and hard to manage with how I use color to communicate various things in both Tome and Index.

There have been some other requests for UI tweaks (including in this thread), and I try to take them all into account, but the majority seem to be happy with the existing system I went with. Some requests simply will not work in certain modes/cases but that is some times hard to communicate to users.

Extended support for these and all future RE releases is something I am taking very seriously, and I'm all ears when it comes to feedback and critiques and do as much as I can to accommodate those who use my RE's. Feel free to reach out with any other ideas and requests!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Mysterygrimms

26 Nov 2016

This is just what I needed to help me with chords. This should of already been built into Reason. Thank you for creating this fantastic RE.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

teddymcw

26 Nov 2016

Socram, I just wanted to Thank You immensely for putting the work into your two REs. They shine the light on so much, and I can't express how much fun and value they've brought. Ride onnn!

Mysterygrimms

26 Nov 2016

How do I play keys on my midi keyboard and also see and hear the chords at the same time, through index chord dictionary, without having to click the mouse on each chord? For instance, I created the Thor instrument and attached the cv/out of ICD to Thor cv/gate in the sequencer control section. When I play thor I don't see any chords visualized through Index Chord dictionary. Or am I not able to do this at all? I only hear the chords and see them visualized when I click my mouse on the actual chords in ICD. Hopefully I wasn't too long winded....
Last edited by Mysterygrimms on 26 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Catblack

27 Nov 2016

Well, perhaps forget my color request. (It's been my psychedelic solution for what note is where on a controller that really has no other way to display things.)

In Index I'd rather not see the word 'Unison' displayed for a single note. I'd also love to see a history from the chord detection, but that's a minor quibble.

But I would like an indication of if I have to scroll left or right in Tome to see a note displayed. (I have a similar issue in my grid controller in that I've enabled playback display among the various layouts and scale modes. So I display the colors of playing notes that aren't on the grid off on some side buttons.)
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Socram
RE Developer

27 Nov 2016

Hey guys, I've been under the weather since release unfortunately, but I made this quick video to answer some FAQs I've been getting, I hope it helps with some of your questions or at the very least you learn some new things about combinators. I figured I'd share it here as it won't be on the store page until some time next week.

www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Mysterygrimms

28 Nov 2016

Socram wrote:Hey guys, I've been under the weather since release unfortunately, but I made this quick video to answer some FAQs I've been getting, I hope it helps with some of your questions or at the very least you learn some new things about combinators. I figured I'd share it here as it won't be on the store page until some time next week.

Thanks your YouTube video answered my question. I don't know why I didn't think to create a combinator. Thank you!!!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

greenson

28 Nov 2016

I bought this today, as I need all the help I can get with theory (bought Tome when it was released)

Thanks to developers like this who make unique and interesting tools for the platform, rather than ANOTHER synth or ANOTHER compressor.

Haven't played with this RE but can it be rigged to determine a songs' scale by what is playing on a sequencer track, or does the user need to be playing keyboard into it to work?

greenson

28 Nov 2016

double post
Last edited by greenson on 29 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

MirEko

28 Nov 2016

Just bought, thanks for a very nice price
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

greenson

29 Nov 2016

Socram wrote:I'm all ears when it comes to feedback and critiques and do as much as I can to accommodate those who use my RE's. Feel free to reach out with any other ideas and requests!
I will say that with Tome, I thought 'geeze that's one UGLY device', but I bought it anyway. I felt exactly the same with your new one as well. If not for the fact that these devices are totally unique and a utility that would help me greatly if I spend more time with 'theory', I would have overlooked them based on appearance. Perhaps you might want to shout out to an amateur graphics developer who's interested in working in the field of plugins to overhaul your future graphics, and add some work to his or her portfolio.

I'd also update Tome to 8 strings for the guitar and six for the bass. In the metal world at least, extended string sets are becoming more common.

• Information