Parsec 2 is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

11 Oct 2016

platzangst wrote:
Musicians make music for enjoyment. Nobody truly needs music just to survive, but music can make life more enjoyable. Software companies make music programs that enable some people to create music. Again, none of this is needed in the most basic sense. The only need is conditional; i.e., if you want to make music on a computer, you will need to have access to some tools (like a computer and software) in order to do that.

Reason 1 is sufficient to make music. But some people may want to make music of a type not easily done in Reason 1. And so there are progressively more features added to subsequent versions of Reason. Now people can use Reason 9 to make a much wider variety of music. Nobody needs additive synthesis. Nobody needs modeled virtual analog synthesis that mimics real-life vintage synths that also are not really needed by anybody. People just want this stuff.

And so when it comes to music software, if someone implies that someone is being sold more than they need, that much is far truer than perhaps they intended. It's all surplus to requirements. The only question is whether any particular item helps you create the kind of music you want to create. And whether you're willing to pay the seller's price for what you want.
All true. But there's no point in appealing to reason. I suspect that a lot of the grievances being expressed in this thread - like many of the "Props are ripping us off and it offends me personally" comments that roll around every time anything appears in the shop - are rooted in a more generalised sense of grievance that has nothing to do with logic. Some people are just chronically pissed off

platzangst

11 Oct 2016

MattiasHG wrote:I wish we could do everything at once but we have to prioritise.
Not to digress too much, but this has made me a bit curious.

And of course I just made a post about how people tend to see their own concerns as being representative of "most folks", so I've got that in mind, but if I'm reading this right, and the user research showed the Players to be the logical next step, that would mean that other things were less desired or not as much of a concern.

But number 1 on my list of things I've been looking for in upcoming editions of Reason is sample loading in REs, which I've hoped for ever since I first realized the first batch of REs didn't and couldn't have it. Several updates and upgrades later and it still hasn't arrived. There's been gossip and speculation about why not, ranging from there being some sort of technical issue about sandboxing the REs that makes it tricky - to conspiracy-esque rumors that sample loading is being deliberately withheld because sample-capable REs would crash the market for other REs or ReFills.

But now I'm wondering: is it just that not enough users actually care about it all that much? It just hasn't hit the threshold for being a greater priority?

michal22

11 Oct 2016

MattiasHG wrote: Which, according to you, are the main feature requests?

If there's one thing I can promise you, it's that we listen to our users. The Players were a direct result of extensive user research identifying that people wanted new ways to play and create the musical content, not the sound. In other words, many asked for them—though not as directly as "we want Players please". Asking for a specific feature or function directly is not how most user research in most companies work, but that's another discussion for another day. :)

I'd also go so far to say that every upgrade since Reason 6 (and probably before, but I didn't work here then) has had plenty of additions based on user requests. Adding audio to Reason, the external MIDI device, spectrum analyzer with EQ, Rack Extensions, new browser etc. etc. were all highly requested features or solved common user problems.

Anyway, I can still understand and respect your frustration. I wish we could do everything at once but we have to prioritise. I continuously read Reason Talk and feedback@propellerheads.se so keep sending your suggestions, problems you're having and so on. It's very helpful! :thumbs_up:
Thanks, that you listen to your users. Unfortunately I have a different impression.
From the beginning, when you created parallel channels in Reason it is underdeveloped. It's like giving someone a prosthetic leg and say that is the same as the healthy leg. Users on the forum from the beginning to complain about the lack of delay compensation. You do not do anything on this issue for several versions. If this is for you not a problem, please make tutorial or guide how do I deal with this problem to handle. How do I align the path quickly? When they are not aligned that they lose their power (especially drums). Help us - users with this problem please. Do not you can add a simple knob in ssl mixer to move sound in time?
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

stratatonic

11 Oct 2016

platzangst wrote:
Gorgon wrote:It's about what you can sell that people don't need. THAT is where the real money is.
What people actually need are food, water and shelter. Everything else is gravy.
Gravy is food, therefore we NEED EVERYTHING! :shock:

Lately I am watching as to how Apple tries to create a major need for the Apple Watch... :roll:

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

11 Oct 2016

platzangst wrote:
MattiasHG wrote:I wish we could do everything at once but we have to prioritise.

And of course I just made a post about how people tend to see their own concerns as being representative of "most folks", so I've got that in mind, but if I'm reading this right, and the user research showed the Players to be the logical next step, that would mean that other things were less desired or not as much of a concern.

But number 1 on my list of things I've been looking for in upcoming editions of Reason is sample loading in REs, which I've hoped for ever since I first realized the first batch of REs didn't and couldn't have it. Several updates and upgrades later and it still hasn't arrived. There's been gossip and speculation about why not, ranging from there being some sort of technical issue about sandboxing the REs that makes it tricky - to conspiracy-esque rumors that sample loading is being deliberately withheld because sample-capable REs would crash the market for other REs or ReFills.

But now I'm wondering: is it just that not enough users actually care about it all that much? It just hasn't hit the threshold for being a greater priority?
Don't listen to conspiracies. :)

Just to be super clear, there are many things that play in when prioritising. User need, cost to build, time available, company vision, product vision etc., not always as easy as "this is the most popular thing so let's do it". I can't really disclose exactly why something was or wasn't chosen for an upgrade, don't want to give away ALL the secret sauce. Sorry!

Olivier

11 Oct 2016

platzangst wrote:

Looking forward to the day we will have user sample loading in the SDK. It will be a(nother) great step forward for Reason.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Massimo

11 Oct 2016

I was about to say to all users who are complaining...to just try it and see by yourself...but unfortunately no trial available, which is a good fare point to raise. Lucky me I could swipe my credit card with no hesitation...but I can understand the fact not everybody is in the same situation.

This is my second night using Parsec 2...and I love it!
Differences in presets volume?...differences with the Comb filter? I actually did not notice until someone mentioned it.
Happy they already fixed it.

There is some big pleasure to work with the interface...it was before...and it is even better now. More filters, more functionalities...and for me, just the link option to combine A and B generators, plus the refined values now possible to dial in...this alone makes it possible to generate all sort of "analog sounds" with just the saw/dual saw generator that were not previously possible with Parsec 1.

I quickly made some dirty and fat moog sounds that made me feel really satisfied...happy to share if I only had some time.

It may not be the synth for everyone...it may only cover a specific sound spectrum...but within this specific constrain...still considering it a solid and inspiring piece of software.

Noplan
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2016

Lucky me I could swipe my credit card with no hesitation...
I don't think that you are wealthy enough to swipe your credit card for me with no hesitation.

Mystile

11 Oct 2016

Man.. I wonder why they shut down the propellerheads forum lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OverneathTheSkyBridg

11 Oct 2016

I feel like I havent even scratched the surface yet with Parsec 1 and now this comes out? Looks awesome! I'll be upgrading soon for sure!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

tiker01

11 Oct 2016

MattiasHG wrote:
platzangst wrote:

Don't listen to conspiracies. :)

Just to be super clear, there are many things that play in when prioritising. User need, cost to build, time available, company vision, product vision etc., not always as easy as "this is the most popular thing so let's do it". I can't really disclose exactly why something was or wasn't chosen for an upgrade, don't want to give away ALL the secret sauce. Sorry!
I hope someone is working on delay compensation concept as it starts to gets more and more frustrating to use parallel channels with FXs. And it just gets worst with every great FX Re released. Also please implement a proper freeze based on the bounce in place option as it could greatly increase the number of Res one can use per project.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Massimo

11 Oct 2016

Ahah :D
Unfortunately my credit card is only working with me!

Few combinations attached (Antidote required)...not intended to be a close emulation...for those type of sounds we have The Legend...
Attachments
Parsec Saw Pad.zip
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Parsec Moog.zip
(7.66 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

Massimo

11 Oct 2016

Small mod wheel option added!
Attachments
Parsec Moog Wheel.zip
(7.69 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Massimo

11 Oct 2016

Pan Parsec!

Ok...then I`ll stop it...promise :redface:
Attachments
Pan Parsec.zip
(7.69 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

riemac

11 Oct 2016

supersplaron wrote:
Shokstar wrote:PH should take a look on the patches right now, the level output for each patch isn´t balanced to -12db. some patches have a level output by +14,2dB. Please fix that, so is it hard to use it in realtime, means to switch between the patches during the song plays!
We put out version 2.0.2 yesterday as well which should address this. Could you tell me if you had this problem with 2.0.1 or with 2.0.2 as well?
Are you sure that the level adjustment in version 2.02 for the spread modes were a good idea? Now the Volume of the sound changes when spread is adjusted. This was not the case in version 2.01.

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2016

For me, parsec 1 was good only for textures in my tracks. Now after update i can easily do some main sounds, so im happy that my really hard earned 39 eur is in props wallet now.

I loved parsec 1 and i think, that v.2 brings something new to our relationship ;-)

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

Karim
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:Well here's my short little rant for this year. For the next 364 days I'll make sure to spread good vibes on this forum instead of whiney opinionated crap like this :)

I can understand criticism about not being able to try the product before buying, or criticism if a product doesn't work the way it's supposed to. That's all fine and reasonable.
But when people complain about things not being free I find it pretty funny.
Why would anyone expect to get anything for free? Sorry but this all sounds like self entitlement to me.
I mean a company trying to make money off of their products? What is this? This is outragous!!!
Sometimes you make good deals and sometimes you make bad ones. That's life. I don't see anyone complaining about the unfairness when you happen to make a good deal while other people bought it months ago for the double price you paid. Prices and products values change all the time.

Whenever you're lucky enough to recieve a gift, you take it and you're greatful. You don't expect it or take it for granted.
It's pretty funny when some people act like they get personally attacked when free stuff isn't given to them. Propellerhead is running a business, they're not a charity organisation, or your best friend.

Well that's my take on it. I'll go back to what matters now, making music.

Sorry for taking up space in what should be a thread about Parsec 2, not posts like this.
+1000000 . Great post ever!

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

chimp_spanner

11 Oct 2016

I just spent close to 300 bucks on Camtasia Studio. One week later they're selling me an update for 99. Point is, PH are by no means unique in charging for updates. I kind of expect it tbh. It's not sustainable business to only earn from something once and continue to provide updates for free forever. The user base isn't going to increase exponentially. It'll level off at some point and then they either have to keep investing huge amounts of time and money into all new things that they can only really earn from once, or they have to move to a subscription model. Which I know a lot of people wouldn't like. Personally, if I knew it meant PH could continue working on the core software and official racks, I'd be happy to pay that. But that's not the system we have. So, paid update it is.

As far as Parsec goes, it feels like a new synth to me. It's way more usable and versatile. And I'm sure it'll earn its keep ;)

Shokstar

12 Oct 2016

The hard part of upgrade fees is the patient customer is paying less than the loyal customers because I bought parser for 99€ and parsec2 cost now 119€ and I invested now for parsec1&2 138,-€=19,-€ more than a new customer would buy it. Steinbergs customers pays for everything the same price. I think 19,-€ for these update sounds more fair because a new user would pay the same price.

rpowers9

12 Oct 2016

Waiting for either black Friday sale or holiday sale or bundle with R9/10 upgrade. Or maybe I'll sell my cousin Rocco to the Germans.

I've probably used Parsec more than any other Reason instrument. Absolutely love it. But holding out for a deal.

Loque

12 Oct 2016

Lot of discussions about the upgrade price... Some ppl forget the cost of development, testing and deploaying, not to forget the infrastructure... If my compony deploys a simple update of our large system, it easily costs around 250k. The customers normally dont need to pay for it, but they have expensive service contracts. A new major release costs easily 5-10M and we give the software quiet cheap away, but with expensive service contracts ;-)

Just think how expensive just a one dev is per month... Depending on the country you have to pay 5-15k per dev and you easily need 5 men months for a update, that makes 50k for it. Now you can calculate how many upgrades and full licenses you have to sell until you have a profit. And dont forget, the ppl want to get paid, even they dont make updates...

Just to be clear, i dont know how much PH invested in the update, but its always a risc and be thankfull you get a upgrade offer. And i am sure, PH will invest any profit wisely...
Reason12, Win10

jonheal

12 Oct 2016

Take the $40 that you feel is an exorbitant upgrade fee and instead, give it to the poor. You will be rewarded with a warm feeling inside. :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Shokstar

12 Oct 2016

I think we can talk a lot about the pricings etc, we can't change anything. Anyway I bought it and I'm happy now!

dana

12 Oct 2016

Hey well nobody has came on this thread and said they have recreated the patches with thor yet.

Skullture

12 Oct 2016

dana wrote:Hey well nobody has came on this thread and said they have recreated the patches with thor yet.
I almost thought you were a bot lol ;)

• Information