One synth EP Challenge (No competition or prizes - just for fun)

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Arrant
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2016

CR68 wrote:i choose Thor, deadline: 31. March 2017

for drums i try to use Thor aswell...
Cool, welcome to "Team Thor" :D Let's show those fancy pants what the old warhorse can do :thumbs_up:

theshoemaker

28 Nov 2016

Are you doing all the Drums also with the synth? Thinking about joining, because I only just start and never finish :D
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

CR68

28 Nov 2016

Arrant wrote:
CR68 wrote:i choose Thor, deadline: 31. March 2017

for drums i try to use Thor aswell...
Cool, welcome to "Team Thor" :D Let's show those fancy pants what the old warhorse can do :thumbs_up:
Thanks, but don't except too much. I started today with the first track and it seems it will be a "Krautrock/synth space music" ep. :D

But who knows.....

Wich genre will you choose?

Cheers

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2016

theshoemaker wrote:Are you doing all the Drums also with the synth? Thinking about joining, because I only just start and never finish :D
I'm actually trying that for my EP, but that's certainly not a requirement to participate. Your choice.

You should join. Having a deadline and people holding you accountable will most likely have a great affect on you actually finishing your songs.
You can always write a shorter EP with 3 tracks if it seems overwhelming.

theshoemaker

28 Nov 2016

I'm in with KORG Mono/Poly because I never used it, since getting it for free bundled with Reason 8 ... and the Primal Audio Filters if I feel to, because I love them so much :P. That keeps me focused. And not exploring new stuff :D

Deadline: until 31.01

It's a rough timeline for me, as it's just a hobby right now.

Arrant
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2016

CR68 wrote: Thanks, but don't except too much. I started today with the first track and it seems it will be a "Krautrock/synth space music" ep. :D
But who knows.....
Wich genre will you choose?
Cheers
I'm thinking making of some atmospheric chillout stuff for this challenge. At least that's where my first track is going (I'm waaay ahead of schedule :puf_smile:), and an E.P. should keep to the same genre across all tracks I guess ;)

As for drums, on my end I will approach this as a normal Reasontalk song challenge. Which means only the one synth can be used for synth sounds, but drums, instrumental samples (non-synthesized) and vocal recordings are fair game along with any and all effect plugins that can be found within the Reason environment (i.e. native and RE devices).

Mystile

28 Nov 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:Are you doing all the Drums also with the synth? Thinking about joining, because I only just start and never finish :D
I'm actually trying that for my EP, but that's certainly not a requirement to participate. Your choice.

You should join. Having a deadline and people holding you accountable will most likely have a great affect on you actually finishing your songs.
You can always write a shorter EP with 3 tracks if it seems overwhelming.

Normally I try to use the synth for drums as well in a way to challenge myself and do something new for the challenges, but on this I won't be doing that since I plan to do 4 songs. Styles I don't necessarily have picked out, but I've already got a full theme I'm going with, this has got me semi excited/motivated...lets hope it sticks haha

theshoemaker

30 Nov 2016

Have to postpone mine, because I got sidetracked by my Amazon FBA project. As I don't know how long this will take I'll just say 31.12.2017

MassiveSoundStudios

30 Nov 2016

If the definition of an EP is at minimum 3 songs, I'd be lucky if I could get one done a month. I'd maybe be able to get 3 done in less, only if I reused some of my sounds that I designed with the chosen synth. I'd probably be able to get away with at least reusing my percussion sound design.

My Song Challenge entries for The Legend and Parsec are completely done using only those synths; kicks, snares, cymbals, percussion and all.

They are already finished and were submitted to other challenges, so I'm unsure they wouldn't qualify for this challenge (which I think is an awesome idea by the way).

If anybody wants to hear them, I reposted them in a separate thread a little while ago: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7497785

Great thread, by the way! If I'm able to contribute to this challenge, I'll definitely chime back in with "which" synth and my due date. :)

Jan 2004

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2016

theshoemaker wrote:Have to postpone mine, because I got sidetracked by my Amazon FBA project. As I don't know how long this will take I'll just say 31.12.2017
Not trying to sound like an a**hole, but is that just a random date you're throwing out there? Are you still gonna feel commited to this after a whole year? I feel like the deadline is supposed to be treated somewhat sacred, otherwise it's pretty useless and the point of it is missed entirely.
I'm not saying you shouldn't join or anything because we want you here. But if it becomes one these "I'll do it someday when I have more time" projects then the deadline loses all its significance. We've all been there, at least I have.

So are you still in? 31.12.2017?
You're more than welcome to, though I can't promise I'll even run this thread for that long. Who knows.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2016

MassiveSoundStudios wrote:If the definition of an EP is at minimum 3 songs, I'd be lucky if I could get one done a month. I'd maybe be able to get 3 done in less, only if I reused some of my sounds that I designed with the chosen synth. I'd probably be able to get away with at least reusing my percussion sound design.

My Song Challenge entries for The Legend and Parsec are completely done using only those synths; kicks, snares, cymbals, percussion and all.

They are already finished and were submitted to other challenges, so I'm unsure they wouldn't qualify for this challenge (which I think is an awesome idea by the way).

If anybody wants to hear them, I reposted them in a separate thread a little while ago: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7497785

Great thread, by the way! If I'm able to contribute to this challenge, I'll definitely chime back in with "which" synth and my due date. :)
Go ahead. I'm including my own Legend song challenge track as one of the tracks for my EP. Also if you want to reuse material it's totally up to you.
If you feel like you rather write new tunes but need more time you could always set a later deadline, like I did.

theshoemaker

01 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
theshoemaker wrote:Have to postpone mine, because I got sidetracked by my Amazon FBA project. As I don't know how long this will take I'll just say 31.12.2017
Not trying to sound like an a**hole, but is that just a random date you're throwing out there? Are you still gonna feel commited to this after a whole year? I feel like the deadline is supposed to be treated somewhat sacred, otherwise it's pretty useless and the point of it is missed entirely.
I'm not saying you shouldn't join or anything because we want you here. But if it becomes one these "I'll do it someday when I have more time" projects then the deadline loses all its significance. We've all been there, at least I have.

You're more than welcome to, though I can't promise I'll even run this thread for that long. Who knows.
Yes, understand what you mean. Then I'll readjust and say 01.07.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2016

theshoemaker wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:

Yes, understand what you mean. Then I'll readjust and say 01.07.
Awesome!

East Island

04 Dec 2016

I find this a inspiring challenge.

I choose Nostromo.
My deadline will be 31-01-2017.
I go for a groovy-ambience with 3 'a 6 track.

greetings and good luck everybody.
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2016

East Island wrote:I find this a inspiring challenge.

I choose Nostromo.
My deadline will be 31-01-2017.
I go for a groovy-ambience with 3 'a 6 track.

greetings and good luck everybody.
Cool. Looks like we're gonna have a lot of Nostromo tunes to listen to :)

TheMiles

04 Dec 2016

First of February 2017
FM4

I also own expanse but that would be a boring kind of challenge as you can do almost everything with that synth. Thus I choose fm4 as it has a rather special character that makes the challenge more interesting1

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2016

TheMiles wrote:First of February 2017
FM4

I also own expanse but that would be a boring kind of challenge as you can do almost everything with that synth. Thus I choose fm4 as it has a rather special character that makes the challenge more interesting1
Yeah I was kind of expecting at least some people choosing Expanse, especially since it's so new (and good).
But you might be right, you can do so much with it that it takes away some of the challenge. Still I could choose to make an Expanse EP just to learn the synth better, which is a challenge in itself.

Kuranes

04 Dec 2016

Hi there! As I (at least until now) am going to be the first who'll have to deliver his goodies (exactly on year's end), I already can say: I don't know, how many times I've cursed myself for having set such a close deadline! But much more, I also cannot remember, when I have been more productive, and when I have learned more in a short time, than since the day, when I set my deadline.

Having chosen NOSTROMO, one of the greatest moments to date was, when I managed to replicate a preset of THE LEGEND that I really need for a song (the "devil brass"-preset) with nearly 100 % accuracy. I guess, for most of you this will be no big deal, but for me, who was until recently mostly using presets, because I was too stupid to understand, what all those knobs besides ADSR were all about, this is quite an achievement.

In other words: This challenge is for me already a big win and great fun, so thankyou Tritone for initiating this great opportunity for me to move my rear part and learn, how things are done! :lol:
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-del-vecchio

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2016

Kuranes wrote:Hi there! As I (at least until now) am going to be the first who'll have to deliver his goodies (exactly on year's end), I already can say: I don't know, how many times I've cursed myself for having set such a close deadline! But much more, I also cannot remember, when I have been more productive, and when I have learned more in a short time, than since the day, when I set my deadline.

Having chosen NOSTROMO, one of the greatest moments to date was, when I managed to replicate a preset of THE LEGEND that I really need for a song (the "devil brass"-preset) with nearly 100 % accuracy. I guess, for most of you this will be no big deal, but for me, who was until recently mostly using presets, because I was too stupid to understand, what all those knobs besides ADSR were all about, this is quite an achievement.

In other words: This challenge is for me already a big win and great fun, so thankyou Tritone for initiating this great opportunity for me to move my rear part and learn, how things are done! :lol:
That's great to hear. Keep it up.

I started this challenge for myself to improve my synth tweaking abilities and to finish more music in shorter time.
But making this thread I was hoping more people than me would be interested, since it's always more fun to share an experience with others. Even though we work alone on our projects, we're all in the same boat pretty much.

Glad to see people liking this idea of the One synth EP Challenge. It's meant to be inspiring.

Mystile

06 Dec 2016

This challenge isn't really about the difficulty of creating for me, well atleast not why I joined it..this is more of a challenge to me to get going, start a project, finish, do something....so far im failing haha

theshoemaker

06 Dec 2016

I have a version of my first song which I'm happy with so far (even it is very minimal). Sharing along with progress, or just when the EP is finished?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Dec 2016

theshoemaker wrote:I have a version of my first song which I'm happy with so far (even it is very minimal). Sharing along with progress, or just when the EP is finished?
Nice.
That's a good question. I can see the good and bad with both ways. For the sake of keeping the thread somewhat clean from posts with unfinished or unmastered tracks or links that doesn't work I think it would be better to present the music once the EP is finished. In a way it's more fun to look forward to the deadlines and take it all in at once.

Having said that I can definitely see good reasons to show the process also.

But for now I think we'll go with waiting till the EP is finished.

EntityMusicEnt

07 Dec 2016

I'm down for this challenge!

April 7th 2017 - EntityMusicEnt - Hydronexious
:PUF_figure: :reason: :re: :ignition: :record: :refill: :reload: :rt: Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen - Blue Spark - NI Maschine Mikro mk2 - Nektar Impact LX25 - Motif ES6 - Sony MDR-7506 - Presonus Eris E5

GRIFTY

07 Dec 2016

i'll hit this up eventually. i'm thinking january 1st and chip64 right now, need to revisit the idea in a week or so when i have more free time before i commit though

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2016

GRIFTY wrote:i'll hit this up eventually. i'm thinking january 1st and chip64 right now, need to revisit the idea in a week or so when i have more free time before i commit though
Ok, so I'll wait with adding you to the participant list then?

• Information