Synapse's The Legend Synthesizer Song Challenge

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
4filegate

26 Sep 2016

K.Markov wrote: it's still tour de france, right? :puf_smile:

Yes - two lighthouses Cap Fréhel

Reasonistas
RE Developer

27 Sep 2016

4filegate wrote:
K.Markov wrote:
Noel G. wrote: No cover songs
hmmm ;)
Updated rules - read above - upload was before No cover songs rules was added

by the way - it has another tonality and comes with modular Factory feature of TheLegend

RE Quick Test Shot during night - the week-end job was sail teacher :)
4filegate wrote:
K.Markov wrote: it's still tour de france, right? :puf_smile:

Yes - two lighthouses Cap Fréhel

I've been thinking about the best way to address while being fair to everyone. The issue is 4filegate submitted his Kraftwerk cover song before we decided to make it clear in the rules that cover songs were not permitted. I think a fair approach in this case is to remove the "No cover songs" rule in this song challenge so we can accept 4filegate's cover entry and allow others to submit cover songs is they wish to do so. The "No cover songs" rule will be enforced on future song challenges. Good luck to all.
ImageImageImage

K.Markov

27 Sep 2016

that's fair :puf_smile:

tsteger

27 Sep 2016

SAUL

28 Sep 2016

Hello! Here is my entry.

Skullture

28 Sep 2016

SAUL wrote:Hello! Here is my entry.

Not sure if you're allowed to comment here but holy crap this is a good one :shock:

Loque

28 Sep 2016

Here is my entry. Have fun with it.

Reason12, Win10

frog974new

28 Sep 2016

with all those entry may be it'll be friendly to add spolier on the forum

[spoiler]{TEXT}[/spoiler]

then for the first post wih all entry we'll be able to pack entry per 5 or 10 , no need to scroll a big page and waiting 5 min if there's many track ;)

Dante

28 Sep 2016

Noel G. wrote:Welcome to Reasonistas and Synapse Audio's The Legend Synthesizer Song Challenge.

What you may not use in your song:
  • No external plug-ins or hardware
This rule requires a bit more clarification. I use the XITE-1D DSP Rack Mount unit for Mastering. It connects from my workstation via PCIe card and HDMI cable. Master bus from Reason is then routed via ASIO to this device for mixdown/mastering.

Now, I guess you might not consider a PCIe card DSP processor 'external' - but given my DSP does the same job just extended via a cable outside the PC - is that disqualified ?

Would an entry using say a PCIe UAD2 DSP card qualify but an UAD2 Apollo used for the same purpose be disqualified ?

Reasonistas
RE Developer

28 Sep 2016

Dante wrote:
Noel G. wrote:Welcome to Reasonistas and Synapse Audio's The Legend Synthesizer Song Challenge.

What you may not use in your song:
  • No external plug-ins or hardware
This rule requires a bit more clarification. I use the XITE-1D DSP Rack Mount unit for Mastering. It connects from my workstation via PCIe card and HDMI cable. Master bus from Reason is then routed via ASIO to this device for mixdown/mastering.

Now, I guess you might not consider a PCIe card DSP processor 'external' - but given my DSP does the same job just extended via a cable outside the PC - is that disqualified ?

Would an entry using say a PCIe UAD2 DSP card qualify but an UAD2 Apollo used for the same purpose be disqualified ?
The spirit of these song challenges has always been to showcase the possibilities of the developer's synth, but also to demonstrate the sonic capabilities of Reason "in the box", hence the "no external plug-ins or hardware" rule. This means mastering outside of Reason is not permitted. I hope I've understood your question and provided a clear response.
ImageImageImage

Dante

28 Sep 2016

Understand the spirit, but that still needs to translate to specifics. So your answer clears up half the question.

I also run Scope PCI cards in the same box. I could run the mastering plugins on those, but at a lower sample rate.

Since the PCI cards are inside the box, would those qualify ? Or - would the rule run that only the host CPU could be used (eg no other DSP chips via PCI / PCIe bus inside the box) ?

I think this is a fair question.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

28 Sep 2016

Dante wrote:Understand the spirit, but that still needs to translate to specifics. So your answer clears up half the question.

I also run Scope PCI cards in the same box. I could run the mastering plugins on those, but at a lower sample rate.

Since the PCI cards are inside the box, would those qualify ? Or - would the rule run that only the host CPU could be used (eg no other DSP chips via PCI / PCIe bus inside the box) ?

I think this is a fair question.
To be clear, the rules do not permit the use of external vst plugins and/or mastering outside of Reason. So the song you submit must be mastered inside Reason using either stock Reason devices or Rack Extensions. Winners are required to submit their Reason song file so we can verify compliance with these rules.
ImageImageImage

Dante

28 Sep 2016

Ok thanks - in other words, only Reason itself (and therefore native CPU only) can be used in the sound generation process.

Reasonistas
RE Developer

29 Sep 2016

Dante wrote:Ok thanks - in other words, only Reason itself (and therefore native CPU only) can be used in the sound generation process.
That's correct.
ImageImageImage

Dante

29 Sep 2016

A couple of other rule clarifications:

1) The word 'song' to me implies words and lyrics. Does this disqualify instrumentals ?
2) I have an original (composed by myself years ago) instrumental that I would like to re-voice using Legend and possibly enter that if it works out sonically. Would that be allowed, or would the composition have to be entirely composed after the announcement of the competition ?

Just a note on the cover song thing, that's probably covered by the 'originality' criteria, which already implies cover songs would be allowed, they just wouldn't have as much chance as originals of similar sonic quality.

4filegate

29 Sep 2016

is it me you're looking for?

Pan/Zoom/Crop/Rotate/Spin-PixelFactory
Last edited by 4filegate on 09 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

chimp_spanner

29 Sep 2016

Hey guys, probably a silly/obvious question but where under drums it says "FSB or any sample library" does this include the A-List drummers?

Reasonistas
RE Developer

29 Sep 2016

Dante wrote:A couple of other rule clarifications:

1) The word 'song' to me implies words and lyrics. Does this disqualify instrumentals ?
2) I have an original (composed by myself years ago) instrumental that I would like to re-voice using Legend and possibly enter that if it works out sonically. Would that be allowed, or would the composition have to be entirely composed after the announcement of the competition ?

Just a note on the cover song thing, that's probably covered by the 'originality' criteria, which already implies cover songs would be allowed, they just wouldn't have as much chance as originals of similar sonic quality.
1.) Instrumentals are permitted.
2.) Yes, this is allowed.

Good Luck.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

29 Sep 2016

chimp_spanner wrote:Hey guys, probably a silly/obvious question but where under drums it says "FSB or any sample library" does this include the A-List drummers?
Yes, A-List Drummer Re is sampled based.
ImageImageImage

SA Studio

30 Sep 2016

Hey Noel :)

Is using the Neptune to process vocals allowed?

Reasonistas
RE Developer

30 Sep 2016

SA Studio wrote:Hey Noel :)

Is using the Neptune to process vocals allowed?
Yes.

What you may use in your song (with copyright permission):
  • Any Reason native and rack extension Effects and Utilities, including R9 "Players" (no external plug-ins or hardware)
ImageImageImage

sdst
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2016

hi, here my entry for the legend. :)

Tumble

30 Sep 2016

Might as well - My entry:

9 Legends (8x Synapse + 1x Sylvia Massy, hehe)

Peter

01 Oct 2016

Hi guys! I felt another one because the synth is just so cool. :D This one is more club-oriented tech house 122BPM. I told my girlfriend to go in the living room and record some weird random shit with her phone and she delivered the goods. Miss Big Green Eyes.

Lowas

02 Oct 2016

Here is my contribution, a house track.
Had lots of fun making the track,
Cheers :)

• Information