Parsec 2 is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Peter Jubel

10 Oct 2016

A bugfixversion of Parsec2 (2.0.1) will be released soon.
Fixlist:
* CombPeak modifier now sounds as in Parsec1 (Display Graphics also updated).
* Leftmost display was wrong width( 2Pixels).
* Overall Level was 6dB Lower than Parsec1.

Beware that the 6dB Level fix will change songs made with 2.0.0 (6dB higher level on Parsec devices), but will make songs made with Parsec1 sound the same.

mguh22

10 Oct 2016

Parsec2 is definitely worth the upgrade fee but if, for some reason, you decide you don't want to pay for the new features; it's not like you can't carry on still using Parsec1!

Cheers

Shokstar

10 Oct 2016

I think PH has made a mistake with the new update from V2.0.0 to V2.0.1.

Screenshot!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/icfh275h1vzc0 ... 7.png?dl=0

supersplaron

10 Oct 2016

Shokstar wrote:I think PH has made a mistake with the new update from V2.0.0 to V2.0.1.

Screenshot!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/icfh275h1vzc0 ... 7.png?dl=0
Should be fixed now. Thanks for catching this!

woozy

10 Oct 2016

Good news on V2.0.1 already check it and everything sounds as it should be, just curious how do lacthed source works in programmer?

riemac

10 Oct 2016

Peter Jubel wrote:A bugfixversion of Parsec2 (2.0.1) will be released soon.
Fixlist:
* CombPeak modifier now sounds as in Parsec1 (Display Graphics also updated).
* Leftmost display was wrong width( 2Pixels).
* Overall Level was 6dB Lower than Parsec1.

Beware that the 6dB Level fix will change songs made with 2.0.0 (6dB higher level on Parsec devices), but will make songs made with Parsec1 sound the same.
Thanks for the fast update. I have a question about the "Dual Saw" generator. Did you change the range of the detune amount in the update to one octave apart or was this already the same in Version 1? To me it sounds different then in Version 1 but I can't compare it anymore. Does it compromise backward compatibility?

CR68

10 Oct 2016

i bought it and its a really great update! its a really fair price! thx ph´s for such a great update!

my thoughts on parsec: we got now wt and resynth samples inside parsec. i believe, ph is working on sample import for the new sdk. so parsec will one time load my own samples! :-)

GRIFTY

10 Oct 2016

Gardinski wrote:
GRIFTY wrote:I'll bet they're making more money than ever right now too, which is frustrating in itself.
Why do you find that frustrating? Would you prefer that they made LESS money, thus making it less likely that Reason is still around in 10 or 15 years?

Surely it's better that the company makes great, healthy, ongoing profits, so that we can continue using our DAW of choice for the rest of our creative lifespans.
It's frustrating because they outright ignore the main feature requests. I love the players but who TF asked for them. The creators don't owe us squat, this I know, but they go a bit far with fan disservice. And I'll bet they are making more money than ever, which is frustrating, because there's no incentive for them to change. Just a bunch of whiny ass complainers like me

Shokstar

10 Oct 2016

PH should take a look on the patches right now, the level output for each patch isn´t balanced to -12db. some patches have a level output by +14,2dB. Please fix that, so is it hard to use it in realtime, means to switch between the patches during the song plays!

stratatonic

10 Oct 2016

CR68 wrote:i believe, ph is working on sample import for the new sdk. so parsec will one time load my own samples! :-)
I wonder how much Propellerhead will charge for the sample loading capabilities of Parsec3.

selig
RE Developer

10 Oct 2016

GRIFTY wrote:
Gardinski wrote:
GRIFTY wrote:I'll bet they're making more money than ever right now too, which is frustrating in itself.
Why do you find that frustrating? Would you prefer that they made LESS money, thus making it less likely that Reason is still around in 10 or 15 years?

Surely it's better that the company makes great, healthy, ongoing profits, so that we can continue using our DAW of choice for the rest of our creative lifespans.
It's frustrating because they outright ignore the main feature requests. I love the players but who TF asked for them. The creators don't owe us squat, this I know, but they go a bit far with fan disservice. And I'll bet they are making more money than ever, which is frustrating, because there's no incentive for them to change. Just a bunch of whiny ass complainers like me
I'm not one to quickly dismiss a "whiny ass complainer" because I've come to believe there is always a grain of truth in every whine! I instead try to listen carefully and see if there's something substantial underneath the whining.

However, I'm not following you here, probably because I'm not sure what you mean by a "main feature request" is. Do you mean something as broad as a global browser upgrade?

The Props have, over the years, occasionally mentioned (typically in response to questions such as these) that they do extensive market research and choose the most popular features. Why wouldn't they? If they really were "money grubbing" as others have suggested, wouldn't they then go for the MOST money by adding the most requested features?

I agree that from an individual perspective, it looks like they are not adding the "obvious" (to each of us) features. For example, I had assumed auto-punch was an obvious feature that would have universal acceptance. But when I suggested in here (or in the old PUF, can't remember TBH), most folks dismissed it and offered workarounds (which were all extremely clunky to my way of thinking). So even when you feel your suggestion is "obvious", and even when every other DAW has that feature except for Reason, and even when a majority of folks on a forum like this agree (though we are an extremely small slice of the user base), turns out that in many cases only a minority actually agree.

That's been my experience, fwiw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

kuhliloach

10 Oct 2016

I've been thinking long and hard about this thread and the potential advantages / disadvantages of purchasing Parsec 2. I've come to the conclusion that the $39 I've spent on certain synth RE's is probably still too much money.

So, I've officially lowered my max expenditure per RE synth to $29, making the purchase of Parsec 2 even less likely for me by a factor of ten dollars. I'd like to make all RE developers aware that if you price a software synth at higher than $29 I will not be purchasing it.

Gorgon

10 Oct 2016

kuhliloach wrote:I've been thinking long and hard about this thread and the potential advantages / disadvantages of purchasing Parsec 2. I've come to the conclusion that the $39 I've spent on certain synth RE's is probably still too much money.

So, I've officially lowered my max expenditure per RE synth to $29, making the purchase of Parsec 2 even less likely for me by a factor of ten dollars. I'd like to make all RE developers aware that if you price a software synth at higher than $29 I will not be purchasing it.
That's about my limit. Got a bunch of cool RE's though. Parsec is fun and all but if you compare it to something like Reaktor it's really not worth the money. Not even half.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Gorgon

10 Oct 2016

selig wrote: The Props have, over the years, occasionally mentioned (typically in response to questions such as these) that they do extensive market research and choose the most popular features. Why wouldn't they? If they really were "money grubbing" as others have suggested, wouldn't they then go for the MOST money by adding the most requested features?
It's not about most requested features. It's about what you can sell that people don't need. THAT is where the real money is.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

platzangst

10 Oct 2016

selig wrote: I agree that from an individual perspective, it looks like they are not adding the "obvious" (to each of us) features. For example, I had assumed auto-punch was an obvious feature that would have universal acceptance. But when I suggested in here (or in the old PUF, can't remember TBH), most folks dismissed it and offered workarounds (which were all extremely clunky to my way of thinking). So even when you feel your suggestion is "obvious", and even when every other DAW has that feature except for Reason, and even when a majority of folks on a forum like this agree (though we are an extremely small slice of the user base), turns out that in many cases only a minority actually agree.
I know I must have mentioned it before, but it's a feature of the human personality to assume that one's own personal viewpoint is a representation of a "baseline" human viewpoint - that is, "well, I'm a regular person, and I feel this way, so regular people (meaning most people) must feel the way I do." The corollary to this is that anyone who doesn't feel the same way must not be regular in some way, or are deluded ("sheeple").

This is a natural enough way to think, but I feel it is useful for a person to step back every so often and look at the larger picture, and get some perspective on their beliefs - not necessarily to change them (though that too can be useful), but to get an idea of what the world around you really thinks, not what you assume is what "everyone knows"...

A bit of a digression, perhaps, but I think it's a point to keep in mind now and then.

platzangst

10 Oct 2016

Gorgon wrote:It's about what you can sell that people don't need. THAT is where the real money is.
What people actually need are food, water and shelter. Everything else is gravy.

submonsterz

10 Oct 2016

platzangst wrote:
Gorgon wrote:It's about what you can sell that people don't need. THAT is where the real money is.
What people actually need are food, water and shelter. Everything else is gravy.
so glad you made that statement .....
business is a corrupt and in lots of cases unethical and pure greed
even those three are amongst the top for controlling and leaching and enslaving your life .
and people are willing to insta buy into it and think people who are awake to what the world actually is other than the ones that refuse to see it or go against are whiners or not thinking correctly .
if what you say is true (which it is ) then why are companies etc being allowed to make more than what is needed to live on ...
ask yourself that question .
and you may find who is right and who is wrong and who actually care about you and everyone else on this planet in how they object to being leached for what most people get out of hard work and man hours far beyond elitist held positions (that normally are so much less work and involvement or physical and health detrimental than the lower classes out there have to live with by far).
just food for thought .

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2016

kuhliloach wrote:I've been thinking long and hard about this thread and the potential advantages / disadvantages of purchasing Parsec 2. I've come to the conclusion that the $39 I've spent on certain synth RE's is probably still too much money.

Why don't you put some money aside each month, reserved for RE purchases. Like 10-15 bucks, or whatever fits your budget.
That way you can still buy more expensive stuff if you want. You'll just have to wait a little longer.

Like I said imo you are missing out on some good stuff if your limit is 29$ for a purchase.
Like someone mentioned in some thread here, buy a big synth like Expanse and you'll get the same amount of options as if you bought 5 cheaper ones, maybe even more options with Expanse to be honest. So if you look at it that way an "expensive" synth really isn't that expensive.

Have you even tried the bigger more expensive synths like Expanse? Are or you afraid that you might actually prefer it over cheaper synths?
Again cheaper stuff can be awesome too. But sometimes you just want something super awesome, right?

Anyway it's your choice obviously. You do what you feel is right for you.
All I know is Expanse and The Legend are my new two favorite synths for Reason and they're both "expensive".

ojiisan

10 Oct 2016

I'm going to be making a quick video soon to showcase the new features in Parsec 2. I really like it :D

jfrichards

10 Oct 2016

Another big factor in value, as in forking out $39 for the advances in Parsec 2, for me, always includes evaluating the inspiration factor. Certain devices inspire me more than other ones. In the case of the version 2 upgrade, I have found dozens and dozens of inspirational sounds, and inspirational, even invitational, methods, to get to cooler sounds that push me creatively. Getting pushed, for me, is not just about the sounds I'm getting, but also the push to compose, arrange, and orchestrate based on the sounds and the methodologies, both in exploring complexity, and in the speed that I can achieve with the new ideas, both complex and simple. From this point of view, Parsec 2 is outstanding. It makes me appreciate the designers, that they followed up with the new stuff. I had to buy it.
https://allihoopa.com/s/2aLbwYXj
I have always used Parsec. I'll use it a lot more now.
For me, the $99 upgrade for Thor, known as The Legend, is more difficult because that is a lot of money for me these days. I'll have to save up for that one. It's inspiring me during the trial like P2.

frog974new

10 Oct 2016

not buy Parsec V1 , but this time hum..hum.. its on my radar ^^
this new version is a monster

Gorgon

11 Oct 2016

platzangst wrote: What people actually need are food, water and shelter. Everything else is gravy.
That is such crap.

platzangst

11 Oct 2016

submonsterz wrote: if what you say is true (which it is ) then why are companies etc being allowed to make more than what is needed to live on ...
ask yourself that question .

"Allowed"? Who is supposedly doing the allowing?

Musicians make music for enjoyment. Nobody truly needs music just to survive, but music can make life more enjoyable. Software companies make music programs that enable some people to create music. Again, none of this is needed in the most basic sense. The only need is conditional; i.e., if you want to make music on a computer, you will need to have access to some tools (like a computer and software) in order to do that.

Reason 1 is sufficient to make music. But some people may want to make music of a type not easily done in Reason 1. And so there are progressively more features added to subsequent versions of Reason. Now people can use Reason 9 to make a much wider variety of music. Nobody needs additive synthesis. Nobody needs modeled virtual analog synthesis that mimics real-life vintage synths that also are not really needed by anybody. People just want this stuff.

And so when it comes to music software, if someone implies that someone is being sold more than they need, that much is far truer than perhaps they intended. It's all surplus to requirements. The only question is whether any particular item helps you create the kind of music you want to create. And whether you're willing to pay the seller's price for what you want.

Gorgon wrote:That is such crap.
That is in no way a rebuttal.

supersplaron

11 Oct 2016

Shokstar wrote:PH should take a look on the patches right now, the level output for each patch isn´t balanced to -12db. some patches have a level output by +14,2dB. Please fix that, so is it hard to use it in realtime, means to switch between the patches during the song plays!
We put out version 2.0.2 yesterday as well which should address this. Could you tell me if you had this problem with 2.0.1 or with 2.0.2 as well?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

11 Oct 2016

GRIFTY wrote:It's frustrating because they outright ignore the main feature requests. I love the players but who TF asked for them. The creators don't owe us squat, this I know, but they go a bit far with fan disservice. And I'll bet they are making more money than ever, which is frustrating, because there's no incentive for them to change. Just a bunch of whiny ass complainers like me
Which, according to you, are the main feature requests?

If there's one thing I can promise you, it's that we listen to our users. The Players were a direct result of extensive user research identifying that people wanted new ways to play and create the musical content, not the sound. In other words, many asked for them—though not as directly as "we want Players please". Asking for a specific feature or function directly is not how most user research in most companies work, but that's another discussion for another day. :)

I'd also go so far to say that every upgrade since Reason 6 (and probably before, but I didn't work here then) has had plenty of additions based on user requests. Adding audio to Reason, the external MIDI device, spectrum analyzer with EQ, Rack Extensions, new browser etc. etc. were all highly requested features or solved common user problems.

Anyway, I can still understand and respect your frustration. I wish we could do everything at once but we have to prioritise. I continuously read Reason Talk and feedback@propellerheads.se so keep sending your suggestions, problems you're having and so on. It's very helpful! :thumbs_up:

• Information