One synth EP Challenge (No competition or prizes - just for fun)

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
aeox
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2017
I feel like this thread kind of died off. Have people given up on their projects? Is everyone busy chasing new VSTs instead of making music? You can use a VST synth for this challenge too you know :)

A lot of music and great comments have been made in this thread, but there's a bunch of EP announcements that hasn't come to fruition.
Some people has their deadline set as far back as january and february, whithout having anything released. I'll give the jan-, feb-, mars-people a week or two to say something. After that I'll just assume that their project is never gonna happen and remove them from the list.

I would still like to encourage more people to join and make a "One synth EP". Come on guys, don't be shy.
Or if you have already finished one EP, to make another one.
i challenge someone to do an EP with VSTspeek 3 by Wavosaur ^.^

Ahornberg

18 Jun 2017

Ok, I'm going to join this challenge.
My synth of choice is Malström :mrgreen:
Release date of my EP will be July 3rd.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Ok, I'm going to join this challenge.
My synth of choice is Malström :mrgreen:
Release date of my EP will be July 3rd.
Awesome. Just added you to the list.

FLVZ

19 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2017
I feel like this thread kind of died off. Have people given up on their projects? Is everyone busy chasing new VSTs instead of making music? You can use a VST synth for this challenge too you know :)

A lot of music and great comments have been made in this thread, but there's a bunch of EP announcements that hasn't come to fruition.
Some people has their deadline set as far back as january and february, whithout having anything released. I'll give the jan-, feb-, mars-people a week or two to say something. After that I'll just assume that their project is never gonna happen and remove them from the list.

I would still like to encourage more people to join and make a "One synth EP". Come on guys, don't be shy.
I saw you hadn't re-added yourself to the list with another EP and assumed you probably wanted the last few people's deadlines to pass and close the thread. I think I'll have a go at Solaris this time, August 19th. Another ViP project though because I'm already trying to finish another project.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2017

Flavolous wrote:
19 Jun 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2017

I saw you hadn't re-added yourself to the list with another EP and assumed you probably wanted the last few people's deadlines to pass and close the thread. I think I'll have a go at Solaris this time, August 19th. Another ViP project though because I'm already trying to finish another project.
Just added you to the list.

No I think it would be fun if the thread managed to stay alive a bit longer, even if I'm not writing music for an EP.

I'm considering whether I should give another synth a go, but I haven't decided if I'm ready to commit to it. And also it's hard to pick a synth to work with. Maybe Snakebite or Red70. Ivoks would be fun too (of course I have to buy it first).
In a way Snakebite would be an interesting choice just because it's such a character synth and no one has picked it yet.

teddymcw

22 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2017

July 9 - Vk-2

Tho only 3 pieces this time : ) and gotta be allowed to use just one cheat, the Parsec key patch 'Nice' that I use on nearly every track

TheGodOfRainbows

25 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2017

I assure you sir Tritone, I AM working, HARD, on my RYM2612 EP. Yes, it's shamefully late, but I'm getting close to finished and I don't want you to give up on this thread. I just have trouble with mix issues: harshness here, not enough or too much bass there, etc. Since it will be the first of any kind of official EP or album I've ever released, I want it to be the best I can do.

Like I said, a big part of the delay is the trouble I have with the mix. One day I'll think I'm almost there, then i listen to the tracks in my car and OUCH it sounds bad and unbalanced. So i go back to the drawing board.

I care about this thread and don't want it to die. Everyone's work is inspiring and interesting and full of character.

I will do my JPHS EP too, but clearly that will be very late too (TBA). But I swear to god it WILL BE DONE.

I think I'll upload a preview today or tomorrow of my songs just to show that I am actually doing something.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
25 Jun 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
18 Jun 2017

I assure you sir Tritone, I AM working, HARD, on my RYM2612 EP. Yes, it's shamefully late, but I'm getting close to finished and I don't want you to give up on this thread. I just have trouble with mix issues: harshness here, not enough or too much bass there, etc. Since it will be the first of any kind of official EP or album I've ever released, I want it to be the best I can do.

Like I said, a big part of the delay is the trouble I have with the mix. One day I'll think I'm almost there, then i listen to the tracks in my car and OUCH it sounds bad and unbalanced. So i go back to the drawing board.

I care about this thread and don't want it to die. Everyone's work is inspiring and interesting and full of character.

I will do my JPHS EP too, but clearly that will be very late too (TBA). But I swear to god it WILL BE DONE.

I think I'll upload a preview today or tomorrow of my songs just to show that I am actually doing something.
Well it's good to know people are still interested in the thread.

I know the feeling regarding getting a mix you're happy with. I try to leave it when I know I've done what I can, even though I hear it's not perfect. Looking forward to your EPs.

I'll leave your EP projects on the list then. But I think you mixed up the deadlines between the two projects, or do you want me to change the dates? Maybe they need an update anyway. Let me know.

TheGodOfRainbows

26 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jun 2017
Well it's good to know people are still interested in the thread.

I know the feeling regarding getting a mix you're happy with. I try to leave it when I know I've done what I can, even though I hear it's not perfect. Looking forward to your EPs.

I'll leave your EP projects on the list then. But I think you mixed up the deadlines between the two projects, or do you want me to change the dates? Maybe they need an update anyway. Let me know.
I've learned something about myself doing this project. I HATE deadlines! I don't want to give you a deadline for the RYM2612 EP, but if I have to then July 7, 2017, but I'll try to release sooner. Very late I know, but I have an album done because of this thread.

I'm going to have to keep the JPHS EP release as TBA, but I'm going to do it.

Here is evidence of my work. Previews of 9 tracks from my album, not including the two songs i entered into the original song challenge that i was going to remix and hopefully improve. Also, I'll have a "bonus" track that is not in the previews, for a total of 12 tracks.

Based on these samples, any and all constructive criticism on how my mix sounds is welcome. I have a hard time finding a balance between clarity and harshness, and I have trouble with bass and drums fitting into the mix. I also do not have compressors fully figured out.

P.S. The first track you hear is the RYM2512 saying 'ooh yeah'. Not a vocoder, just voice synthesis!
Last edited by TheGodOfRainbows on 26 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
26 Jun 2017
I've learned something about myself doing this project. I HATE deadlines! I don't want to give you a deadline for the RYM2612 EP, but if I have to then July 7, 2017, but I'll try to release sooner. Very late I know, but I have an album done because of this thread.

I'm going to have to keep the JPHS EP release as TBA, but I'm going to do it.

Here is evidence of my work. Previews of 9 tracks from my album, not including the two songs i entered into the original song challenge that i was going to remix and hopefully improve. Also, I'll have a "bonus" track that is not in the previews, for a total of 12 tracks.

Based on these samples, any and all constructive criticism on how my mix sounds is welcome. I have a hard time finding a balance between clarity and harshness, and I have trouble with bass and drums fitting into the mix. I also do not have compressors fully figured out.

The mixes sound fine to me. Judging from the short bits you've provided, the tunes sound really cool.

Making a full album I can certainly understand that the project takes time. I would never have the discipline to write an entire album at this point. That's pretty impressive.
Hopefully the deadline made more music happen, even if the feeling wasn't always pleasant.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2017

So I'm gonna be a little crazy here. I'm gonna make 3 tracks with Snakebite, all in 12 days, starting tomorrow. I want to commit to a project and make more music, but I don't want to drag it out forever.

The focus is gonna be on having fun, playing around and see what happens rather than focus on a good end result. With this time limit the tracks might become very short, they might turn to crap. That's ok, as long as I have 3 Snakebite tracks ready to upload on july 12.

I've always been curious what would happen if someone chose Snakebite as their synth since it's a pretty weird, limited character synth.

Wish me luck.

FLVZ

28 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Jun 2017
So I'm gonna be a little crazy here. I'm gonna make 3 tracks with Snakebite, all in 12 days, starting tomorrow. I want to commit to a project and make more music, but I don't want to drag it out forever.

The focus is gonna be on having fun, playing around and see what happens rather than focus on a good end result. With this time limit the tracks might become very short, they might turn to crap. That's ok, as long as I have 3 Snakebite tracks ready to upload on july 12.

I've always been curious what would happen if someone chose Snakebite as their synth since it's a pretty weird, limited character synth.

Wish me luck.
I was very tempted to choose Iridium before I went with Solaris, but I feel I need to actually give Solaris a little bit more attention!

Ahornberg

01 Jul 2017

So here is my EP featuring Malström (and some FX):

Ahornberg

02 Jul 2017

I'm going to do another challenge on SubTractor until July 17th. :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
01 Jul 2017
So here is my EP featuring Malström (and some FX):
Nice work. Another full album. I don't know how you guys do it. I wouldn't have the discipline nor patience to take on such a large project.

Malström really has character. It's easy to overlook Malström with so many other new exciting things screaming for your attention. Maybe I'll dive into it more myself at some point.

Favorite track for me was "Evening". It just had a nice sort of mysterious tone to it.

theshoemaker

04 Jul 2017

Maybe I'm not taking it serious enough right now, because it's a hobby as it is of now. I finished 1 track in the very beginning quite fast. Than had a couple of good 8 bar loops to flesh out. I have a second track almost done, there is a chord progression really off :D which need to be changed, for now I just removed it and put in a simple static arpeggio. For me personally I love to finish a project as a collaboration. I need a wingman, some input, some talk about art, feedback. Whatever it is. Besides that, I learned a lot for my future work, by doing the challenge. For example to stay away from all the fancy shiny new stuff, until there is a real value. Having said that, my next thing will be a 9 upgrade at the end of the year as I really love the players and want to use PSQ V3. And another thing here: I really don't like the updated theme of the forum. I love the desing, but the functionality is gone. The previous one worked far better for my purpose. I'm not here as often as before.

Here are my current uploads of my yet unfinished MonoPoly project: But I'm not going to stop here. It's just I don't care about this deadline thing for a hobby. I know business is curious about deadlines. I'm not! As long as I don't want to make a business out of it.

CAREFULL. The second track is way louder. No mastering done yet.

And I did a remix of a classic with The Legend a month ago Because I needed some distraction from MonoPoly ..
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

teddymcw

09 Jul 2017

Placeholder: gonna need an extra day or two from deadline to finish mixes, was pulled away unexpectedly for work.

Still waiting to get back to this. Apologies for needing to dodge the deadline for another week from now. Just need to find a whole day to mix.

Enjoyed a quick listen to recent posts and def inspirational @theshoemaker, @Flavolous, @Ahornberg can't wait to chill and do thorough listen with reviews when time allows
Last edited by teddymcw on 22 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Jun 2017

Wish me luck.
I think I was a little too optimistic with my deadline. I'll go with july 16 instead of 12.
2 tracks ready. The last track is in the works.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2017

Ok so this will just have to do.
The goal was to write 3 tunes with Snakebite. I've tried to write the third track for a while now, but it just ain't happening. 2 short tracks will have to do for this time around.
Both tracks are totally different by the way, so not much of an EP really. Oh well.

"Cave Adventures" is all Snakebite, even the drums. Lots of sounds drenched in reverb and delays. Most delays comes from Snakebite itself though which has a particular sound to it.

"Pixel Party" is a pretty standard chip music inspired track. Just a simple and catchy little tune. Reminds me of the music in the video game "Party Hard".

Ahornberg

16 Jul 2017

Now my second One-Synth-EP featuring SubTractor is finished:

Ahornberg

24 Jul 2017

My next challenge is:

-= P U L S A R =-

Deadline: August 21.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
24 Jul 2017
My next challenge is:

-= P U L S A R =-

Ok? It's not really how the challenge is supposed to work, focusing on a utility device instead of a synth, but alright I guess. :?

modecca

25 Jul 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jul 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
24 Jul 2017
My next challenge is:

-= P U L S A R =-

Ok? It's not really how the challenge is supposed to work, focusing on a utility device instead of a synth, but alright I guess. :?
The thing happens to double as a pretty bad ass little mono synth actually.
🔗💥

Ahornberg

25 Jul 2017

modecca wrote:
25 Jul 2017
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Jul 2017

Yes, Pulsar is playable by MIDI.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
25 Jul 2017
modecca wrote:
25 Jul 2017

Yes, Pulsar is playable by MIDI.
Alright I didn't know that. Well I'm looking forward to hearing it.

• Information