Mathieu Demange's RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer Song Challenge

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

10 Oct 2016

Welcome to Reasonistas and Mathieu Demange's RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer Song Challenge.

THE RULES
  • Judge's decision is final
  • Only 3 winners with no cash alternative.
  • Song challenge begins Monday, October 10, 2016
  • Song challenge ends Wednesday, November 9, 2016 @ 11:59 pm EST
  • Song challenge Winners will be announced on Nov 13, 2016
  • RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer introductory sale price ends on November 16, 2016
  • After the closing date, you are not allowed to change, alter or resubmit your entry. Any re-submissions or alterations will result in disqualification
  • All entrants, when requested, must be prepared to provide evidence that the rules have been adhered to. This includes providing a copy of the Reason song file to verify that only the RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer was used for synth sounds.
What you may use in your song (with copyright permission):
  • RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer Re for all synth sounds
  • Any Reason native and rack extension Effects and Utilities, including R9 "Players" (no external plug-ins or hardware)
  • Any drums from the FSB or sample libraries, but not from external plug-ins
  • Any recorded instruments and vocals (excluding external synths)
  • Any vocal samples
  • Any collaboration for any of the above
What you may not use in your song:
  • No synth that is not RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer (including Combinators featuring RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer that include any other synth)
  • No external plug-ins or hardware
  • No instrument samples (you can use drums samples and samples of RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer)
  • No programs outside of Reason that generate synth sounds
  • No copyrighted material (Note: Breakbeat samples from the Factory Soundbank ARE cleared for use according to Propellerhead Software)
  • No cover songs
THE SUBMISSION
All participants must post their song in this thread and we will update the OP to include each entry. This confirms your song was accepted.

THE JUDGES
Mathieu Demange
William Lamy
Yoann Turpin
Noel G. (NoelGMusic) @ Reasonistas

The judging will be based off the following criteria:
  • Showcasing of RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
  • Arrangement and songwriting
  • Originality and creativity
  • Mixing and engineering
THE PRIZES
1st place: RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
2nd place: RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
3rd place: RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer

Mathieu Demange's RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer shop page: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... nthesizer/

Good luck to everyone!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Entries listed below.

Entry # 1 - K.Markov - Fantasy

Entry # 2 - bsp (bsp604) - Rym2612 - Test - 11Oct2016 Rec A

Entry # 3 - teddymcw-playground - 'Autumn' - Using the RYM2612

Entry # 4 - Loque - Mr. Coman

Entry # 5 - Plasticpulse - You Don't Look Real

Entry # 6 - plastic fractal - yellow eyes

Entry # 7 - VNUProd - RYM2612 Demo Song

Entry # 8 - Coding - RyM

Entry # 9 - ThisIsNotTheMusic - TITNM V2

Entry # 10 - TritoneAddiction - A Day At The Circus

Entry # 11 - Hazel (Azrael's Amblyopia) - Broken Ouija

Entry # 12 - Advanced Suite - Simultaneous

Entry # 13 - Overneath The Skybridge - The Siren

Entry # 14 - HeavyViper - Cyberdrake Assault (RYM2612)

Entry # 15 - Renato Amu - THE CHIP

Entry # 16 - Ghosts In The Attic - Owls

Entry # 17 - Dalle - Gates

Entry # 18 - Zhi Zhu - AJ 3000 - Magic Carpet (RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer)

Entry # 19 - God Of Rainbows - Legend Of The Ancient nanoBots

Entry # 20 - God Of Rainbows - nanoBots: EVOLUTION

Entry # 21 - Zhi Zhu - AJ 3000 - Grits (RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer)
Last edited by Reasonistas on 10 Nov 2016, edited 18 times in total.
ImageImageImage

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2016

Wonderful to see the Reason community so alive with all these song challenges going.
It's getting hard to keep up with all of them :)

Now the question is do I write another track for The Legend song challenge or this one. Hmm...

I'll probably end up doing both.

platzangst

11 Oct 2016

There's a minor issue I'd like to point out. I don't think it's the first time it's happened for these contests, either:

I notice that this synth is currently on an introductory sale, which is great. And of course the prizes in this competition are free licenses for the synth itself, which is even better.

So if someone enters this contest hoping to score a free license, they'll opt for a 30-day "try" period, right? and if they win, they get a free synth.

But if the contest ends Nov 9th, and the sale ends Oct. 26, that means that anyone who waited until the the winners got announced, and found out they didn't win - if they do want the synth anyway, they've missed the sale price. And if they jump in and buy before the sale is up, then that makes the prize kind of moot. It puts a potential contestant in a little bit of a bind.

challism

11 Oct 2016

I'm so happy to see this challenge. I think all new RE instruments (and possibly some FX) should offer a song challenge. I think it's a great marketing technique. Anyway, good luck to all the contenders.
TritoneAddiction wrote:Wonderful to see the Reason community so alive with all these song challenges going.

Now the question is do I write another track for The Legend song challenge or this one. Hmm...

Couldn't you make ONE new song and then alter it to fit both synths? One song/two contests. That's not against the rules, is it? Make your bass, leads, etc with Legend, and then drag and drop RYM2612 into their place and find some sounds that fit.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Reasonistas
RE Developer

11 Oct 2016

platzangst wrote:There's a minor issue I'd like to point out. I don't think it's the first time it's happened for these contests, either:

I notice that this synth is currently on an introductory sale, which is great. And of course the prizes in this competition are free licenses for the synth itself, which is even better.

So if someone enters this contest hoping to score a free license, they'll opt for a 30-day "try" period, right? and if they win, they get a free synth.

But if the contest ends Nov 9th, and the sale ends Oct. 26, that means that anyone who waited until the the winners got announced, and found out they didn't win - if they do want the synth anyway, they've missed the sale price. And if they jump in and buy before the sale is up, then that makes the prize kind of moot. It puts a potential contestant in a little bit of a bind.
This has happened before. I've just forward your comments to the developer and waiting for his response.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

11 Oct 2016

challism wrote:I'm so happy to see this challenge. I think all new RE instruments (and possibly some FX) should offer a song challenge. I think it's a great marketing technique. Anyway, good luck to all the contenders.
TritoneAddiction wrote:Wonderful to see the Reason community so alive with all these song challenges going.

Couldn't you make ONE new song and then alter it to fit both synths? One song/two contests. That's not against the rules, is it? Make your bass, leads, etc with Legend, and then drag and drop RYM2612 into their place and find some sounds that fit.

Actually, this is not permitted under this rule:

What you may not use in your song:
  • No cover songs
ImageImageImage

K.Markov

11 Oct 2016

ok, let me be the first :puf_smile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2016

challism wrote:I'm so happy to see this challenge. I think all new RE instruments (and possibly some FX) should offer a song challenge. I think it's a great marketing technique. Anyway, good luck to all the contenders.

Yeah I hope the Song Challenges will be an ongoing trend. I agree, more FX RE competitions would be cool too. Rules would most likely be a bit different, but as long as it's still about writing a song I'm in. Some FX would probably not be suitable for these kind of competitions though, stuff like EQs, compressors, limiters. But a Song Challenge for FX like the new Deja Vu Delay would probably work.

Using the same song for several Song Challenges is apparently against the rules as Noel just explained.
But to be honest the fun thing for me is to see what comes out when using a particular device anyway. And the feeling of writing something new is also part of it.

teddymcw

11 Oct 2016

Love how you're thinking Tritone. It would be really interesting to hear the 'same song' with song contest rules two diff synths regardless of one being disqualified. For more contests in general, I see nothing to lose (besides maybe the obvious 3+ potential buyer's money) and everything to gain for a developer wanting to hold a song competition. The boost of creativity one gets from creating with a new device and more strict parameters, knowing people will take a good listen is just exhilarating and will bring out the best for all. Yes, multiple overlapping contests can have a negative effect, thus maybe simply make time frames 2-3 weeks long? Again, a restriction that actually boosts my energy. No matter if the device is a simple or greatly complex, a contest is almost a must imho. Would love a Deja Vu type of contest and a PSQ-1684 type of contest. As always, thanks to Noel the G for helping to facilitate these awesome community events.

Loque

11 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:

Yeah I hope the Song Challenges will be an ongoing trend. I agree, more FX RE competitions would be cool too. Rules would most likely be a bit different, but as long as it's still about writing a song I'm in. Some FX would probably not be suitable for these kind of competitions though, stuff like EQs, compressors, limiters. But a Song Challenge for FX like the new Deja Vu Delay would probably work.

Using the same song for several Song Challenges is apparently against the rules as Noel just explained.
But to be honest the fun thing for me is to see what comes out when using a particular device anyway. And the feeling of writing something new is also part of it.
Once i thought it would be nice for FX REs too, but i dont see how tgis could work. It will finally be limited to only this FX maybe. I just thought about a sound-challange, maybe with a provided sample, but would be weird too. So, which FX could be usefull for which kind of challange?
Reason12, Win10

bsp

11 Oct 2016

I've been trialing this RE this evening, created some patches and made a little tune.
Might as well leave it here :-)

Genre: IDM'ish Chiptune Glitch.

14 instances of RYM2612, 21 voices, zero effects or EQs.

teddymcw

13 Oct 2016

This is an awesome machine Mr. Demange! Here goes an entry, was inspired by some of the prettier sounds this can make, tried to use very little effects, just a touch of reverb, eq and sat.

Loque

13 Oct 2016

So, here is my entry. This time i tried a bit different style, but still with my special touch. Have fun with it.

Reason12, Win10

inphonik
RE Developer

13 Oct 2016

Noel G. wrote:
platzangst wrote:There's a minor issue I'd like to point out. I don't think it's the first time it's happened for these contests, either:

This has happened before. I've just forward your comments to the developer and waiting for his response.
Hello all,

Just wanted to say I totally agree with this fair remark. We'll be happy to extend the introductory sale period until November 16th but we had an issue while editing our product's page on the shop. We contacted PH about that and it seems they'll have to fix something. I'll keep you guys posted when everything's OK.

Meanwhile, good luck everyone and thanks for your lovely comments on the RYM2612, we really appreciate it!

Yours,

Mathieu

TheGodOfRainbows

13 Oct 2016

OMG Another song challenge! :thumbs_up: Thank Mathieu, William, Yoann, and Noel for making it happen. After trying it, I had no idea how much I needed this synth. The nostalgia is real. Awesome presets.

inphonik
RE Developer

14 Oct 2016

mathieudemange wrote:
Noel G. wrote:

Hello all,

Just wanted to say I totally agree with this fair remark. We'll be happy to extend the introductory sale period until November 16th but we had an issue while editing our product's page on the shop. We contacted PH about that and it seems they'll have to fix something. I'll keep you guys posted when everything's OK.

Meanwhile, good luck everyone and thanks for your lovely comments on the RYM2612, we really appreciate it!

Yours,

Mathieu
Hello all,

I'm happy to confirm that our introductory sale now ends on November 16th. Enjoy!

Yours,

Mathieu

plasticpulse

16 Oct 2016

Here is my entry. All sounds, including drums, were generated by the Iconic FM Synthesizer. I really like this synth.

you don't look real:

plasticpulse

20 Oct 2016

Here is my second entry. All sounds, including drums, were generated by the Iconic FM Synth.

yellow eyes:

VNUprod

21 Oct 2016

Thank you for this competition! Here is my entry :D

coding
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2016

ThisIsNotTheMusic

23 Oct 2016

Here is mine. About 10 2612's. Rex Drums. That's all. For the party people.

https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2016

Here's my entry:

All sounds generated by RYM2612.

Hazel

23 Oct 2016

ThisIsNotTheMusic

29 Oct 2016

Remixed. Better levels and transitions.
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

• Information