Parsec 2 is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
alex

12 Oct 2016

I upgraded to Parsec 2 and still have to get acquainted with the new features. Meanwhile I'm trying the new sounds which are gorgeous ... For example, whoever did this "Rhodes Island" EP is a genius, so mellow and sweet, here's an example:

Great sound :thumbs_up:
Cheers!
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Ostermilk

12 Oct 2016

I started to read this thread and in the end I felt it was just simpler to drop €39 on the thing.

Maybe that's just because I just got back from a week in Paris where I soon got used to getting no change from €40 just buying a couple of cheese and ham toasties along with a coffee or two.

Give me a couple of weeks back home and I might revert back to my skinflint ol' self where €40 seems like a big stretch again. Next time I visit the French capital I'll take a jar of coffee a loaf of bread and a block of cheese and I should be set to buy any RE's I want within a couple of days... :cool:

Parsec 2 is seems much tastier than a cheese sandwich just now though.

Loque

12 Oct 2016

Ostermilk wrote:I started to read this thread and in the end I felt it was just simpler to drop €39 on the thing.

Maybe that's just because I just got back from a week in Paris where I soon got used to getting no change from €40 just buying a couple of cheese and ham toasties along with a coffee or two.

Give me a couple of weeks back home and I might revert back to my skinflint ol' self where €40 seems like a big stretch again. Next time I visit the French capital I'll take a jar of coffee a loaf of bread and a block of cheese and I should be set to buy any RE's I want within a couple of days... :cool:

Parsec 2 is seems much tastier than a cheese sandwich just now though.
Its the price of four orange juices in some areas in spain lol...
Reason12, Win10

The_G

13 Oct 2016

Sounds really nice on the demo, and the interface does look like an upgrade from the original. Unfortunately, between the Minilogue, Expanse and Diva, my synth budget has been exhausted for 2016.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

13 Oct 2016

alex wrote:I upgraded to Parsec 2 and still have to get acquainted with the new features. Meanwhile I'm trying the new sounds which are gorgeous ... For example, whoever did this "Rhodes Island" EP is a genius, so mellow and sweet, here's an example:

Great sound :thumbs_up:
Cheers!
That's Pelle! He has the advantage of also having made the synth ;)

Lowas

13 Oct 2016

More fame, with so many synth goodies lately for Reason "Spectral Lights" made me get into Parsec again and upgrade :)

pjeudy

13 Oct 2016

MattiasHG wrote:That's Pelle! He has the advantage of also having made the synth ;)
Soo when are the Pele tutorial coming..? I rather get it straight from the Man himself .
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Abstrax

13 Oct 2016

I'm surprised no one has made a review/overview video of parsec 2. I would like to see more in depth details and features.

joeyluck

14 Oct 2016

Abstrax wrote:I'm surprised no one has made a review/overview video of parsec 2. I would like to see more in depth details and features.
It's probably in the works, I'm sure :)

supersplaron

14 Oct 2016

Justen Williams posted a video of him making a beat using only Parsec 2 (outside of the drums). Check it out:

chimp_spanner

14 Oct 2016

Hnnnnnnnnnffff. Playing with link mode and the Thor wavetables. And it's just insane. I've got a new sound design job coming up next month and this is gonna absolutely smash it.

Loque

15 Oct 2016

After playing around with Parsec i missed LFO CV outs. IMO every synth should have this to synchronize other FX or signals with those LFOs. 2 more CV ins and routable CV outs would be nice too. Due i cannot test Parsec 2, i also missed some Routing destinations like Sustain. I hope this will be added.
Reason12, Win10

alex

17 Oct 2016

Here's a few minutes video session of me playing with Parsec 2, I did it for my own purpose and for a friend of mine.

Disclaimer: it is not intended to be a tutorial or a showcase of the new features! It's far from being complete! It's just me having some quick fun and messing around with it for a bit.

I thought to share it here for those who cannot try it but are curious and maybe want to grasp about it a little more, until a new youtube video (better than mine) will be available.

In my opinion it is really powerful and well worth the upgrade price! :thumbs_up:

Ciao!
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Yonatan

18 Oct 2016

How about the resynth acoustic sounds? Piano, strings etc, are they handy?

EnochLight

19 Oct 2016

EnochLight wrote:Fancy wallpaper time!
Parsec@_wallpaper.jpg
Parsec@_wallpaper.jpg (458.97 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Looks like Todd over at Urban Sound Studios is a fan of my wallpaper! ;)
hahahah.jpg
hahahah.jpg (322.16 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Emian

20 Oct 2016

Wow, i upgraded from version 1 to 2 ... & i' m impressed !!

Parsec doesn't sound so "thin " anymore, & the visual modifiers are super handy !!

Great job Props; this eases the pain for me not having the € for eXpanse right now ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

antic604

18 Sep 2018

I really wish for a 3.0 version - even paid one, LOL - that'd keep the feature-set of v2, but bring back the GUI of v1...

I mean what was the thinking process behind replacing such a futuristic, slick and spaceship-like design of this:

...with something as mundane and pedestrain as this:

:?

BTW, I never even knew v1 looked differently (I'm using Reason since Sept '17) but then I saw some random YT video and immediately though "what's that beautiful-looking synth!!! gotta get it" to realise I already do...

Auryn

18 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I really wish for a 3.0 version - even paid one, LOL - that'd keep the feature-set of v2, but bring back the GUI of v1...
See, I completely agree about the bizarre downgrade in GUI for parsec... I actually never got the update (probably subconsciously because I resent the ugly new GUI :lol: ) My only guess is people complained about the relative lack of contrast in the old one.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

eXode

18 Sep 2018

I'd love to see the effects section from Grain and Europa implemented in Parsec.

KirkMarkarian

18 Sep 2018

eXode wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I'd love to see the effects section from Grain and Europa implemented in Parsec.
That would be handy! The delay/reverb are the same, but to have the rest would be fun :) Synchronous is the effects processor with all of the same effects algorithms, I believe, but it's not quite the same as having 'em on the synth itself.

Undistraction

18 Sep 2018

I have to say, for all the terrible decisions and general product mismanagement at Propellerhead in recent years, Parsec is truly a thing of wonder. In a world of similar-sounding synths it stands out from the crowd.

And I much prefer the the V2 UI. V1 looks like it was left unfinished by a Star Trek fan.

KirkMarkarian

18 Sep 2018

Undistraction wrote:
18 Sep 2018
I have to say, for all the terrible decisions and general product mismanagement at Propellerhead in recent years, Parsec is truly a thing of wonder. In a world of similar-sounding synths it stands out from the crowd.

And I much prefer the the V2 UI. V1 looks like it was left unfinished by a Star Trek fan.
Agreed, I also prefer the second version. Not a fan of the original design, preferring straight lines to curves here.

AzureEyes

18 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:I really wish for a 3.0 version - even paid one, LOL - that'd keep the feature-set of v2, but bring back the GUI of v1...

I mean what was the thinking process behind replacing such a futuristic, slick and spaceship-like design of this:

...with something as mundane and pedestrain as this:

:?

BTW, I never even knew v1 looked differently (I'm using Reason since Sept '17) but then I saw some random YT video and immediately though "what's that beautiful-looking synth!!! gotta get it" to realise I already do...
I'm pretty sure Parsec 3.0 is in the cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

antic604

18 Sep 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
18 Sep 2018
Undistraction wrote:
18 Sep 2018

Agreed, I also prefer the second version. Not a fan of the original design, preferring straight lines to curves here.
There are no curves there. You mean slanted lines, surely? Well, I like the "unfinished by a Star Trek fan" look a lot :)

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 Sep 2018

Yeah, the Parsec 1 UI wasn’t great. The layout didn’t reflect the signal path: You went from the generators in the middle, to the modifiers up top, to the center-middle for everything else. Parsec 2 fixed this quite handily with everything going more or less from top to bottom.

All the angles and bevels might have looked cool to some, but they didn’t really fit. Angles and curves are fine if you’re designing a car, but for something with a lot of rectangular displays and controls like a synthesizer, they just look tacked-on. Parsec 2’s less flashy layout is much better.

Lastly, Parsec 1 just didn’t quite look like a Propellerhead device. It wasn’t up to the exacting standard of Thor or Mälstrom, while Parsec 2 manages to look the part. (I have the same criticism of Europa and Grain; I hope some future version of Reason revisits some of the more arbitrary design decisions around those devices.)

• Information