Parsec 2 is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

08 Oct 2016

Gorgon wrote:This should be a free upgrade. Money grubbing swedish bastards.
At least you could make an attempt to explain why folks at Propellerheads should not profit from their work on this update…what's your argument this should be a free upgrade?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

zero01101

08 Oct 2016

selig wrote:
At least you could make an attempt to explain why folks at Propellerheads should not profit from their work on this update…what's your argument this should be a free upgrade?
no kidding; this is seriously a solid upgrade to obviously different software. instantly more usable than parsec v1. the electromechanical generator might've been worth it on it's own for me.

i still can't believe it cuts off at 20k as hard as it does but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dvdrtldg

09 Oct 2016

Sheeesh @ all you guys throwing all your toys out of the pram because of a $40 upgrade
Last edited by dvdrtldg on 09 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2016

Well here's my short little rant for this year. For the next 364 days I'll make sure to spread good vibes on this forum instead of whiney opinionated crap like this :)

I can understand criticism about not being able to try the product before buying, or criticism if a product doesn't work the way it's supposed to. That's all fine and reasonable.
But when people complain about things not being free I find it pretty funny.
Why would anyone expect to get anything for free? Sorry but this all sounds like self entitlement to me.
I mean a company trying to make money off of their products? What is this? This is outragous!!!
Sometimes you make good deals and sometimes you make bad ones. That's life. I don't see anyone complaining about the unfairness when you happen to make a good deal while other people bought it months ago for the double price you paid. Prices and products values change all the time.

Whenever you're lucky enough to recieve a gift, you take it and you're greatful. You don't expect it or take it for granted.
It's pretty funny when some people act like they get personally attacked when free stuff isn't given to them. Propellerhead is running a business, they're not a charity organisation, or your best friend.

Well that's my take on it. I'll go back to what matters now, making music.

Sorry for taking up space in what should be a thread about Parsec 2, not posts like this.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 09 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

tiker01

09 Oct 2016

selig wrote:

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Ahornberg

09 Oct 2016

Is the update worth the price?

woozy

09 Oct 2016

joeyluck wrote:
woozy wrote:
jfrichards wrote:
woozy wrote:Some my old patches are totally messed up and sounds very different this is really bad, because i put a lot work to make them sound good, some are really silent, prop should make update for compatibility mode for old version, because it's like pay 39euro to mess up your sounds what a shame hope they will do something about it.I'm really stressed about it and disappointed. :(
Can you zip one that is messed up and attach it here so we can see what is happening?
i could but what's the point if i can't compare it to original because already upgraded to v2. I only know how it should sound in my head, i'll sent some patches to props i think.
Do you have any computers you have worked on where you sync'd your REs previously. I have my REs on every work computer at every theatre in which I work, so I know they all aren't up to date. You could check there without syncing Parsec again.

Or I'm sure if you want to post a few patches in question here within a song or with MIDI file any of us still with version 1 can export and share with you so you can compare.
I only have 1 computer with all my RE so i'm stuck with V2. I've made quick comparison that includes: Rns for windows and midi and patches for Mac osx also Bounced Audio how it sound On Parsec V2, i'm using Reason 8.3 i don't know is there difference with R9.

http://www.filedropper.com/compare

XysteR

09 Oct 2016

You give no explaination why? And no justification as to why you're branding Propellerheads to be 'Money grabbing bastards'. I have some news for you, you may have to brace yourself in preparation for the shock: Businesses generally like to try to make money, or they find it hard to exist or make profit! :shock:

You can pay this kind of money for a Refill alone. Parsec has a lot of new features in the update to V2 and a few hundred new patches in addition. I think the real problem here is 'Whinging tight people' not 'Money grabbing Swedish bastards'

selig
RE Developer

09 Oct 2016

Ahornberg wrote:Is the update worth the price?
That is a question with no single answer, as you may have noticed when reading this thread. ;)

Only you know if it's worth it or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Gulale

09 Oct 2016

platzangst wrote:
Well, and Reason 9.1 was a free upgrade (from 9) - and they tried out a pay-what-you-want upgrade some time back. So there's that.
I can't believe users in2016 still believe and talk about pay what you want as a free great offer, in reality it was not.

that was the technic which was used by Properellhead to ship every user to the junkie land of Rack extension. It is so embarrassing telling that as an offer to benefit their user.

About the synth update, Propellerhead can do whatever they wanna do and as a user same way. Either u buy it or you don't. It is a matter of evaluating your stand. I'm not biblical or belief in relegion but my dad used to Bring this up to tell me to be careful.

Listen! A farmer went out to plant some seeds. As he scattered them across his field, some seeds fell on a footpath, and the birds came and ate them. Other seeds fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. The seeds sprouted quickly because the soil was shallow. But the plants soon wilted under the hot sun, and since they didn’t have deep roots, they died. 7 Other seeds fell among thorns that grew up and choked out the tender plants. Still other seeds fell on fertile soil, and they produced a crop that was thirty, sixty, and even a hundred times as much as had been planted! Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.”

You planted your cash on Re this is what you paid for an update love it or hate it. Like I said evaluate your stand.
Jah Bless
Gulale aka Bereket

selig
RE Developer

09 Oct 2016

Gulale wrote:
platzangst wrote:
Well, and Reason 9.1 was a free upgrade (from 9) - and they tried out a pay-what-you-want upgrade some time back. So there's that.
I can't believe users in2016 still believe and talk about pay what you want as a free great offer, in reality it was not.
Believe it! I'm one of those users who still feel it was a free great offer. I'm not sure why this would be difficult to believe - why would anyone lie about this?

Selig Audio, LLC

Sokpoppet

09 Oct 2016

Not much discussion about the actual sound of Parsec2 here! I've just upgraded and really like it. But one thing I find is that the levels are very inconsistant. Some patches are very loud and clip easily into the red. One of the first sounds I tryed, Ganges Blues for example. Seems at odds with Propellerheads own guidelines for patch building. ie: that output levels should not exceed 0 db VU or-12db peak under normal playing conditions. Makes some other patches very quiet in comparison.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2016

So enough about the pricing, Propellerheads updating system and all that.

For those of you who have bought it.

Can you create unique sounds not possible with other REs?
Are the new presets any good?
New workflow compared to the old one.
Other thoughts worth mentioning about Parsec 2.

Soundcells

09 Oct 2016

"Hi Harald,
I have your Parsec Signature Refill, which is awesome by the way!
I was just wondering if I upgrade to Parsec 2, can I still use patches from your Refill?
Cheers!
Alex"

Hi Alex and @all;

All Patches from the ReFill, so to speak version 1 patches seem to work fine.

jonheal

09 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:So enough about the pricing, Propellerheads updating system and all that.

I will tell you this: I am a noodler, I noodled with Parsec 1 and was rewarded with many strange and wonderful sounds. Now I have noodled with Parssec 2 for a bit and the strange and wonderful sounds continue to bubble forth. But with all of the new generating sources, it is immediately apparent that the universe of strange and wonderful sounds is immensely expanded. For me, that's enough to justify ponying up for the upgrade. As Selig says, it's going to be a personal, subjective opinion as to whether the upgrade is worth the price to you. As the situation stands, you do have to gamble the 40 to find out.

Yes, Propellerhead could possibly reduce some user angst by offering, say, yearly re-trials of REs, maybe reducing them to seven days, but ... it's their business to do as they see fit. Complaining about it here doesn't accomplish doodly-squat other than to raise the level of rancor on the forum. Petition them respectfully on their Facebook page.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Faastwalker

09 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:Can you create unique sounds not possible with other REs?
I would say yes, but others may not agree. It's certainly easy to create sounds and the modifiers can add huge variation very easily. It's fun to use as well so it encourages tweaking even if you're not big on synth programming I'd imagine.
I'm not sure what's new and what's not. Somehow it all sounds new and better. There are some very nice & interesting sounds in there. Always have been but now there's just more.
Vastly improved. The modifier control / display makes a massive difference. The click destination is really neat. Better GUI. It was great before. Now it's even better.
It's the bollox ;)

Gardinski

09 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote: Complaining about it here doesn't accomplish doodly-squat other than to raise the level of rancor on the forum. Petition them respectfully on their Facebook page.
Amen to that. Jonheal is right. This thread has got bogged down in fruitless arguments and petty snarking about whether or not Propellerheads are the devil incarnate. (Spoiler alert: they're not.)

'Twould be a dreadful shame if this forum went the way the old PUF did.
jonheal wrote: with all of the new generating sources, it is immediately apparent that the universe of strange and wonderful sounds is immensely expanded.
That's more like it! This is what we need to hear.
Faastwalker wrote: Vastly improved (workflow). The modifier control / display makes a massive difference. The click destination is really neat. Better GUI. It was great before. Now it's even better.
Faastwalker wrote:
It's the bollox ;)
Brilliant! A man who speaks my language!

Thanks guys - you're swaying me towards a purchase.

sdst
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2016

the cpu usage is very good, it feels like the subtractor in cpu

that's a good thing.

but is not in the same league than the last two Synth

joeyluck

09 Oct 2016

selig wrote:
Gulale wrote:
platzangst wrote:
Believe it! I'm one of those users who still feel it was a free great offer. I'm not sure why this would be difficult to believe - why would anyone lie about this?

I didn't get to partake in the pay what want upgrade because I had bought Reason 5 within the grace period, so I automatically got Reason 6 for free :(

bsp

09 Oct 2016

In Parsec 2, you can finally route Engine A into Engine B ("A" becomes the oscillator signal for "B").
This means that it's not only possible to chain all four modifiers but you also can easily mix "A" with a pitch shifted or slightly detuned version of itself.

Another great addition is the "Filter Curve". It works similar to the "Param EQ" but you can freedraw the frequency response.
When you map "note number" to "-Shift+" Filter Curve parameter in the Mod Matrix and set the mod amount to 100%, the curve becomes relative to the currently played note.
In other words: The filter curve can be used as some kind of oscillator wave shaper. Highly useful!

There are other new features (e.g. a vast array of new wavetables) but these are the ones that I liked best so far.

woozy

09 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:So enough about the pricing, Propellerheads updating system and all that.

Yes you already can do that with version 1, this updates improves on that, i doubt that there's a RE that can do what Parsec can.

i've gone through all the presets, although new patches are mixed with old ones, there are really cool patches, very realistic sounding instuments, my favorites are bells and mallets, but there are some minor issues some patches can't load in percussive folder, and some have missing samples, for some levels are low.

Don't have opinion on that because i just starting to get used to it, personally i hate it when looks changes, because need to get used to it all over again.

Positives:
36 new generators
5 new modifiers
6 new programmer sources
2 new programmer destinations
2 New spread modes
200 new patches
New waveform added to lfo 1 & 2
Some knobs control now are finer from 0.0 to 100.0
Added pan knob
Added Lfo2 rate input on back
Link function
Interactive modifiers screens
Now it's possible turn off/on all modifiers
Drag to destination function
Last edited by woozy on 10 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

09 Oct 2016

woozy wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
woozy wrote:
jfrichards wrote:
woozy wrote:Some my old patches are totally messed up and sounds very different this is really bad, because i put a lot work to make them sound good, some are really silent, prop should make update for compatibility mode for old version, because it's like pay 39euro to mess up your sounds what a shame hope they will do something about it.I'm really stressed about it and disappointed. :(
Can you zip one that is messed up and attach it here so we can see what is happening?
i could but what's the point if i can't compare it to original because already upgraded to v2. I only know how it should sound in my head, i'll sent some patches to props i think.
Do you have any computers you have worked on where you sync'd your REs previously. I have my REs on every work computer at every theatre in which I work, so I know they all aren't up to date. You could check there without syncing Parsec again.

Or I'm sure if you want to post a few patches in question here within a song or with MIDI file any of us still with version 1 can export and share with you so you can compare.
I only have 1 computer with all my RE so i'm stuck with V2. I've made quick comparison that includes: Rns for windows and midi and patches for Mac osx also Bounced Audio how it sound On Parsec V2, i'm using Reason 8.3 i don't know is there difference with R9.

http://www.filedropper.com/compare
:thumbs_up: Downloading now

[EDIT] Here is audio from Parsec 1

Here is a file that compares the two. Each patch from V1 followed by the audio you provided from V2

Certainly a difference between V1 and V2.
Have you heard anything from Propellerhead?

stratatonic

09 Oct 2016

Gulale wrote: I can't believe users in2016 still believe and talk about pay what you want as a free great offer, in reality it was not.
You're right, it was not free. It cost at least a buck.:) Or Euro. Though some paid significantly more I hear.
Gulale wrote:that was the technic which was used by Properellhead to ship every user to the junkie land of Rack extension. It is so embarrassing telling that as an offer to benefit their user.
That's their business model, yeah. Some folks have spent a ton on REs. Others, not so much. Some none at all. Upgrading to Reason 6 did not open up a free channel from Propellerhead to one's credit card/bank account.

Gulale wrote:! A farmer went out to plant some seeds. As he scattered them across his field, some seeds fell on a footpath, and the birds came and ate them. Other seeds fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. The seeds sprouted quickly because the soil was shallow. But the plants soon wilted under the hot sun, and since they didn’t have deep roots, they died. 7 Other seeds fell among thorns that grew up and choked out the tender plants. Still other seeds fell on fertile soil, and they produced a crop that was thirty, sixty, and even a hundred times as much as had been planted! Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.”
And some seeds were swallowed whole by birds and pooped out in even more fertile lands with even better yields.

And some seeds were picked up by some health fanatics and ground up for their Omega 3 content and put into breakfast smoothies, never knowing the joy of reproduction/growing... :(

Massimo

09 Oct 2016

Instantly downloaded.
I love Parsec 1...and this update is making it even huge than before!
There is something metallic the way it sounds...which is the reason I chose it on top of other Reason synths.
Put a limiter and eq after it to save your speakers...sometime it can generate very low frequency...and I normally bypass the on board reverb and channel it to Antidote...heaven!

stratatonic

09 Oct 2016

selig wrote:
ClassickHitz wrote:
platzangst wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
ClassickHitz wrote:I like the idea of Parsec 2 but the pricing penalizes the existing user.

If I originally paid $119 for Parsec and then have to pay an additional $39 for the upgrade (Parsec2) where is the financial incentive? A new user get's a better Parsec 2 at the same price of $119 existing users paid. Again, current users are being up-charged.

Not sure how Props didn't see this. Or, maybe they did!
That's how it works with most paid upgrades and new versions though.
Just think about Reason itself - a new user can just pay $399 for Reason 9! But someone who's had Reason since 4 might have had to pay $399 + five other upgrade prices! Obviously a scam, and we should all get on PH's case for not dropping free product in our laps, the scoundrels!
That's one way of looking at it. But another way would be to say someone who's had Reason since 4 can upgrade to R9 for just $129. Anyone can then see the financial upside to that. If a person chooses to keep upgrading an entire DAW version after version there must be some apparent benefits.

It doesn't make sense for me to pay for an update on a device I already have especially if I'm paying more than a new customer. And I'm definitely making a distinction between a single device and an entire DAW.

If this is the new business model then I'll be the first to go on the record saying I won't be buying Reason single device plugins and paying for updates too.

And for the record Native Instruments and Logic have been cranking out free upgrades for their entire platform that past fews updates.
Just playing devil's advocate here…

Logic doens't let you upgrade though, you have to purchase a new version every time one is released. How is that any more fair?...

And one can also argue that you are not paying more than a new customer, you are paying LESS than a new customer which has to purchase the RE at full price. So would you rather have the "Logic" model where EVERYONE pays full price for new versions, or get the loyal user discount?

I'm sure there are some holes in my logic, so fire away if you see any!
The upgrade from logic 8 to 9 was 199 dollars
The price of Logic X was 199 dollars
Upgrade cost = purchase cost

---

Reason 7 and Logic X came out within a couple months of each other in 2013...
If you had owned the software before, Logic X would cost an additional 199 dollars with several free updates to bring you to Oct 2016. Reason would have been 129 x 3 (R7, 8, and 9) = an additional 387 dollars up to Oct 2016
If you didn't own the software before, Logic X would cost 199 dollars up to now, and Reason would be 560 dollars

Logic 11 may very well come out around Reason 10, at which point, you'd pay 199 + 199 to be up to date, with free updates for the next 4 years, and Reason, well my calculator just blew up :D

Early Sunday morning rambling yeah :) - Logic is not really a fair example - we all know that it's subsidized massively - but it is a fantastic deal even at full price 199 every 4 years.

• Information