iZotope Stutter Edit

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
sandy1884

14 Oct 2016

Is there a Rack Extension available as sophisticated as iZotope's Stutter Edit?

I currently own a copy of Peff's Buffre Beat Repeater and tried Ochen K. Glitch Rack Extension.

Loque

15 Oct 2016

There are some stutter FX in the FB, you can use a Delay or Synchronious or Reason Sampler and automate the offset.
Reason12, Win10

sandy1884

15 Oct 2016

FB?

Electric-Metal

15 Oct 2016

I assume what he meant was the Factory Sound Bank (combinator effect patches).
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Loque

15 Oct 2016

Electric-Metal wrote:I assume what he meant was the Factory Sound Bank (combinator effect patches).
Yep, sorry i missed the S in FSB.
Reason12, Win10

SA Studio

15 Oct 2016

I've been talking about Stutter Edit for years now.

When people respond saying that Glitch or Buffre is remotely close, its scary. It's kind of like comparing a go kart to a race car. Stutter Edit is completely, and totally, a very complex VST effect.

I've been waiting for it to come to RE.

And at the same time I've used it as a high water mark when people say RE's are every bit as complex as VST = There is literally no comparison at all. It's technically light years past any glitch/beat repeater offering, not just in Reason, but in the whole ITB world.

If you fancy yourself an "expert" of sort in regards to RE vs VST, or just plug-ins in general, get a trial version of Stutter Edit and check it out. It's an extremely deep and complex plug. I'd love to see it come to RE, but RE was announced years ago. I dont think it will ever come to RE. :(

Loque

15 Oct 2016

SA Studio wrote:I've been talking about Stutter Edit for years now.

When people respond saying that Glitch or Buffre is remotely close, its scary. It's kind of like comparing a go kart to a race car. Stutter Edit is completely, and totally, a very complex VST effect.

And at the same time I've used it as a high water mark when people say RE's are every bit as complex as VST = There is literally no comparison at all. It's technically light years past any glitch/beat repeater offering, not just in Reason, but in the whole ITB world.

If you fancy yourself an "expert" of sort in regards to RE vs VST, or just plug-ins in general, get a trial version of Stutter Edit and check it out. It's an extremely deep and complex plug. I'd love to see it come to RE, but RE was announced years ago. I dont think it will ever come to RE. :(
Well, i am sure everyone would pay 300€ for a RE that is just a beat repeater with additional FX which can switch its patches on key press. Its pretty big, and lots of possibilities, that need to be programmed. Just like in every DAW. Regarding to ppl crying about prices here, they would be stupid to port something overpriced to a platform, that already can do this.

But maybe you can tell, what makes this VST worth 250€ and you are not able to do with Reason?
Reason12, Win10

aRiver

15 Oct 2016

reason cheats 101 - factory sound libabry has bunch of stand alone vst like presets for practically anything you can imagine. including stutter efffects. type in audio bender, stretcher, freeze stutter or random stutter. just type an efffect you looking for eg stutter

at the end it all depends how deep you want to go in recreating something similar

SA Studio

16 Oct 2016

Loque wrote:

Well, i am sure everyone would pay 300€ for a RE that is just a beat repeater with additional FX which can switch its patches on key press. Its pretty big, and lots of possibilities, that need to be programmed. Just like in every DAW. Regarding to ppl crying about prices here, they would be stupid to port something overpriced to a platform, that already can do this.

But maybe you can tell, what makes this VST worth 250€ and you are not able to do with Reason?
You should demo the plug-in.

It's amazing.

Loque

16 Oct 2016

SA Studio wrote:
Loque wrote:

You should demo the plug-in.

It's amazing.
Actually i dont have a good DAW. I tried a free one, that crashed after 5 minutes. I tried several others, horrible workflow. Finally i tried to get a VST working after 30 minutes, that crashed directly.... Maybe later...
Reason12, Win10

gak

17 Oct 2016

The closest is this that I know of (sorry if it's been mentioned)

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ereffects/

Warning: It's fiddly. I can't make heads or tails what I'm doing wrong (one of the RE's I bought on sale w/o enough demoing, shit happens :lol: )

I may have started a thread about it, I'll try to find it.

decibel

04 Jun 2017

i brought this break tweaker/stutter edit combo on sale on the weekend, it was only $84 for both once the cart discoount was applied so i feel it was a good deal https://www.jrrshop.com/izotope-break-t ... edit-combo

the only problem is i cant figure out how to get stutter edit up and running in reason properly ? there is tutorials for every other daw but as reason has only implemented vst use they obviously never even considered making one for it ?

if anybody here uses stutter edit in reason and could explain in as simple terms as possible (or even with the aid of taking a few screenshots to illustrate the steps necessary) it would be greatly appreciated ;) cheers

platzangst

04 Jun 2017

decibel wrote: the only problem is i cant figure out how to get stutter edit up and running in reason properly ?
Stutter Edit works on MIDI controls, that is, it's triggered by pressing keyboard keys, which set off individual chains/sequences of effects. So first you have to have a bank of pre-programmed routines (supplied by presets if you haven't made your own). Then, in Reason, you have to hook it up audio-wise as an effect, but you ALSO have to give it its own MIDI track. And, as near as I can tell, the song has to be playing before Stutter Edit will do anything. So that's probably what's happening: you need to have the track playing and you have to be providing it with its own dedicated note track before Stutter Edit will work.

decibel

05 Jun 2017

platzangst wrote:
decibel wrote: the only problem is i cant figure out how to get stutter edit up and running in reason properly ?
Stutter Edit works on MIDI controls, that is, it's triggered by pressing keyboard keys, which set off individual chains/sequences of effects. So first you have to have a bank of pre-programmed routines (supplied by presets if you haven't made your own). Then, in Reason, you have to hook it up audio-wise as an effect, but you ALSO have to give it its own MIDI track. And, as near as I can tell, the song has to be playing before Stutter Edit will do anything. So that's probably what's happening: you need to have the track playing and you have to be providing it with its own dedicated note track before Stutter Edit will work.
thanks for your advice platzangst, i was able to get it going in logic but due to being a bit dyslexic i couldnt quite get what you were suggesting and am still unable to get it going in reason, i tried half a dozen ways of wiring it up but im obviously missing some key step ?
if anybody here has stutter edit and knows how to correctly set it up could you please take a screenshot of the back of the devices and post it here so i can see how its done properly ?

platzangst

05 Jun 2017

1. Select audio track or instrument you want to use Stutter Edit on.

2. Add Stutter Edit as an effect.

3. In Rack, right-click on Stutter Edit VST unit and choose "Create Track for Stutter Edit"

4. Select Stutter Edit Track in sequencer so that notes from MIDI keyboard go to Stutter Edit.

5. Press "Play" (or Record, I guess) in transport bar.

6. Use keyboard to trigger Stutter Edit effects.

Looking at the wiring probably wouldn't help, since it's wired like any other effect.

stfual

05 Jun 2017

I have it working in the Windows version of Reason.
Stating the obvious but Remember what stutter edit does is manipulate audio - it does not generate any sound.
So create an instrument
Create stutter edit as in insert effect on the instrument
Create a midi track for stutter edit (select the VST and right click)
Add a new note lane to the midi track or you cant record note data - (is this a VST bug?)
Create a clip with some notes on the instrument midi track and loop it.
Make sure they play
Select the stutter edit midi track and either play or write some notes in .

Attached works in windows.
Attachments
Stutter Edit sample.zip
(194.41 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

decibel

05 Jun 2017

thanks for your help guys, i have it working now, was a bit confusing yeah but i think i'll get the hang of it now ;) hope you are both having a great day etc, cheers ;)

swamptooth

05 Jun 2017

stfual wrote:I have it working in the Windows version of Reason.
Stating the obvious but Remember what stutter edit does is manipulate audio - it does not generate any sound.
Not 100% accurate. The generator gestures do generate sound.

RequiemMachine

07 Jun 2017

AirRaid Audio's Distillery RE is the closes you're going to get to Stutter Edit in an RE. https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... at-looper/
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

Gorgon

07 Jun 2017

I am SOOOO happy that I can finally use Stutter Edit hassle free with Reason. It works GREAT!
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Jon AirRaid

07 Jun 2017

RequiemMachine wrote:AirRaid Audio's Distillery RE is the closes you're going to get to Stutter Edit in an RE. https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... at-looper/
Yes, indeed. Stutter Edit was one of our obvious inspirations when creating Distillery. ;)

That said, each device is capable of things that the other isn't (like the crazy pitch sweeps and ultra-fine granular time-stretching that can be done with Distillery.)
Member of AirRaid Audio. Plugin designer and coder.

Our main website.
Follow us on Sound Cloud.
Follow us on Twitter.

My personal music:

Bean Machine - Sound Cloud.

• Information